OT: - Realignment? | Page 16 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To be fair that airport terminal is terrible so any improvement would be better than what it is now

Before the modern security screening process it was one of the best airports in the country. They built it to be TWA’s hub. But once the security process ramped up it became a disaster.

Reaction Score
The ACC needs to find a way to open up their TV contract, otherwise they will be in the same position as the Big 12 when their GOR gets closer to expiring.

Thankfully, odds are I won't be alive in 15 years...and in 12 years will be too old to care...

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

recap gets GIF

“Hooowee, we got us a new airport terminal!”

Reaction Score
There really wasnt a time when teams negotiated their own deals, and even then wasn’t until the 1980s that teams or conferences could make their own deals. Prior to the Supreme Court getting involved in 1984, the NCAA had full control over TV contracts and had installed a plan wherein there would be only one televised game a week, and no one could appear more than once.

If anyone is wondering why the NCAA seems so toothless to do anything now, you have to look only at two events: NCAA vs OU Board of Regents in 1984, and the SMU death penalty in 1987 that was so damaging they’re hesitant to issue one again.

Actually, Penn (not Penn State) and Notre Dame had their own individual national TV deals in 1951. The NCAA feared that they both would become too strong if they had control over their TV deals and were on national TV most weeks every year.

So, the NCAA basically extorted ND and Penn into signing away their TV rights. Then, the NCAA got everyone else to do so, until 1984.

"In 1951, five Notre Dame games were televised on the old Dumont Network. The package earned the school $55,000. Some athletic officials thought television would kill the live gate. Others wanted a piece of the tasty new pie. The NCAA soon moved into the picture, in part because many members were convinced that Notre Dame would monopolize the airwaves unless the NCAA negotiated a package for all its schools. Notre Dame decided not to fight it, and in 1952 began appearing on national telecasts in the NCAA package on a regular basis.

"There's no question that the NCAA TV committee was formed in 1952 to stop Notre Dame," said Beano Cook, an ESPN college football analyst who's followed the sport most of his life. "Two schools were opposed to the TV contract -- Notre Dame and Penn, which had a big-time program."

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Before the modern security screening process it was one of the best airports in the country. They built it to be TWA’s hub. But once the security process ramped up it became a disaster.
that makes sense, you can definitely tell that it wasn’t designed for all the new security crap

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Keeler: Texas, Oklahoma killed college football as we know it. Now CU Buffs might be wise to follow Nebraska’s lead and call Big Ten.

I would say the national pols and the Supreme Court decision killed football as we know it. We are moving toward pay for play and Texas and Oklahoma know that the SEC has a huge advantage in recruiting over all other conferences. Pretty soon the SEC will look at others the way the NFL looked at the USFL. Now, things may change. If USC, UCLA and maybe Notre Dame join the B1G, I'd revise what I just said. But then the SEC could just reup with Clemson and Florida St.

And the B12 might hold off on adding until it gets a sense of what happens to Va Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, NC State, Ga Tech, Miami, Pitt and Louisville.

BC, Syracuse and UConn can create their own football conference by adding Villanova, Temple, Army, Navy and maybe Delaware, Buffalo and Umass.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
In the future model, the B1G adding Rutgers was a mistake
I don’t think so. Oh before the transition to a streaming model is fully realized the Big Ten will have realized probably 20 to 30 years worth of a revenue stream based upon being in the first tier in the NYC DMA. That’s a ton of money and certainly justifies bringing Rutgers into the fold. If at some future time Connecticut makes sense, we can always be added then.

(FWIW, I don’t see that happening.)

Reaction Score
BC, Syracuse and UConn can create their own football conference by adding Villanova, Temple, Army, Navy and maybe Delaware, Buffalo and Umass.

No thanks - would way rather be Independent than this ^
I guess I’m in the minority but I would like this. Kind of like going back to the big East. Play schools that are regional opponents that we care to beat. Also there’s a realistic path to being one of the best teams in the conference. If a power conference is out this to me would definitely be a good option.

Reaction Score

These are the teams we are going to play regardless. The Super Conferences are not going to have ANY non-conference games.

Reaction Score
These are the teams we are going to play regardless. The Super Conferences are not going to have ANY non-conference games.
Disagree - they'll have some because they will all want to pad their schedule for "easy" W's. And, we could do some horse trading: men's and women's bball games for football games.

And, if we're going to play teams on a par with the ones you listed, I'm sure we'd much rather have at least some of them be in FL, TX, and other better recruiting areas.

Reaction Score
Disagree - they'll have some because they will all want to pad their schedule for "easy" W's. And, we could do some horse trading: men's and women's bball games for football games.

And, if we're going to play teams on a par with the ones you listed, I'm sure we'd much rather have at least some of them be in FL, TX, and other better recruiting areas.
So your position is you would rather be someone’s easy W to pad their stats than to play and try to win against teams the fan base cares about beating?

Reaction Score
So your position is you would rather be someone’s easy W to pad their stats than to play and try to win against teams the fan base cares about beating?
No, my point is we'll get games against P5/P4/P3/P2 conferences (whatever it ends up being); some winnable and some not so much (e.g. upcoming against Clemson). Bottom line is I'd much rather play "up" in competition and play more attractive programs in football. Similar to what the basketball program gets in the BE versus being in the AAC. Better for the fanbase, better for the athletes/competition, etc.

Reaction Score

Why would BC and Syracuse choose to leave the ACC? They may occupy the bottom tier of ACC football (hoops too), but the $$$$$ still flow. No way they leave, unless forced out, or the conference disbands with the defections of Clemson, Fla St., Ga Tech, UNC, etc.

At this juncture, UConn football being independent gives us the potential of options down the line.

Reaction Score
Why would BC and Syracuse choose to leave the ACC? They may occupy the bottom tier of ACC football (hoops too), but the $$$$$ still flow. No way they leave, unless forced out, or the conference disbands with the defections of Clemson, Fla St., Ga Tech, UNC, etc.

At this juncture, UConn football being independent gives us the potential of options down the line.
Agreeing with you - you conflated my position with the OP. :)

Reaction Score
No, my point is we'll get games against P5/P4/P3/P2 conferences (whatever it ends up being); some winnable and some not so much (e.g. upcoming against Clemson). Bottom line is I'd much rather play "up" in competition and play more attractive programs in football. Similar to what the basketball program gets in the BE versus being in the AAC. Better for the fanbase, better for the athletes/competition, etc.
Relying on being a buy game for teams is going to get tougher if leagues keep adding more and more league games to the schedule. If we can be in a conference people care about against universities with some shared history I think it would be a home run. To be able to win games will certainly help all problems.

Reaction Score

No one knows what will happen but the SEC ADs are interested in going to 11 all conference games with one reserved for outside yearly rival. When you combine this with a championship game and perhaps even a team conference playoff if they reach 20 teams, and then of course a 12 team football playoff, there will be no room for anything else.

Reaction Score

The whole point of the original post was what happens when the ACC loses 6 teams to the B1G and SEC

Reaction Score
No one knows what will happen but the SEC ADs are interested in going to 11 all conference games with one reserved for outside yearly rival. When you combine this with a championship game and perhaps even a team conference playoff if they reach 20 teams, and then of course a 12 team football playoff, there will be no room for anything else.
11 games?!?
a team would need to go 5-6 in conference to have a shot at a bowl.
I would be shocked if they went to 11 right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom