Ray Allen with some strong words on UConn.. | The Boneyard

Ray Allen with some strong words on UConn..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ray does love UConn and the situation is upsetting. I know most will be defensive of the school but in this case we can’t. UConn has police officers at all the regional campuses. That’s a waste of money. They could all be eliminated. There is a lot that needs to change at UConn. Although cutting sports was inevitable even if we eliminated the entire police department.

Reaction Score
I take classes on the Hartford campus and they have a couple SUVs patrolling the block and a half campus where the HPD also patrol. It’s pathetic.
I live in Stamford about 5 minutes from the campus and it's the same way. There's probably 5-10 UConn Police cars that are parked on the one road and the entire campus is a block long

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I live in Stamford about 5 minutes from the campus and it's the same way. There's probably 5-10 UConn Police cars that are parked on the one road and the entire campus is a block long
Think about salary and benefits and equipment etc for let’s say a total of ten officers at these sites. That’s probably a million dollars right there. Don’t need to pay $60,000 salaries to these people when you can probably pay a security guard half of that.

Reaction Score
I take classes on the Hartford campus and they have a couple SUVs patrolling the block and a half campus where the HPD also patrol. It’s pathetic.
I think they are required to do that for liability and insurance issues. If a student were to get assaulted in any way and there are no officers or enforcement they would be open to a huge lawsuit

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think they are required to do that for liability and insurance issues. If a student were to get assaulted in any way and there are no officers or enforcement they would be open to a huge lawsuit

Yeah, it was a significantly tone deaf comment by Ray in the #metoo era. Parents want to know their children are safe while away at campus and spending money on security guards is going to help keep their children more safe than reducing security guard salary and providing a rowing or cross country scholarship.
Safety on campus is much more than just roving patrols but it's a big consideration for many parents when deciding where to send their little Suzy off to college.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I go to the bookstore there to pick up gear for family Christmas gifts and have noticed the amount of police cars seemed a little excessive based on the size of the building.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it was a significantly tone deaf comment by Ray in the #metoo era. Parents want to know their children are safe while away at campus and spending money on security guards is going to help keep their children more safe than reducing security guard salary and providing a rowing or cross country scholarship.
Safety on campus is much more than just roving patrols but it's a big consideration for many parents when deciding where to send their little Suzy off to college.

You are spot on with this.

Reaction Score
To clarify, who would cover campus policing if the campus police departments disbanded? The local municipality or the state police? So shouldn’t students pay directly for their own policing service through tuition then having local taxpayers foot the bill?

Reaction Score

This. It’s an ignorant post. My heart breaks for the kids but to imply that scholarships for cross country, rowing, tennis, and swimming are more important than having a safe campus is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Ok well donations from strong alumni like Ray and other financially set athletes and business owner can help. I'm sure the police budget compared to the programs cut doesn't compare in cost.

For me this is not about the police as I see other programs are eliminating some of their sport programs as well to save money. Plus Uconn carried more programs then most other colleges including those in P5.

Reaction Score
To clarify, who would cover campus policing if the campus police departments disbanded? The local municipality or the state police? So shouldn’t students pay directly for their own policing service through tuition then having local taxpayers foot the bill?

To some whack jobs, no police is their goal. Yes, in my opinion students should foot the bill through tuition/fees to fund the safety of the campus they are getting their education on. Safety is the top priority.

Reaction Score
... and the University responded they aren’t. (Ray was also commenting on someone else’s IG post)
Yeah I saw that a few days ago but couldn't remember where (before you posted it in here again)

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Figured I would put my two cents in...

783243C3-FBEB-4632-BFD3-5B06ED41A8E2.jpeg
B703C5CC-BDBE-4E41-BD6F-C1EE86C7AFDB.jpeg

Reaction Score
It's amazing how many people can't read, or just choose not to. He didn't say UConn should have no police, he said they shouldn't be adding 20 new positions while they're making cuts elsewhere

His whole post talks about his displeasure of UConn hiring 20 additional police officers (which is factually incorrect) while making cuts elsewhere. The UConn police responded by saying that is not true and they are actually looking to make cuts. So Ray's entire post is out of ignorance on the actual issue. He took a false idea and ran with it. The idea that UConn is cutting sports while hiring more police is plain false.

Reaction Score
His whole post talks about his displeasure of UConn hiring 20 additional police officers (which is factually incorrect) while making cuts elsewhere. The UConn police responded by saying that is not true and they are actually looking to make cuts. So Ray's entire post is out of ignorance on the actual issue. He took a false idea and ran with it. The idea that UConn is cutting sports while hiring more police is plain false.
Absolutely, but you and others created some false narrative that Ray was saying sports are more important than campus safety and ran with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom