Providence Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Providence Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
If there is such a thing as a "bad win", this game qualifies for it. Outhustled the entire game. I just don't see Olivia as a first round WNBA pick. Other than a few buckets late in the game, she did nothing, and her defense was atrocious. Just a poor overall effort by most, although Edwards did look a lot better.

Reaction Score
Holy smokes! This was a grinder of a game. Happy for Aaliyah. She had a pretty decent game. Those 5 dimes were solid. C-Dub had her best game shooting wise. Pretty efficient night for her. Same with Evina. Pretty efficient shooting night. This wasn't a pretty game. But a win is a win. Great work, ladies.

Reaction Score
The not ready for PrimeTime players continue their yo-yo season. Thank you E for helping with scoring today. Wish you looked like were having fun doing it. Thank you Christyn. That new doo has really helped. Caroline work on your handle and decision making. Olivia, I thought you stopped swatting down?

Reaction Score
More often than not- waiting for SOMEONE ELSE to make a play.
Should have had Sufficient lead to give Piath and Amari minutes.
But noooo.
Time to sit (periodically) players that lack effort and seem “ somewhere” else.
Ya drop a game, ya drop a game.
Do something to get their attention.,,

Reaction Score
Few thoughts:
* a real blah game...we'll take the win but this game is not one anyone on UConn will remember fondly....
*UConn made Crooms look like an AA...
* UConn continues to lose the 50/50 balls and that is about effort and wanting the ball more than the opponent and maybe the UConn players don't want it enough
*CW had a good gam and AE had her best game in a while. Everyone else will want to forget this game as soon as possible.
*Why after 4 years, ONO still tries to dribble when she gets the ball under the basket instead of jut turning and shooting???
*why after 4 year, ONO still does those tomahawk chops while trying to block a ball???
*This was a first game in a while that CD looked like a freshmen.
*Hopefully they can put this game behind them and play (much) better against Creighton as this will just not do on Wed. if they want to win.
*Are the gods of basketball not happy with UConn? there is always something with DJ injury the latest...

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Providence game:
  • So the game time and arena was changed, UConn couldn’t practice yesterday due to the snowstorm, Dorka is out with an injury, the bus breaks down and the Huskies struggle to score for much of the game. Perhaps Geno should change his name to Abraham.
  • On the plus side, UConn held Providence to 23 pts in the first half on 29% shooting, while shooting 54%, themselves, building a 13-pt lead at the half. The second half was a grind, with the Huskies ultimately winning an ugly game by 8 points.
  • Christyn continues to step up on offense and make BIG plays. At the same time, Christyn and UConn had their hands full trying to contain Janai Crooms, the prodigal basketball player from R.I. who has made stops at tOSU and MSU before returning home to Providence.
  • I thought Evina and Aaliyah both gave the Huskies some very important minutes in tonight’s game, particularly with Caroline & Azzi struggling at times against Providence.
  • Every time the Huskies lose a key player, the primary challenge for the team and coaches is to maintain some semblance of continuity. This season has been and will continue to be a roller coaster. Hang on Husky fans. This can't go on forever. Can it? :confused:
Good Positive analysis. I don't see it as that great. This was after all Providence. Uconn just doesn't handle pressure well. Doesn't handle double teams well. Passes into traffic too of ten. Geno said he needs more offense from more people, maybe, but he needs better pressure ball handling when calls are not going your way.

It must be just me but I seem to have a different view of many of the calls made on both ends of the court. In the former Uconn life when a defensive player was set, not moving, and the offensive moves into her the defense got the call and when a defensive player is moving latterly it didn't go to the defense. Also, some things were called incidental contact. When a player fell down Refs didn't say the player 3 ft from her fouled her. I was very pleased when Geno called out the ref--and immediately got the next call his way. The Prov coach was doing that all game. A new way of calling fouls? You acquiesce to the loudest coach. --boy am I out of touch with the new game..

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I wondered if the team looked at Providence’s win-loss record before the game and maybe thought it would be an easy win. I hope not.

I was glad to see a version of Aaliyah that I recognized. An excellent step forward and a bright spot in an otherwise disappointing game, along with another terrific effort from Christyn

Reaction Score
The gloom and doom on the rest of the season may be just a tad overstated; it was a poor game. They won, take it and move on. You string together bad games, you start to worry.
Getting too high or too low game to game just isn’t the way to go. The aim is to be playing well in March especially with the adversity this team has faced.

Reaction Score
when the rankings come out and UConn is "only" ranked eleventh we get complaints here about that lowly ranking and about other teams being overrated, yet after a game like this against an average basketball team, UConn is said to be almost an embarrassment and may very well lose to Creighton.........well which is it?........:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just an ugly game. Caroline's human just when she was beginning to be canonized. I wonder if there was a correlation? We expect her to be superhuman and even Lebron James has a bad game sometimes. That stupid traveling call has got to go next year. What a waste of time. It really does hurt the game.

Maybe CW's best game of the year. Liv and AE were decent. At least Azzi made zero turnovers. I'll take that and expect the shooting to be better later. Somehow we still shot 53% overall and we needed to shoot 53% to win. What's going to happen against a good team? Nothing good it seems.

Dorka does rebound and she does contribute some points. Some of our options to replace her do neither. Not talking about AE or Liv. We gave Evina and AE more PT today and maybe it will help their game going forward. We need Dorka's rebounds though and especially the offensive rebounds. When our shooters miss she grabs 3 of them and that's maybe 2 possessions we kept that we wouldn't have. I've noticed also that Dorka does a lot to help her teammates setting screens and passing to Caroline when others do not seem to want to. We are clearly a better team with Dorka.

It was one of those games where it was a struggle just to get there. Write it off.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We had 4 players in double figures and Christyn is playing much better with alot of energy. Edwards and Evina looked much improved. We shot 54% from the floor 33% from 3 and 72% at the line. Pretty good numbers The problem is we had another different lineup tonite once again. Dorka was out. Liv and Azzi sat quite a bit which didnt help either. We can not develop chemistry continuity and confidence with key players out and not playing together. We are not playing with energy although we did against DePaul. We were also playing a faster paced game at Depaul. We need to get healthy and have a lineup that plays together for at least 10 games preferably 15 games to gain the cohesion and chemistry they need to execute and play as a team. Caroline at 6'2 and the way she plays is tuff to guard. Shes tall with alot of confidence and just a tuff matchup.

Creighton is next and I have no idea what to expect. We need to keep winning and getting better.

Reaction Score
Whatever the plan was to stop Crooms sucked. How many times did she just walk in and put up a layup? It was awful. I hate it when we play zone. It just isn't working for us.

Reaction Score
Happy for Aaliyah she needed a game like this. Got the W and that's what counts. Still some head scratching moments and not sure why we can't consistently hit the cutter. Definitely missing the hustle that separated UCONN from everyone else.

Reaction Score
I think UConn should name Saint Patrick as their spiritual leader. He ran the snakes out of Ireland and maybe he could do it for the Huskies. They sure have been snake bit all year!

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I wondered if the team looked at Providence’s win-loss record before the game and maybe thought it would be an easy win. I hope not.

I was glad to see a version of Aaliyah that I recognized. An excellent step forward and a bright spot in an otherwise disappointing game, along with another terrific effort from Christyn
Supposedly, UConn took Arizona lightly last season. They said they would not do that again against any team. Well_________

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom