Questions for next season | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Questions for next season

Reaction Score
I hope you are prepared to eat some crow next season. Amari almost certainly has the skill set to be a player. She needs to improve her conditioning and play with a better “motor”. Jamelle will see to it that Amari makes a sophomore leap.

Piath is certainly more of a project. But Geno has praised both Piath & Amari for their hard work this season and I am not prepared to dismiss her as a contributor just yet.
And, in post game final four "scrum" Geno praised Amari, talked about her skill set, and she has "committed to spend all summer working on her post moves" I believe at Storrs. Sounded like she is going to be a part of the rotation next season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Your words "Looking forward to Jamelle working her magic on Amari, Piath, Ice & Ayanna, to go along with Aaliyah, giving UConn a real chance at banner #12"

My point is I haven't seen any "magic" from the coaching staff pertaining to players making vast improvements in their games either during the year or year to year recently. If I missed someone I will listen.
IMO Jamelle, who puts in a lot of time with UConn’s forwards, has done a really good job of developing both Liv & Aaliyah.

Reaction Score
Yeah I agree with most saying it's going to be Paige, Azzi, CD, AE, Dorka, with Nika getting starter minutes off the bench. Aubrey will help off the bench if healthy, but that's likely a huge if. If she's not, Patterson probably gets decent minutes. DeBerry and Brady will be in a battle for 3rd big minutes.

Another experienced guard in the transfer portal would be nice, if they came in knowing they were only playing 10-15 mins a game.
We should bring in a Sparkplug , quick and fast who can shoot with confidence, preferably a Grad Transfer.

Reaction Score
I think AE and Dorka can do the job at the 4 and 5. We really need AE to play a little smarter foul-wise (screens) and both to be more aggressive on the glass. AE showed spurts at the end of the season, but I'd like to see both get stronger and more aggressive.
AE showed an increasing reliability with her outside shooting as well. We would all like that to continue. She needs some skill set work on ball handling. That will help her maintain possession, and facilitate her passing and receiving. She is a real talent.

Reaction Score
I think if Aubrey is healthy you start her and see how she works her way in or out

Paige
Azzi
Aubrey
Aaliyah
Dorka

There's a lot of moving parts to consider with a lineup and it depends how these players develop over the off season (especially Nika, Aubrey, and Carloline). I think this lineup gives you experience and rebounding which if you look at the other top teams next year and their size we're gonna need... Also allows you to bring Nika and Caroline in to give a different look on both sides of the ball while also making more similar switches for Paige and Azzi to rest (A PG for a PG and a W for a W). Andddd shifts towards a more post dominant line-up which suits our depth. I'm really interested to see what Piath and Amari look like in 7 months... I think out of the two recruits Ayanna will be able to have the most immediate impact, but Isuneh may surprise (you don't have to teach size and physicality). And then throw in a possible transfer or two and who knows...I just hope Geno finds a way to utilize all the size and athleticism he'll have on this roster, in the post. 3-5 positions you have...

6'1" Aubrey G/F
6'2" Caroline G/F
6'3"Ayanna F
6'3" Aaliyah F
6'4" Isuneh F
6'5" Amari F
6'5" Piath F
6'5" Dorka F

so use it!
Hold on a moment. folks. We already ( with Aubrey back ) have 11 ( I think). If everyone is much better next season ( our hope 0 , that doesn't leave enough minutes for 11. I mean, we know it can work out. My point is; I don't see Geno looking to add someone from the outside.

Reaction Score
So was that 10 foul gap because they were faster and more physical that us, or was it just bad officiating?
It’s obvious from the officiating perspective that SC was GOING to win the game. Watch the game again, I don’t want to lol but it’s there…

Reaction Score
Hold on a moment. folks. We already ( with Aubrey back ) have 11 ( I think). If everyone is much better next season ( our hope 0 , that doesn't leave enough minutes for 11. I mean, we know it can work out. My point is; I don't see Geno looking to add someone from the outside.
I think you have to every year from now on (transfers)… it’s like the lottery, “you have to play to WIN it all”.

Reaction Score
You might be right that Geno doesn’t look outside, but you shouldn’t base it on roster numbers but talent. If there is a player Geno & Co. sees could help them next year why not do so. Aubrey is coming off back surgery. Piath and Amari are unproven and we have to bank on Dorka elevating her game as a starter. We don’t have truly offensive proven post players at this point. We need another guard that can be like E and provide offense and defense.

Reaction Score
I agree with this clarification: It's not just height it's girth, mass, power. The inside players you mentioned, Dolson, Stokes, Tuck all were big bodies who do not get out muscled but actually did that themselves. We have been missing that for 6 years now. SC shoves, pushes, and crowds and will always do so as long as they have Boston and others. You have to match that. With Dorka and Aaliyah you have an inside game with hopefully a decent sub or two next year but it's not yet a power presence. I also think Aaliyah gives a lot back with bad fouls, turnovers and bad hands. The game has changed and the refs call nothing underneath. I hate it.
"The game has changed and the refs call nothing underneath. I hate it."

It is disappointing that play near the basket is just a shoving match... and the pushers get overlooked more than the pushees.

Reaction Score
I suspect if you asked Diana's teammates if she won two national titles by herself, they might look perplexed. I remember well watching those late-round games both in '03 and '04 and there were plenty of times Taurasi was not the only player on the court for UConn.

Advocate for DT as you wish, but it's overstating to say she won two titles by herself. Certainly she was the team leader, and the player the Huskies looked to in big moments. I'd say the same could have been said of Maya and Stewie. You also left out some rather significant resume items for the latter two which I'd guess you know well but don't help your case here.

Reaction Score
IMO Jamelle, who puts in a lot of time with UConn’s forwards, has done a really good job of developing both Liv & Aaliyah.
With respect, Oldude, I believe most observers would say Liv didn't progress as much during her four seasons as everyone would have anticipated back during the 2018-19 season. I won't lay that on Jamelle as much as I do on Liv, but ONO's was not ultimately a success story at UConn.

Reaction Score
People complain to me here even when most of the time I didn't even start the conversation on Betts but I've never complained once before about the constant banter about the days of old in Uconndom. Constantly off topic but there you have it. Personally I could care less about any uconn activity before last year but I try not to ruin it for you folks who do care about it. We should live and let live. You don't have to read things folks. The complaints are ridiculous. It ruins it for me. Should I complain every time you folks spend 2 pages of content reminiscing about players and times I barely know about or care about? We should be able to join in here without the insults and complaints over next to nothing. Again, most of the time I'm not even the one bringing it up but you jump on my case anyway.

Reaction Score
People complain to me here even when most of the time I didn't even start the conversation on Betts but I've never complained once before about the constant banter about the days of old in Uconndom. Constantly off topic but there you have it. Personally I could care less about any uconn activity before last year but I try not to ruin it for you folks who do care about it. We should live and let live. You don't have to read things folks. The complaints are ridiculous. It ruins it for me. Should I complain every time you folks spend 2 pages of content reminiscing about players and times I barely know about or care about? We should be able to join in here without the insults and complaints over next to nothing. Again, most of the time I'm not even the one bringing it up but you jump on my case anyway.
There's room for both your preference for current analysis, TeamFirst, and for reminiscences of the 'old days' here, I'd suggest. At least, I'd hope so... as you said, no one is being forced to read any particular post, or even thread.

Reaction Score
I enjoy the speculation about the starting players next year. It is interesting to see how everyone can get into Geno's mind. One caution, having suffered from spinal inuries and severe nerve damage to he spine, do not expect too much from Aubrey. She will never be the same again. Maybe her youth will help, however, there may be limitations to her movement and mobility. So please, keep this as a consideration.
How do we know Aubrey had severe nerve damage to her spine?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With respect, Oldude, I believe most observers would say Liv didn't progress as much during her four seasons as everyone would have anticipated back during the 2018-19 season. I won't lay that on Jamelle as much as I do on Liv, but ONO's was not ultimately a success story at UConn.
That begs the question, “What is reasonable to anticipate?” Liv does not have a big low-post body nor is she exceptionally quick. So she was never going to be Steph or Stewie, and yet that appears to be what a lot of BY’ers expected from her.

Clearly, Liv improved over 4 seasons. She worked incredibly hard, was a key contributor on 3 FF teams, earned various all-conference accolades and was a wonderful teammate. That she didn’t meet the expectations of some here on the BY is immaterial.

Reaction Score
How do we know Aubrey had severe nerve damage to her spine?
I am not her neurosurgeon but if she had to have surgery on her spine to aleviate pain due to damage to her spinal column, ie a disc pinching on a nerve or a bone spur grown from arthritus pinching on a nerve, she has had damage to to her spine. Discuss this with anyone who has surgery on their back to alleviate pain due to nerve damage caused by bone or arhritic spurs and damage to discs creating a bone on bone situation. She is young and may be resilient but........she will never be the same again no matter what they corrected.

I would caution that going for rebounds, getting knocked around and banged, falling on the floor chasing a ball, whatever could easily re-injure whatever was corrected.

I certainly wish her well and hope that she can experience and enjoy her basketball opportunity with Connecticut and do this without pain.

sun

Reaction Score
Or it could also be an attempt to keep her from doing a portal transfer. He needs her and Piath for depth at least. One of them may well join the rotation but I think either Ice or Ayanna get more PT by mid season. I would like to see some defensive ability by Amari or Piath and if so they could help us more.

Amari & Piath can but they're more inside players.
Both can certainly rebound and block shots which is defense.
They would match up against some teams and can help save wear & tear on other players.
Dorka and AE won't be able to handle all of the rebounding chores alone, and injuries are bound to occur.
Every opponent is different and every player possesses different talents.
Unless Geno wants to keep losing the big games then he's going to need to experiment with different sub's for when the injuries/illnesses happen.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
One old guy to another not sure I have seen it. Olivia better now after 4 years, Aaliyah after 2, I see the same recurring turnovers and fouls, inconsistent play. I hope I am wrong and going forward all current and new players improve from day one on campus until they leave.

Reaction Score
I am not her neurosurgeon but if she had to have surgery on her spine to aleviate pain due to damage to her spinal column, ie a disc pinching on a nerve or a bone spur grown from arthritus pinching on a nerve, she has had damage to to her spine. Discuss this with anyone who has surgery on their back to alleviate pain due to nerve damage caused by bone or arhritic spurs and damage to discs creating a bone on bone situation. She is young and may be resilient but........she will never be the same again no matter what they corrected.

I would caution that going for rebounds, getting knocked around and banged, falling on the floor chasing a ball, whatever could easily re-injure whatever was corrected.

I certainly wish her well and hope that she can experience and enjoy her basketball opportunity with Connecticut and do this without pain.
I too have suffered for years with my back, so my sympathies to you. However, while I think it is certainly possible that she will never be the same, it is not set in stone. It all depends on her original injury and it’s repair. I have seen NFL and NBA players have back surgery and then return to top level performance so it is possible. Again, it all depends on the injury, the surgery, and Aubrey herself.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One old guy to another not sure I have seen it. Olivia better now after 4 years, Aaliyah after 2, I see the same recurring turnovers and fouls, inconsistent play. I hope I am wrong and going forward all current and new players improve from day one on campus until they leave.
Sometimes we don’t see the forest for the trees. In 4 years, Liv improved her passing, the ability to finish at the basket against contact, her ability to go to her left, her rebounding range, her ability to screen effectively and her help defense, among other skills.

As for Aaliyah, I somewhat agree, with a caveat. I have felt for some time that Aaliyah regressed because she basically missed summer workouts and conditioning by making the Canadian Olympic team, where she got very little opportunity to play or develop her skills.

It took some time for the UConn coaches to get Aaliyah back to approximately the same place she was at the end of last season, which was pretty good, with tons of obvious potential. This summer, with no distractions, I expect Aaliyah to take her game to the next level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom