Providence Post Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Providence Post Game Thread

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Sure. 7 more fouls on UConn, when PC probably committed 10 more fouls in the game. That was the problem. Grabbing, clutching, holding, bumping ball handlers, loads of uncalled moving screens.

Hint for Ed and PC fans, if you hip check a ball handler, and he loses the ball and you steal it without contacting his arm, that's still a foul, even if the Big East doesn't want to call it. Carter had one of those last night on Newton. There were several the prior game.
It’s a foul if your Alex and you hip check Bryce with your hands in the air

Reaction Score
Is Samson Johnson hurt, or is something else going on? I read Hurley's comments about him the other day, and he didn't explicitly say that he was dealing with a nagging injury.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It’s a foul if your Alex and you hip check Bryce with your hands in the air
Is it a foul if Bryce slips and falls in the lane and nobody touches him? Apparently yes.

But, I’m talking ball handlers. Off ball body contact happens all the time, guys can battle for spots on the floor. Otherwise anybody running into a screen would be committing a foul.

Reaction Score
What a strange night. If you go through what UConn NEEDS from all 9 guys that play, they really got what they need from all 9 guys last night, nothing more, nothing less! None of them had a great game, but all contributed what we need from them. It's very rare that this happens with any team ever.

Newton - I start with him because he is the key. We don't need him to score a ton, just play aggressively and penetrate
Hawkins - Worked his butt off. Not his best shooting night, but found other ways to score, got to the rim and got his 20 points
Sanogo - Active offensively and defensively, and efficient
Jackson - Just what we need from him. Limited shooting, great energy and defense
Karaban - You can just pencil him in every game for smart play, energy, and 16 points
Alleyne - Just need him for solid backup minutes, and he provided it. 3 pt shooting was a bonus
Diarra - Same thing from him, just need solid backup minutes. Fouls were maddening though
Clingan - Not his best game, but provided solid minutes with a big defensive presence.
Joey C - Not much needed from him last night, so he didn't play much, but was glad to see him make that three late. Hopefully that helps his confidence going forward.

In 90% of games at least one important player is going to have a bad game that requires somebody else to step up and provide more than expected. Last night was not one of those nights.
Great post. You broke it down just for each player perfectly. Each of them played a crucial role last night regardless how large or small. This team is starting to put it all together. Assists were up, aggressive rebounding, excellent time management and very few bad shots (can’t name every great thing they did). Seems all nine are playing within themselves and contributing to the team what each of them do best. The time for experimenting is over, particularly with Jackson shooting threes, and they are peaking at the right time. Love this team!!!!

Reaction Score
Is it a foul if Bryce slips and falls in the lane and nobody touches him? Apparently yes.

But, I’m talking ball handlers. Off ball body contact happens all the time, guys can battle for spots on the floor. Otherwise anybody running into a screen would be committing a foul.

The third foul on Diarra was an abomination, and the missed body check on Hawkins when he rolled his ankle was downright bizarre. The foul on the PC kid Adama was backing down seemed like garbage as well, to be fair.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The third foul on Diarra was an abomination, and the missed body check on Hawkins when he rolled his ankle was downright bizarre. The foul on the PC kid Adama was backing down seemed like garbage as well, to be fair.
They have been calling that back down foul both for and against Sanogo all year, just a brutal buzzkill.

Reaction Score
Arrogant, having an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

I think that was on display through Ed's entire press conference. He is confusing PeeCee's nice little run with UConn's enduring demonstration of excellence at the championship level. The UConn fan base reflects the team. They energize and support the Huskies at a championship level.

That's what Huskies do.
Totally agree. I think UConn's fanbase matches the expectation level of a championship caliber program no different than Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc etc. Also could you ever picture JC or even Hurley making those comments about ANOTHER fanbase? I was honestly surprised. Its not his place to call any fanbase spoiled. Its kind of like this...I can talk about my family, but YOU cant. Sorry Ed, you aint part of UConn family so keep your fanbase comments to yourself. I was shocked by his statements...especially for someone considered a "good guy".

Reaction Score
Totally agree. I think UConn's fanbase matches the expectation level of a championship caliber program no different than Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc etc. Also could you ever picture JC or even Hurley making those comments about ANOTHER fanbase? I was honestly surprised. Its not his place to call any fanbase spoiled. Its kind of like this...I can talk about my family, but YOU cant. Sorry Ed, you aint part of UConn family so keep your fanbase comments to yourself. I was shocked by his statements...especially for someone considered a "good guy".
Good guy? lol. More like politician

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
DH's only shortfall tonight is not getting Springs into the game w/ a couple of minutes remaining.
You must have missed it - he played about 1m at the end, you could even hear the crowd chanting for him.

GREAT FRIGGIN GAME! Nuff said

Reaction Score
Totally agree. I think UConn's fanbase matches the expectation level of a championship caliber program no different than Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc etc. Also could you ever picture JC or even Hurley making those comments about ANOTHER fanbase? I was honestly surprised. It’s not his place to call any fanbase spoiled. Its kind of like this...I can talk about my family, but YOU cant. Sorry Ed, you aint part of UConn family so keep your fanbase comments to yourself. I was shocked by his statements...especially for someone considered a "good guy".
I’d give him a break. He’s just firing up his team and their fan base for the next meeting. It’s kind of old school BE actually. There used to be some real WWF style smack back then.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

forgot about that one!

Reaction Score
I think they really wore Carter out. On the offensive end he expended a lot of energy trying to get away from Andre. On the defensive end he was chasing Hawkins all over the gym.
Quite likely. Thanks coaches.

Reaction Score
Always interesting how the same 20 accounts manage to disappear when we win
Yes interesting.... Why ruin a good moment? There were a couple of things that were less than ideal in the game, TOs, and Newton's lackluster shooting %...However, they did not negatively affect the outcome, so why bother to mention them?

Yes interesting that we get trashed if we post perceived negative comments on a game, and also if we do not post them....in a normal world one would think you cannot have it both ways, but this is the Boneyard, so I guess you can.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yes interesting.... Why ruin a good moment? There were a couple of things that were less than ideal in the game, TOs, and Newton's lackluster shooting %...However, they did not negatively affect the outcome, so why bother to mention them?

Yes interesting that we get trashed if we post perceived negative comments on a game, and also if we do not post them....in a normal world one would think you cannot have it both ways, but this is the Boneyard, so I guess you can.
I'd say, "I see what you did," but perhaps you don't.

Reaction Score

Truly amazing. Tristen Newton has a game with 12 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 1 turnover in a 19 point win and you still manage to trash him

Reaction Score

Why do you think I'm talking about you? Why are you responding to a days old post buried in a thread? That's what's interesting.

Sometimes shutting tf up is your best option, big guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom