OT: - Realignment? | Page 17 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
11 games?!?
a team would need to go 5-6 in conference to have a shot at a bowl.
I would be shocked if they went to 11 right now.
Agreed - I think the whole idea of the SEC being college's version of the NFL is not going to happen overnight but rather in 10 years plus or minus. Even if there is another super conference, my belief is that there'd be a good 20 or so solid programs spread across the country for us to play games against (2 or 4 game series). Then add in games against geographic rivals, etc. and it all works out better than playing in a conference with the schools listed in the OP.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The SEC would be short sighted to move to an 11 game conference schedule. First off half the teams would struggle to become bowl eligible as your getting rid of their out of conference games and then your top teams lose some cache going 8-4, 9-3 as opposed to 11-1 or 12-0.

Reaction Score
The SEC would be short sighted to move to an 11 game conference schedule. First off half the teams would struggle to become bowl eligible as your getting rid of their out of conference games and then your top teams lose some cache going 8-4, 9-3 as opposed to 11-1 or 12-0.
I think the 6 win bowl eligibility requirement will go away with the demise/restructuring of the NCAA. Bowls have contracts with conferences and the polls will determine the playoff teams. Teams will go to good bowls with 7-8 wins.

Reaction Score
11 games?!?
a team would need to go 5-6 in conference to have a shot at a bowl.
I would be shocked if they went to 11 right now.
They are already pushing toward 11 because there will be conference playoffs and bigger national playoffs. I read this late last week with SEC ADs discussing it.

Reaction Score
Interesting thread on the St Johns message board
Very interesting idea. Would solidify the Big 10s basketball/other sports presence in the northeast, especially NYC with Seton Hall, St. Johns, and the 6th Borough. However, would state flagships be ok — Nebraska, Illinois, Indiana, theOSU, Penn State, Maryland (Gtown), Rutgers — bringing private Catholic school in their respective states into the fold? From a UConn perspective we could stay indy with a scheduling alliance, or say yes to football in the Big 10 if offered.

Reaction Score
I’m not a historian on this matter, but folks in The Athletic comment section seem to believe UConn is blackballed from the ACC because of Blumenthal’s lawsuits
I think it had to do with the old BC/UC bad blood. Before Blooming idiot.

Reaction Score
I think it had to do with the old BC/UC bad blood. Before Blooming idiot.
The lawsuit was lead by Syracuse and in fact, the insults were openly lobbed at BC and the ACC primarily from the Pitt President. He got personal.

Reaction Score
WVA, maybe.................Kansas? I don't think so. Think on this, could you see some ACC teams bolt? I could see Fl St., Miami, Clemson. Forming a 2 or 3, or 4 division conference. Now bear with me. A giant SEC mega-conference.
SEC-1: Clemson, Miami, Florida, Florida ST. South Carolina
SEC-2: Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Miss St. Vanderbilt
SEC-3: Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, Auburn
SEC-4 Texas, OK. ,Texas A&M, and either/or Baylor, Texas Tech, or OK St.
3 of the divisions have 5 teams, with only 1 with 6. Un-Wielding YES. a possibility? Why not. With the collegiete map the way it is now, anything is possible. The NCAA is no longer the ruling party. It's the mega conferences that are holding sway, and NO, I have not been smoking any weird herbs. Just look at the idea. I mean it makes a lot more sense than that abomination of the American Conference, UCONN spent those years in. It has some rivalry possibilies with the SC/Fl teams, the central area of TN, GA, MS, KY, then AL, AR, MO, LA, and the TX/OK teams.
What say many of you?
This morning, saw a story that both Clemson, and Fl. St. are trying to move to the SEC. Apparently the SEC has it's sights set on scooping up Notre Dame. My question is, will ND be a full time, i.e all sports, or will they try to continue as an independent football club. News flash ND, it's not the old days anymore.

Reaction Score
The lawsuit was lead by Syracuse and in fact, the insults were openly lobbed at BC and the ACC primarily from the Pitt President. He got personal.
Actually, Blumenthal spearheaded the lawsuit and sued a lot of people personally to ratchet up the animosity. But, at this point, it doesn't matter anymore because the SEC just jumped to hyperspace and word is that Clemson and FSU want a piece.

Clemson, Florida State Reach Out to SEC About Joining Conference (Report)​

The news could be problematic for the ACC and potentially Syracuse.
MIKE MCALLISTERAUG 2, 2021
  • Clemson and Florida State have reached out to the SEC to inquire about joining the conference, according to a report from Marc Ryan, Assistant Program Director of ESPN Upstate.
    "Per a reliable source, Clemson+Florida State have reached out to the SEC about joining the conference," Ryan tweeted. "The SEC is concerned that streaming numbers for Clemson+Florida State don't bring what Oklahoma+Texas do. Notre Dame is the only 'free agent' left that would 'add to the pot.'"

Reaction Score
Actually, Blumenthal spearheaded the lawsuit and sued a lot of people personally to ratchet up the animosity. But, at this point, it doesn't matter anymore because the SEC just jumped to hyperspace and word is that Clemson and FSU want a piece.

Clemson, Florida State Reach Out to SEC About Joining Conference (Report)​

The news could be problematic for the ACC and potentially Syracuse.
MIKE MCALLISTERAUG 2, 2021
  • Clemson and Florida State have reached out to the SEC to inquire about joining the conference, according to a report from Marc Ryan, Assistant Program Director of ESPN Upstate.
    "Per a reliable source, Clemson+Florida State have reached out to the SEC about joining the conference," Ryan tweeted. "The SEC is concerned that streaming numbers for Clemson+Florida State don't bring what Oklahoma+Texas do. Notre Dame is the only 'free agent' left that would 'add to the pot.'"
Pittsburgh president at the time, Nordenberg, headed the BE and had many choice things to say about the ACC and their lack of integrity. Nordenberg was not a lawyer but those 3 other schools joined in, and all we heard in the public sphere were insults from the very people that got invited to the ACC later.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Pittsburgh president at the time, Nordenberg, headed the BE and had many choice things to say about the ACC and their lack of integrity. Nordenberg was not a lawyer but those 3 other schools joined in, and all we heard in the public sphere were insults from the very people that got invited to the ACC later.
That’s why the whole “people were butt hurt from the lawsuit” argument doesn’t stand up to any reasonable amount of scrutiny.

Reaction Score
Prove it. Syracuse was not a party to the lawsuit.

Reaction Score
Prove it. Syracuse was not a party to the lawsuit.
I got the school wrong. It was these 5: Pitt, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, Connecticut and West Virginia

I believe I thought it was Syracuse because on your own board one of the Board of Trustees went off on the BC President at an academic event in front of administrators from many universities.

Reaction Score
I think the 6 win bowl eligibility requirement will go away with the demise/restructuring of the NCAA. Bowls have contracts with conferences and the polls will determine the playoff teams. Teams will go to good bowls with 7-8 wins.
If the NCAA losses the football playoffs that‘s a huge blow to
all but the elite football schools including UConn.
I think they smelled a huge potential payday and decided to keep all the money for themselves.

Reaction Score
Interesting thread on the St Johns message board

It's pretty galaxy brain thinking, but I'll play ball with it. I can only think of three reasons this would make any sense:
  1. Ability to get access to more NCAA tourney credits
  2. Access to the MSG contract the week of conference tourneys (as opposed to the stunt the Big 10 did a couple years ago playing their tourney a week early then teams waiting a week till Selection Sunday)
  3. With the SEC monopolizing football, the Big 10 monopolizes basketball with some of the biggest brands Michigan State, UConn, Nova, and maybe that's where Kansas comes into play for only bball and not a full member of the Big 10.
FOX owns TV rights to both conferences so it in theory could happen if pushed by them and unlike why the Big East fell originally, the Big East teams would get a fractional share of TV $$ since most schools don't play football.

FOX could market that pretty easily and make all parties more money than before to make it worth the while.

No idea how this would work from a scheduling perspective but it's a cool idea.

Reaction Score
They have to take our football team.
I agree. Such a move HAS to be for ALL sports. UConn can't allow it's football team to dangle in independent limbo if the Big East & B1G affiliate. And the hockey teams would have to move over as well. Otherwise it makes little sense to entertain the idea.

Reaction Score
It's pretty galaxy brain thinking, but I'll play ball with it. I can only think of three reasons this would make any sense:
  1. Ability to get access to more NCAA tourney credits
  2. Access to the MSG contract the week of conference tourneys (as opposed to the stunt the Big 10 did a couple years ago playing their tourney a week early then teams waiting a week till Selection Sunday)
  3. With the SEC monopolizing football, the Big 10 monopolizes basketball with some of the biggest brands Michigan State, UConn, Nova, and maybe that's where Kansas comes into play for only bball and not a full member of the Big 10.
FOX owns TV rights to both conferences so it in theory could happen if pushed by them and unlike why the Big East fell originally, the Big East teams would get a fractional share of TV $$ since most schools don't play football.

FOX could market that pretty easily and make all parties more money than before to make it worth the while.

No idea how this would work from a scheduling perspective but it's a cool idea.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, it's an interesting idea, but wouldn't the schools with a high football profile making conference decisions for the basketball schools put us in the same boat which lead to the old BE break-up? Just a thought.

Reaction Score
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, it's an interesting idea, but wouldn't the schools with a high football profile making conference decisions for the basketball schools put us in the same boat which lead to the old BE break-up? Just a thought.
I believe what broke up the original Big East was money and more specifically that everyone got even shares of the TV pot despite the Catholic 7 not playing football.

In my pie in the sky vision of why and how this would work, basketball members would not get a full share of TV revenue.

At the end of the day it can only work if all parties are making more money. That's pretty easy to satisfy on the Big East end, it's just a question of if it adds enough value to FOX who then give more money to the Big 10. The fractional TV revenue may be the key along with the incredible marketability of a Gavitt Games all season long + the potential draw in of luring Kansas to a quasi-Big 10 membership as basketball only could make it worthwhile for all parties.

I doubt it happens but fun to think about.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I believe what broke up the original Big East was money and more specifically that everyone got even shares of the TV pot despite the Catholic 7 not playing football.
I though the BB onlys got a reduced share.

Reaction Score
I though the BB onlys got a reduced share.
Ah you may be right, may have just been the money the conference could bring in which was based on cable boxes as opposed to today's universe looking fore eyeballs / subscribers so either way it is a different dynamic.

Reaction Score
I agree. Such a move HAS to be for ALL sports. UConn can't allow it's football team to dangle in independent limbo if the Big East & B1G affiliate. And the hockey teams would have to move over as well. Otherwise it makes little sense to entertain the idea.
There is no Big Ten women’s hockey conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom