Questions for next season | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Questions for next season

Reaction Score
The question next year will be the same one with which we began this year: Bigs. Coach Geno understood completely at the beginning of the season that Edwards and ONO just would not bring us a NC, when he pointed out that Dorka could be that key addition in the front court that could take us to the highest level. But Dorka was not there for the Final.

This year we lose ONO, but bring back Dorka. Dorka will undoubtedly play better than ONO, and give us a more dependable presence underneath. Indeed, it could be that with a better understanding of Coach Geno's system, she'll do vastly better than she did this year.

But we're not bringing in another Boston, or Cunane, or Brink or Betts. Ice and Ayanna are 6'2" and 6'3", which means they're not the size to go toe to toe with a great post. The question is whether they can help form a credible and physical ensemble cast for the front court. That's something we haven't had since 2015, when Breanna Stewart teamed up with Kiah Stokes and Morgan Tuck. The year before was the last time we had an unstoppable front court, adding Stephanie Dolson to Stewart and Stokes. We won the NC with HOF'er Breanna at the post. But since then, we've cobbled together a front court that just couldn't get us to the Promised Land. Napheesa was undersized for the position she was forced to play at UConn. And KLS was a tall guard who was forced to play under the basket on defense.

I hold out no hope that either DeBerry or Gabriel will step forward, or will be given the go-ahead to step forward next year. I think Coach Geno has made up his mind about their prospects, and he's not likely to all of a sudden have Gabriel as the first front court player off the bench. Nor will DeBerry likely turn into a bruising back-to-the-basket post player. Instead, she's likely to, ONO-like, keep heaving threes from beyond the arc. That's not what the team needs.

Unless a great post player decides to transfer in, we will be looking at yet another year of excellent guard play, but a questionable front court. And until those questions are answered, the odds-on favorites for the next NC will be South Carolina and Stanford.
Why can't WE develop our own post players? We recruited Amari and Piath. They appear athletic, can both run the floor and catch the ball. They need footwork drills and hours shooting, from the foul line and with their backs to the basket. Tobecome proficient, Azzi shot thousands of balls. Mosqueda Lewis shot before school and Lou was practicing with her father and sisters. If South Carolina and Stanford taught us anything, we need functioning bigs to take the pressure off the guards, as equal offensive contributors. I was frustrated by seeing the open space between Olivia and the basket as the defenses retreated, knowing that she (and others) were not going to shoot or shoot well out there.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
NO TRAN

Huh? The read and react offense, with positionless basketball that allows players to move with and without the ball to find the player with the highest percentage shot? That “regimented” offense?
Yes it's read and react but some of the elements require precision as in the cuts, screens, and switching. You spend half the time worrying about getting it right, it throws you off. Recall a postgame presser, I think it was after last year's game with SC they lost some offensive possessions and Paige apologized to her teammates because she wasn't waiting on the screens she would get the ball and started immediately to go for her shot forgetting she's working in a frame. I'm not critizing Genos offense I'm just saying my observation, based on having played myself is she's instinctual, her movements innate she knows where she wants to go with the ball based on what she sees happening in real time not from preset plays. Dorka too if I recall correctly she wasn't sure where to move for awhile because she wasn't able to move to where she could give the strongest output. She went to Geno and asked where to go because she wasn't getting the flow. He asked where she likes to go that works to her skillsets, she told him and he said ok go there and we'll get you the ball. Again, not being critical of the system but it doesn't fit all offensive styles. I understand some may disagree but that's my take.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Maybe missing the point? DT's frosh season ended in 1-13 or something like that in the semi loss to ND. My comparison is that Fudd had a less than normal outing in the NC yesterday as she was sick, and it wasn't something she probably expected. So yes, I think she will come back stronger, smarter, and better as a sophomore. I was not comparing her to DT the GOAT, but what happened between F and So years. Sheesh.

Reaction Score
NPOY notwithstanding Paige is the type of player who's offense works better in a free space. Geno's is very regimented. Yes she won Awards but it doesn't change the fact she is constrained in this offense. For example a number of times I would watch Paige ready to shoot but she pulls it back because she has to wait for a play to unfold which would throw off the shot sometimes. Then she gets yelled at for not waiting for the play when she most likely saw something that probably made her move earlier...isnt it said she has great court vision?
I get the notion that great creative players need some freedom to take advantage of opportunities that develop, but what do the other players do? Will it be all 5 going anywhere they choose, or would it be just Paige with that kind of freedom? Is there still room for actual sets and plays such as setting screens up high and pick and roll? Maybe there is creativity within set plays still, I don't know. I'd look at what advantages the teams that beat us and compare what they do to what we do- is it generational players that they have but we don't? SC hurt us with Boston yes but also with how many players went after missed shots for rebounds or loose balls. They hurt us also by attacking the basket often and thus got to the free throw line much more. Maybe this year they just had more taller active athletic players, maybe there is something to Dawne's system compared to Geno's that did free them to take it inside a lot more, maybe they had couple of very fast defenders that could still handle fast breaks to prevent them.

sun

Reaction Score
I get the notion that great creative players need some freedom to take advantage of opportunities that develop, but what do the other players do?
They can help with rebounding more which some could be better at moving to the basket after a shot goes up.

Reaction Score
My biggest question is who will be that Offensive player that can break some one down and slash to the hoop and get some tough layups or create layups for others. I could see adding a player with that kind of ability thru the Portal.
If not, Aubrey is going to have to be much more than an intangible type player. CD is crafty but she doesn't have that break down slasher skill set. would like to CD work on getting a set up move to get her 3point shot off. Often she was rushing her shots.
Azzi is going to have to take another step in elevating her game and become more than just a Shooter. Saw signs of it but it needs to be more consistent as teams are going to crowd that 3 point line.
Edwards can't comeback where she left off. She has to comeback with a consistent midrange and sharp focus on her finishing moves. She needs to be three levels ahead of Ice an AP.
Dorka and Amari should be running mates all summer long. They could both bring a whole new dynamic to our offense but they have to start with getting stronger and biting a few nails this summer. Equal work on all three levels offensively.
Nika has to expand her game, She has to become a threat shooting the ball. Would like to see her get some drive penetration finish in her game and of course better 3 point shot.

This team will be scary next season.

Reaction Score
Maybe missing the point? DT's frosh season ended in 1-13 or something like that in the semi loss to ND. My comparison is that Fudd had a less than normal outing in the NC yesterday as she was sick, and it wasn't something she probably expected. So yes, I think she will come back stronger, smarter, and better as a sophomore. I was not comparing her to DT the GOAT, but what happened between F and So years. Sheesh.
Well said, BRS24.

As a freshman, Diana had considerably more assists than Azzi, but Azzi was much the better shooter. A comparison to Taurasi is fair... my point of contention would be that they're very different type players. (I'm also of the belief that Maya and/or Stewie are/is UConn's GOAT. I now that won't go over big here... LOL!)

Reaction Score
Well said, BRS24.

As a freshman, Diana had considerably more assists than Azzi, but Azzi was much the better shooter. A comparison to Taurasi is fair... my point of contention would be that they're very different type players. (I'm also of the belief that Maya and/or Stewie are/is UConn's GOAT. I now that won't go over big here... LOL!)
Maya and Stewie are it for me.

Reaction Score
I enjoy the speculation about the starting players next year. It is interesting to see how everyone can get into Geno's mind. One caution, having suffered from spinal inuries and severe nerve damage to he spine, do not expect too much from Aubrey. She will never be the same again. Maybe her youth will help, however, there may be limitations to her movement and mobility. So please, keep this as a consideration.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Wondering about others thoughts on this. Last season it seems Nika was much more involved in the offensive flow, she wasn't taking many shots but was constantly moving and set a great many picks in the flow of the offense, for Paige in particular. She also had the ball in her hands a lot more it seems and because of that had a lot more opportunities to make good passes for assists. This season (particularly after Paige's return) it seems she would often bring the ball up then perhaps cross over up top a time or two, exchange the ball and then head for the corner. She was then essentially not part of the ball movement for the rest of most possessions. She would move again when a shot went up and try to box out to pick up a rebound or tip the ball.

I don't think this change in her lack of being part of the flow on the offense side was a result of her reluctance to be engaged but rather by design from Geno/the coaching staff. If it had been the case that she was intentionally, of her own accord, repeatedly disengaging on the offensive end I think Geno would have had her on the bench in a New York minute! That wasn't the case though so it seemed she was doing what was being asked of her on that end of the court, Bring the ball up and let the rest of the team take it from there.

I get, many posters criticisms that Nika doesn't take and make enough shots, and understand that Geno doesn't want her to in many cases when there are much better options on the floor with her. I don't get that, by design, she doesn't seem to be part the flow on that end. The kid is not one to stand around and watch, she is more prone to perpetual motion, and once I first noticed this trend I watched her as she was planted in a corner during some offense sets. She reminded me of my dog when I was training her to sit and stay and you could see how much she just wanted to take off. I personally thought the flow on the offensive end last season with Nika actively engaged in ball movement, picks and just being in motion most of time better served the team on that end and I am not sure why that wasn't part of the game plan this season.
I think part of that was the push of Azzi as the primary scorer needing screens to get her shot off. If you compare Azzi to Caroline Caroline is constantly moving Azzi needs to improve there. Last night Kansas won the NC with a starting point guard that averaged less than 6, but was called on to play defense and get the offense going.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The off-season development of Amari & Piath will be critical next season for UConn. Neither has to earn a starting spot, but we observed yesterday how dominant a team with multiple Bigs can be in championship games.

if one or both UConn Bigs can develop to the point where they establish themselves as key reserves, UConn has a much better chance to battle teams like SC & Stanford for the championship next season.

Looking forward to Jamelle working her magic on Amari, Piath, Ice & Ayanna, to go along with Aaliyah, giving UConn a real chance at banner #12.
I have been missing the bigs getting magically better for a few years now. Maybe things will change.

Reaction Score
I think if Aubrey is healthy you start her and see how she works her way in or out

Paige
Azzi
Aubrey
Aaliyah
Dorka

There's a lot of moving parts to consider with a lineup and it depends how these players develop over the off season (especially Nika, Aubrey, and Carloline). I think this lineup gives you experience and rebounding which if you look at the other top teams next year and their size we're gonna need... Also allows you to bring Nika and Caroline in to give a different look on both sides of the ball while also making more similar switches for Paige and Azzi to rest (A PG for a PG and a W for a W). Andddd shifts towards a more post dominant line-up which suits our depth. I'm really interested to see what Piath and Amari look like in 7 months... I think out of the two recruits Ayanna will be able to have the most immediate impact, but Isuneh may surprise (you don't have to teach size and physicality). And then throw in a possible transfer or two and who knows...I just hope Geno finds a way to utilize all the size and athleticism he'll have on this roster, in the post. 3-5 positions you have...

6'1" Aubrey G/F
6'2" Caroline G/F
6'3"Ayanna F
6'3" Aaliyah F
6'4" Isuneh F
6'5" Amari F
6'5" Piath F
6'5" Dorka F

so use it!

You can X-out Piath and Amari from that list. They are just not going to play. It's quite clear that Coach Geno has no faith in them, nor intends for them to fulfill meaningful roles. If he did, he would have used them vastly differently than he did. Ice Brady is listed at 6'3", with Ayanna at 6'2". So we have one big post-size player in Dorka. Will Aubrey come back and play effectively as a small forward after major back surgery? We'll have to see....But we're not looking at a NPOY-type post player on this roster.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have been missing the bigs getting magically better for a few years now. Maybe things will change.
It’s not magic, just lots of hard work.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
It’s not magic, just lots of hard work.
You used the word magic. Is it bigs not improving year over year and during a year on the players, the coaches, both? Right now I see a older UConn coaching staff. Younger coaches have left and been replaced by older staff.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You can X-out Piath and Amari from that list. They are just not going to play. It's quite clear that Coach Geno has no faith in them, nor intends for them to fulfill meaningful roles. If he did, he would have used them vastly differently than he did. Ice Brady is listed at 6'3", with Ayanna at 6'2". So we have one big post-size player in Dorka. Will Aubrey come back and play effectively as a small forward after major back surgery? We'll have to see....But we're not looking at a NPOY-type post player on this roster.
I hope you are prepared to eat some crow next season. Amari almost certainly has the skill set to be a player. She needs to improve her conditioning and play with a better “motor”. Jamelle will see to it that Amari makes a sophomore leap.

Piath is certainly more of a project. But Geno has praised both Piath & Amari for their hard work this season and I am not prepared to dismiss her as a contributor just yet.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You used the word magic. Is it bigs not improving year over year and during a year on the players, the coaches, both? Right now I see a older UConn coaching staff. Younger coaches have left and been replaced by older staff.
Not sure what your point is?

Reaction Score
Geno is a poker player and knows not to discard face-cards (e.g. AD) early, particularly when you are not currently holding all that strong a hand.

Reaction Score
I haven`t delved into what the numbers say, but my sense is that both Caroline and Dorka play much better as starters. Dorka in particular would often be in too much in a hurry coming off the bench.

Nika should get 20-25 minutes. I love the way she plays. She has shown that she can impact the game coming off the bench. If the team gets off to a slow start in a particular game I would get her in early for someone. If the team is starting slow consistently, she would possibly find herself in the starting lineup. She should spend the summer working on her mid-range game, particularly getting proficient at pull up jumpers from around the foul line. Paige and Azzi have that shot down pat so she should learn from them.

We should add another one or two year player as a backup to Azzi. Meyers from Princeton perhaps? Scalia from Minnesota?

I think it unlikely Geno will add another big, given the current depth already in place.
Grad transfer!!!!

Reaction Score
Old dudes know stuff too

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Not sure what your point is?
Your words "Looking forward to Jamelle working her magic on Amari, Piath, Ice & Ayanna, to go along with Aaliyah, giving UConn a real chance at banner #12"

My point is I haven't seen any "magic" from the coaching staff pertaining to players making vast improvements in their games either during the year or year to year recently. If I missed someone I will listen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom