Raegan Beers to UConn or OU | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Raegan Beers to UConn or OU

Status
Not open for further replies.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
I believe that Beers has a way better chance at NILs and the WNBA if she came to Uconn. She will have better competition going up against Jana, Ice, and Paterson during practices and have the opportunity to be coached by a HOF coach who almost always has players drafted in the W.
Remember there are two kinds of NIL. The first is like Paige and Azzi- companies like Gatorade and Under Armour pay the player to use them in promotions and advertising. The second is the use of the NIL as pay for play via the booster collective.

Many of the Power 4 schools are pretty brazen in just offering this cash as a transfer incentive.

As far as I know UConn women's program has only supported real NILs, and has a legitimate UConn nil program for jersey sales, autograph/photo ops etc. I don't think there has been any pay to play so far.
For perspective, pretty good sources quote a $500,000 offer last year from an SEC school to a transfer. The home school offered $250,000 to stay...and she was gone.

Reaction Score
Remember there are two kinds of NIL. The first is like Paige and Azzi- companies like Gatorade and Under Armour pay the player to use them in promotions and advertising. The second is the use of the NIL as pay for play via the booster collective.

Many of the Power 4 schools are pretty brazen in just offering this cash as a transfer incentive.

As far as I know UConn women's program has only supported real NILs, and has a legitimate UConn nil program for jersey sales, autograph/photo ops etc. I don't think there has been any pay to play so far.
For perspective, pretty good sources quote a $500,000 offer last year from an SEC school to a transfer. The home school offered $250,000 to stay...and she was gone.
Coaches have talked about how schools promise these numbers to players but don’t always follow up in delivery. It’s be wary of such offers.

Regardless it looks like Beers is off the board. My preference would be the girl from BU for that open schollie.

Reaction Score
She already has been to UConn. She left here (Norman) and headed straight to UConn. What does that mean? I'll let others decide. She has started following OU's Director of Women's Basketball on Instagram in addition to several OU players. R

Where has this been reported ?
Welcome to the Boneyard!

Beers might have been following OU staff to keep up with the itinerary while at OU. I would not read too much into it until after May 1st....

Reaction Score

I doubt your source. Let’s look at the top of the SEC food chain. Their collective NIL pays 25k per player. No more no less. Their fund is an open book for the NCAA to review. Nobody is leaving for more money.

Purported mega-NIL fund LSU signed nobody this year. Lost one to SCar, one to UConn and one to tOSU. We’re they “outbid?”

These half million dollar claims for wbb players are bs. The players who make big money to do from their personal deals. Not team collectives.

Reaction Score
I doubt your source. Let’s look at the top of the SEC food chain. Their collective NIL pays 25k per player. No more no less. Their fund is an open book for the NCAA to review. Nobody is leaving for more money.

Purported mega-NIL fund LSU signed nobody this year. Lost one to SCar, one to UConn and one to tOSU. We’re they “outbid?”

These half million dollar claims for wbb players are bs. The players who make big money to do from their personal deals. Not team collectives.
I agree with you that schools are playing players this much. I also believe coaches are telling players they’ll pay them this much and not delivering. Seems like adoration of multiple things being true at once.

Reaction Score

Dag Morrow really made out good. Jk

I really wish there was some investigative journalism regarding this. It's an interesting topic. And just like u laid out, I don't need to know the exact player or even program, just kind of an overview of payment. Poor diction of course none of it is needed, just would be interesting to know.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Just want to say here, that no matter what Beers decides to do next, she has already proven herself as a college player and a WNBA prospect.

She has already been named an All American (AP third team, The Athletic's second team).
She has already played in an Elite 8 (losing only to the national champion SC).
She has already played against elite post talent in the Pac-12.

Yes, if her top goal is a national championship, UConn makes the most sense. But IMO, both UConn and OK need Beers...far more than she needs them.

Reaction Score
Just want to say here, that no matter what Beers decides to do next, she has already proven herself as a college player and a WNBA prospect.

She has already been named an All American (AP third team, The Athletic's second team).

Yes, if her top goal is a national championship, UConn makes the most sense. But IMO, both UConn and OK need Beers...far more than she needs them.
UConn wants her but she won't make or break our season.

Reaction Score

What? You act as if Beers is Caitlin Clark and UConn won’t have as season if they don’t get her. Lol this is such hyperbole.

Reaction Score
That depends on who is on the bench, how much he trusts them, and how well various combinations of players work together. Geno is not rigid. Over the years he has employer different strategies, depending on personnel.
I said "usually," - you said "depends." IMO we are not far off. :).IMO he "usually" does not trust the bench as much because the certain core combinations (1-7/8) worrk much better together than the 9th/10th players off the bench can. As a result, playing that 9th/10th player in big games depends on how close they are to the 3rd/4th/5th players. :)

Reaction Score
Seems that way but Juju and a great recruiting class will be at least an Elite 8 team and I expect the same for ND with Hidalgo, Miles and Cintron.
Better not sleep on Texas! Vic has that team on the verge of greatness! Harmon and Booker are legitimate stars and he’s surrounding them with good players. Talented players plus a great coach equals a potential championship!

Reaction Score
If she’s got a chance to make life changing money at Oklahoma, I don’t blame her at all for choosing that. Sure, she’s not going to win the title she likely would at UConn but a title isn’t going to allow her to retire at 45 like a million dollars might. It all comes down to what is important to her and where she feels she will be happy.
I hope she comes to UConn but only if she really believes this is where she should be. There are other fish in the sea and we already have a lot of whoppers on our roster anyway! We’ll be fine regardless of Beers’s choice!
I wonder if Iriafen will visit?:rolleyes: She would look pretty good between Jana and Strong.:)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You think Oklahoma is giving money to women's basketball?
Yes, unfortunately, the same as SC, LSU and just about every other “P5” college. Big time football schools have “alumni collectives” that raise money for NIL payouts to athletes. Men’s football & basketball are first on the list. But WBB is increasingly viewed as a sport that needs to be financially supported.

So a player like Beers does not need an agent to sign outside NIL deals with Gatorade or Nike. She will be told, before she ever signs with Oklahoma, if she signs with Oklahoma, that her NIL deal will be worth so many dollars per year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, unfortunately, the same as SC, LSU and just about every other “P5” college. Big time football schools have “alumni collectives” that raise money for NIL payouts to athletes. Men’s football & basketball are first on the list. But WBB is increasingly viewed as a sport that needs to be financially supported.

So a player like Beers does not need an agent to sign outside NIL deals with Gatorade or Nike. She will be told, before she ever signs with Oklahoma, if she signs with Oklahoma, that her NIL deal will be worth so many dollars per year.
SCar pays 25k from its collective., that’s it! And it is totally transparent. How many other schools are transparent with their collective? One?

Any other NIL a player gets is from commercial sources . sCar has no control over that and can’t tell a prospect : “ you will get another 250 k from Nike.”

Reaction Score
SCar pays 25k from its collective., that’s it! And it is totally transparent. How many other schools are transparent with their collective? One?

Any other NIL a player gets is from commercial sources . sCar has no control over that and can’t tell a prospect : “ you will get another 250 k from Nike.”
Does UConn’s collective pay players an equal amount? Do they pay players different amounts? Do we have any idea what UConn pays from their collective?

Of course Paige makes the most from her endorsements and ads on her social media. That’s hers: not collective money.

People who think big money football schools are paying millions to wbb are wrong. Scar is a big money football school despite its performance on the field but it pays only 25 k to every wbb player on its team from its smallish collective. Again - what does a UConn pay?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Does UConn’s collective pay players an equal amount? Do they pay players different amounts? Do we have any idea what UConn pays from their collective?

Of course Paige makes the most from her endorsements and ads on her social media. That’s hers: not collective money.

People who think big money football schools are paying millions to wbb are wrong. Scar is a big money football school despite its performance on the field but it pays only 25 k to every wbb player on its team from its smallish collective. Again - what does a UConn pay?
You make several good points. Yes, UConn basketball has 2 collectives as well as an “NIL store” where fans can purchase player jerseys and other gear. While I presume that players earn a percentage of sales from the NIL store, I can not find any information on the amount players are compensated by the collectives.

As you point out, for players that are fortunate enough to earn money on social media or from advertisers, that’s their own money. The concern with collectives is that it’s becoming an arms race, with schools increasingly offering ever greater compensation to top players. Recall that a short time before he retired, Nick Saban called on Alabama alumni to substantially increase funding to their collective because the Crimson Tide were falling behind other big time football schools when it came to player compensation.

There’s an obvious danger to competitive college sports. Unless the NCAA or Congress establishes some maximum guidelines to payments by collectives to athletes, we could be looking at the end of college sports as we know it. To some degree, that’s already happening as the P5 increasingly looks like it’s becoming the P2. We all remember what happened to, “The Goose That Laid The Golden Egg.” :(

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn wants her but she won't make or break our season.

She would make them but not coming wouldn’t break them. The women have been deprived of a big that takes space and rebounds the ball as well as she does. Add the scoring ability she would be a huge addition to what can be a very good team.

Reaction Score
You make several good points. Yes, UConn basketball has 2 collectives as well as an “NIL store” where fans can purchase player jerseys and other gear. While I presume that players earn a percentage of sales from the NIL store, I can not find any information on the amount players are compensated by the collectives.

As you point out, for players that are fortunate enough to earn money on social media or from advertisers, that’s their own money. The concern with collectives is that it’s becoming an arms race, with schools increasingly offering ever greater compensation to top players. Recall that a short time before he retired, Nick Saban called on Alabama alumni to substantially increase funding to their collective because the Crimson Tide were falling behind other big time football schools when it came to player compensation.

There’s an obvious danger to competitive college sports. Unless the NCAA or Congress establishes some maximum guidelines to payments by collectives to athletes, we could be looking at the end of college sports as we know it. To some degree, that’s already happening as the P5 increasingly looks like it’s becoming the P2. We all remember what happened to, “The Goose That Laid The Golden Egg.” :(
Yes. There is an “ arms race” for collective money for football. I am not convinced that Alabama and tOSU extend that arms race to wbb. vol wbb fans have been moaning that their wbb collective is tiny while it’s football collective pays out millions.

I remain unconvinced about the mega dollars being paid to women’s basketball players by the collectives. Endorsement? Yes. Boston, Paige, Clark, Angel etc are making megabucks but a school can’t recruit based upon those outside sources. It can only tell players what can be paid by the collectives. I hope others are, like SCar, paying its players equal amounts.

If all this collective money is out there, why didn’t LSU buy Strong, Edwards and Cambridge? Especially considering that SCar “only” pays 25k.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes. There is an “ arms race” for collective money for football. I am not convinced that Alabama and tOSU extend that arms race to wbb. vol wbb fans have been moaning that their wbb collective is tiny while it’s football collective pays out millions.

I remain unconvinced about the mega dollars being paid to women’s basketball players by the collectives. Endorsement? Yes. Boston, Paige, Clark, Angel etc are making megabucks but a school can’t recruit based upon those outside sources. It can only tell players what can be paid by the collectives. I hope others are, like SCar, paying its players equal amounts.

If all this collective money is out there, why didn’t LSU buy Strong, Edwards and Cambridge? Especially considering that SCar “only” pays 25k.
While WBB players may not be making the BIG NIL BUCKS just yet, rest assured it’s coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom