Raphael Chillious | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Raphael Chillious

Reaction Score
Anyone know what went down at UW? Romar and Chillious had just brought in a really good recruiting class for '17 with a kid who is considered by some to be the #1 kid in the class, Porter. Seems like an odd time to be firing that coaching staff. Now, Porter and Harris have been released from their commitments, and kids are transferring out while Hopkins still has moving boxes on the way from Syracuse.

Again, without knowing the specifics of what has gone on there, it seems like an odd time to toss it all and to can your ace recruiter who just brought in, at minimum, a top 5 kid in the country with a really good recruiting class. My spidey sense has me worried something fishy (no offense, Fishy) was going on.

Reaction Score
Subpar seasons by Romar. Results mean more than recruiting and they made a change.

They had the #1 player last year and won 9 games

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Anyone know what went down at UW? Romar and Chillious had just brought in a really good recruiting class for '17 with a kid who is considered by some to be the #1 kid in the class, Porter. Seems like an odd time to be firing that coaching staff. Now, Porter and Harris have been released from their commitments, and kids are transferring out while Hopkins still has moving boxes on the way from Syracuse.

Again, without knowing the specifics of what has gone on there, it seems like an odd time to toss it all and to can your ace recruiter who just brought in, at minimum, a top 5 kid in the country with a really good recruiting class. My spidey sense has me worried something fishy (no offense, Fishy) was going on.

Getting great recruits but not winning is not a good formula for success.

They went 9-22 and 2-16 in conference. Missed the tournament for the 6th straight year. Despite having the projected No. 1 player in the Draft--Fultz.

In 15 years, they never got past the sweet 16. That's snow.

I mean, when you google 'Lorenzo Romar', this is the first image on the wiki profile. Should tell you something.

upload_2017-3-25_10-7-6.jpeg

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score

They went 9-22 and 2-16 in conference. Missed the tournament for the 6th straight year. Despite having the projected No. 1 player in the Draft--Fultz.
Having the # player (unless you're Kentucky) in the country, seems to be the kiss of death lately. Simmons and now Fultz. You better win if you get the top player or prepare for a change of scenery at season end.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Having the # player (unless you're Kentucky) in the country, seems to be the kiss of death lately. Simmons and now Fultz. You better win if you get the top player or prepare for a change of scenery at season end.

In LSU's case, they had nothing else. Washington has had plenty of talent over the years. 15 years and couldn't get past the sweet 16. Highing seedings too (#1 IN 2004). That's just bad.

Reaction Score

In 15 years, they never got past the sweet 16. That's snow.

I mean, when you google 'Lorenzo Romar', this is the first image on the wiki profile. Should tell you something.

View attachment 21099
Cool. Thanks. I guess I remember his more successful teams from the early 2000's when we played them in the tournament. Yeah, those results are some serious under-performing.

So, Chillious, if he comes, helps us with recruiting. But hasn't a big part of our problem of late been coaching? Lack of development? I guess that (first) question is very much up for debate here. It seems like Calhoun was either amazing at finding hidden gems (partly true) or great at coaching kids up (largely true). I think I'd rather have more of the latter, but you need both, I expect, to be really successful if you're not UK, KU, UNC, or Duke.

Reaction Score
In LSU's case, they had nothing else. Washington has had plenty of talent over the years. 15 years and couldn't get past the sweet 16. Highing seedings too (#1 IN 2004). That's just bad.
LSU had a lot of talent on that Ben Simmons team. Hornsby and Victor as returnees plus Sampson a 4* and then Blakeney a 5* and Simmons as freshmen

intlzncster

Reaction Score
LSU had a lot of talent on that Ben Simmons team. Hornsby and Victor as returnees plus Sampson a 4* and then Blakeney a 5* and Simmons as freshmen

Fair enough, I mispoke. I just meant they weren't that good anyway (probably a reflection of the coach). Their records during his tenure:

2012–13 Johnny Jones 19–12 9–9
2013–14 Johnny Jones 20–14 9–9 NIT Second Round
2014–15 Johnny Jones 22–11 11–7 NCAA Second Round
2015–16 Johnny Jones 19–14 11–7
2016–17 Johnny Jones 10–21 2–16

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Cool. Thanks. I guess I remember his more successful teams from the early 2000's when we played them in the tournament. Yeah, those results are some serious under-performing.

So, Chillious, if he comes, helps us with recruiting. But hasn't a big part of our problem of late been coaching? Lack of development? I guess that (first) question is very much up for debate here. It seems like Calhoun was either amazing at finding hidden gems (partly true) or great at coaching kids up (largely true). I think I'd rather have more of the latter, but you need both, I expect, to be really successful if you're not UK, KU, UNC, or Duke.

It's hard to tell if it's all on coaching when due to recruiting restrictions, transfers, post season ban, etc, made us go for players that we normally wouldn't go after or have as our top priorites (brimah, facey, purvis(maybe)). remember Ollie didnt coach before getting hired here so the recruiting aspect is a new experience for him and learned from his mistakes. also I think starting with Adams, Ollie is starting to bring in basketball players and basketball players with a higher IQ which will go along way...

IMO bringing in someone who can help ollie with recruiting (ollie has shown he can recruit) by bringing in already smart and talented players can go along way with the whole development thing we have going on. Throughout the season Adams, Vital, and Jackson made great strides and Facey made the biggest of them all.

I noticed that since boat left we haven't had a player be the "coach" on the floor. Someone who can run the plays on offense without looking to Ollie, someone who can set the defense without looking to Ollie, and someone who isn't afraid to hold his teammates accountable. Adams needs to be that guy next year. If we're healthy next year I think we can be very good.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Just because he isn't at UWA doesn't mean he is heading to UConn
As a recruiter he may be good but can any of the coaches at UWA coach and develoip?
For crying out loud, they have had better recruits than UConn and what do they have to show for it?
Not sure if any of them are a solution
As far as a "big man coach" - just get some quality big men to coach BUT there aren't a lot of them and a lot of recruiting competition

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom