Raphael Chillious | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Raphael Chillious

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Chillious worked exclusively with guards at Villanova and Washington. For his recruiting ability, he'd be a great get but then who coaches the bigs? This has been a glaring issue for years, this move doesn't fix that.

Not true.

He worked with the bigs at Nova as well.

He also coached Josh Boone up from a possible Rutgers target as a senior to a UConn target as a post-grad prep.

There may he a job posting requirement for the assistant's gig. Not sure - but that would publicly delay any announcements.

Reaction Score
Not true.

He worked with the bigs at Nova as well.

He also coached Josh Boone up from a possible Rutgers target as a senior to a UConn target as a post-grad prep.

There may he a job posting requirement for the assistant's gig. Not sure - but that would publicly delay any announcements.

And as we know Josh Boone came in very coachable with a very good understanding of the game. Made it easy for JC and the staff so if Raphael did some of this, then maybe he is an excellent fit.

Reaction Score
What stops us from adding both Chillious for recruiting and a bigs coach like Emeka?

Is it a money issue? I can see Emeka not needing a big salary and wanting to get into coaching. Emeka epitomizes development of a big.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
What stops us from adding both Chillious for recruiting and a bigs coach like Emeka?

Is it a money issue? I can see Emeka not needing a big salary and wanting to get into coaching. Emeka epitomizes development of a big.

We only have one open spot on the bench.

Reaction Score

I hate to beat a dead horse here. What proficiency has Emeka shown in coaching others?

I don't mean to be facetious, or rude. But I just don't understand this board's peculiar desire to relive our glory years through former players who have no actual background in coaching. Coaching is a different skill than playing. Some have both in bunches, others can do it in short little workouts (Olajuwon used to work with players in the offseason, right?), and others are disasters.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I hate to beat a dead horse here. What proficiency has Emeka shown in coaching others?

He wore a UConn uniform and therefore is imbued with magical powers.

My new definition of a pinhead here is someone who has experienced the last two years and still thinks it's a good idea to just keep hiring neophytes to run our basketball program.

Reaction Score

I don't mean to be facetious, or rude. But I just don't understand this board's peculiar desire to relive our glory years through former players who have no actual background in coaching. Coaching is a different skill than playing. Some have both in bunches, others can do it in short little workouts (Olajuwon used to work with players in the offseason, right?), and others are disasters.

Fair question. I don't think Emeka is our only option. I am no expert on which asst coaches are available who are good at developing bigs, but I like emeka for a few reasons:

1. He was a big (enough of former guards teaching bigs)
2. He showed great development as a player.
3. He was incredibly smart, graduated in 3 years with an outstanding GPA.
4. He was an all American and drafted #2 overal with several years of experience in NBA. That's great advertising when we want to recruit future bigs.
5. He bleeds blue.

Also as to @Stairmaster saying we only have one spot on bench, can't we add him to the staff without him being an asset coach? A la freeman. He can still coach the players but won't be able to recruit. Chillious can handle the recruiting.

Reaction Score

My new definition of a pinhead here is someone who has experienced the last two years and still thinks it's a good idea to just keep hiring neophytes to run our basketball program.
If Emeka wants to be a coach, and specialize in working with bigs...great. Start elsewhere. Let him prove himself. Demonstrate the multiple competencies that being a high D1 assistant coach demands, and when there is an opening, apply. If his resume is better than others, we'll hire him. If it is roughly equal, maybe we'll give him the baserunners' tie.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Fair question. I don't think Emeka is our only option. I am no expert on which asst coaches are available who are good at developing bigs, but I like emeka for a few reasons:

4. He was an all American and drafted #2 overal with several years of experience in NBA. That's great advertising when we want to recruit future bigs.
5. He bleeds blue.

Also as to @Stairmaster saying we only have one spot on bench, can't we add him to the staff without him being an asset coach? A la freeman. He can still coach the players but won't be able to recruit. Chillious can handle the recruiting.

I think you are putting way too much thought into something that isn't even a remote possibility. There is no good argument for bringing on a coach who has never coached before.

Look through the coaching ranks. Its not littered with former big time players. They are different skill sets. Remember when ESPN did a ranking of the best basketball careers of the tournament coaches last year? KO was #1 I believe and KO was certainly no stud.

Reaction Score

5. He bleeds blue.

Freeman isn't a coach. Director of Operations cannot coach during pre-season or post-season workouts or regular season practices. So Emeka wouldn't particularly be useful in this way.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'd actually argue against hiring our former players.

First, none of them actually coach at the moment and none of them have experience.

Second, they're wildly wealthy and they're human. If you're worth eight-figures, your motivation to spend a summer in a rented car driving across the country to see recruits is going to wane awfully fast.

Reaction Score

Another outstanding post by an old man with insecurity issues. High school is over bud, it's ok.

As to the substantive issue here, I'm not looking to add Emeka on as head coach or even asst coach, just as an additional member of the staff. In what way is it outlandish to add Emeka to the staff (after hiring Chillious) to help with developing bigs. There may be better candidates that I am not aware of, but taking a look at Emeka is worthwhile.

Reaction Score
Another outstanding post by an old man with insecurity issues. High school is over bud, it's ok.

As to the substantive issue here, I'm not looking to add Emeka on as head coach or even asst coach, just as an additional member of the staff. In what way is it outlandish to add Emeka to the staff (after hiring Chillious) to help with developing bigs. There may be better candidates that I am not aware of, but taking a look at Emeka is worthwhile.

Which person on the staff would you fire to hire Emeka?

Reaction Score
As to the substantive issue here,

Its not a substantive issue. That's the thing. Don't take this as a personal attack. It is just not a good idea to add guys without any coaching experience. And, as mentioned, I don't think its even a good idea to add UCONN products to the staff. The family sell is great but we need to hire the best coaches, not the best Huskies. The only guy I would consider hiring without experience would be Selvie. I would be shocked if Emeka ever got involved in coaching, anyways.

Reaction Score
Insanity to think Emeka would be a viable candidate. He's never coach a day in his life. People complain about KOs lack of experience but let's go ahead and hire someone who has ZERO experience and provides zero value. Wearing a uconn uniform should not be a qualification nor should it matter at all when hiring a candidate.

Reaction Score
Which person on the staff would you fire to hire Emeka?

I wouldn't fire anyone. The point of my original post was simply to ask if there are restrictions on the size of the staff in college bball.

Reaction Score

Why would Emeka want to do this? I will never, ever understand this board's preoccupation with former players instantly being great coaches. Someone even said we should hire Uncle Cliffy, fresh off a brain hemorrhage, b/c you know, he was a good player for us once upon a time. We need to replace Glen Miller with a guy who has coached before. Who is going to bust it recruiting and in practice b/c they are a coach and want to further advance in that world. And furthermore, Emeka was a great player for us and obviously an exemplary student athlete, but when I think of guys who possessed great big man skills, I'm sorry, but he's not at the top of the list. He was effective b/c he outworked his guy and was explosive. He was never a guy with great post moves. He was very mechanical. Hence why he goes to the pro's and is not a low post scorer.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Why would Emeka want to do this? I will never, ever understand this board's preoccupation with former players instantly being great coaches. Someone even said we should hire Uncle Cliffy, fresh off a brain hemorrhage, b/c you know, he was a good player for us once upon a time. We need to replace Glen Miller with a guy who has coached before. Who is going to bust it recruiting and in practice b/c they are a coach and want to further advance in that world. And furthermore, Emeka was a great player for us and obviously an exemplary student athlete, but when I think of guys who possessed great big man skills, I'm sorry, but he's not at the top of the list. He was effective b/c he outworked his guy and was explosive. He was never a guy with great post moves. He was very mechanical. Hence why he goes to the pro's and is not a low post scorer.

So you're saying you don't think we should hire Ray Allen as our strength & conditioning coach? I'm sure he'd be very interested.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I wouldn't fire anyone. The point of my original post was simply to ask if there are restrictions on the size of the staff in college bball.

Yes, there are. That's why K-Free is the "director of basketball administration" -- it's basically a pre-coaching position.

Reaction Score
To get back to Chillious. I would absolutely LOVE this hire. Recruit the absolute best talent and everything falls into place. Washington has been killing it in recruiting for years, without any real success to sell to recruits. Understatement time - UCONN has more to sell than Washington. This is an extremely connected guy. I like that he used to be an executive with the NIKE EYBL.

Reaction Score
Its not a substantive issue. That's the thing. Don't take this as a personal attack. It is just not a good idea to add guys without any coaching experience. And, as mentioned, I don't think its even a good idea to add UCONN products to the staff. The family sell is great but we need to hire the best coaches, not the best Huskies. The only guy I would consider hiring without experience would be Selvie. I would be shocked if Emeka ever got involved in coaching, anyways.

You are making a fair point. I don't mind people disagreeing with a simple suggestion that I brought up. I think it's great that people can disagree and I can come here and learn more about other possible candidates that focus on developing bigs.

I don't have an ego and I certainly am very capable of bringing up terrible suggestions but what's up with certain posters taking every opportunity to attack and belittle other posters?

This ain't a tea party but it seems some posters focus more on getting in insults rather than discussing uconn.

pj

Reaction Score
To get back to Chillious. I would absolutely LOVE this hire. Recruit the absolute best talent and everything falls into place. Washington has been killing it in recruiting for years, without any real success to sell to recruits. Understatement time - UCONN has more to sell than Washington. This is an extremely connected guy. I like that he used to be an executive with the NIKE EYBL.

He would be a great hire. Would certainly account for Oz's enthusiasm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom