OT: - Realignment? | Page 15 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The big changes coming to sports markets are the streaming services like Netflix, Amazon, YouTube,... Amazon and Google (YouTube) have much larger market caps than Disney:

Amazon = $1.9 Trillion
Google = $1.8 Trillion
Disney = $325 billion

Some other competitors: Comcast = $278 billion, Viacom (CBS) = $27 billion, Netflix = $229 billion

When the streaming services go fully after sports, the legacy companies will be in a difficult battle and I would expect the value of some sports rights to surge again as you now have new deep pocket bidders.

Amazon signed a 10 year deal with the NFL for Thursday Night football starting in 2023. In my opinion, this is just the start.

They aren't going to just throw that money out there for no reason. In the beginning, back in the 70's every school negotiated its own deals. Then that shifted to conferences, which lead to expansion and mergers (Big 8 and SWC). What streaming does, most likely, is bring us closer to the original model. But conferences matter because Alabama playing Western Kentucky isn't must see TV, while Georgia playing Florida is. I think this is behind the move from OU and UT, they need better quality opponents. A&M may have bitched about this, but just as BC stupidly didn't want UConn in its conference, A&M needs to play Texas and vice versa.

What won't matter is your TV market. Anybody talking about local TV markets is living in the past. In the future model, the B1G adding Rutgers was a mistake. UConn has better name recognition nationally, by far. I even think our dumb husky football helmets were an attempt to make us memorable, just as Boise's blue field is, and Orgeon's crazy uniforms are. It just wasn't executed very well, and Diaco was the coach.

Reaction Score
The full FSU quotes from the President say a lot more than some have tweeted...

In full context it sounds different.

“At the end of the day, it’s all about money,” Thrasher said. “It’s all about TV revenue, contracts. Nobody can leave a conference without a significant buyout penalty, including us, so it would have to be something very special for us to leave.

“On the other hand, that doesn’t mean we can’t attract some other people. I think the ACC, when you put the academic side of what it’s about today against any of the other conferences, we’re head and shoulders above, I think. That, to me, is attractive to some of the universities out there. Preparation, options, all that’s on the table. We’re getting prepared for whatever happens.

“The Oklahoma, Texas thing, in my opinion, is the tip of the iceberg. It’s there, but it’s certainly going to be much broader than that when it’s said and done.”

Saying that...I am a little woried that the incoming President is not a sports guy...Vice Provost for Research at Harvard...former Vice Provost for Research at Carnegie Mellon.
Thrasher, stop! The "A" in ACC doesn't stand for academics. Give me a break.

Reaction Score
Thrasher, stop! The "A" in ACC doesn't stand for academics. Give me a break.

Maybe you aren't informed, or are just spewing (and I get that)...but even with the anchor of Louisville...

GREENSBORO, N.C. (theACC.com) – For the 14th consecutive year, the Atlantic Coast Conference leads the way among Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) conferences in the “Best Colleges” rankings released by U.S. News & World Report.

• The ACC has led the FBS conferences in best average rank in each of the last 14 years.
  • The ACC's five schools ranked in the top 30 are the most among FBS conferences.
  • The ACC’s two schools among the top 20 of this year’s rankings ties for the most among peer conferences.
  • The ACC is also the only FBS conference with eight member institutions among the top 50 – four more than any peer league.

Reaction Score
Maybe you aren't informed, or are just spewing (and I get that)...but even with the anchor of Louisville...

GREENSBORO, N.C. (theACC.com) – For the 14th consecutive year, the Atlantic Coast Conference leads the way among Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) conferences in the “Best Colleges” rankings released by U.S. News & World Report.

• The ACC has led the FBS conferences in best average rank in each of the last 14 years.
  • The ACC's five schools ranked in the top 30 are the most among FBS conferences.
  • The ACC’s two schools among the top 20 of this year’s rankings ties for the most among peer conferences.
  • The ACC is also the only FBS conference with eight member institutions among the top 50 – four more than any peer league.
Thanks for copy and pasting their press release.... maybe I think of academics as more than an FBS population. :)

Reaction Score
Thanks for copy and pasting their press release.... maybe I think of academics as more than an FBS population. :)

OK....

But there is also a lot of regional bias in thinking....like "No, it isn't possible that Miami and FSU are ranked higher than Penn State..."

Reaction Score

Nonsense rankings. Please.

A few good schools doesn't rival the up and down the board schools in the B1G.

Reaction Score
OK....

But there is also a lot of regional bias in thinking....like "No, it isn't possible that Miami and FSU are ranked higher than Penn State..."
Penn State dwarfs both schools combined not only in research, but Carnegie rankings of departments. PSU does over a billion in research expenditures YEARLY.

Reaction Score

ACC threw the academic thing out of the window when it invited Louisville community College vs. UConn.

At end of the day, ACC is not much different than the SEC in that its ruthless and it is all about the Benjamins. Let's not try to spin it any other way.

Reaction Score
They aren't going to just throw that money out there for no reason. In the beginning, back in the 70's every school negotiated its own deals. Then that shifted to conferences, which lead to expansion and mergers (Big 8 and SWC). What streaming does, most likely, is bring us closer to the original model. But conferences matter because Alabama playing Western Kentucky isn't must see TV, while Georgia playing Florida is. I think this is behind the move from OU and UT, they need better quality opponents. A&M may have bitched about this, but just as BC stupidly didn't want UConn in its conference, A&M needs to play Texas and vice versa.

What won't matter is your TV market. Anybody talking about local TV markets is living in the past. In the future model, the B1G adding Rutgers was a mistake. UConn has better name recognition nationally, by far. I even think our dumb husky football helmets were an attempt to make us memorable, just as Boise's blue field is, and Orgeon's crazy uniforms are. It just wasn't executed very well, and Diaco was the coach.

There really wasnt a time when teams negotiated their own deals, and even then wasn’t until the 1980s that teams or conferences could make their own deals. Prior to the Supreme Court getting involved in 1984, the NCAA had full control over TV contracts and had installed a plan wherein there would be only one televised game a week, and no one could appear more than once.

If anyone is wondering why the NCAA seems so toothless to do anything now, you have to look only at two events: NCAA vs OU Board of Regents in 1984, and the SMU death penalty in 1987 that was so damaging they’re hesitant to issue one again.

Reaction Score
Penn State dwarfs both schools combined not only in research, but Carnegie rankings of departments. PSU does over a billion in research expenditures YEARLY.
I believe somewhere between 12 to 13 percent of Penn State's research expenditures are non-peer reviewed ag dollars. If true, it would probably be fair to back that out when comparing them to non-ag schools.

Regardless, I understand that peer reviewed research expenditures (especially NIH and NSF) are of critical concern for schools that wish to remain in or join the AAU. But I will never understand why average people care, especially considering most students end their academic careers at the bachelorette level.

My wife worked at Penn State, and my family lived in State College for five truly wonderful years. But there are several schools in Pennsylvania alone that I'd recommend to my kids before Penn State University Park.

Reaction Score
ACC threw the academic thing out of the window when it invited Louisville community College vs. UConn.

At end of the day, ACC is not much different than the SEC in that its ruthless and it is all about the Benjamins. Let's not try to spin it any other way.

Ruthless in sports conference survival ...yes. Superb in academics...yes. Both are true.

Reaction Score
I believe somewhere between 12 to 13 percent of Penn State's research expenditures are non-peer reviewed ag dollars. If true, it would probably be fair to back that out when comparing them to non-ag schools.

Regardless, I understand that peer reviewed research expenditures (especially NIH and NSF) are of critical concern for schools that wish to remain in or join the AAU. But I will never understand why average people care, especially considering most students end their academic careers at the bachelorette level.

My wife worked at Penn State, and my family lived in State College for five truly wonderful years. But there are several schools in Pennsylvania alone that I'd recommend to my kids before Penn State University Park.
If your professors are engaged in research, your kids are learning from people on the cutting edge of their discipline. Whereas someone with a 4/4 load is teaching them what he/she learned for their doctorate.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score

UPenn
Carnegie Mellon
Swarthmore
PSU

Reaction Score
If your professors are engaged in research, your kids are learning from people on the cutting edge of their discipline. Whereas someone with a 4/4 load is teaching them what he/she learned for their doctorate.
Yeah. That's the primary benefit cited, and I don't completely dismiss the proposition. But my admittedly anecdotal observations of four research universities (Florida State, Penn State, Virginia Tech and UConn) is that this benefit is exaggerated.

Scholarship in many fields principally consists of theoretical debates among academics, most of which don't become remotely relevant and are not introduced until graduate school. Some - often many in certain bench science and medical fields - of those leading actual cutting edge research don't teach undergraduates. Still others understandably don't teach while conducting and publishing their research. And lastly, the rationale neglects that academics (wherever they are) are generally meticulous about staying abreast of new research in their fields.

Reaction Score
Yeah. That's the primary benefit cited, and I don't completely dismiss the proposition. But my admittedly anecdotal observations of four research universities (Florida State, Penn State, Virginia Tech and UConn) is that this benefit is exaggerated.

Scholarship in many fields principally consists of theoretical debates among academics, most of which don't become remotely relevant and are not introduced until graduate school. Some - often many in certain bench science and medical fields - of those leading actual cutting edge research don't teach undergraduates. Still others understandably don't teach while conducting and publishing their research. And lastly, the rationale neglects that academics (wherever they are) are generally meticulous about staying abreast of new research in their fields.
We simply have a different view of what goes on inside. At my AAU school, you can't have non-tenured faculty teach the core classes, and almost everyone in the big research departments engages in research. I know that teaching is limited for the researchers, rightly so. But this is why you have overflow classes at many of these universities.

I'm sure some professors at schools where there's 50 hours devoted to teaching weekly do keep up, but I know a lot of people who simply are stretched too far and thin to do that. A 4/4? You have to be superhuman and without a family.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom