Recruits at the Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Recruits at the Game

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Confirmed by Paul Doyle:

Three UConn recruiting targets were at the game: freshman guard Azzi Fudd of Falls Church, Va.; sophomore guard Paige Bueckers of Eden Prairie, Minn.; and junior forward Aliyah Boston of Worcester. …

It should be noted that Bueckers and Fudd are both being recruited by Notre Dame, and were both in South Bend a few weeks ago. Not sure if Boston is.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Confirmed by Paul Doyle:

Three UConn recruiting targets were at the game: freshman guard Azzi Fudd of Falls Church, Va.; sophomore guard Paige Bueckers of Eden Prairie, Minn.; and junior forward Aliyah Boston of Worcester. …

It should be noted that Bueckers and Fudd are both being recruited by Notre Dame, and were both in South Bend a few weeks ago. Not sure if Boston is.
There are visits and then there are visits. 15,000+ fans rocking the XL center to go with a great comeback win by UConn over ND. I’m guessing Azzi, Paige & Aliyah can’t wait to suit up for the Huskies.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
They will never forget what they saw and experienced today. If they weren't UConn fans when they walked in, they where when they left. Let's not forget they had UConn tee shirts on during the game. One more box checked off.

Re Azzi Fudd: Notre Dame is not going gentle into the good night.

"Fudd has already lunched with the Notre Dame coach in South Bend, Indiana, and while walking back to meet her mom, took a serendipitous wrong turn only to bump into WNBA star and Irish alum Skylar Diggins-Smith."

Not that Diggins was stalking her the whole time setting an accidental meeting or did someone accidentally give her wrong directions. Hmmmmmm.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
There are visits and then there are visits. 15,000+ fans rocking the XL center to go with a great comeback win by UConn over ND. I’m guessing Azzi, Paige & Aliyah can’t wait to suit up for the Huskies.
Well all three were sitting on the UConn side. Replay the game and watch how much Boston (in red) and Paige are rooting for UConn. They've got the scent now and I don't think they'll be satisfied with anything else.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Aren't many women's games that are 15,000 sell outs.Recruits won't see that anywhere else.
They also do pretty well down in Dawnville. Not 15K, but pretty well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well all three were sitting on the UConn side. Replay the game and watch how much Boston (in red) and Paige are rooting for UConn. They've got the scent now and I don't think they'll be satisfied with anything else.
You may have seen more than I noticed on my laptop. I saw Aliyah and Paige clap after Kia's putback and Aliyah applaud after Z's baseline three. Otherwise, I thought they were somewhere between noncommittal and stoic.

Reaction Score
I re-watched the 4th q and concentrated on the recruits and it is clear that PB was very much into it for UConn especially after Walkers basket and Danger first missing, getting the rebound and scoring.

HGN

Reaction Score
Not many teams will offer Paige or Azzi they type of crowd that we had today.
Milford, what you said is probably true regarding the type of crowd. Not with that high level of play , enthusiastic crowd ,
and come-from-behind-victory by the favored Home team..... Not many teams can offer the recruits that. Right now I can't think
of anyone that would have beaten ND in the 4th qtr , down by 11 , but The Huskies.

If the recruits were not impressed by ALL that they are not BB players. And I know they are. And among the best in their
class at that. My hope is that many other recruits were also watching.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
My only problem with this comment is that Manischewitz is really horrible wine. ;)

LOL! When I was in college, I often bought Manischewitz “Extra Heavy Malaga.” It was overpriced at $1.29 a bottle. I typically invited a favorite young lady to share the wine with me and munch some bread sticks. That wine was like cough syrup. The young lady? She married me anyway, despite my poor taste in fermented grape.

Reaction Score
I don't have the foggiest idea about NCAA recruitment rules (where are you, Coco?), and I guess what they can do, whom and how they interact with, on their visits largely depends on whether it's self-paid or the official one. But very obviously, no one thing like yesterday makes that big a difference. I'm sure they realize that if the game had been at South Bend, there would have been the same energy, but flowing toward the Irish. UConn--like every other top school--loses far, far more recruits than it actually signs.

Reaction Score
LOL! When I was in college, I often bought Manischewitz “Extra Heavy Malaga.” It was overpriced at $1.29 a bottle. I typically invited a favorite young lady to share the wine with me and munch some bread sticks. That wine was like cough syrup. The young lady? She married me anyway, despite my poor taste in fermented grape.
like the famous Melaga Cooler in "A New Leaf".

At least it wasn't Mogen David 20-20, which we used to call Mad Dog.

HGN

Reaction Score
You may have seen more than I noticed on my laptop. I saw Aliyah and Paige clap after Kia's putback and Aliyah applaud after Z's baseline three. Otherwise, I thought they were somewhere between noncommittal and stoic.
Milford , I agree with your take.............The good thing I took from it when I re-watched was that it looked like a couple had on
UConn sweatshirts and were sitting behind UConn's bench and not the others guys bench. The 3rd young lady , in red , I now know was Aliyah Boston from this board. I would LOVE all 3 . But will happily settle for 2 of the 3. Any combo.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
like the famous Melaga Cooler in "A New Leaf".
At least it wasn't Mogen David 20-20, which we used to call Mad Dog.

Ah, my days of young and stupid. I probably descended to MD, too. Then there was Annie Green Springs, Boone’s Farm, and (God save me) “Key Largo.” It was around $2.50 a GALLON. It was so bad that my (now) wife refused to drink it. To understand Key Largo, think on the worst sangria you ever had, then cut it 50/50 with water from your garden hose.

Reaction Score

you don't think they were going to be given seats behind the Notre Dame bench do ya?:D

Reaction Score

MIL and DTBT: Like you, also spent time looking only at those kids, even going so far as some slo-mo views. Probably come down a little closer to Mil than Dtb on this one, though our bench was so enthused and up on their feet so much, the views of the recruits were not all that great.
From our viewer's left to right, there is as older gal on the left and then what seem to be three recruits; who is who among the recruits???
As far as the Diggins U-turn story, I'd have made an additional U-turn and headed the other way in the direction of Storrs; never had a good feeling about either the kid or the mom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
you don't think they were going to be given seats behind the Notre Dame bench do ya?:D

CHAR: yup, had meant to include that. I was imagining that they were behind our bench because they were visiting our school; don't know if they were being "hosted" in any way by us ....do you happen to know??

Reaction Score
CHAR: yup, had meant to include that. I was imagining that they were behind our bench because they were visiting our school; don't know if they were being "hosted" in any way by us ....do you happen to know??

I assume that everything was arranged by UConn but what amount of hosting they can actually do under NCAA rules is a mystery to me.............for all I know, Geno wasn't even allowed to turn around and wink to them during the game

Reaction Score
I don't have the foggiest idea about NCAA recruitment rules (where are you, Coco?), and I guess what they can do, whom and how they interact with, on their visits largely depends on whether it's self-paid or the official one. But very obviously, no one thing like yesterday makes that big a difference. I'm sure they realize that if the game had been at South Bend, there would have been the same energy, but flowing toward the Irish. UConn--like every other top school--loses far, far more recruits than it actually signs.

They were all unofficial visits. Official visits can't be taken until Senior year. The only benefit that UConn can provide on an unofficial visits is up to 3 tickets per recruit for a game. Offical visits are paid for entirely by the school and are limited to 48hrs. Besides that they are virtually the same.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Well, Azzi was stoic. At the start of the 4th Aliyah and Paige were occupied eating. At 8:04 Paige pumps her fist after a Walker basket (Aliyah was still eating popcorn). At 7:28 Aliyah nods her head after a Nurse 3. Paige seemed to be looking away eating (ice cream?). Aliyah cheered after Crystal drops a dime to Z at 6:49. At 6:05 Paige stands in anticipation of a 3 point play on a put back by Z. Paige and Aliyah cheered when Crystal follows her missed 3 with a put back at 5:13. Aliyah and Paige cheered when Z gives them the lead at 4:39. Aliyah and Paige cheered Nurse's layup at 3:52. Paige and Aliyah cheered Nurse's put back at 3:00. Aliyah cheered Z's short jumper at 2:17. All in all that was demonstrative enough for me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ah, my days of young and stupid. I probably descended to MD, too. Then there was Annie Green Springs, Boone’s Farm, and (God save me) “Key Largo.” It was around $2.50 a GALLON. It was so bad that my (now) wife refused to drink it. To understand Key Largo, think on the worst sangria you ever had, then cut it 50/50 with water from your garden hose.

You didn't have "Yago Sant'gria" in your fine wine cellar? :p

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well, Azzi was stoic. At the start of the 4th Aliyah and Paige were occupied eating. At 8:04 Paige pumps her fist after a Walker basket (Aliyah was still eating popcorn). At 7:28 Aliyah nods her head after a Nurse 3. Paige seemed to be looking away eating (ice cream?). Aliyah cheered after Crystal drops a dime to Z at 6:49. At 6:05 Paige stands in anticipation of a 3 point play on a put back by Z. Paige and Aliyah cheered when Crystal follows her missed 3 with a put back at 5:13. Aliyah and Page cheered when Z gives them the lead at 4:39. Aliyah and Paige cheered Nurse's layup at 3:52. Paige and Aliyah cheered Nurse's put back at 3:00. Aliyah cheered Z's short jumper at 2:17. All in all that was demonstrative enough for me.
Thanks. I missed a lot and will rematch. Azzi seemed less involved. Both Paige and Azzi were late getting to their seats after halftime.

Reaction Score
Is the girl sitting right next to Fudd a recruit to? I believe I've seen her at a game before and looks a little like 2020 Marshall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom