Really pulling for Houston to make a FF run | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Really pulling for Houston to make a FF run

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I think that’s what Hurley wants. Junkyard dogs on D and find some offense along the way.
That’s what I was thinking when watching Houston. I wouldn’t mind it if UConn can get Houston‘s success the last 4 year. In a way the 2011 was like this Houston, but better in that they had blue chip talent in Kenna and Lamb.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
That’s what I was thinking when watching Houston. I wouldn’t mind it if UConn can get Houston‘s success the last 4 year. In a way the 2011 was like this Houston, but better in that they had blue chip talent in Kenna and Lamb.
The problem for me is if you can get to the final 4, you need guys who can score. We always had some.

Reaction Score
Let's do both. It's not an either or concept. Let's play D, rebound, and shoot the heck out of the ball. I'm hoping we have been playing the style we have been playing because we don't quite have the full arsenal of offensive horses to play the way we want to. I'm hoping with that it will change soon. 3rd class coming in. Maybe a transfer or 2. Let's see...half the battle now seems to be keeping players engaged and believing in the program. If Hurley keeps players in the program with all the transfering he deserves credit. If he adds some needed shooting even better. This landscape is brutal.

Reaction Score
Why would a 3 seed be more unique than a 12?
The 12 seed would be more unique, that was my point, 2 seeded Houston, don't care.. It would be funny for UConn to be the only team from the AAC to ever make it to the final four, so I am cheering for OSU to continue that streak.

But UConn winning 11 in a row, including 5 in 5 is still tops.

Reaction Score
Now that we're out of the AAC, I've really begun to enjoy what Sampson has built in Houston.

Such a hard working team and defensively, they've ranked within the top-six in opponent fg% in each of the last four years...that's incredible consistency.

Typical Houston teams guard aggressively, attack the offense boards and not waste offensive possessions...that's a good recipe for success in March.

And they did this all without Caleb Mills? Grimes stepped up and became a star.

Reaction Score
They ripped up the Orange despite Grimes not playing the last 13 minutes of the first half. They’re tough and Kelvin can coach no doubt.

But I will be wearing my Beaver pullover Monday for sure!

Reaction Score
Houston’s defense against the Cuse was something to watch last night. It was just sheer commitment by them. Sampson is a hated guy around here but holding them in the 40’s.....

Reaction Score
Its amazing how close Houston has been.

2018: Lost to eventual runner up Michigan on a buzzer beater in second round
2019: Lost to Kentucky by 4 in the Sweet Sixteen
2020: COVID (#14 team per Kenpom)

Good program - had a chance to really make some noise the past few years but just haven't had luck on their side. Kenpom has them as 9 point favorites over Oregon State (And I believe they are the first program to face all double digit seeds in their region), if they don't manage to pull it off they may be the least lucky program in recent memory.

Reaction Score
Houston’s defense against the Cuse was something to watch last night. It was just sheer commitment by them. Sampson is a hated guy around here but holding them in the 40’s.....
I’ve only watched Houston play a couple times this year but that defense last night was not an exception. They pretty much play that way every game.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I love watching this Houston team. They play fast and furious. Full of energy at both ends of the court.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
You think they should have been a #1? I thought they were seeded correctly.
I agree. If anything they were clearly respected by the committee. They have a top 6 offensive and defensive efficiency rating. Only other team that has that in CBB? Gonzaga. UH is legit. Hope they make it to the Final Four

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
Since I had been hoping for Syracuse to lose all tournament, I decided to switch it up and instead pump Houston without mentioning the Orange. It worked, so I'm repaying the mojo Gods by going on the UH Bandwagon for the rest of the tourney.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Unfortunately I think that’s what Hurley wants. Junkyard dogs on D and find some offense along the way.
Unfortunately? They are a win away from the final four. I’ll take that unfortunate scenario every year.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
It's amazing what happens when you have your best team as a coach and don't choke away an easy path. 15 -> 10 -> 11 -> 12 to get to the Final Four. I wouldn't know anything about that obviously.

Reaction Score
Now that we're out of the AAC, I've really begun to enjoy what Sampson has built in Houston.

Such a hard working team and defensively, they've ranked within the top-six in opponent fg% in each of the last four years...that's incredible consistency.

Typical Houston teams guard aggressively, attack the offense boards and not waste offensive possessions...that's a good recipe for success in March.

And they did this all without Caleb Mills? Grimes stepped up and became a star.

We really should model a lot of what we do on Houston. They play slow, prioritize offense boards, and play super tough defense. Very similar Tyler Phommachanh what Hurley is doing... though he does talk about running a lot it just doesn't happen.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
As long as we're talking AAC, watching the NIT championship and Memphis looked like Baylor for the first seven minutes, 13-0 start over Miss St. and forcing TOs at will. Howland's squad just tied it up at the half. Entertaining game.

Reaction Score
We really should model a lot of what we do on Houston. They play slow, prioritize offense boards, and play super tough defense. Very similar Tyler Phommachanh what Hurley is doing... though he does talk about running a lot it just doesn't happen.
I agree. Only difference it's Sampson's seventh year at Houston. They didn't make the tourney until his fourth season and they've been a very good-to-great program since then.

As Boy George once eloquently said: Give me timeeee...

Reaction Score
Someone was asking.

NCAA Tournament 2021 scores, takeaways: Houston handles Syracuse as half of the Elite Eight field is set - CBSSports.com

Easy path for Houston​

If Houston beats No. 12 seed Oregon State on Monday, it will have defeated four double-digit seeds on the way to the Final Four. There is no doubt that is a remarkable struck of luck for the Cougars, who last made the Final Four in 1984. In fact, Houston will become the first team to ever play four double-digit seeds in the same NCAA Tournament.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
As long as we're talking AAC, watching the NIT championship and Memphis looked like Baylor for the first seven minutes, 13-0 start over Miss St. and forcing TOs at will. Howland's squad just tied it up at the half. Entertaining game.
Memphis is unironically good. they didn’t have the resume sadly but they were 100% a tournament quality team. and if penny could ever figure out how to not have his team turn the ball over, they could’ve been top 25.

Reaction Score
Thetcertainly out hustled Rutgers
In the last 5 minutes.
But to be honest we would be rooting for.
I’ve only watched Houston play a couple times this year but that defense last night was not an exception. They pretty much play that way every game.
I only saw part of the Rutgers game and it was apparent that although I’sm sure both teams wanted it badly, Houston was doing the extra work to achieve it.

Reaction Score
Really pulling for Houston to make a FF run. Solidly coached team that plays every possession hard, well coached, class of the AAC. I think they have what it takes to shut down the hot hand if they run into it and they won't succumb to junk defenses because they are so disciplined. They finally broke through to the 2nd weekend and I think this is their year.

GO COUGARS.
No. Im pulling for their destruction. No AAC team should ever win a national title ever again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom