OT: - Realignment? | Page 45 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
I agree with all this. What I don't get is how one goes from the above to thinking the AAC is where we should be today.
You agree the Big East isn't on the same level as the other power conferences in basketball?

Reaction Score
I think we're second division P6.
1657661394964.png

Reaction Score
I do get it that we will need a lot of money to keep our coaches.. so I’m hopeful are next tv contract will help

Reaction Score
Seems like it is based on the entire season wherein the ACC pretty drastically underperformed until the tourney.
Conference rankings have a way of locking in after OOC play ends in December. Several ACC teams had slow starts last year for a variety of reasons. So even when the turnarounds happened in January, it came at the expense of other ACC squads.

Reaction Score
Villanove lost both games in the season to Marquette...and then Marquette loses to UNC by 31 points in the Tournament.

Things happen...FSU beat Duke in January...but then lost all five starters to season ending injury....

Reaction Score
Villanove lost both games in the season to Marquette...and then Marquette loses to UNC by 31 points in the Tournament.

Things happen...FSU beat Duke in January...but then lost all five starters to season ending injury....
That’s why you look at the whole season for the entire conference

Reaction Score
Duke only lost one game to a non conference team last season (all season and tournament)..and beat Gonzaga and Kentucky, and Arkansas, Michigan State, and Texas Tech........but they had losses to FSU, Miami, Virginia, Virginia Tech and finally UNC...a tough conference for them.

UNC made the Final...and lost to conference mates Notre Dame, Wake Forest, Miami, Duke, Virginia Tech, and Pitt...a tough conference for them.

Reaction Score
Duke only lost one game to a non conference team last season (all season and tournament)..and beat Gonzaga and Kentucky, and Arkansas, Michigan State, and Texas Tech........but they had losses to FSU, Miami, Virginia, Virginia Tech and finally UNC...a tough conference for them.

UNC made the Final...and lost to conference mates Notre Dame, Wake Forest, Miami, Duke, Virginia Tech, and Pitt...a tough conference for them.
Duke and UNC are very good every year. Combined they make up 13.3% of the conference. Gonzaga is very good too but the WCC is very average. So the point stands. The Big East Conference was better than the ACC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m not going to quibble about what metric. Top 3 or 4 seems right. The argument that the Big East is somehow not a power conference, though, seems more based on disgruntled bias than fact.
It isn’t a power conference. It is one of the top five college basketball conferences. Those things aren’t mutually exclusive.

Reaction Score
It isn’t a power conference. It is one of the top five college basketball conferences. Those things aren’t mutually exclusive.
Well, analysts actually do refer to the Big East as one of the 6 power conferences throughout basketball season. I would say it is a power conference that doesn't play football. It is just not a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
Duke and UNC are very good every year. Combined they make up 13.3% of the conference. Gonzaga is very good too but the WCC is very average. So the point stands. The Big East Conference was better than the ACC.

Huh? But those two teams, Duke and UNC, who are "good every year"...had an average of 5.5 conference losses last year and made the Final Four...that tells me that the ACC is a tough conference...and three teams made the Elte Eight.

Miami made the Elite Eight as a 10 seed.

The ACC had the worst season in late memory...but it overperformed against tournament opponents.

Reaction Score
I think the gist is the ACC had a horrid start to the year and a very good end of the year. In between 15 teams beat up on one another. Those extra teams the ACC have also mean more losses all around.

In general, in any given year, the top of the ACC is as strong as any one. The question mark is usually about the middle. Last year by the end we had a strong top 1/3rd and mediocre middle and bottom third. How you view it depends on what you choose to emphasize.

Reaction Score
I’m not going to quibble about what metric. Top 3 or 4 seems right. The argument that the Big East is somehow not a power conference, though, seems more based on disgruntled bias than fact.
You're clearly not understanding what constitutes a power conference (hint: it's not basketball).

Reaction Score
Huh? But those two teams, Duke and UNC, who are "good every year"...had an average of 5.5 conference losses last year and made the Final Four...that tells me that the ACC is a tough conference...and three teams made the Elte Eight.

Miami made the Elite Eight as a 10 seed.

The ACC had the worst season in late memory...but it overperformed against tournament opponents.
I'm not really sure what you are arguing. Some conference seems to overperform in the tourney every year. The ACC hit its stride at the right time. We aren't going to scrap the results of 4 months of basketball over a few hot teams in the tourney. The ACC is a good basketball conference, mostly at the top. Their regular season was mediocre. There isn't much else to say.

Reaction Score
You're clearly not understanding what constitutes a power conference (hint: it's not basketball).
See above post or for simplicity here it is:

Well, analysts actually do refer to the Big East as one of the 6 power conferences throughout basketball season. I would say it is a power conference that doesn't play football. It is just not a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
If any school in The ACC finds a way to successfully challenge the GOR, Uconn better be ready to lie, cheat, and steal their way into whatever league is left over. You can talk NBE all you want, but making 5-10 million a year in a future where schools are poised to make 100 million isn't going to work. A break away is coming, and when it does you want to be aligned with the side that has football teams. TV might make an exception for an independent ND. They won't do the same for Uconn.

Reaction Score
I'm not really sure what you are arguing. Some conference seems to overperform in the tourney every year. The ACC hit its stride at the right time. We aren't going to scrap the results of 4 months of basketball over a few hot teams in the tourney. The ACC is a good basketball conference, mostly at the top. Their regular season was mediocre. There isn't much else to say.
It's nonsensical, I'm sure he thinks the Pac-12 was a juggernaut the year before because they played well in March.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom