Ranking the Star Wars Movies | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ranking the Star Wars Movies

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Portman was terrible.
Neeson mailed it in
MacGregor didn't find his footing until Sith

I disagree that Portman was terrible.
I dont disagree with your other 2 takes

But I contend that it is better acting than we are getting now.

And better actors. (except Driver)

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I disagree that Portman was terrible.
I dont disagree with your other 2 takes

But I contend that it is better acting than we are getting now.

And better actors. (except Driver)

I really cant agree. There are performances in the Prequels that take away from the movies. The portrayal of the main character (both actors) is cringe worthy. It is impossible to take him seriously. There may not be any Oscar worthy performances from any of the other movies, but nothing even remotely as bad as Lloyd and Christensen. I honestly feel bad for those two. George cast very inexperienced actors and gave them nothing. Half the scenes the actors were not even on the same set. It was nearly an impossible feat to pull of a decent performance, which is why the only decent ones came from the most experienced veterans.

As an aside George would have been much better off focusing the prequel story on Obi-Wan instead of Anakin.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Phantom Menace can be skipped entirely except for the few brief scenes w/ Darth Maul. The rest of it is crap. My opinion of AOTC comes w/ the caveat that you have to skip all the romance scenes w/ Anakin and Padme, truly cringe worthy. The rest is somewhat interesting and compelling to me. ROTS is just so busy and so jam packed full of CGI it was utterly mind numbing to me. Then you had Anakin murdering a bunch of children (Jedi and Tusken), accidentally killing Padme and blaming it on Obi Wan, ridiculous Vader transformation, executive order 66 and all of the Jedi other than Yoda going down like a bunch of chumps, and probably more. There were a few good elements but a lot of crap in this one as well. AOTC appears to be a popular choice for worst of all of them but it's my favorite of the prequels (faint praise though).

I thought McGregor was good throughout the trilogy, probably the biggest bright spot. Most of the rest of the actors either performed poorly or weren't given much to work with.

Reaction Score
This is great. I am by no means an expert on the Star Wars series. I enjoyed the prequal trilogy, including the pod race. Just recently watched The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi and all I kept thinking to myself was, this scalitoing sucks. Reading these posts made me think that there is plenty of material for some MST 3000 footage. Got me to thinking, which had a better look, Crow T. Robot or Kylo Ren? I'll go with the Robot. Ren was completely, 100% awful.

Rey is the only new character I liked about the new sequals. Han is always entertaining.

upload_2018-5-31_14-26-37.jpeg
images

Last edited:

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
ROTS is just so busy and so jam packed full of CGI it was utterly mind numbing to me.

The entire opening 30+ min of ROTS while visually interesting was so completely unnecessary. The only purpose was to introduce the worst CGI characters in the history of Cinema - General Grievous. yes he is worse than Jar Jar.

Reaction Score
I really cant agree. There are performances in the Prequels that take away from the movies. The portrayal of the main character (both actors) is cringe worthy. It is impossible to take him seriously. There may not be any Oscar worthy performances from any of the other movies, but nothing even remotely as bad as Lloyd and Christensen. I honestly feel bad for those two. George cast very inexperienced actors and gave them nothing. Half the scenes the actors were not even on the same set. It was nearly an impossible feat to pull of a decent performance, which is why the only decent ones came from the most experienced veterans.

As an aside George would have been much better off focusing the prequel story on Obi-Wan instead of Anakin.

Nah, great idea. Terrible execution.

Darth Vader was the most compelling of all Star Wars characters telling his backstory and how the Empire came to be was attractive to most fans.

Instead we got a bunch of goofy kids movies with bad acting.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Nah, great idea. Terrible execution.

Darth Vader was the most compelling of all Star Wars characters telling his backstory and how the Empire came to be was attractive to most fans.

Instead we got a bunch of goofy kids movies with bad acting.

I am fine w/ telling that story. I just think the main protagonist should have been Obi-Wan instead of Anakin.

Also the Separatists should have become the basis for the Rebellion in the end.

Reaction Score
Why Lucas killed off Darth Maul is probably one dumbest movie descions ever made.

Maul was mysterious, scary and evil. Somebody should have tapped Lucas on the shoulder and said "Maybe we should keep this guy around for a couple of more movies"

Phantom was a terrible movie, all three prequals sucked.

The Force Awakens sucked

The Last Jedi was horrible

Rogue One was beautiful and fit in the mold of the original three.

I'll go see Solo, but I'm not going to expect much.

I thought that Disney would add value to the franchise, they've managed to take what should be a slam dunk into a circus. Shame, and I'm a big fan of JJ Abrams

Reaction Score
Why Lucas killed off Darth Maul is probably one dumbest movie descions ever made.

Maul was mysterious, scary and evil. Somebody should have tapped Lucas on the shoulder and said "Maybe we should keep this guy around for a couple of more movies"

The Force Awakens sucked

I thought that Disney would add value to the franchise, they've managed to take what should be a slam dunk into a circus. Shame, and I'm a big fan of JJ Abrams
Don’t give them your money (although by now a good cut goes to the theatres)

Reaction Score
Agreed that it was a bad idea. Villains need screen time, especially one as badass (in theory as Maul).

But you're about to--sort of--get your wish, as Maul will be the antagonist in the background of any future Solo films.

Reaction Score

The Force Awakens sucked

Lucas hates the rule of cool.

Reaction Score
Agreed that it was a bad idea. Villains need screen time, especially one as badass (in theory as Maul).

But you're about to--sort of--get your wish, as Maul will be the antagonist in the background of any future Solo films.
Your spoiler makes me want to see Solo. How that's not part of the trailer is beyond me

Reaction Score
Your spoiler makes me want to see Solo. How that's not part of the trailer is beyond me
Because that character appears only at the very end and in a hologram. It's sort of the Emperor in Empire.

Reaction Score
This is great. I am by no means an expert on the Star Wars series. I enjoyed the prequal trilogy, including the pod race. Just recently watched The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi and all I kept thinking to myself was, this scalitoing sucks. Reading these posts made me think that there is plenty of material for some MST 3000 footage. Got me to thinking, which had a better look, Crow T. Robot or Kylo Ren? I'll go with the Robot. Ren was completely, 100% awful.

Rey is the only new character I liked about the new sequals. Han is always entertaining.

View attachment 31733
images

Pretty cool that we have George Lucas posting on the boneyard.

The prequels were an epic disaster.

August_West

Reaction Score
Pretty cool that we have George Lucas posting on the boneyard.

The prequels were an epic disaster.

And thats a fine opinion to have. But these first two are trash too. Utter Garbage. So I guess we can come to the consensus that the Star Wars franchise hasnt made a redeeming movie since the early 80's.

Sorry y'all missed it.

Because I will accept that people dont like the prequels. Fine. Nobody denies that there weren't a plethora of screw ups in them.

But If you hate the prequels but love TFA and TLJ, then I automatically invalidate the opinion of that poster. Because you have blinders on.

My opinion Is not that the prequels were great. Its that the first 2 of this trilogy are WORSE.

Reaction Score

I get that media/art is subjective but I can't trust anyone's taste if they think TFA and TLJ are objectively bad movies. Put them up against truly bad movies and they start to look like masterpieces.

August_West

Reaction Score
I get that media/art is subjective but I can't trust anyone's taste if they think TFA and TLJ are objectively bad movies. Put them up against truly bad movies and they start to look like masterpieces.

Jmick masterpiece
56ad136f33f2b09fc72531255c3be8a3.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom