OT: - Realignment? | Page 65 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
If we win a national championship and our football keeps moving in the right direction… I would imagine we would be pretty valuable to a lot of conferences… geography we are kind of on a island but our basketball is second to none

Reaction Score
If we win a national championship and our football keeps moving in the right direction… I would imagine we would be pretty valuable to a lot of conferences… geography we are kind of on a island but our basketball is second to none
We're in the middle of the ACCs northern geography, a perfect fit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why is that smart? I am trying to understand the rationale, becuase I am not seeing this as a decent move.
For basketball, adds new eastern markets (WDC+ Philly + NYC + New England) with top Big East brands.

For football, adds new metro areas (WDC + NYC + New England + Colorado) and adds national brands (i.e., service academies).

Reaction Score
We're in the middle of the ACCs northern geography, a perfect fit.
We are… but they seem to have no interest in us…like i said… i prefer the big east..but im sure if we got a invite to any of the money conferences..uconn would accept

Reaction Score
It would be problematic for Army and Navy football to be in the same conference. They play each other one week after conference championship games. This generates high television ratings because it’s the only game in the country that weekend.

If it were a conference game, how could you play a conference game one week after the conference championship games?

Reaction Score
If I were UConn, I would insist on a 5-game football schedule, a higher revenue share than the basketball only schools, and a realistic plan in place for full membership should certain metrics be met. Otherwise, Big 12 Membership makes little sense.
So you're saying that you want the Notre Dame-ACC deal. I don't think that the Huskies have THAT much cachet...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FWIW, the Monty Show has just said this afternoon that the Big 12 is looking into Creighton and UConn for everything except football.
The whole “everything except football” thing just makes no sense to me. It’s easy to deal with the travel of a far-flung conference for six football games, but for other sports, it’s a big expense without the offsetting reward of football money.

CL82

Reaction Score
So you're saying that you want the Notre Dame-ACC deal. I don't think that the Huskies have THAT much cachet...
Notre Dame does not receive a premium over basketball only money.

Without a defined path for football to join so we can get full member revenue, I don’t think this makes any sense, unless they are dramatically over, paying for basketball and our Olympic sports, or we believe the Big East is about to collapse.

Reaction Score
I didn't say you would get it, but if ever there was a time that UConn might be able to leverage its way into a better deal with the Big 12, it might be right now. Their current conference commissioner appears to have a much higher valuation of basketball than the rest of the current P5 Conferences combined. He's expressed a desire for The Big 12 to expand coast-to-coast, while openly discussing playing games in The NY Metro Area. If UConn were to win the national championship in basketball again, it could be very attractive for spearheading The Big 12's Efforts in NY. Would this be attractive enough to warrant special consideration? I have no idea, but receiving only future scheduling consideration for non-conference football games should be a non-starter for your AD.

CL82

Reaction Score
I didn't say you would get it, but if ever there was a time that UConn might be able to leverage its way into a better deal with the Big 12, it might be right now. Their current conference commissioner appears to have a much higher valuation of basketball than the rest of the current P5 Conferences combined. He's expressed a desire for The Big 12 to expand coast-to-coast, while openly discussing playing games in The NY Metro Area. If UConn were to win the national championship in basketball again, it could be very attractive for spearheading The Big 12's Efforts in NY. Would this be attractive enough to warrant special consideration? I have no idea, but receiving only future scheduling consideration for non-conference football games should be a non-starter for your AD.
Which raises an interesting question. If you have a choice of a big 12 partial membership with a pass to full membership or an ACC full membership, which do you take?

It seems like an ACC membership is a no-brainer except that the big 12 may end up being the more stable and more lucrative conference. I would expect the ACC to look dramatically different after 2036.

GG

Reaction Score
Notre Dame does not receive a premium over basketball only money.

Without a defined path for football to join so we can get full member revenue, I don’t think this makes any sense, unless they are dramatically over, paying for basketball and our Olympic sports, or we believe the Big East is about to collapse.
What is a scheduling alliance was part of the deal?

CL82

Reaction Score
What is a scheduling alliance was part of the deal?
Notre Dame agrees to schedule 5 ACC opponents a season when it join the ACC in other sports.

GG

Reaction Score
Notre Dame agrees to schedule 5 ACC opponents a season when it join the ACC in other sports.
Sorry, I meant to say what if it included a scheduling alliance?

Reaction Score
If it were a conference game, how could you play a conference game one week after the conference championship games?
The only way is to not have them play each other in conference ever and have it be an “out of conference game”. It’s never going to happen, but this is the only way I see it.

Reaction Score

USC and UCLA proves that geography is not an issue

Reaction Score
I love the big east…we have history with this league… but if the big 12 offers full membership…uconn would probably take it… I wouldn’t like it… our athletes would be flying all over the country to play schools we don’t have any history with
Does the Civil ConFLiCT not exist???

Reaction Score
Which raises an interesting question. If you have a choice of a big 12 partial membership with a pass to full membership or an ACC full membership, which do you take?

It seems like an ACC membership is a no-brainer except that the big 12 may end up being the more stable and more lucrative conference. I would expect the ACC to look dramatically different after 2036.
Would a dramatically different ACC be a bad thing? (BC, Syracuse, Pitt, VA Tech, NC State, Wake Forest, Louisville, USF, GA Tech, UConn). It’s probably the edible talking, but I like it.

CL82

Reaction Score
Sorry, I meant to say what if it included a scheduling alliance?
I’m not sure what you’re asking.

CL82

Reaction Score
Would a dramatically different ACC be a bad thing? (BC, Syracuse, Pitt, VA Tech, NC State, Wake Forest, Louisville, USF, GA Tech, UConn). It’s probably the edible talking, but I like it.
I agree, but it appears like it is going to be a weak sister moneywise. That’s pretty much what happened to the Big East.

Reaction Score
I agree, but it appears like it is going to be a weak sister moneywise. That’s pretty much what happened to the Big East.
No doubt about it.

GG

Reaction Score
I’m not sure what you’re asking.
Some people are against a move to the big 12 if we are not all in for football. I am just curious if people would be more interested moving bball and Olympic sports only if there was some sort of scheduling alliance between UCONN and the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Some people are against a move to the big 12 if we are not all in for football. I am just curious if people would be more interested moving bball and Olympic sports only if there was some sort of scheduling alliance between UCONN and the Big 12.
I’m all in on it. I believe that UConn moving to the B12 in basketball/Olympic sports with a scheduling alliance in football provides more cultural and financial stability than an invite to the ACC in all sports. What will the ACC look like in 3-10 years? I don’t even want to fathom another scenario like the old Big East, which is exactly what is about to happen. Also, with a scheduling alliance in football, we may be able to showcase ourselves for a full invite in the future. That may already be part of the negotiation for all we know. I’ll wave that B12 banner. The ACC is a ticking time bomb and I don’t want anything to do with it

Reaction Score
The big east is the best fit for our basketball… we out recruit all the ex big east schools in the money conferences…and our basketball team is better then those teams…the money we will make in our next big east tv contract will be find for our basketball programs… the problem is our football… if we get invited to a money conference it could be at the expense of our basketball

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom