Recruits at the Game | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Recruits at the Game

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
LOL! When I was in college, I often bought Manischewitz “Extra Heavy Malaga.” It was overpriced at $1.29 a bottle. I typically invited a favorite young lady to share the wine with me and munch some bread sticks. That wine was like cough syrup. The young lady? She married me anyway, despite my poor taste in fermented grape.
That's the last time I invite you guys to my place for Passover.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
SC has replaced Tenn as the top attendance program. It helps that they keep their ticket prices much lower than, say, UConn. And it's a benefit that the weather in Columbia is milder in January & February than it is in Storrs. And of course Gampel only holds about 9K and a lot of those are bleacher seats. And finally, all UConn games are on cable TV. But the country is full of beautiful large college arenas in mild climates that have a hard time giving away tickets. Kudos to SC.

It helps USC has a fan base that goes to women's basketball games. A winning program also helps since prior to Dawn the same fan base did not attend nearly as well. So what is the reason UCONN's fan base is stuck at 8.800. It was greater than 10,000. Maybe UCONN can bus in more old folks - their true fan base. I wonder how many students USC gets per game versus UCONN. I wonder what percentage of fans in attendance are women. You would think anther 2,000 women could show up for the games. If they bring kids (sons, daughters, cousins, nephews, nieces) maybe they will return as adults. Where are all the Title 9 supporters? Perhaps in 5 years or so they will be at home watching their cable/satellite/streaming service while the UCONN women play in an empty arena. Oops! Without paying customers there will be no arenas. When Geno retires the UCONN women's basketball scene may be dismal.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It helps they have a fan base that goes to women's basketball games. A winning program also helps since prior to Dawn the same fan base did not attend nearly as well. So what is the reason UCONN's fan base is stuck at 8.800. Maybe UCONN can bus in more old folks - their true fan base. I wonder how many students USC gets per game versus UCONN.
Old.png

Reaction Score
In re-watching the game Paige and Azzi were wearing UConn shirts sitting behind the UConn bench. Watch Paige's reaction on many UConn baskets in the 4th quarter. If any other college other than UConn wants to recruit these two you're going to have a mountain to overcome. What a backcourt these two are going to make.
Great post, it deserves more than just a like. Thanks.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
But for some perspective, many of those tickets are almost given away. $30 for a SEASON TICKET. That is $2 per game! UConn has far more revenue from ticket sales.

According to the Census ACS 1-year survey, the median household income for Connecticut was $71,346 in 2015 (5th highest in USA), the latest figures available. Connecticut is #2 in per capita income. While South Carolina's median household income was $47,238 and #43 in per capita income. Perhaps the WCB is popular with the poor and lower income folks but not the well-to-do.

Reaction Score
It helps USC has a fan base that goes to women's basketball games. A winning program also helps since prior to Dawn the same fan base did not attend nearly as well. So what is the reason UCONN's fan base is stuck at 8.800. It was greater than 10,000. Maybe UCONN can bus in more old folks - their true fan base. I wonder how many students USC gets per game versus UCONN. I wonder what percentage of fans in attendance are women. You would think anther 2,000 women could show up for the games. If they bring kids (sons, daughters, cousins, nephews, nieces) maybe they will return as adults. Where are all the Title 9 supporters? Perhaps in 5 years or so they will be at home watching their cable/satellite/streaming service while the UCONN women play in an empty arena. Oops! Without paying customers there will be no arenas. When Geno retires the UCONN women's basketball scene may be dismal.

Your less than optimistic view of Uconn's fan base, and future isn't all that negative. I've preached to many young women of ANY team to step up and take full advantage of Title Nine and support WOMEN in all sports. Basketball is one I talk up.
Geno has lamented about his falling seat numbers, he attacked the fan base for missing Maya's final game at the XL. Geno can get emotional when he perceives one of his girls is being disrespected.
Finally Fans, have accepted that Success as the nature of Uconn , while drawing some home fans, loses it mystique when your team is winning at this high a rate--we live in a world of: What have you done for me Today! Look around what more can Uconn women do? Geno has accepted the loss of this mystique and fans in seats--it's part of being too good too long.
On the Uconn Women's basketball once Geno departs: No there won't be championships except maybe every 15 or 30 years as most other teams live with, however, maybe the Students will find WBB and as in the old UConn Men's game--who won 20 games a year , sometimes, it was fun going to games hoping My team would win. I missed few of those games with Dee Rowe and before.

Reaction Score
According to the Census ACS 1-year survey, the median household income for Connecticut was $71,346 in 2015 (5th highest in USA), the latest figures available. Connecticut is #2 in per capita income. While South Carolina's median household income was $47,238 and #43 in per capita income. Perhaps the WCB is popular with the poor and lower income folks but not the well-to-do.

Just as we, below the Mason/Dixon, always believed: Yankee's are over paid snobs. (too bad most of us are now displaced snobs who now have more in the bank than when we lived in over taxed Ct, just poor people )
Or maybe you could think that in SC--those poor people have finally got a team with a coach that can win, and this winning is new in USC but old in CT.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Raoul's notoriously miffed about UConn's supposed monopoly on recruiting.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Fudd is being recruited by ND and she probably did not want to seem as if she was favoring UCONN. Bueckers seemed not to care about who might be watching her, although some of her reactions were mild. I hope she does commit AND sign with UCONN.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Lets throw some facts into this discussion:

Season Ticket Prices for So Carolina WBB

$60 Reserved
Gamecock Club membership required for sections 105 & 114
$40 Corner Reserved
$30 General Admission

Couldn't find Season Ticket Price for UConn

However, a 5 Game Flex Pack would cost $152.00 Almost 3 times the price of South Carolina Reserve Seating

UConn doesn't have an SEC Football program and ESPN dollars coming into their Athletic Program.

So Carolina should sell out their Arena. They have a good team and the average cost of ticket per game is $4.00. I also imagine Parking is cheaper and its easier to get to the Arena in comparison getting to Storrs at night to watch a game.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
You don't see UCONN as a better product to buy? (Better? Best!) Should it not be more expensive? According to the Census ACS 1-year survey, the median household income for Connecticut was $71,346 in 2015 (5th highest in USA), the latest figures available. Connecticut is #2 in per capita income. While South Carolina's median household income was $47,238 and #43 in per capita income. Perhaps the WCB is popular with the poor folks folks from South Carolina but not the well-to-do from Connecticut. ;) Fact: UCONN's attendance has gone down and plateaued as they continue to dominate. Has the attendance for other dominate teams in any sport, professional or amateur, done the same with all of the cable/satellite/streaming services? Check out the prices for a professional game of any ilk. UCONN is a bargain.

Lets throw some facts into this discussion:

I also imagine So much for let's bring some facts into this discussion. :DParking is cheaper and its easier to get to the Arena in comparison getting to Storrs at night to watch a game.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Finally Fans, have accepted that Success as the nature of Uconn , while drawing some home fans, loses it mystique when your team is winning at this high a rate--we live in a world of: What have you done for me Today! Look around what more can Uconn women do?

I looked around and have not seen teams losing their mystique as they win. Saint Louis Cardinals may not dominate, but they never lost their rabid fan base who flock to the games. When the Yankees dominated for years did their gate suffer? Celtics? Lakers? Duke? Kentucky? San Antonio? Alabama? Connecticut is just not a big sports state. If the were, they would be in the Big 5. If politics were a sport, hey, we are talking rabid!!!:D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Compared to Hartford, Minneapolis is about 7 degrees colder on average in the winter and gets about the same amount of snow. Not a huge difference. It's not like Bueckers is from International Falls or Barrow.
Is that a solid number? I’m surprised that the winter difference isn’t double that.
No, not the same. Not really even close. There is a 10F difference in Jan/Feb for the Avg. high. But that's a big difference. 23/28F Avg means no snows gonna melt. 35/39 means snows gonna melt. When it snow out there snows stays for the winter. Around here, it snows, snow melts away, it snows some more, etc. Huge difference not seeing the grass from Dec to Mar/Apr.

It’s currently 17 degrees in Minnetonka, MN, home of Hopkins, HS & Paige Bueckers, and it will not get above freezing all day. :eek:
You forgot to add in the windchill. 5F. It's a lot windier out in the Great Plains than the Eastern Forests. All winter long.

Having grown up in IL (MN colder), the winters are much milder out here. The only thing really worse is you get bigger storms up here. Bigger snowfalls, but it doesn't stick around all winter. There are days (in a row) around here it doesn't break 32 for a high. There were days (in a row) in IL where it didn't break 0 for a high.

And then there is the wind. I've yet to see fences put up along the roads around here to keep the winds from drifting the roads closed (again after they'd already been plowed open days before).

Ya'll gotta get around a bit. :cool:

Reaction Score
I looked around and have not seen teams losing their mystique as they win. Saint Louis Cardinals may not dominate, but they never lost their rabid fan base who flock to the games. When the Yankees dominated for years did their gate suffer? Celtics? Lakers? Duke? Kentucky? San Antonio? Alabama? Connecticut is just not a big sports state. If the were, they would be in the Big 5. If politics were a sport, hey, we are talking rabid!!!:D
You have never ever ever seen a team like Uconn WBB---for maybe 25 years Uconn WOMEN's had semi rabid fans--some may think they are rabid--but havent been tested for it yet--|Fans of the Uconn Men's base some changed to the WBB as the women won and won and won and won and won---most, even in down years, had 30 win's---tell me what team's that you mentioned had 30 wins for most of the 30 years? At one time Geno sold out the Gampel and XL every game--then winning became the norm.
That is the Mystique that is unique with Uconn--no one ---NO ONE--has won that much. When winning becomes the norm and the expectations become nothing less than a National Championship--what do your call that?? Except Uconn WBB!
Fans became jaded, but had no jade to go with it. When lessor teams, Depaul/Duke/Louisvlle were expected to lose EVERY Game--the fun of a win or a loss was blunted by WINNING.
Don't believe me---call Geno and ask him--why don't you fill up every seat in most of your home games?? If he remember his speeches on the subject--he'll say JADED.
The new found winning WBB Teams have fans not accustomed to winning, each game is a potential loss, not so at Uconn
If you don't believe that--just think of the energized UConn Fan base with the very close to a loss to ND--the blood ran hot again..

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Describing Columbia’s temperature in January/February as simply “milder” than Storrs doesn’t do it justice. Mother Nature laughs at that. It’s almost a 30 degree average temperature difference.

New England is downright tundra-like in January/February. I’m actually amazed how cold it gets here, how the cold lingers for WEEKS and the fact that people endure this every year. It’s borderline extreme to me. Below freezing temperatures for weeks on end.. and you complicate it further by adding snow into the mix. Lord help me.

Last year was my first full Connecticut winter and I was miserable and actually depressed for at least 3-4 months. In SC, we have “cold snaps”.. and they are called “snaps” for a reason. The temperature will drop below 40, it’ll rarely even dip into the 20’s for a few days.. but then it “snaps” right back into place and averages in the 50s. We usually get three or four cold snaps in January/February. That’s winter in SC, or the absence of it, basically a New England autumn without the lovely foliage. If I ever move back south I’m looking forward to laughing at my friends and family when it’s 40 degrees and they’re wearing winter coats.

On the other hand, New England has some of the most amazing summers I’ve ever experienced. It’s not hot (by my standards), it doesn’t rain, there are no bugs (again, by my standards) and the humidity is barely noticeable. If you really hate someone, send them to the Deep South between the months of June and September... if they’re lucky, the humidity will break by early September.
If weather were a major factor San Diego State would be getting the best recruits. It's 72 degrees today, about the same temperature it will be in March, June and September.
Do folks in South Carolina really refer to the state university as USC? That's immensely confusing those of us on the left coast. :D

Reaction Score
Tell the Recruits for Illinois or Minnesota that in January at Storrs the balmy breezes blow at a hot 28 degrees. \
Some day's it zooms to near 35 and bathing suits are brought out. These a Uconn's kind of kid--not seeking that Texas oven temperature or claustrophobic ND closed in by states on all sides--no room , like the Atlantic provided (Ok, the Sound).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom