2021 Recruiting: - Rahsool Diggins Commits to UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Rahsool Diggins Commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"They said he has a chance to start as a freshman."

How you phrased this is kind of misleading. Probably not intentional or anything. The coaches aren't making promises they can't keep. All this means is they said "the best players get minutes. If you work hard it might be you."

Bouk is gone early. I highly doubt Cole does. Not big or athletic enough. Andre has a chance to be 1 and done but I would say it's pretty minimal.

Chance to start means he could start. I didn’t intend to mislead. I just thought that quote from his coach kind of stood out.

just thought it was an interesting tidbit &was curious of the thought behind it. Sr Cole, Jr JG, Sr BA, Soph Dre & Jr Martin. Just thought it was a interesting quote. Again, didn’t mean to mislead

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
That really helped,” said Diggins of Connecticut’s conference switch. “My family, now they can still see me play. They can still see me even on road games because most won’t be far away, and the home games are just a few hours away as well. My friends and family will be able to drive to see me which was a big deal for me.”
Boom.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
ogRxsiD.gif
So good, has me giggling this early pst.

pj

Reaction Score
Ok let’s not get crazy. JC was at Northeastern then took over a UConn team who lived in the cellar of the Big East with little recruiting power. UConns name is here because of JC and Hurley’s taking full advantage of what the program is and was. Great job but not happening without JC and it wasn’t close to 25 years for him to build it.

Nonetheless this staff is getting it done, very exciting to see who’s next.

JC's coaching career started in 1968. In years 10-20, which is comparable to where Hurley is now, JC had some top recruits including Reggie Lewis at Northeastern and Chris Smith at UConn, but he wasn't able to pull in full classes of 4* players. Only after the Dream Season in the 1990s did he start doing that. And even after the Dream Season, JC had plenty of 3* recruits.

JC was arguably the greatest coach (though not the greatest recruiter) of all time. But Hurley may be a better recruiter. Overall this staff is great at recruiting.

And it's recruiting specifically I was referring to ("Calhoun had been a coach for about 25 years before he was recruiting at this level.").

Reaction Score
Ok let’s not get crazy. JC was at Northeastern then took over a UConn team who lived in the cellar of the Big East with little recruiting power. UConns name is here because of JC and Hurley’s taking full advantage of what the program is and was. Great job but not happening without JC and it wasn’t close to 25 years for him to build it.

Nonetheless this staff is getting it done, very exciting to see who’s next.
Exactly. This is comparing apples to oranges. JC made UConn a brand. Hurley was brought in to rebuild a struggling program. Hurley has rose through the ranks. Like JC, he succeeded at every level, including high school. Hurley's pedigree, his passion, his work ethic, his relentlessness, his reputation, his contacts makes him an unstoppable force on the recruiting trail. Combine that with a national brand like UConn, a top 5 fanbase who travels when things go well, playing again in the Big East and our second home MSG, this is the perfect fit. Its why we wanted Hurley, and Hurley wanted UConn. Sanogo and Diggins are just the beginning. What a sweet beginning it is. UConn is back.

Hurley also gets it. He embraces all that UConn was and all that JC accomplished. Bringing back a UConn soldier like Tom Moore was so smart. He is the bridge in all of this and the perfect compliment to Hurley himself. What a team, what a staff.

Reaction Score
JC's coaching career started in 1968. In years 10-20, which is comparable to where Hurley is now, JC had some top recruits including Reggie Lewis at Northeastern and Chris Smith at UConn, but he wasn't able to pull in full classes of 4* players. Only after the Dream Season in the 1990s did he start doing that. And even after the Dream Season, JC had plenty of 3* recruits.

JC was arguably the greatest coach (though not the greatest recruiter) of all time. But Hurley may be a better recruiter. Overall this staff is great at recruiting.

And it's recruiting specifically I was referring to ("Calhoun had been a coach for about 25 years before he was recruiting at this level.").
Not sure what any of this means. Penny Hardaway was recruiting 5*s before he coached his first game ever. So much of this is circumstantial. The rest is generational. The recruitment of basketball is quite different now than it was when JC came to UConn in the late 80s. Did Coach K recruit as well at Army as he does now at Duke? It took him about the same time to build Duke as it did JC to build UConn.

Reaction Score
Pretty much confirms what we all knew that Samson Johnson is the next target.

Also another person mentioning Gaffney turning pro early, maybe they know something

Reaction Score

Also another person mentioning Gaffney turning pro early, maybe they know something
It would take an absolutely monster year for Gaffney to be ready for the NBA. I think he will get there eventually, but that would be quite the transformation if it only took him 1 offseason to get to that next level

Reaction Score

Yeah and JC recruited at UConn like never before even though most kids still looked at them as a Yankee Conference school even though they were in the Big East. JC took over UConn the cellar dweller and DH took over UConn the 4 time National Champion that’s the only difference. DH is doing great things no doubt but long way to go before that comparison will stand for me.

Reaction Score

The first time it was said, I think it was by someone who got Gaffney and Bouk mixed up. We shouldn’t be worrying about Gaff going pro at this point...Zags also said “at some point”...so he didn’t specify going after this year. I think there’s maybe a 10% chance he’s a 3 year guy, but pretty much zero that he leaves after 2 years.

Reaction Score
That would be a strange decision.
True, but the decisions get stranger and stranger every year.

Just in the Big East alone: Naji Marshall, Ty-Shon Alexander, Brendan Bailey, Jordan Tucker, Omer Yurtseven, Paul Reed. Out of those players, Reed is the only guy who gets consistent projection as a future draft pick.

Marshall and Alexander are very good players, the types of guys a decade ago would be pegged as "very good four year college players" who end up playing 10-15 years around the world. Bailey and Tucker haven't done anything pro-worthy yet and Yurtseven is a bit of an asterisk since he left to return to Europe and it was essentially going to be his last year at Georgetown even before the year started.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We have a strong and great history with City guards. Too many to name, as well as successes.

From the Street to Storrs, great things happen.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Good point except KFree. He was Springfield MA and NJ.
I knew that. But I experienced a brain fart.
Did you know he played with Tim Thomas?<G>
Speaking of being old, I think of this signing as payback, (finally) for Rollie stealing Harold Jensen out of our back yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom