Recruiting Transfers - April | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Transfers - April

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hear you but Hurley didn't see the fit with Fatts, I wish we got Kadary but still happy he picked the Hall. Our frontcourt is stacked and we don't need anything there, we could be in some trouble at guard if we don't see player improvement but I expect significant jumps from Jackson and Gaffney. Hawkins is a stud and will be hard to keep off the court. Diggins is a natural point guard leader, not sure how ready he'll be right away but he'll make us better. Another guard who can score off the bounce and is good from deep would be a major help along with Polley coming back.
Agree with you on all of that. Gaffney and Jackson taking some huge leaps in terms of putting the ball in the basket would be huge

Reaction Score
@8893, for some reason I can't directly reply to your post. Don't think we were ever carrying more than 13 and the chances of bringing in 2 stud guards are slim. Another major impact guard who fills our needs and Polley returning seems to make sense. If Polley leaves you try and bring in another shooter but I don't see a guy like Kolek playing over any of the guys we have.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@8893, for some reason I can't directly reply to your post. Don't think we were ever carrying more than 13 and the chances of bringing in 2 stud guards are slim. Another major impact guard who fills our needs and Polley returning seems to make sense. If Polley leaves you try and bring in another shooter but I don't see a guy like Kolek playing over any of the guys we have.
If we get another major impact guard I'd be thrilled. I thought you and others were now suggesting we'll be fine without that, and I don't think that's the case--especially when we know that Hurley swung and missed with two transfer guards who would have been major impact guys. If he thinks we need at least one or two of those, I think it's silly for people to pretend that we don't now that it looks like we might have to accept having neither a transfer nor a #ReturnOfDaggerTreyTy.

Reaction Score

Sheesh. Woodson and his staff have done an incredible job limiting the turnover for next season. I believe this is the 5th person they have got to stay.

Plus IU picked up #3 player from Pitt in transfer portal
Looking good

Reaction Score
Idk what the balance is, so I won’t pretend to have the answer. But we need an influx of perimeter offensive talent. And I just don’t know where that’s coming from. Guys are falling off the board. We need to get our next target, or I fear next season will be good but not the step we all want
You don’t even know who we are targeting to say that if we don’t get him the season won’t be what we want. You can’t judge an off-season until it’s all the way played out. We don’t know what hurley is really planning or how much he has felt like we missed on some of these players. We may have already targeted someone who hasn’t even announced a transfer yet.
the panic your post reads at is nowhere near warranted at this time.

Reaction Score
If we get another major impact guard I'd be thrilled. I thought you and others were now suggesting we'll be fine without that, and I don't think that's the case--especially when we know that Hurley swung and missed with two transfer guards who would have been major impact guys. If he thinks we need at least one or two of those, I think it's silly for people to pretend that we don't now that it looks like we might have to accept having neither a transfer nor a #ReturnOfDaggerTreyTy.
No, just responding to us needing an influx of guard talent. If Polley returns which I think there's a pretty good chance of I only think we need one more guard but a major impact guy, not a guy like Kolek. I wanted Kadary but I think Willard was already making that happen before he was officially in the transfer portal. Locke would've been nice but if Polley comes back they are redundant, two guys who can shoot threes but don't really do anything else. I'm hoping for a starter level guard who can get by his man and shoot.

Reaction Score
You don’t even know who we are targeting to say that if we don’t get him the season won’t be what we want. You can’t judge an off-season until it’s all the way played out. We don’t know what hurley is really planning or how much he has felt like we missed on some of these players. We may have already targeted someone who hasn’t even announced a transfer yet.
the panic your post reads at is nowhere near warranted at this time.
Ok, we’ll see. Again I don’t “panic” over a college basketball team. We’re talking about optimizing the roster we’ll have next season. That’s it. Kadary Richmonds and Fatts Russell’s just don’t appear in the portal. We’ll add someone, I’m just not sure if that someone will be the type of impact guy we’ll need. One thing is certain, it’s not too early to have that concern

Curiouser
Reaction Score
why... even in jest this is giving life to the worst hashtag and/or nickname ever
I used to think so also, but for reasons I don't fully understand I began to embrace it immediately when you posted this the other day:
this nickname is not catching on
Since then I have kind of made it my mission to help @Huskymagic out in his quixotic quest; and it also dovetails nicely with @August_West 's attempt to herald Polley as a more valuable player for us than Rashad Anderson was.

Both are fool's errands, and I love helping people continue on them.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
dovetails nicely with @August_West 's attempt to herald Polley as a more valuable player for us than Rashad Anderson was.

dovetail this.

Everyone will be on the Polley train next season.

Always trust content from ADub.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I used to think so also, but for reasons I don't fully understand I began to embrace it immediately when you posted this the other day:

Since then I have kind of made it my mission to help @Huskymagic out in his quixotic quest; and it also dovetails nicely with @August_West 's attempt to herald Polley as a more valuable player for us than Rashad Anderson was.

Both are fool's errands, and I love helping people continue on them.
Calling Whaley "Squirrel" was much, much worse.

Reaction Score

good player, big guard, decent shooter.

An all-time Siena great.

Always wanted to watch him live, but seen him on TV a few. He's got NBA potential and I see him looking for a major role in a P5 to help his NBA resume for the '22 draft.

He's a thickly built (6'4 202) do-everything guard who took a bit of a backseat once Siena increased its talent, but in his freshman season, he averaged 15.8p, 6.7a...scored or assisted on 36.1% of all of Siena's FGs. That's insane.

Reaction Score
An all-time Siena great.

Always wanted to watch him live, but seen him on TV a few. He's got NBA potential and I see him looking for a major role in a P5 to help his NBA resume for the '22 draft.

He's a thickly built (6'4 202) do-everything guard who took a bit of a backseat once Siena increased its talent, but in his freshman season, he averaged 15.8p, 6.7a...scored or assisted on 36.1% of all of Siena's FGs. That's insane.

It's P6 in basketball

Reaction Score
Former UConn target and La Salle grad David Beatty committed to North Carolina A&T this evening, yet another talented player heading to an HBCU.

Beatty provides NC A&T a veteran shooting presence to pair nicely with incoming '21 recruit Duncan Powell, the school's top-rated recruit ever.

Reaction Score
Ok, we’ll see. Again I don’t “panic” over a college basketball team. We’re talking about optimizing the roster we’ll have next season. That’s it. Kadary Richmonds and Fatts Russell’s just don’t appear in the portal. We’ll add someone, I’m just not sure if that someone will be the type of impact guy we’ll need. One thing is certain, it’s not too early to have that concern
Maybe you don’t have any panic at all it just reads that way. Everything might be going according to plan for the program and your saying if we don’t get our next guy the season isn’t going to go the way we want it. Much too early for that concern IMO

Reaction Score
Do you know id staff thinks Hawkins is immediate impact, 2 and done potentially?

I think he's the one freshman that could start. The kid is a brilliant player

I want to say yes, but the last two guys they said that about with regards to impact had wild starts to their careers, so I’m hesitant to say it out loud (minor legal issues; pandemic shutdown leading to no off-season summer work, injuries).

Also, to your point about only recruiting transfers that the staff knows or has familiarity with in some way, I don’t think that’s completely accurate across the board. There’s some truth to it early on, when they’re still working on getting the culture right, but they feel good about that now. Then, they can bring in the “wildcards,” which opens it up a lot, especially in the transfer pool. At URI, that was most notable with lovable problem child Kuran Iverson and a guy who had gotten asked to leave Indiana (Stanford Robinson).

I think there’s a time and place for all the transfer options, with guys moving up, down, and laterally, guys looking to expand their roles or accepting of a smaller one to be on a winner. Coaches are now earning their money in the off-season in a way that is different.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Attachments

• 461085BE-D7C9-4211-80EF-D365986BCB64.gif
    461085BE-D7C9-4211-80EF-D365986BCB64.gif
    473.5 KB · Views: 92
Reaction Score
I want to say yes, but the last two guys they said that about with regards to impact had wild starts to their careers, so I’m hesitant to say it out loud (minor legal issues; pandemic shutdown leading to no off-season summer work, injuries).

Also, to your point about only recruiting transfers that the staff knows or has familiarity with in some way, I don’t think that’s completely accurate across the board. There’s some truth to it early on, when they’re still working on getting the culture right, but they feel good about that now. Then, they can bring in the “wildcards,” which opens it up a lot, especially in the transfer pool. At URI, that was most notable with lovable problem child Kuran Iverson and a guy who had gotten asked to leave Indiana (Stanford Robinson).

I think there’s a time and place for all the transfer options, with guys moving up, down, and laterally, guys looking to expand their roles or accepting of a smaller one to be on a winner. Coaches are now earning their money in the off-season in a way that is different.

They said 2 and done about AJ and Bouk, right?

The difference between them and Hawk IMO is that he has an immediately translatable skillset. He's a high level 3 and D with a good S&C program and some more experience. There is a clear prototype for his skillset and

Tbh I think if Hawkins averages 12ppg+ on decent %s he's going to be drafted. That's a big IF but having a prototypical NBA player skillset will get him in the league with less eye-popping stats than Bouk or AJ would need to put up.

AJ has a crazy high ceiling but point forward positions are TOUGH to come by in the league.

Reaction Score
They said 2 and done about AJ and Bouk, right?

The difference between them and Hawk IMO is that he has an immediately translatable skillset. He's a high level 3 and D with a good S&C program and some more experience. There is a clear prototype for his skillset and

Tbh I think if Hawkins averages 12ppg+ on decent %s he's going to be drafted. That's a big IF but having a prototypical NBA player skillset will get him in the league with less eye-popping stats than Bouk or AJ would need to put up.

AJ has a crazy high ceiling but point forward positions are TOUGH to come by in the league.
He’s pretty damn thin right now. If in the offseason he adds a good amount of muscle i can see it but he’s thin as heck.

Reaction Score
He’s pretty damn thin right now. If in the offseason he adds a good amount of muscle i can see it but he’s thin as heck.

Andre added 25lbs of muscle with Mike in a truncated offseason. Not saying everyone can do that, but I'd think gettimg up 10-15lbs is doable if he is dedicated with his nutrition and workouts

Reaction Score
Eric Bossi of 247Sports.com thinks he has a "college ready body". I'm not sure where Bossi is seeing that because everyone says he's thin.

"Hawkins brings instant offense and toughness with a college ready body and Johnson brings high level athleticism, length and very high upside as a rim protector, defender and rebounder with a budding offensive skillset.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom