Providence Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Providence Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
The ability to hit a cutter is a skill that’s learned by doing over and over in practice or games. For the better part of a month Azzi wasn’t a part of practice. As for Aaliyah, I don’t believe she’s particularly confident in her ability to hit cutting or posting teammates.

There is usually a narrow window of opportunity to hit a cutting teammate that requires great timing and touch to execute. Paige is one of the best I’ve ever seen. Players like Lou, Gabby and others were also exceptionally good at hitting cutting teammates.

I am reminded of two plays in succession in last night’s game where Nika tried to hit a cutting teammate. On the first she threw the pass directly to a Providence defender. The next time down the court she forced a pass to Aaliyah. The pass never should have been attempted. But somehow Aaliyah managed to come up with the ball and score. It was Nika’s only assist for the game.

Absent Paige, this is not a great passing team. UConn’s second best passer is Liv, who is also UConn’s best low post scoring threat. Maybe Geno can figure out a way to have Liv feed herself in the post? ;)
After last night's game, your humor is appreciated and does point to a possible enhancement to the UConn offense. Instead of just looking for high/low passing, no reason that ONO and Aaliyah can't be both used down low on each side of the lane. Aaliyah setting one of her solid picks on ONO's defender would free her up and could eliminate some of the double teams since both would have big targets to pass to. This would not be my preferred tactic the entire game, but once and a while, similar to the back door cut, could free up the bigs from being overplayed.

Reaction Score
That signal from Geno is not to speed up the play. It is a signal to reset the play and start the motion offense aka pass to top, cut through the lane, reverse the ball if necessary. It is designed to make sure everyone is on the same page, gets a touch of the basketball , and determine how the defense is playing. The last thing you want to do in that situation is speed up the play because that exactly what the defense wants you to do and exactly what UCONN did wrong many times last night. The cutters were also open all night and UCONN missed most of them .
Perhaps your right but we often see that motion late in the shot clock that has not been our friend this year due to our own pace.

Reaction Score
Azzi is not a perfect point guard option but if you look at her game, offensively, she can curl around a screen at the elbow and shoot the pull up. She's at least careful with the ball and doesn't have a loot of turnovers. She would be better than our other non Paige options. We keep thinking she's a shooting guard but historically she has had the ball in her hands a lot growing up.

Reaction Score
doesn't help that the next game is at Creighton. Going on a midweek to Omaha is a pain in the butt, can't tell you how many good teams in the Big East go there and lose and not lose close but badly. I don't know much about the wbb of Creighton tho.

Reaction Score
[Azzi] would be better than our other non Paige options

I don't think there's anything more demoralizing to a premier high school point guard with tools not quite up to elite college levels than being pushed into that spotlight and being embarrassed. Geno knows this. He has alternatives ... and better roles for Azzi to excel at.

Reaction Score
After last night's game, your humor is appreciated and does point to a possible enhancement to the UConn offense. Instead of just looking for high/low passing, no reason that ONO and Aaliyah can't be both used down low on each side of the lane. Aaliyah setting one of her solid picks on ONO's defender would free her up and could eliminate some of the double teams since both would have big targets to pass to. This would not be my preferred tactic the entire game, but once and a while, similar to the back door cut, could free up the bigs from being overplayed.
Great idea but when the post comes open, the pass would be 2 seconds late and never get there. ;)

Reaction Score
It was pretty bad!
Did you watch the game?
Every UCONN player besides Azzi committed 2 or more turnovers & committed 2 or more personal fouls.
Coco, pretty dumb question. I would have thought you were better than that.
I'll stand my contention that their play was disjointed at times but the game was not a clunker for the reasons I cited.

Reaction Score
I don't think there's anything more demoralizing to a premier high school point guard with tools not quite up to elite college levels than being pushed into that spotlight and being embarrassed. Geno knows this. He has alternatives ... and better roles for Azzi to excel at.
Well, we have tried several wrenches on this problem. They worked with veering degrees of success. I'm not talking about making this change permanent, just an option. Azzi did handle the ball well yesterday. Look at how well CD has worked out and she is a freshman. Many players today are positionless and have already booked many years of top level competition. The game is the game, hoop same height. She has also had the benefit of watching from the bench next to Beckuers. Freshmen today are not the same level of 10 years ago.

Reaction Score
You’re right that the UConn offensive stats aren’t bad, actually pretty good. But they are misleading because of the number of possessions they give away with the turnovers and the extra ones they give the opposition because of the dumb fouls. If UConn has those stats on a dozen or more possessions then the game isn’t close.
No argument on the turnovers and I'll even add that there could have been more hustle on 50-50 balls but I am not going to flush the game and call it a clunker.
Again, a win and up by 17 in a low-scoring game with 3 minutes means defense and other things were working.
Now Kansas City's game against Cincinnati yesterday, on the other hand, was a clunker.

Reaction Score
Totally agree! We are operating at too much of a slow pace with too many nothing passes along the sidelines. The guards need to penetrate a bit. It looks like we are doing an open practice. EW is busy pointing positions before passing the half court. Rinse, repeat, rinse repeat. This team is not having fun. Are some on-court players turning out?

There needs to be more serious creativeness. We are an easy read with our slow pace. This allows double and triple teams to set up. Is this a coaching problem?
Credit to Providence, they had a game plan, early double teams, traps that we willingly drove into, poor reads on our part and failure to see opportunity with cuts and excellent down low position. This wares on players working to get this position thus a loss of confidence. Providence reversed rolls with us, they were much the aggressor, and we didn't respond well. though early in the second half we did get some steals. We then turned the ball back-over without scoring. Empty opportunities have added up for this team. The many missed early foul shots also don't help. We can do much better, the team needs to revisit the Huskies of old, where is our DNA?

It was a win. This is an opportunity to see game film and have teaching moments. There have been many in recent games.
Besides 'picking up their dribble' all too often, our point guards spend too much time 'pointing out' where the players should be on the court. If out players don't know where to go, this late in the season, give them a 'stout reprimand' after benching them and, mebbe, a cup of coffee, eh?

Reaction Score
Azzi played a lot of basketball for USA basketball and AAU out the wazoo. Both her parents were coaches. She was the #1 recruit. It's not like throwing her to the wolves and she is used to having the ball in her hands. In some ways she is like Rory Harmon of Texas. She can curl around a screen and pull up a jumper. She shoots well from the top of the key. It's all relative. Players have ups and downs and few are only a point guard or only a shooting guard.

Is Caitlan Clark a point guard or a shooting guard? BTW, Caitlan is currently shooting 3's at a 27% rate and shooting around 44% overall. Olivia Miles is shooting 3's at a 25% rate and 46% overall. The difference between Olivia and Caroline vs. Caitlan is that Caitlan averages 19 shots per game. Caroline is averaging 11 shots per game and far fewer 3 point attempts even though she is shooting them at a higher percentage than Caitlan. Big difference. They are all hybrids to a degree.

Azzi is more suited to the point in several ways as compared to anyone else we have. Nika is a natural point but the talent level is not comparable. We need to assimilate Azzi to the college game asap and maximize her growth. Put the ball in her hands asap. When a player has the ball in their hands a lot it makes it easier to put up big numbers and you want the ball in the hands of players who can take care of it and put up efficient numbers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thank you for saying this. This Board needs some Lithium for as bi-polar as it is. If folks don't like watching the game because "it's just too ugly" then don't watch it. These women don't need fans who are going to go after them when they are down and only celebrate them when they are up, which is what a lot of y'all do.
You and many others here on the board are focusing on what you perceive others are meaning. It isn't really about winning or losing (or our team being "down") it is about things we can control and the expectations of performance from experienced players (the seniors). Most of us are/became UConn fans because of the relentless effort that the team exhibited, their basketball skills, their desire to be the best, their extreme fitness levels - the winning came (mostly) because they added these things to their skills.

Many of the fans on here are truly "fanatic" in their support of the team - which is great, but it also doesn't include realism about where the team is at now and makes people justify things they shouldn't from the team.

Reaction Score
Azzi played a lot of basketball for USA basketball and AAU out the wazoo. Both her parents were coaches. She was the #1 recruit. It's not like throwing her to the wolves and she is used to having the ball in her hands. In some ways she is like Rory Harmon of Texas. She can curl around a screen and pull up a jumper. She shoots well from the top of the key. It's all relative. Players have ups and downs and few are only a point guard or only a shooting guard.

Is Caitlan Clark a point guard or a shooting guard? BTW, Caitlan is currently shooting 3's at a 27% rate and shooting around 44% overall. Olivia Miles is shooting 3's at a 25% rate and 46% overall. The difference between Olivia and Caroline vs. Caitlan is that Caitlan averages 19 shots per game. Caroline is averaging 11 shots per game and far fewer 3 point attempts even though she is shooting them at a higher percentage than Caitlan. Big difference. They are all hybrids to a degree.

Azzi is more suited to the point in several ways as compared to anyone else we have. Nika is a natural point but the talent level is not comparable. We need to assimilate Azzi to the college game asap and maximize her growth. Put the ball in her hands asap. When a player has the ball in their hands a lot it makes it easier to put up big numbers and you want the ball in the hands of players who can take care of it and put up efficient numbers.
I'm curious, are you of the opinion that Azzi would be a better point guard than Paige?

Reaction Score
This game obviously wasn't pretty but a win is a win. Onward and upward. Im interested in the Azzi point guard narrative others have indicated. The offense was being ran on the opposite side of the floor from Azzi a lot and she needs more screens, touches and action if at anything to be a decoy. Seems like defenses are more aware of Azzi than her team is getting her involved. But she needs to move non-stop.

Caroline will be fine, think this was one of those lull games after a sublime performance at Depaul.

The fouls against the posts is such an issue

Evina knocked in some threes which is great and played great d but she doesn't push the ball and they need a floor runner to playmake in transition. A guard who can get paint touches and force the defense to shift is so key.

All in all, a win but some areas to improve

Reaction Score
Evina knocked in some threes which is great and played great d but she doesn't push the ball and they need a floor runner to playmake in transition. A guard who can get paint touches and force the defense to shift is so key.

I agree 100%, Evina seems to be overthinking things. The constant pointing is not helpful and she walks it up which allows the other team to set up on defense. This game should have been a continuance of the good things that they did in the Depaul game. As others have mentioned Dorka and Caroline seem to have a nice chemistry going and she can hit CD when she cuts....she even hit Azzi last game. Hopeful she doesn't miss too much time.

sun

Reaction Score
I'm curious, are you of the opinion that Azzi would be a better point guard than Paige?
I doubt that anyone is trying to say that Azzi is a better PG than Paige.
But Paige isn't playing and Paige will always need a back up in addition to only Nika & Evina.
Whether Azzi becomes a PG or not, she has great ball handling skills.
IIRC she dribbled behind her back while driving forward against the Friars.
Did you notice that?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I haven't read the entire thread yet so perhaps this has been covered but this game, like most this season, was about rebounding and turnovers. UConn's deficiencies in those areas let Providence get 11 more FG attempts with the FT's being equal.

Using points per shot attempt and making the shot attempts even extrapolates to a UConn win of between 20-25 points.

If somehow UConn was really good in those areas and flipped the FGA difference to + 11 the extrapolated spread would've been UConn +36.5.

Those aren't the only two issues keeping this team from being elite, but they are the biggest ones: rebounding and the ability to pass and execute without turnovers.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You’re right that the UConn offensive stats aren’t bad, actually pretty good. But they are misleading because of the number of possessions they give away with the turnovers and the extra ones they give the opposition because of the dumb fouls. If UConn has those stats on a dozen or more possessions then the game isn’t close.

I see it has been covered to an extent. Just don't forget about rebounds.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is projecting Azzi as a better point guard than Paige but I think she might be better than anyone else we have currently and most of all, I want to give her as many reps as possible before the NC, within reason healthwise. We need every drop of what Azzi can be this year and if she has 30 minutes of PT until the NC and has the opportunity to create her own shots some I'm all for it. As I mentioned earlier, Caitlan Clark is shooting around 45% overall and 27% from the 3 point line. The difference is she's throwing up 19 shots a game. Let's see what Azzi can do with 15. Let's see what Azzi can do if we set some picks for her at the top of the key. The highest percentage 3 point opportunity should be at the top of the key. Put the ball in our best shooter's hands. We are maybe too complicated with our plays. Sometimes just a simple pick can free up a good player to make solid decisions and create scoring opportunities, just as Paige did when she was available.

Reaction Score
For the record, I don't project Azzi to be better than Caroline and never have, and that's the truth. Of course she may be but I'm not expecting it. I hope they are both fantastic.

Reaction Score
Please see several above posts regarding Azzi handling, for some minutes, the point guard duties. She seems strong with the ball, light on her feet, great court awareness and is a shooting threat. Hope Geno tries this combo. Other coaches with have to change their defensive postures.
I have read that recurring theme, but I think that is more of a "throw things at the wall and see if it sticks" mentality. Azzi seems to have a good handle, but keep in mind she is averaging 1 assist per 40 minutes. Seems like a stretch to assume a player whose seen the least amount of court time of anyone is the answer to running our offense. I'd guess there are still parts of the offense she is learning.

I can't seem to shake her bad inbounds pass during a pressure moment, allowing Depaul back into the game. Yes it was just one bad play, but shows that she isn't immune to bad decisions. We have such a small sample size on her, but from what we do have, I'm not sure running the point is the best use for her. IMO, they need to make a concerted effort to run her off screens and get her open. Her shot is her best asset at this time.

Last night was a subpar game. I don't think one game, which was still a win, warrants a complete restructure of the team. Just my personal opinion.

Reaction Score
During my several decades as a UCONN fan, I have witnessed several games where the team did not play up to their high standards against inferior competition. But I was always confident that they would shut down the opponent's best player, assuring a victory.
This season, the opponent's highest scorer has scorched the Huskies, scoring & rebounding at will. I'm not sure if it is lack of intensity, focus, or talent, but these potential blowouts turn into unnecessary nail-biters. They must develop the killer instinct to be successful.
Our shut-down defender is Griffin. She has the quickness, size, ball hawking and determination that is missing i order to shut down the opponent's best player.
Another issue is that some of our players don't close on the ballhandler when she picks-up her dribble. If we do it, that creates the possibility for more steals or errant passes from said player. Seems like both our steals and blocks have fallen a lot recently, some from concern over possible fouls in a tightly called game. Our bench is getting deeper so perhaps that will improve going forward.

Several other factors are the 5th yr of eligibility and more easy transfer ability for talent to move into the most competitive teams. Dorka is an example. Perhaps somebody could do an analysis of transfers that are now starting in the top ten women's and men's teams. It would be interesting when also added to the 5th yr players on such teams. This added experience and selection process for team fit for 5th yr players may result in having more close games and up-sets. It is harder for newcomers to break into these line-ups.

Reaction Score
I haven't read the entire thread yet so perhaps this has been covered but this game, like most this season, was about rebounding and turnovers. UConn's deficiencies in those areas let Providence get 11 more FG attempts with the FT's being equal.

Using points per shot attempt and making the shot attempts even extrapolates to a UConn win of between 20-25 points.

If somehow UConn was really good in those areas and flipped the FGA difference to + 11 the extrapolated spread would've been UConn +36.5.

Those aren't the only two issues keeping this team from being elite, but they are the biggest ones: rebounding and the ability to pass and execute without turnovers.
This post is really important. Our rebounding isn't terrible, but isn't necessarily going to produce extra opportunities for us. Meaning, we will likely give up as many offensive rebounds as we get. But the turnovers are a huge issue. They are coming from all 5 positions, so it's not just a quick fix of swapping out who plays pg. It's getting the ball to people in places to be successful. Knowing when to pass vs drive. Knowing when to pass out of a double team, etc. etc.

We may have won our last two games, but both Depaul and Providence got more than 10 extra FGA. Playing that way forces you to rely heavily on being more efficient, making more 3's, or knocking down FTs. We all know where we stand shooting wise, both from the outside and the charity stripe.

Reaction Score
I disagree with your calling this game a clunker. There was a lot to like considering they were missing Dorka, no practice the day before and having to take a bus ride there on game day. UCONN's play might have seemed a little disjointed at times but credit Providence's good team defense. Yet, the line for UCONN was not bad:
54.3%33.3%72.2%
UCONN still brought their defensive game to limit Providence to:
38.6%22.2%72.2%
How bad could it have been in a low-scoring game if UCONN was up by 17 with 3 minutes to go?
Well we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I didn't see a thread started with Geno's presser but here it is. He cites the very thing you do about 54%. That's the very first question he takes. He immediately dismisses the performance of 54% when he says he wasn't pleased. He followed up that with "I wasn't pleased about anything the way we played." He then followed up saying he thought Providence was much better than UCONN. A sub-.500 Big East team better than his team.

He goes on to say the only reason UCONN won is because they have a bunch of H/S All-Americans and that UCONN only won because they recruit better. He's not praising his UCON team; Isn't he slamming it? Then about the 4th question he took he was asked about his team's effort. He called it lousy. He repeated the word lousy 4 times with that 1 question.

SO in summary (1) he says there was nothing that he liked. (2) He then said Providence with no H/S All_Americans played better than UCONN (basically saying they only won because of talent), (3) then asked about his team's effort he called it lousy (4 times with 1 question) and with all this you don't define this as a clunker?

Well - we agree to disagree if you don't. And I usually don't post negative. I'm usually defending Geno a ton and the UCONN program a lot. Hey they are human beings. And also not pros. They can have an occasional clunker.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom