Recruiting Transfers - March | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Transfers - March

Status
Not open for further replies.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I agree Hurley said this, and, I'm sure his mindset in this direction, but, we are going to have a significant number of transfers on the roster. For 2021 we are not filling 3 more roster spots with 2021 high school seniors, nor 2022 reclasses to 2021. We have 2 transfers of the roster now, and I would expect 2-3 more. With all the competition out there, we're also not going to 'average' attracting more than 3 top 100 recruits to UConn as a practical matter. Looking forward, you have to assume there is no way we are not going to average losing 1 guy each year as long as the current transfer climate exists. That means that in every year Hurley has 8-9 of his guys on the roster from high school, and needs 4-5 guys that are on the team via transfer for 3 or 2 or 1 year. That doesn't mean Hurley has to think UConn is transfer 'U', but we are going to have transfers come in every year. My guess is that Hurley will focus on kids they put time into trying to recruit, and missed on, the first time around. That gives him comfort on having a relationship with the player.

I think Backup c is a potential transfer spot.

Some more mature beef in the middle of the d

Reaction Score
"Transfer U" = Arkansas, Nebraska, Iowa State, St. John's during the Mullin years

Teams like Baylor, Gonzaga, Michigan have transfers...doesn't mean they are "Transfer U".

Reaction Score
I think Backup c is a potential transfer spot.

Some more mature beef in the middle of the d
That's the conundrum of transfers as backups though. They either transfer because they're too good for mid-majors, or not good enough at high majors. It's rare for guys to transfer when they're pretty good.

Guys that are too good aren't going to want to transfer to sit on the bench, and guys that aren't good enough aren't good enough for us either. So decent depth pieces are hard to find.

the Q

Reaction Score
That's the conundrum of transfers as backups though. They either transfer because they're too good for mid-majors, or not good enough at high majors. It's rare for guys to transfer when they're pretty good.

Guys that are too good aren't going to want to transfer to sit on the bench, and guys that aren't good enough aren't good enough for us either. So decent depth pieces are hard to find.

Indeed.

But you still need some size, d and 5 fouls.

We’re short there right now.

But yes it’s a challenge to thread that needle, you are correct.

the Q

Reaction Score
"Transfer U" = Arkansas, Nebraska, Iowa State, St. John's during the Mullin years

Teams like Baylor, Gonzaga, Michigan have transfers...doesn't mean they are "Transfer U".

Gonzaga has been a heavy transfer school for a while.

Maybe not to the level of the musselman or Hoiberg levels, it pretty good.

Reaction Score
Indeed.

But you still need some size, d and 5 fouls.

We’re short there right now.

But yes it’s a challenge to thread that needle, you are correct.
We don't know yet if Whaley is staying or going. If Whaley comes back size won't be an issue and we'll be the best shotblocking team in the nation. If Whaley goes another big would he nice but I don't see it as a necessity. Even if Polley comes back we need another legit near 40% three point shooter.

the Q

Reaction Score
We don't know yet if Whaley is staying or going. If Whaley comes back size won't be an issue and we'll be the best shotblocking team in the nation. If Whaley goes another big would he nice but I don't see it as a necessity. Even if Polley comes back we need another legit near 40% three point shooter.

I’m not counting on anyone coming back until it’s official. And agreed to both accounts.

Perfect fit.

Absolutely. 40% from 3 and a decent enough ft shooter to think it’s not flukey.

Reaction Score

Exactly. Hurley was just saying he doesn’t want to build the entire roster around transfers. Doesn’t mean we will never get transfers. With 3 scholarships open we are definitely gonna get at least 1-2 transfers this year. Not a ton of 2021 guys left so it seems like a necessity this year.

Reaction Score
40% from 3 on 6 attempts a game. 42% the year before. Allergic to getting to the line.

Does very little else, but he's a bonafide shooter. 6'3" Polley basically.
On transfers a player who already transferred in his career can't transfer again now and play right away can he?

Reaction Score
On transfers a player who already transferred in his career can't transfer again now and play right away can he?
I believe if the one time transfer rule comes into effect then ALL players would get immediate eligibility. If you transfer twice while the rule is in place you would have to sit a year the second time. But my impression was the first time you transfer under the new rule, you are good to go.

I could be incorrect on this I have not done much research.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine us recruiting a 5'7 point guard. The kid is unbelievably talented, but it just doesn't fit the mold of player Hurley has been going after.
Well he’s recruited undersized scoring guards in the past (Fatts, RJ) but yeah, I just don’t see why they would recruit a guy like Lykes with whose already on the roster and Diggins coming in.

A lot depends on if Whaley or Polley return. But I would imagine a big guard/wing who can shoot and defend is high on the list of priorities for them. There are guys to be had out there that fit that mold.

Reaction Score

When you needs at least 2 shooters there's no conundrum. Go after at least 6 and hope you get one or 2.

Reaction Score
One of my favorite grad transfers is headed to Transfer U Southeast. Thanks Charles Manning, Tyrell Jones, Diante Smith all part of their transfer haul prior to Parnham.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Furman's Noah Gurley just hit the portal.

6'8 210 grad transfer, 15.4p, 5.8r, 2.5a, 0.9s, 1.1a last year.
Career 57.3 2p%, 34.4 3p%, about 30% of shots form deep, 68.7 ft%.

Reaction Score

Was one of the 5 transfers we'd actually reached out to, but seems like his focus is elsewhere

Reaction Score
Anyone know if we’ve reached out to Ismael Massoud from Wake Forest? I know there were ties to Richie Springs and James, so was curious to see if we’ve contacted him. Not even sure how great of a fit he would be, I didn’t watch and Wake Forest games this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone know if we’ve reached out to Ismael Massoud from Wake Forest? I know there were ties to Richie Springs and James, so was curious to see if we’ve contacted him. Not even sure how great of a fit he would be, I didn’t watch and Wake Forest games this year.

I don't think he's talented enough for our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom