Raphael Chillious | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Raphael Chillious

Reaction Score
Sorry but Oz and TOS are 7 steps behind the yard here....we already had the news yesterday...

Reaction Score
I was thinking/hoping Oz's tweet was referring to something else. It's Chillious?

Reaction Score
I don't want to sound like an over the top goof here, but Chillious, with his NJ/Philly connects - I mean it really gives us an overwhelming amount of control in the northeast insofar as the vital recruiting pipelines are concerned with some nice tentacles that gives us inroads into the West Coast, etc.

Again, I get that recruiting hasn't been as much of a problem here - but at a point, you fill up with so much talent that it gets really hard to suck.

I really, really like it if we get him.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's actually a pretty good strategy.

You just put good players two deep at every position and eventually you stop being able to lose on a regular basis.

Look at Calipari...he just goes 12 deep with top 10 players. If three of them play to their abilities in a given game, he really doesn't even have to come out of the locker room.

pj

Reaction Score
It's actually a pretty good strategy.

You just put good players two deep at every position and eventually you stop being able to lose on a regular basis.

Look at Calipari...he just goes 12 deep with top 10 players. If three of them play to their abilities in a given game, he really doesn't even have to come out of the locker room.

If Calipari brought a La-Z-Boy recliner to the sideline, a box of cigars and bottle of whiskey, and never left his seat, his team might perform even better. It would be great television too.

Reaction Score
Oz seems to think that this is an amazing hire, and shouldn't wait much longer to hear who it is. Also said with this hire "idk" if we're out of bamba sweepstakes anymore. He seems to think he knows who it is. Hope he's not wrong. This is over on the TOS site

Also there's an article and some whispers out there that Ollie asked Miller to leave after the AAC tourney and miller was "shocked"

Just passing along what I saw! Hope it helps somebody!

Reaction Score
FWIW I am hearing Glen Miller is out and Washington Associate Head Coach Raphael Chillious will be joining the staff. This would connect the dot on 4* recruit Blake Lewis chatter.
Who?

Reaction Score
Chillious worked exclusively with guards at Villanova and Washington. For his recruiting ability, he'd be a great get but then who coaches the bigs? This has been a glaring issue for years, this move doesn't fix that.

Reaction Score
Chillious worked exclusively with guards at Villanova and Washington. For his recruiting ability, he'd be a great get but then who coaches the bigs? This has been a glaring issue for years, this move doesn't fix that.

He's coached bigs before. Josh Boone included.

IMO a "big" coach can be a guard sized man. Does Chillious have the bball IQ to coach bigs? Who cares what he works with now. Honestly it's more about motivating kids and ability to work with kids at this level. big man practice isn't really that "fun" in my experience. It's detailed footwork, repetition, angles, film etc. that's not THAT complicated of stuff (especially for the low basketball IQ recruits were brining in at the 4-5), it's just a matter of keeping a teenagers attention on the basics.

To me, the dedication to footwork and conditioning is the difference between an elite big man and a poor one. Jake V wasn't a terrific offensive player, but he had PERFECT angles on screens, always helped with good footwork, and dedicated himself to the film so he knew who to guard which way. His communication was also great-- highly underrated skill for bigs. They're the QB of a basketball defense because they can see everything. We need a coach who can motivate these kids to show some humility and player that team first style.

Maybe miller wasn't it? Maybe we just need a new look or a scapegoat for a bad season. Who knows, but I wish him luck. Great guy, seriously. And a smart player.

If Ollie and AD Dave trust in Chillious, I do too.

Just my opinion though :)

Reaction Score
Have you heard anything on him with us or is it pure speculation?
Have not heard anything specific between Blake Harris and UConn, but obviously it has to do with the Chillious/UConn speculation (which seems to be more than speculation at this point).

UConn is definitely in the market for another guard (and after the year of injuries we had, more guards in case of emergency is important), so if Chillious gets the UConn asst coach gig, Harris seems like a good candidate to fill that role.

But, on the other hand, he does seem intrigued with Missouri since his former classmate at UW, Michael Porter, Jr., committed there:

He visits Missouri tomorrow so I guess we'll find out soon what happens.

Reaction Score
If we do end up with Chillious, two players that we could be in play with.

• UW transfer Noah Dickerson (averaged 12 pts 8 reb as a sophomore). UConn was previously involved with him as a recruit. Here's the story on how Chillious got him to commit:
Chillious heard that Noah Dickerson, a 6-foot-8 forward out of Montverde Academy in Florida, was in town for the Tony Wroten Skills Academy in August 2014. So he got his phone number and cold-called him.

“Since you’re in town,” Chillious told him, “why don’t you come over and do an unofficial (visit) at the University of Washington?

Funny, Dickerson replied, because his mom and twin brother — a prospective college student, but not an athlete — had actually visited UW about a week before.

Dickerson took Chillious up on his offer to visit. Chillious showed him around campus, introduced him to Romar, so on and so forth. But Chillious knew he had jumped in late, so he wasn’t surprised when Dickerson called him later to tell him he was going to Florida, which had been recruiting him for far longer.

No big deal, Chillious thought, and he told him: “Just know we’re here if anything changes.”

Dickerson signed a binding letter of intent with Florida in November 2014. But when Florida coach Billy Donovan left in late April to take the head coaching job with the Oklahoma City Thunder, Dickerson requested and was granted a release from his letter. He soon arranged an official visit to Washington, and must have enjoyed it, because he committed to the Huskies the next day.

• 2018 PG Immanuel Quickley
We offered him in September, but did not make the final cut. However, he has a good relationship with Chillious and that relationship was good enough for UW to be the only west coast school on his list (other schools on his list: Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Miami, Providence, Virginia). Once it was confirmed that Chillious was not returning to UW, Quickley cut them from his list:

Wouldn't be surprised if UConn is added to that list if Chillious is the next asst coach.​

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Wonder how quickly UConn could name a new assistant coach (or Associate Head Coach)? The timing aspect here could be really important.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom