Questions for next season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Questions for next season

Reaction Score
Both teams made 22 baskets, we had one more from 3 than did SC. we were 1/4 from the line, they were 17/26, 21 fouls on UConn, just 11 on SC. SC was the better team and likely wins vs. anyone but it is sad to see that kind of gap and think the three best officials were really calling this game.
So was that 10 foul gap because they were faster and more physical that us, or was it just bad officiating?

Reaction Score
Not true.
Ya I think Azzi was a typical freshman and she showed flashes of everything. I was at the NC State game and was super impressed with her ability to drive off the dribble. She also used picks and drives well against Marquette. But in both SC games she struggled to find her shot. I know she wasn't healthy in either. I don't think improving her handle and ability to create shots would hurt, but I'm sure Geno's got a plan for her. I'm hoping she takes more responsibility as a point guard or ball handler. Azzi, Paige, and Nika should have the keys, full control of the offense and should push more often then not.

Reaction Score
I’m more excited to see it all unfold. The genius of Geno is so subtle, getting Amari minutes in last nights game was important for her development no matter how small she got to sniff the court in a national championship game, I think with her commitment to staying the summer to work on her game and the minutes she got last night play dividends into her having a great sophomore campaign. I also don’t see CD coming off the bench I think she’ll be an All-America next season so my lineup would be PB,Azzi,CD,Aaliyah,Dorka with Nika Aubrey being the first two subs in.
Agree with this line-up 100%. Get Caroline in action, she is going to get better and better.

Reaction Score
I see it too. The issue has always been her offense though and that is why you saw Azzi instead of her when Paige returned. She needs a good offensive trainer over the summer so she can develop a pull up jumper and finish moves on drives both right and left as well as quicker release on her 3s.
Maybe Pheesa knows someone who might be able to give Nika some help..:cool::D. if we can just get them together.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
My question is how is Paige going to be. It took a bit of watching certain games but I don't think Geno's system is a fit for Paiges style of playing. I think it limits her intangibles which is what makes her a great player. I hope and pray for her sake she gets at least 1 chip.

Reaction Score
My question is how is Paige going to be. It took a bit of watching certain games but I don't think Geno's system is a fit for Paiges style of playing. I think it limits her intangibles which is what makes her a great player. I hope and pray for her sake she gets at least 1 chip.
???????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huh? You mean he limited the freshman that was NPOY on a team with no other A/A's last year?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Receipts please. Would love to hear this viewpoint.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
???????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huh? You mean he limited the freshman that was NPOY on a team with no other A/A's last year?
NPOY notwithstanding Paige is the type of player who's offense works better in a free space. Geno's is very regimented. Yes she won Awards but it doesn't change the fact she is constrained in this offense. For example a number of times I would watch Paige ready to shoot but she pulls it back because she has to wait for a play to unfold which would throw off the shot sometimes. Then she gets yelled at for not waiting for the play when she most likely saw something that probably made her move earlier...isnt it said she has great court vision?

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Receipts please. Would love to hear this viewpoint.
Don't want to be accused of speculating. Let's just wait and see. What's that saying.."Winter is coming"

Reaction Score
Have not been able to understand Geno's reluctance play Caroline. While I see Azzi's value, Caroline is better able to create her own shot, as shown yesterday. She should be the starter with Azzi as 6th man.
Carolina has been off since her injury. I do not think it was anything she did, I think it is more or less a continuation from her concussions....

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Carolina has been off since her injury. I do not think it was anything she did, I think it is more or less a continuation from her concussions....
Coach Dailey stated that she did not have a concussion, it was they exercised caution because Caroline got hit in the head in three consecutive games and wanted to limit the chance of her getting any serious injuries like a concussion.

Reaction Score
NPOY notwithstanding Paige is the type of player who's offense works better in a free space. Geno's is very regimented. Yes she won Awards but it doesn't change the fact she is constrained in this offense. For example a number of times I would watch Paige ready to shoot but she pulls it back because she has to wait for a play to unfold which would throw off the shot sometimes. Then she gets yelled at for not waiting for the play when she most likely saw something that probably made her move earlier...isnt it said she has great court vision?
No she is not constrained one bit. Again she averaged over 20 as a freshman. Not even close to being constrained. If you want to say UCONN doesn't turn her into "Pistol Pete" and just have her play "Steve Nash" so she throws up most of the shots-- that means every other player does nothing but hang at 3 point line or set her picks. That isn't "constraining her" it's giving her teammates so she doesn't have to do everything.

When you say she pulls back waiting for play to unfold, when she gets tot he sideline Geno is yelling at her to shoot. That's what he gets mostly mad at. How often did we hear him say "I want Paige to shoot the ball?"

Reaction Score
Wondering about others thoughts on this. Last season it seems Nika was much more involved in the offensive flow, she wasn't taking many shots but was constantly moving and set a great many picks in the flow of the offense, for Paige in particular. She also had the ball in her hands a lot more it seems and because of that had a lot more opportunities to make good passes for assists. This season (particularly after Paige's return) it seems she would often bring the ball up then perhaps cross over up top a time or two, exchange the ball and then head for the corner. She was then essentially not part of the ball movement for the rest of most possessions. She would move again when a shot went up and try to box out to pick up a rebound or tip the ball.

I don't think this change in her lack of being part of the flow on the offense side was a result of her reluctance to be engaged but rather by design from Geno/the coaching staff. If it had been the case that she was intentionally, of her own accord, repeatedly disengaging on the offensive end I think Geno would have had her on the bench in a New York minute! That wasn't the case though so it seemed she was doing what was being asked of her on that end of the court, Bring the ball up and let the rest of the team take it from there.

I get, many posters criticisms that Nika doesn't take and make enough shots, and understand that Geno doesn't want her to in many cases when there are much better options on the floor with her. I don't get that, by design, she doesn't seem to be part the flow on that end. The kid is not one to stand around and watch, she is more prone to perpetual motion, and once I first noticed this trend I watched her as she was planted in a corner during some offense sets. She reminded me of my dog when I was training her to sit and stay and you could see how much she just wanted to take off. I personally thought the flow on the offensive end last season with Nika actively engaged in ball movement, picks and just being in motion most of time better served the team on that end and I am not sure why that wasn't part of the game plan this season.

Reaction Score
A point about Azzi. I think her foot injury was the most impactful after that of Paige. She lost a lot of game time and was still a freshman coming up to the Tourney. She is a great talent but does not have the flare Paige does and will have to work harder at being an all around guard and possible All American.
Agreed. What stuck out to me is how fundamentally sound she is. She doesn’t make a ton of mistakes (only a few) and knows how to play within a system. But like many freshman, she was victim to standing on the three point line hoping to get open. I think what made her so hyped is her shot. It’s so pure and could be one of the best shots ever. Her progression will be figuring out how to get herself more open looks, and how to create for others. She gets so much defensive attention that becoming a playmaker will be huge growth. When you look at her season stats, it’s staggering how few assists she had, but similarly how few turnovers. That to me indicates that she mostly played it safe when she wasn’t open for a shot. Caroline is by no means a big time facilitator, but had more assists in less total court time. I didn’t expect to see that.

I think Azzi is going to come back next season looking completely different. She’s one player im really confident will make a huge leap, and should be that consistent second option. It’s a shame she was saddled with that injury and then was sick for the title game.

Reaction Score
Nika's an ace on defense but I want her to improve her shooting from the floor and at the line, she'll be that much more effective.

Actually, IMO the entire team needs to work on FT shooting and also on eliminating turnovers, they gave Pepperidge Farm a run for its money on more than one occasion with their inability to protect the ball.
Help me out - I'm not getting the joke!

Reaction Score
Have not been able to understand Geno's reluctance play Caroline. While I see Azzi's value, Caroline is better able to create her own shot, as shown yesterday. She should be the starter with Azzi as 6th man.
Since CD came back from injury she has bene less efficient than the team and Azzi. Giving her the ball vs Azzi means less efficiency. Leading up to this SC Game after her injury, of the 12 games she took a shot form Xaver to NC State, her Efficiency fg% was 50% while hitting on just 25.8% of her 3's. While the team's Efficiency FG% was 57.06% and 37.2% from 3. In 9 of the 12 games in which CD took a shot- the UCONN team was more efficient than her.

While Azzi Fudd’s overall Efficiency FG% was slightly below team average but not much at 56.9% as she shot 40.58% from 3 in those same 12 games.

This highlights in a certain way, what you have heard all along from Geno and Chris D that Ducharme hasn't been the same since she came back. At least she isn't keeping up to the overall team efficiency.

So the only reason to play CD over Fudd is because of one-on-one basketball? For CD's better rebounding Fudd is a better passer. Otherwise Fudd is a more efficient offensive player. If next year it's shown that Fudd can't get off shots and UCONN is struggling to score then I can see Ducharme (actually I'd start them both.).

Other than that, UCONN winning all their titles and going to 14 consecutive final fours is not built to play one-on-one basketball.

Reaction Score
One point I do agree is Paige's playing style is a bit different in high school and college. I understand that she wants to be a good team player in college.

Reaction Score
Geno said on the presser that Caroline was impacted be the three consecutive games when she got bonked on the head and was then skittish about going to the basket. The finals were a departure from that. She played a strong game and banged with Boston. Too bad about getting blocked by Boston out on the perimeter that one time. I think the skittishness Geno saw was his reason for not playing her more. I imagine he must have seen some of that skittishness in practices.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
One point I do agree is Paige's playing style is a bit different in high school and college. I understand that she wants to be a good team player in college.
Thank you.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
NO TRAN
Huh? The read and react offense, with positionless basketball that allows players to move with and without the ball to find the player with the highest percentage shot? That “regimented” offense?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno said on the presser that Caroline was impacted be the three consecutive games when she got bonked on the head and was then skittish about going to the basket. The finals were a departure from that. She played a strong game and banged with Boston. Too bad about getting blocked by Boston out on the perimeter that one time. I think the skittishness Geno saw was his reason for not playing her more. I imagine he must have seen some of that skittishness in practices.
He said she was skittish about going into the lane because she worried about getting hit again. Totally understandable. She picked a good game to put that behind her

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom