Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads)

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Yes, by making it worse.

Fast forward a few months when some transfer portal super senior is getting 36 minutes a night while Hurley forgets who Floyd is.

The systemic issue right now is roster management.

I don’t see that as the larger issue but the byproduct of a unique circumstance with the Covid year guys.

I just can’t see them burying a guy at a position of need if he had the tools to get it done. He’s given freshmen minutes before and he gave Hawkins minutes this year, even as he worked through some confidence/mechanical issues.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Floyd is a combo guard for sure, but eventually I wouldn’t be shocked to see him in ball handling situations.

Ideally we needed two guys anyway. Had we signed someone good and gone in with Transfer/Gaffney/Diggins I think the general response would’ve been that it’s OK but not an improvement on where we were last year, at least initially.

The one thing the past 2 years has shown the staff is that we need size at the guard spot. Guards with size that were able to back down RJ absolutely killed us. We lived with it because of how special RJ was offensively and the intangibles that he brings, but I will be stunned if we see a slight/undersized guard again anytime soon.

We all wanted Rahsool to work out but this is an opportunity to fix a systemic issue that has plagued us the last two years.
i thought he was the main ball handler on the top AAU team in the country

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hurley saw the same thing most of us did all year, our guard depth wasn't up to snuff. I'm glad he is aggressively trying to fix it. Some of you seem to prefer he just sit on his hands and hope for the best.
Except that we are told Hurley wanted him to stay, and he's a guard.

Reaction Score
Except that we are told Hurley wanted him to stay, and he's a guard.

It's a new era, every player is a free agent at the end of each year. Adapt or die. If Hawkins were leaving I would be worried.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes, by making it worse.

Fast forward a few months when some transfer portal super senior is getting 36 minutes a night while Hurley forgets who Floyd is.

We were nominally better this past year because Whaley and Polley came back, but it made us worse in 22-23. That's why Cole and Martin not coming back is better for us long term. But Hurley needs to adapt better.

Poe

Reaction Score
He played like garbage in garbage time. If he was better than gaffney he would have been given more minutes. Obviously Hurley’s objective was to win now, and he saw that giving minutes to gaffney was a better option than giving minutes diggins.

He gave minutes to Hawkins so he’s not afraid to give minutes to freshmen. Sometimes players just aren’t good enough or won’t be good enough for several years. No big loss here.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
When was the last time our only returning point guard transferred out? Yes, JC had misses -- but those misses didn't put us in a situation like this. Big difference IMO. Still time for Hurley to pull something off here with the transfer portal, but we're still in a difficult situation.

It's not ideal, but my guess is that while it would have been in Hurley's best interest to keep Diggins as insurance, he was probably candid with him about his chances of getting major PT.

No question we need to hit the portal hard.

Reaction Score
Hurley man……

We got an issue on our hands here folks.

Thankfully the solution to the issue is pretty simple...

BY-Block.jpg

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Problem is, this makes it difficult to recruit that second guard transfer we need.

The task is no longer to recruit a starting PG, backed up by Gaffney and Diggins. The task is to recruit a starting PG, backed up by Gaffney and a second transfer who must be satisfied with a third string role. It is unlikely that we can entice anyone of caliber to fill that role.

Why couldn't we just recruit two good guards that would both play over Gaffney?

Reaction Score
Whatever we think of Gaffney, it would be nice now if he doesn't announce tomorrow that he's transferring. And there's the business of recruiting not one but two point guard transfers. Here a few conversations DH needs to have:

First, with Gaffney: "Gaff, you are my starting point. Don't think I'm going to bring someone in here and just hand him the job.

Second, with potential transfers: "The job is wide open -- and you're just the guy I think can handle it."

Third. with second potential transfer after the first commits: "The job is still wide open, and you were always my first choice anyway."

Tough sells, maybe, but that is why DH gets the big bucks.

Reaction Score
Yes, by making it worse.

With the exception of Duke (who obviously has 5 star freshmen all over the place), all I’ve seen in the later rounds of the NCAA tournament is older teams with short rotations, most of which include impact transfers.

If we have roster management issues, then who doesn’t?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
There is an interesting social experiment here on how people process data and information.

There are a lot of people on here convinced that diggins, Floyd, karaban, and Johnson are definitely absolute studs that under the proper coaching regime play a huge part in our success.

There are also quite a few people (probably with a fair amount of overlap) who are not convinced about Jackson, Hawkins and some not even Sanogo.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yea let's call a spade a spade, Hurley's loyalty to playing Gaff likely costed us a future with Diggins. If Diggins gets 10mpg I doubt he's leaving. Maybe it was the right call for this season but probably hurts long term.

Loyalty. LOL. Kid couldn't win easy minutes that were clearly available to him. Whatever happens him moving on is best for all parties. Maybe we'll all finally learn that social media doesn't win ballgames.

I had very high hopes for Gaffney, this season, but it didn't pan put put as he seemed a couple steps slower than everyone else on the floor. I still cons9der himnan asset and maybe he figures it out enough to make a difference, but if Diggins couldn't beat him in practice this year then he wasn't going to be a useful player for us next year at this level.

Reaction Score
How can people come up with Hurley being the issue? Did y’all watch when diggins actually got in the game? He wasn’t gonna be a starting big east pg this season coming up either
He had such little opportunity! I don’t know how some of you are drawing such a conclusion based on a tiny sample size. He got gobbled up late in that Georgetown game when Ewing decided to employ the 83-84 Hoya pressure down 20 with two minutes to go but that’s the only time he looked really bad to me. Other than that he got such limited minutes he probably played scared. Aside from a great transfer in Cole, all the staff has to show at PG in 4 years is Jalen Gaffney.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There is an interesting social experiment here on how people process data and information.

There are a lot of people on here convinced that diggins, Floyd, karaban, and Johnson are definitely absolute studs that under the proper coaching regime play a huge part in our success.

There are also quite a few people (probably with a fair amount of overlap) who are not convinced about Jackson, Hawkins and some not even Sanogo.

Hawkins and Sanogo will be fine. Jackson will continue to amaze and frustrate. The others guys will need to show us. No shame in any of them sitting behind some very good seniors. Diggins was the guy who had the opportunity to play more and didn't.

Reaction Score
Some pro 'Jackson is a PG' people pushed back. That's fine. Call Jackson a PG. It doesn't matter to me. We still need to play him with actual guards. I'm thinking 2 of them (just thought of that now all by myself). Then you can call it a 3 guard lineup and label Jackson the PG if you like. Everyone is happy.

Reaction Score
i'm just thankful it's not the other rising sophomore, that didn't get to play much as a frosh, that's transferring. he's actually going to be counted on this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, by making it worse.

This ^. We haven’t been flush with point guards since DH got here. We needed point guard help/depth two years ago and the staff’s response was hoping that Gaffney would make a sizeable jump (despite not exactly giving any consistent indication that he was capable of that)…and placing a big bet that Diggins would be the guy. They got both of those wrong in a big way and now we find ourselves way behind the eight ball recruiting wise and needing to go the portal not for depth, but to salvage/survive the 22-23 season. Completely unacceptable at this level in this day and age.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom