Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads)

Reaction Score
There’s a difference between Jackson playing point forward and point guard. We need to get talented guards who can score and break down the defense. Jackson isn’t the answer there. Where Jackson gives us some flexibility is I think we could survive bringing in combo guards instead of a pure point and let Jackson run the offense. I don’t think that’s ideal, but we could survive. Jackson playing pg next to bigger wings would not be good.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
As in the only one he’s recruited that was good? Gaff isn’t it, neither was Sool apparently. We’ll see what Castle brings, but so far, DH’s point guard recruits haven’t been that great.

One of the three points guards he brought in was first team all Big east what in the world are you talking about.

Reaction Score
An outlier must have a large enough sample size to show that it's meaningfully different than the rest. How many PGs has Dan actively recruited in four years? There's only so many. He hit on RJ, he missed on Rashool. You don't recruit brand new PGs out of high school every season.
I sucked at math, but I’m also a fan. So outlier means to me that so far he’s recruited more bad PGs then good ones. Mmmkay?

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Floyd being a player doesn't solve the massive hole we have at point guard. We now need two studs who can handle the ball and score for next season.

Floyd is a combo guard for sure, but eventually I wouldn’t be shocked to see him in ball handling situations.

Ideally we needed two guys anyway. Had we signed someone good and gone in with Transfer/Gaffney/Diggins I think the general response would’ve been that it’s OK but not an improvement on where we were last year, at least initially.

The one thing the past 2 years has shown the staff is that we need size at the guard spot. Guards with size that were able to back down RJ absolutely killed us. We lived with it because of how special RJ was offensively and the intangibles that he brings, but I will be stunned if we see a slight/undersized guard again anytime soon.

We all wanted Rahsool to work out but this is an opportunity to fix a systemic issue that has plagued us the last two years.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else see the problem here? How do you recruit two point guards out of the transfer portal? What do you tell the second one after you recruit the first one? Does anyone really want to come in here to play the third-string Diggins role? And, btw, as you scout around for the two new points, how do you keep Gaffney on the leash?

Reaction Score
I really wish Diggins wasn't leaving but it does help give a bit of clarity. Alot is now riding on Floyd being a legit piece from day 1. I am hopeful of that and the coaching staff seems to be as well. I also really think that a team with jackson doesn't need a true point guard and hopefully a starting lineup with floyd jackson hawkins one of the forwards and sanogo has enough playmaking.... If Jackson improves just a bit and floyd is legit I think the team will be good and ready by day 1

Reaction Score
I really wish Diggins wasn't leaving but it does help give a bit of clarity. Alot is now riding on Floyd being a legit piece from day 1. I am hopeful of that and the coaching staff seems to be as well. I also really think that a team with jackson doesn't need a true point guard and hopefully a starting lineup with floyd jackson hawkins one of the forwards and sanogo has enough playmaking.... If Jackson improves just a bit and floyd is legit I think the team will be good and ready by day 1
Isn’t Floyd a 2 guard? Maybe they’re looking more at Castle as the difference maker.

Reaction Score
Andre Jackson was the best defensive player (not just guards) in the Big East last season. Defense isn't his issue at all
Andre Jackson was the best defensive player (not just guards) in the Big East last season. Defense isn't his issue at all

View attachment 75021
You’re right, AJax was a total lockdown defender on Teddy Allen. Andre “on his hip” Jackson. Andre has the physical tools to be anything he wants to be but he is so far from a finished product at this point. He looked great on the defensive end many time this season but he also got abused off the dribble…a lot!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We all wanted Rahsool to work out but this is an opportunity to fix a systemic issue that has plagued us the last two years.

Yes, by making it worse.

Fast forward a few months when some transfer portal super senior is getting 36 minutes a night while Hurley forgets who Floyd is.

The systemic issue right now is roster management.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Sad to see him go. Wish him the best. We need a guard who can score like RJ. Ideally he will be a good shooter on the perimeter and be able to get to the rim some. They also need some scoring production from the 4 spot since Jackson doesn't bring much of that as a 3. Maybe he improves that area. I hope Johnson & Akok can make some strides.

Reaction Score
An outlier must have a large enough sample size to show that it's meaningfully different than the rest. How many PGs has Dan actively recruited in four years? There's only so many. He hit on RJ, he missed on Rashool. You don't recruit brand new PGs out of high school every season.
I think the poster was thinking of Gaffney as a PG too.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else see the problem here? How do you recruit two point guards out of the transfer portal? What do you tell the second one after you recruit the first one? Does anyone really want to come in here to play the third-string Diggins role? And, btw, as you scout around for the two new points, how do you keep Gaffney on the leash?
Why would we be concerned with keeping Gaffney on the leash?

Reaction Score
You tell the 1st it's wide open and we want you to run the show.
You tell the 2nd there's a lot of minutes available and I'm going to let you compete for the starting job.

The 2nd guy won't be as good as the 1st, but again, he'll be a backup PG.

Reaction Score
You’re right, AJax was a total lockdown defender on Teddy Allen. Andre “on his hip” Jackson. Andre has the physical tools to be anything he wants to be but he is so far from a finished product at this point. He looked great on the defensive end many time this season but he also got abused off the dribble…a lot!
He was I surely didn't see that in the second half when he went off on AJ and any other man we threw at him. AJ is a lazy defender who likes to go for the block and steal from behind. H needs to work on getting down and guarding his man and not letting him get pass him.

Reaction Score
I think Andre Jackson is good enough to handle PG duties if that is Hurley’s plan. That said, we do need another combo guard who can score and a shooter to round out our offense

Reaction Score
Yes, by making it worse.

Fast forward a few months when some transfer portal super senior is getting 36 minutes a night while Hurley forgets who Floyd is.

Your hate for the transfer portal is very strange. Everyone one uses it and a lot of teams have been very successful doing it. It is a reality that you are unwilling to accept for whatever reason.

Reaction Score
Jackson as a PG keeps coming up. He's a good ball handler. Can get a rebound and push the ball. But he can't consistently beat a PG off the dribble, get his own shot, defend an opposing PG very well. He's just a well rounded basketball player with ok handle and passing. We still need actual guards.

Any defender will give him several feet of space. He does not shoot well, this is going to limit his passing options. His best passes has been in transition, not so much in the half court.

Reaction Score
Yes, by making it worse.

This is so off base its almost as comical as some of your better posts in the past. Diggins is leaving because there is no clear path here for him to get on the floor. He is not leaving for a greener pasture. Not sure at all how that makes us worse.

Reaction Score
I think Andre Jackson is good enough to handle PG duties if that is Hurley’s plan. That said, we do need another combo guard who can score and a shooter to round out our offense
He’s a good enough passer with a serviceable handle. But unless he gets his O in gear, he won’t be the answer at PG. This would be a horrible move by DH.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom