Providence Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Providence Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
So the only difference is losing the player of the year but we gained the number 1 recruit in the country who hasn’t played in 2 months and an All Big 10 center that didn’t play tonight and they should be better?
They should be but they are not because they are missing Paige. And yes they should be playing better and as I said that Paige is really that good.

Reaction Score
Let's face it. This team is point guard challenged. Way to many turnovers seemingly every game. We do stupid things with the ball regularly. We should simplify things and work to create opportunities for the shooters more quickly. Many times we are 20 seconds in before we even think about shooting. We need to create a good shot almost every time within 18 seconds. There is no such thing as a pick and roll on this team it seems. It doesn't happen nearly enough since Paige has been gone.

Reaction Score
Looked at other women basketball scores tonight. #1 SCarolina (20-1) beat unranked Florida (15-6) by 62-50. #2 Stanford (16-3) at home beat #8 Arizona (15-3) by 75-69. #3 NCState (19-1) beat unranked NCarolina (16-4) by 66-58. #7 Louisville (18-2) at home beat #21 Duke (13-6) by 77-65. Of course, #10 UConn (13-4) beat unranked Providence (9-11) by 69-61. #12 LSU (18-4) at home beat unranked Kentucky (9-9) by 78-69. #14 Georgia Tech (17-4) beat unranked Clemson (7-14) by 69-62. #15 Georgia (16-4) beat 24 Old Miss (17-4) by 62-52. #15 Maryland (15-4) beat unranked Penn State (9-11) by 82-71. #19 Oregon (13-5)at home blew out unranked USC (9-9) by 80-48, and #20 Notre Dame (16-4) at home beat unranked Boston College (14-7) by 74-61.

So, like UConn, a number of other teams in top 20 only won by similar margins of victory against unranked teams (some of these unranked teams are probably better than Providence, but still).

Reaction Score
Let's face it. This team is point guard challenged. Way to many turnovers seemingly every game. We do stupid things with the ball regularly. We should simplify things and work to create opportunities for the shooters more quickly. Many times we are 20 seconds in before we even think about shooting. We need to create a good shot almost every time within 18 seconds. There is no such thing as a pick and roll on this team it seems. It doesn't happen nearly enough since Paige has been gone.
Well, that's coaching's job, but not having consistent line-up makes it a challenge. Still, other teams have had injuries and have had to change their line-ups too.

Reaction Score
Bad game tonight.

Another setback with an injury. Though possibly good to have this clunker before Creighton.

Don't understand all the dumb fouls being committed by UCONN in which their arms keep coming down on offensive players.

Liv just continues to amaze me how she just doesn't seem to learn in regards to one step forward, then one step back with just general basketball knowledge with those type of silly fouls and silly turnovers in the post with her dribbling.

It's okay. On to the next. Need Dorka to be okay.

The team desperately needs continuity.

Reaction Score
It looked to me that even Caroline was in Geno's doghouse tonight :(.
Turnovers and forcing. I know Geno gave her the green light but it’s a time where you have to know when to past and when to shoot. UConn needs a guard who can pass, penetrate and kick it out and the only one who can do that is hurt right now.

Reaction Score
So the only difference is losing the player of the year but we gained the number 1 recruit in the country who hasn’t played in 2 months and an All Big 10 center that didn’t play tonight and they should be better?
Against Providence?
HELL, YEAH!!!

Reaction Score
They should be but they are not because they are missing Paige. And yes they should be playing better and as I said that Paige is really that good.
You miss my point completely.

Reaction Score
Against Providence?
HELL, YEAH!!!
Why exactly, because of the name on the front of the uniforms? God forbid a team you have no respect for actually put up a fight in a game where Uconn doesn’t play well.
But really God forbid that the Uconn team dare not play well, talk about absurdly spoiled fans; they are human beings, not robots programmed to play to yours and others liking.
A season is a journey, with ups and downs; a very challenging one under the circumstances Uconn has had to endure this year. How about focusing on the play of Williams, coming off Covid, and especially Westbrook and Edwards who had been playing very unevenly, all 3 rose to the occasion in a game where the other four Uconn players they put on the court did not play especially well, obviously to varying degrees?
But no, we didn’t win by 40, so let‘s disrespect the opponent, and disparage the fact Providence gave us a game; one by the way I am sure very few thought really thought Uconn was going to lose.

Reaction Score
Why exactly, because of the name on the front of the uniforms? God forbid a team you have no respect for actually put up a fight in a game where Uconn doesn’t play well.
But really God forbid that the Uconn team dare not play well, talk about absurdly spoiled fans; they are human beings, not robots programmed to play to yours and others liking.
A season is a journey, with ups and downs; a very challenging one under the circumstances Uconn has had to endure this year. How about focusing on the play of Williams, coming off Covid, and especially Westbrook and Edwards who had been playing very unevenly, all 3 rose to the occasion in a game where the other four Uconn players they put on the court did not play especially well, obviously to varying degrees?
But no, we didn’t win by 40, so let‘s disrespect the opponent, and disparage the fact Providence gave us a game; one by the way I am sure very few thought really thought Uconn was going to lose.
Very simple:
Effort-check
Execution—nope
Concentration-nope
You wanna look at the line score and see mission accomplished?
I’ll have to agree with Coach- “This team doesn’t listen.”
Sorry to say I think he’s losing them.
Not looking anything like a top 4 seed tonight.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This actually was my main takeaway from this game. All the seniors stepped up and AE played a great game as well. As much as the underclassmen are budding stars that will probably need to carry the team in the postseason, it's cool to know that when they don't have it, seniors will play like seniors.
I am rooting big time for Evina but she didn’t step up last night. Yes, she took and made some good shots but she stalled the offense several times. She picked up the ball 10’ from the top of the arc and stood there for 5 seconds without passing or moving. In that time, the defense set up and then the Huskies had a harder time cutting and finding an open player. Meg Culmo said about 50 times that Geno wants an uptempo game but Evina stopped the offensive flow by stopping the movement of the ball. It was maddening.

On another play, Christyn was trapped by two players on the sideline and Evina didn’t go get the ball. No one did, actually, but on the replay you can see her standing there watching Christyn trying to find someone to pass to. Result - turnover.

I do wonder if she had Covid or maybe a lingering injury because she’s moving cautiously this year. Her energy level seems low as though she’s tired (I can relate). I hope she’s OK because the team really needs her and she’s shown many times that she can be vital to the team.

Reaction Score
Very simple:
Effort-check
Execution—nope
Concentration-nope
You wanna look at the line score and see mission accomplished?
I’ll have to agree with Coach- “This team doesn’t listen.”
Sorry to say I think he’s losing them.
Not looking anything like a top 4 seed tonight.
You wanna understand sports and realize that teams play up and down over the course of the season and judging them game to game makes absolutely no sense? Cause let me fill you in on something, if Uconn is ready by tournament time, their seeding is largely irrelevant. And guess what, if they are not their seeding is largely irrelevant. And nothing could be more irrelevant than the seed they looked like last night.
Auriemma talks coach speak, uses interviews to send messages, always has, always will. IMO, he is not losing anything, he is trying to prepare his team to be ready in March like he always does. He tears them down and builds them up every year, every single year.

Reaction Score
Totally agree! We are operating at too much of a slow pace with too many nothing passes along the sidelines. The guards need to penetrate a bit. It looks like we are doing an open practice. EW is busy pointing positions before passing the half court. Rinse, repeat, rinse repeat. This team is not having fun. Are some on-court players turning out?

There needs to be more serious creativeness. We are an easy read with our slow pace. This allows double and triple teams to set up. Is this a coaching problem?
Credit to Providence, they had a game plan, early double teams, traps that we willingly drove into, poor reads on our part and failure to see opportunity with cuts and excellent down low position. This wares on players working to get this position thus a loss of confidence. Providence reversed rolls with us, they were much the aggressor, and we didn't respond well. though early in the second half we did get some steals. We then turned the ball back-over without scoring. Empty opportunities have added up for this team. The many missed early foul shots also don't help. We can do much better, the team needs to revisit the Huskies of old, where is our DNA?

It was a win. This is an opportunity to see game film and have teaching moments. There have been many in recent games.

Reaction Score
You wanna understand sports and realize that teams play up and down over the course of the season and judging them game to game makes absolutely no sense? Cause let me fill you in on something, if Uconn is ready by tournament time, their seeding is largely irrelevant. And guess what, if they are not their seeding is largely irrelevant. And nothing could be more irrelevant than the seed they looked like last night.
Auriemma talks coach speak, uses interviews to send messages, always has, always will. IMO, he is not losing anything, he is trying to prepare his team to be ready in March like he always does. He tears them down and builds them up every year, every single year.
If, If, If, If.......
“Were If’s and But’s candy and nuts, Oh what a party we’d have”.
Many in the game chat room comment on the lack of enjoyment, energy and motion this team displays.
Not just me.
What am I to believe- what you tell me, or my lying eyes?
I have been on teams when this lethargy hits.
The solution?
“Have a seat.”

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Its watching games like last night I wonder is this really a Final Four team? The answer so far is a resounding NO. Last night this team looked like they would be one and done in the tournament. There is no way a team with Providence' talent should play a competitive game against this UConn team even with Paige and Dorka not playing. They were lifeless and Providence out hustled and physically dominated UConn with their double teams on defense. Yes, a win is a win and many teams playing the way UConn did might have lost the game. However IMO there no excuse for the team to play the way they did. They better play better against Creighton.

Reaction Score
Caroline, as I posted in another thread, was playing for her family and friends and not for her team. That could be somewhat expected if she were an immature freshman, but she's not. She played totally out-of-control and it put her on the bench and into Geno's doghouse. I've been one of her biggest supporters and have forgiven all those rushed 3s (even made excuses for them) ... but no more! I know she can shoot 'em, but she must wait until she's open enough to relax and calmly set her feet, square her shoulders and shoot in rhythm. If she doesn't do that none of them are ever going in.

Azzi hit one shot, 1-6 and 2-2 from the free throw line in 29 minutes. Hardly a stellar performance based upon her first game back which was excellent.

Nika was a total wash out in this game. Scored 1 pt, had 1 assist, 2 turnovers, 2 fouls in 18 minutes. She also landed in Geno's doghouse.

Reaction Score
Geno sees a tough kid. He also looks around and says---who else? He uses all his other available guards and she is the least problem. Evinia who at times is good at times isn't. Nika is fast, tough, at times good at times isn't. His bench isn't as good. So where does he go if he doesn't use Evina or Nika? No where to go. You dance with the ladies you brought to the dance or you don' dance at all.

I am rooting big time for Evina but she didn’t step up last night. Yes, she took and made some good shots but she stalled the offense several times. She picked up the ball 10’ from the top of the arc and stood there for 5 seconds without passing or moving. In that time, the defense set up and then the Huskies had a harder time cutting and finding an open player. Meg Culmo said about 50 times that Geno wants an uptempo game but Evina stopped the offensive flow by stopping the movement of the ball. It was maddening.

On another play, Christyn was trapped by two players on the sideline and Evina didn’t go get the ball. No one did, actually, but on the replay you can see her standing there watching Christyn trying to find someone to pass to. Result - turnover.

I do wonder if she had Covid or maybe a lingering injury because she’s moving cautiously this year. Her energy level seems low as though she’s tired (I can relate). I hope she’s OK because the team really needs her and she’s shown many times that she can be vital to the team.
My theory is that Evina is fighting off an injury or other issue and gutting it out for the team. She is a half-step slower than the beginning of the year and has noticeably less energy.
Regarding Nika, I have a similar thought regarding an injury. Its not just her offensive skills that have declined, but her defense has been average at best. While she was always a physical player, she is grabbing and holding on every defensive play. Sort of like a football cornerback who knows they were beaten by the wide receiver and hangs on, hoping the ref misses the foul.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Looked at other women basketball scores tonight. #1 SCarolina (20-1) beat unranked Florida (15-6) by 62-50. #2 Stanford (16-3) at home beat #8 Arizona (15-3) by 75-69. #3 NCState (19-1) beat unranked NCarolina (16-4) by 66-58. #7 Louisville (18-2) at home beat #21 Duke (13-6) by 77-65. Of course, #10 UConn (13-4) beat unranked Providence (9-11) by 69-61. #12 LSU (18-4) at home beat unranked Kentucky (9-9) by 78-69. #14 Georgia Tech (17-4) beat unranked Clemson (7-14) by 69-62. #15 Georgia (16-4) beat 24 Old Miss (17-4) by 62-52. #15 Maryland (15-4) beat unranked Penn State (9-11) by 82-71. #19 Oregon (13-5)at home blew out unranked USC (9-9) by 80-48, and #20 Notre Dame (16-4) at home beat unranked Boston College (14-7) by 74-61.

So, like UConn, a number of other teams in top 20 only won by similar margins of victory against unranked teams (some of these unranked teams are probably better than Providence, but still).
This is a relevant point that can not be overstated. A lot of ranked teams have been struggling to score all season, even against unranked teams. If you look at SC, they are a team that wins games with tough defense and overwhelming size and rebounding. There is nothing particularly sophisticated about their offensive sets.

In yesterday’s game against unranked FL, the Gamecocks shot 35% while committing 21 turnovers. SC won the game because of a 2 to 1 rebounding advantage, 56 to 28. Imagine the criticism on the BY had UConn won in similar fashion. Actually, I guess we don’t really need to imagine it. ;)

Reaction Score
I read every post here, and if I didn't see the game, you would think we lost the game.
We were up 10-14 for most of the game, and they cut it to 8 late ( for their moral victory) but it gives most of this board anxiety.
My main take away watching this game , along with lots of women's basketball yesterday, is that the half -court offense we run is really not suited for the players we have. We basically run two sets, bigs on top looking for back cuts and picks or bigs down low where we dump it in for them to make a move or pass to an open player for a three.
Why is doesn't work for us? I think yesterday I saw 5/6 times our players did back cuts in the lane and were wide open but never got a pass? Our bigs really are not good passers, nor good outside shooters, so the other teams can play off them, clogging the lane and deflecting passes.
And when they get it down low, they rarely pass out of the double teams, they turn it over or miss shots badly.
I was waiting for Fudd to do her thing and I think she barely touched the ball in the first half. Give her the ball and get out of her way, magic will then happen. Did Providence have anyone that could stop CW yesterday....same thing, give her the ball, etc.
Lastly, the worst thing a shooter can do is stop shooting, we have seen that with EW, she misses her first few shots and she disappears the rest of the game. CD misses her first three shots and doesn't hang her head, she goes out and makes 5/10 to contribute.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom