Recruiting Transfers - March | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Transfers - March

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some transfer portal fun name facts:
  • Three players named Terrell Brown
  • Two players named Tre Mitchell
  • There's a Carter, a Carter Jr. and two Carter III's.
  • Two Christmases
  • Charlie Daniels is available
  • 14 Johnson's and Jones'
  • Khalid El-Amin, Ron Artest, Jamal Mashburn, Glenn Robinson, Larry Robinson and Fred Hoiberg all have their sons in the portal.
Ya doesn't has to call them Johnsons..............

Reaction Score
Surprised he’s leaving Florida. He’s a big time shooter. Would love to have him
Last year they lost Nembhard who fit right in with Gonzaga this year and their coach seems to specialize in recruiting highly rated guys who underperform, such as:
Scottie Lewis, Omar Payne and Niels Lane besides Nembhard.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Last year they lost Nembhard who fit right in with Gonzaga this year and their coach seems to specialize in recruiting highly rated guys who underperform, such as:

Ironically turgeon has they rep as wel. Especially guys blossoming in the NBA when they’re away from him.

Reaction Score
Tre Mann was great though. White just seems to be falling out of favor there with the fans and I think the vibe of the program isn’t great right now. But it’s weird because I do think he’s a good coach. If Johnson didn’t have his health issue this year things would have been much prettier. I think we’ve seen first hand how things go south quickly once a few bounces go the wrong way.

Reaction Score
It’s interesting that we haven’t really heard news from insiders as to who we are after. Wondering if our strategy is a little bit dependent on Whaley and Polley’s decisions, although I feel like we need to make a shooter a priority regardless, whether Polley comes back or not.

Reaction Score
Speculation on my part - but after the run Oral Roberts had, anyone think Abmas and Obanor will be looking to move up a few levels? The guys can ball.

Reaction Score
I’d take Abmas and put him in to start
Abmas is on his way to a top 5 school- the kid is only a sophomore & has trajectory as a NBA guard. Not only can he score at all three levels- he also already plays the pick & roll game well. Look for a Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, or another blue blood to scoop him up- when that happens I will be jealous- so far I think he’s been the best player of the tournament.

Reaction Score
Sign me up.
Lykes is a nice player but he doesn’t really fit with the current roster construction UConn has. There are tons of potential players out there, a bigger guard in the mold of a 3 & D guy would be ideal.

I don’t think they’re going to add someone who has as high of a usage rate as him just basing on Hurleys recent comments and looking for “complimentary pieces.” But obviously that could change depending on who is actually available. very curious & excited to see who they will target, the right piece or two can really add to this team next season.

Reaction Score
Lykes is a nice player but he doesn’t really fit with the current roster construction UConn has. There are tons of potential players out there, a bigger guard in the mold of a 3 & D guy would be ideal.

I don’t think they’re going to add someone who has as high of a usage rate as him just basing on Hurleys recent comments and looking for “complimentary pieces.” But obviously that could change depending on who is actually available. very curious & excited to see who they will target, the right piece or two can really add to this team next season.

I can't imagine us recruiting a 5'7 point guard. The kid is unbelievably talented, but it just doesn't fit the mold of player Hurley has been going after.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine us recruiting a 5'7 point guard. The kid is unbelievably talented, but it just doesn't fit the mold of player Hurley has been going after.

He would come in and most likely be our best PG and scorer.

Reaction Score
As DH said in his year end media session.. He doesn't see UConn becoming Transfer U. but rather building the roster in a more traditional way through HS recruiting (ala incoming 2021 recruits)

Could he grab an attractive transfer recruit? Sure. Just sounds like he's more inclined to seek out late signees and/or reclass recruits if available first. Building and maintaining Program culture with the right kind of player seems very important to him and his staff.

No question there is a plethora of candidates in the portal this year.. IW/Tyler Phommachanh decision(s) probably starts the ball rolling re: filling the three available spots for 2021 roster needs.

I also think that DH is a man of his word with his existing 2021 roster and incoming recruits re: PT.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
As DH said in his year end media session.. He doesn't see UConn becoming Transfer U. but rather building the roster in a more traditional way through HS recruiting (ala incoming 2021 recruits)

Could he grab an attractive transfer recruit? Sure. Just sounds like he's more inclined to seek out late signees and/or reclass recruits if available first. Building and maintaining Program culture with the right kind of player seems very important to him and his staff.

No question there is a plethora of candidates in the portal this year.. IW/Tyler Phommachanh decision(s) probably starts the ball rolling re: filling the three available spots for 2021 roster needs.

I also think that DH is a man of his word with his existing 2021 roster and incoming recruits re: PT.

I get it.

And that’s why that left shooter who decommitted from Clemson should be high on the list. But I know he had a long list of suitors

Reaction Score
I agree Hurley said this, and, I'm sure his mindset in this direction, but, we are going to have a significant number of transfers on the roster. For 2021 we are not filling 3 more roster spots with 2021 high school seniors, nor 2022 reclasses to 2021. We have 2 transfers of the roster now, and I would expect 2-3 more. With all the competition out there, we're also not going to 'average' attracting more than 3 top 100 recruits to UConn as a practical matter. Looking forward, you have to assume there is no way we are not going to average losing 1 guy each year as long as the current transfer climate exists. That means that in every year Hurley has 8-9 of his guys on the roster from high school, and needs 4-5 guys that are on the team via transfer for 3 or 2 or 1 year. That doesn't mean Hurley has to think UConn is transfer 'U', but we are going to have transfers come in every year. My guess is that Hurley will focus on kids they put time into trying to recruit, and missed on, the first time around. That gives him comfort on having a relationship with the player.

Reaction Score
I agree Hurley said this, and, I'm sure his mindset in this direction, but, we are going to have a significant number of transfers on the roster. For 2021 we are not filling 3 more roster spots with 2021 high school seniors, nor 2022 reclasses to 2021. We have 2 transfers of the roster now, and I would expect 2-3 more. With all the competition out there, we're also not going to 'average' attracting more than 3 top 100 recruits to UConn as a practical matter. Looking forward, you have to assume there is no way we are not going to average losing 1 guy each year as long as the current transfer climate exists. That means that in every year Hurley has 8-9 of his guys on the roster from high school, and needs 4-5 guys that are on the team via transfer for 3 or 2 or 1 year. That doesn't mean Hurley has to think UConn is transfer 'U', but we are going to have transfers come in every year. My guess is that Hurley will focus on kids they put time into trying to recruit, and missed on, the first time around. That gives him comfort on having a relationship with the player.
BTW..Not sayin' I agree with DH's approach re: transfers but rather acknowledging that he tends to back up what he says through his actions.

This off season is very unusual re:the quality and volume of players in the transfer market.

Time will tell. If some high end transfers start knocking on the door wanting to come to Storrs.. Gotta listen,right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom