OT: - Realignment? | Page 28 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
The AAC fate will be decided by ESPN.
If they decide to keep the current contract in place , ( a big if)
schools from those conferences will be clamoring to get in the AAC.
Their contract is far better than the competitors.
Even the MW with its unbalanced contract sucks.
They might Back fill with Boise, Colo State , Utah State, SanDiego
Add another BB only like WKU
Money is the determining factor

Reaction Score
Most of the additions make sense. The infatuation these conferences have with UCF or USF, though, is baffling. Trash schools that are on the absolute bottom wrung in the state for both sports and academics.
IMO, conference leaders focus too much on what school is playing well now and not enough on whether a prospective new member fits/makes long term sense.

Surely these leaders know that nearly all group of five schools are just a bad coaching change away from a prolonged decline?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I mean, I'm not sure it has really helped any of the conferences. Their benefit is chimerical. Good recruits in Florida are going to go to Florida, FSU, or Miami before UCF (or USF), and then you add in the SEC schools. I just do not believe one Florida recruit played football at an American Conference school because of playing UCF and USF once a year.

I mean, every conference that has taken them has done so reactively, and they're usually conferences that we don't particularly respect with regards to leadership.
Liked this for the correct use of the word chimerical.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Hello All,

I wanted to share this article with the UConn fans to give you all a cautionary tale:

I have been a lurker on this site, off and on, for a while and I understand how many UConn fans believe they missed the boat of belonging to a P5 conference.

The Too Long : Didn't Read version of the article is: Be careful what you wish for, it may come true:

Maryland owes the B1G conference $113 Million, so far, and that Rutgers is also in a similar boat.

I hope everyone will give the article a read

Reaction Score
Hello All,

I have been a lurker on this site, off and on, for a while and I understand how many UConn fans believe they missed the boat of belonging to a P5 conference.

Maryland owes the B1G conference $113 Million, so far, and that Rutgers is also in a similar boat.
Welcome and thank you.

But, won't MD make about $150M in 3 years? So, it pays back the BiG and still averages $12M/year in its pocket.
No G5 school is making $12M.

Reaction Score
Welcome and thank you.

But, won't MD make about $150M in 3 years? So, it pays back the BiG and still averages $12M/year in its pocket.
No G5 school is making $12M.

A cogent observation and one I will not dispute, but one of the themes of the article is the strange societal phenomenon known as “Keeping up with the Jones’s“. Both Rutgers and Maryland joined the B1G to make more money, yet after 5-6 years, both athletic departments are drowning in debt. Seems very strange to my mind.
Please do not misunderstand my intent of sharing this article with the UConn fans. I just thought it worth sharing with fellow college sports fans.

Reaction Score
Have they started getting full payouts? First few years they were getting reduced $$ as part of their earn-in.

Reaction Score
A cogent observation and one I will not dispute, but one of the themes of the article is the strange societal phenomenon known as “Keeping up with the Jones’s“. Both Rutgers and Maryland joined the B1G to make more money, yet after 5-6 years, both athletic departments are drowning in debt. Seems very strange to my mind.
Please do not misunderstand my intent of sharing this article with the UConn fans. I just thought it worth sharing with fellow college sports fans.
They're not exactly lighting it up on the field either.

Reaction Score
They're not exactly lighting it up on the field either.
They would both easily beat UConn in football, and Maryland embarrassed men's basketball in the last tourney. So, don't throw stones. I would love for UConn to be in their place.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The AAC is planning to re-make itself in the wake of three schools leaving today. The conference plans to be aggressive and has begun planning...
1631297398298.png

"So we hit the head of each of the other 5 families, uh conferences, and then we move to Vegas!"

Reaction Score
I think the Pac-12 made a huge mistake by not expanding by poaching some of the little 8s. Pac-12 is making the exact mistakes B12 was making back in 2016. They won't be able to stop the B1G raid, but they can at least add some teams while they still have the upper hands.

As of right now, the Pac-12 still has that P4 label so they need to act asap before they are raided. Schools like Oregon St and Washington St will be left out in the cold if they don't act now.

It simply makes too much sense for the B1G to raid the Pac-12 for top schools before the next media contract.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the Pac-12 made a huge mistake by not expanding by poaching some of the little 8s. Pac-12 is making the exact mistakes B12 was making back in 2016. They won't be able to stop the B1G raid, but they can at least add some teams while they still have the upper hands.

As of right now, the Pac-12 still has that P4 label so they need to act asap before they are raided. Schools like Oregon St and Washington St will be left out in the cold if they don't act now.

It simply makes too much sense for the B1G to raid the Pac-12 for top schools before the next media contract.
Pac 12 football is not good. Not a group to hitch your wagon to competitively or culturally. The Big 12 schools will fare better.

Reaction Score
Pac 12 football is not good. Not a group to hitch your wagon to competitively or culturally. The Big 12 schools will fare better.
Genius! A UConn fan dissing the Pac12. Oregon looks pretty good so far this year.

Reaction Score
The view from San Diego…

-> And so another back-of-the-napkin scheme emerges, perhaps not immediately but somewhere over the horizon: A national, breakaway conference with the best of the rest.

SDSU, Boise State, Colorado State, Air Force and UNLV (because of its football facilities, not its history) from the Mountain West. SMU, Memphis, South Florida and Navy from the AAC. North Texas, which is pouring money into facilities, from Conference USA. Maybe Army, currently an independent in football, so you have all three service academies.

The geography works in football because teams all charter to games, and there’s little difference in time or expense to fly for another hour or so to Dallas instead of Albuquerque. In basketball and Olympic sports, you could focus schedules within your region and add one or two trips east or west — not ideal but not unreasonable. <-

Reaction Score
Would the Huskies join a football only G5 conference as the MAC or a further water down CUSA?
Based on you posts enjoying your schedule and the name brands, think not, but curious.
Pretty sure UMass would accept.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom