Providence | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Providence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It just seems odd in an era of such parity, where a 16 seed can beat a 1 seed by 20 and a school like St. Peters can make a regional final that you're "certain" that Providence can't win an NCAA championship.
And I would amend that to say there's no rational reason to think Georgetown and Providence differ at all in this regard.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The people who cover this say Providence has competitive NIL, Nova was behind on this and is stepping everything up.

They were offering Cooley 4.5 million per year, they aren't just some little rinky dink regional operation.

Cooley was higher paid than Hurley when at Providence, and now it isnt even close

Reaction Score
Look at our opponent tonight. What the hell has Arkansas done since 1994 until Musselman came. Answer is nothing.

Musselman came to Arkansas one year AFTER Hurley. We are celebrating our return to the sweet 16 after 2 first round disappointments. Rightfully so that we are celebrating, Dan has done a great job I wouldn't trade him for anyone right now for our program. In that exact same period Musselman has 2 Elite 8's and a sweet 16.

Arkansas' last sweet 16 appearance before 2021 was 1996!!!

For the 13 years before Musselman came Arkansas qualified for the tournament 3 times.

They are a National title contender. Zero doubt about it.

So why can't providence with the right coach do something?
Yep. Creighton is most likely going to the elite 8 and they probably already would've gone to the elite 8 or final 4 if the tournament wasn't cancelled in the Covid year and who knows what would've happened in the tournament last year if Kalbrenner didn't get the season ending injury. As you point out in the other post Hurley is going to need to be paid more, as is McDermott. McDermott has been seriously underpaid for a while.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Providence is such a boring program that, while it has been fun, three days of mocking them is starting to get tedious. Moving on.

Reaction Score
Put me in the bucket of wondering why Georgetown is still thought of as a title-caliber program?

Thompson got an elite HOF player in Ewing. They won a title in what? 1983/84? Reggie Williams and Fred Brown were on the roster. Ralph Dalton. Not much else if I recall. From there, they again caught lightning in a bottle with Iverson who only stayed 2 years with a Sweet 16 and an Elite 8 on his resume from 94/95 to 95/96.

Other than that? Mutombo and Mourning? That program has been an also-ran for almost 20 years.
They had a brief resurgence in the late 2000s with Jeff Green and Roy Hibbert, including a Final Four, but basically yes.

Reaction Score
Well, if you want to look at the past 20 years, only 3 schools won their first national championship, so there's those odds. Most championships are won by previous champions

Reaction Score
Ed Cooleys attempt at a serious introduction to GTown media was actually sickening. It was political at best and very phony. ".....picture the net around your neck while enjoying one shining moment" LOL like you ever even came close at PC.

Sorry never dislikes the man, actually after Fairfield admittedly rooted a little for him. But the selling the home deal so early and the way his team played knowing is just plain rotten to kids that trusted him. Worst than Edsall, just awful exit.

Want to see PC kick his butt as much as I do UConn.

Reaction Score
In regards to PC. I foolishly felt bad for their fans on their chat line for what Judas Cooley did to them. It was truly horrific. They were destroyed. Hated to see that happen to any school and program. They actually stopped hating us and we are hated less than Georgetown :) Now that the shock has worn off and they are starting to recover the childish envy and hate is creeping back. I would think they have more concerns. Go Huskies! Beat those AR Hogs!!

Reaction Score
From a fan at the time (before UConn relevance), the championship team had David Wingate, another 15 year NBA veteran to go with Ewing, Dalton, Reggie Williams (14 yrs in the NBA), Billy Martin, and Michael Graham
Sure. David Wingate was a “fine” player. Went to Dunbar in their heyday, I believe. Thirty something years ago. Not good enough to still consider Georgetown a title destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom