Problem - These teams are just better. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Problem - These teams are just better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I wish I had the confidence in Purvis that some of you do. He's our best option at the 2 next year, no question, but that's not saying much. Dude plays like a freshman when it's the end of his junior year. Just when you think he's breaking out with his great play against SMU, he comes back against Memphis and puts up a stinker. He's just as likely to put up a goose-egg as he is to put up 20.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I wish I had the confidence in Purvis that some of you do. He's our best option at the 2 next year, no question, but that's not saying much. Dude plays like a freshman when it's the end of his junior year. Just when you think he's breaking out with his great play against SMU, he comes back against Memphis and puts up a stinker. He's just as likely to put up a goose-egg as he is to put up 20.

Which is why he is our best option at the 2

Reaction Score
I'm not here to defend Omar Calhoun. The product we have seen to this point of his career as evidence does show has been below average. Not "good enough..." is to strong because I have seen guys with talent not produce either because of the system or their own lack of work ethic. To say he has been a disappointment is an understatement but if you qualify it by saying "pre-hip surgery" one logical conclusion is Omar has the talent to return to pre-hip surgery form. Honestly I don't know what's best for this kid. After the season a few players may need to sit down with the coaches and make some tough decisions.

Yeah, believe me, nobody roots for him harder than I do. It's just so tough to see a kid headed for stardom only to have things derailed by injury. I hope you are right in that he does return to pre-hip surgery form, that just seems like something really difficult to come back from.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We owe Omar for his loyalty when we were banned and when JC left. Sad story, but I don't expect much from him.

Reaction Score
We owe Omar for his loyalty when we were banned and when JC left. Sad story, but I don't expect much from him.

I'm not sure what to expect form him either. If he wants to carve out some PT for himself next season, he'll have to develop a specialty. Problem is I don't know what that would be, it sure won't be defense or ball handling. Could he provide instant offense as a 3 pt shooter? Maybe but he has some work to do.

Reaction Score
Hey you have to love Omar for his loyalty to the program. Be real his overall game has fallen off dramatically. Injuries and surgery have eroded what skills he has or had. Hard to fathom when you look back to his freshman yearand he did play with bad hips.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
maybe Fishy is right, but that certainly doesn't bring any comfort to me. It only scares the chit out of me even more

I prefer to believe we're better, but we just haven't shown it yet

helps me sleep at night

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Purvis lacks self-awareness, he thinks he's a much better player than he actually is. He will be the alpha dog next year. And that's not a good thing.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Purvis lacks self-awareness, he thinks he's a much better player than he actually is. He will be the alpha dog next year. And that's not a good thing.

If Hamilton isn't the alpha dog next year, I'm going to be shocked. Say what you will about Purvis but I haven't read any of his quotes in media sessions that make him out to be anything but a team-first guy.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Offseason surgery doesn't explain him stepping out of bounds seven hundred times. It doesn't explain all his traveling violations. It also doesn't explain 77 assists and 101 turnovers for his career, or the lack of turnovers he creates on the other end.
Of course he's making mistakes. Every player is making mistakes. And many are making the same ones over and over. OC gets the ball and starts to the basket without dribbling. Almost every game he gets a traveling call. He's the same age, has more college experience, and his off season surgery was earlier than Rodneys'. He wasn't a burger boy but he was highly ranked. Why are you giving him a pass? How many times did Thabeet bring the ball down to a spot he could be stripped? How many times does TSam drive too far and get blocked or get a turnover? And on and on. Some players develop and some don't. Some correct their mistakes and some don't.

How many times do people in this forum get upset by something, vocalize it every time, knowing it probably won't change anything? What's more frustrating? A player who makes repeated mistakes or any fan that continues to obsess in a futile endeavor. Not singling you out by any stretch. I admire your insight to the game tremendously which is why I'm replying to you directly. Furthermore I'm well aware there are a slew of people who share your sentiment. But is expressing this frustration with Rodney, or any frustration we have over anything every time we see it appear, different than the repeated mistaken action taken by a player? Does this repeated expression accomplish anything positive? If it there is a chance than I recommend we continue the endeavor. If it is unlikely, then I suggest we do something else such as come to terms with the situation or ignore it. Or better yet figure out why it bothers us so much.

We often dwell on something and very rarely introspect why that problem means so much to us. I share with all of you the desire that every UConn player fixes their mistakes and develops to their maximum potential, hoping like others, that doing so accomplishes team success. If that happens I get a vicarious pleasure from that accomplishment. I can strut with the best of you. However there isn't really anything I can do regarding players. I have no contact with them. I do have contact with members in this forum. If I can help one person find peace during troubling times by expressing something, than I get the same satisfaction I would get if I could help Rodney. If not I know I gave it my best effort.

Peace champs!

Reaction Score
Personally, I am really worried about how close we are to non-relevance. 10-8 in the AAC is a joke and I'm not at all bullish about next season, Say what you want about our national perception and where we rank among the elite programs (who gives a snow in any case) but our recruiting hasn't picked up like I thought it would coming off a combination of a NC and KO. Whether KO was distracted because of his divorce or not I don't know and don't care but none of our guys (with the exception of DHam) really improved this season and their collective psyche seems more fragile now than earlier in the year (like Texas, Dook and Florida games). All of this just seems to bode for a tough season next year too. It's bad enough that the BE Tourney at MSG is gone for me/us for this tourney but I find myself questioning whether we will even beat USF? This sucks.

Reaction Score
Scooby I echo your concern regarding non-relevance. Being in the AAC has done us no favors; sucking in it has hurt us even more. I see recruiting going downhill at this point. Although Adams will be a stud, I will wait and see with Enosch. It seems like many posters here annoint every big man before he even steps on campus. And we know how that turns out most of the time. There are still some who believe that AB and KF will come back next year and be these incredible studs. Given what I have seen from them the past two years, I just don't see that. Serviceable is the word which comes to mind. Same with RP. He will have his great games (SMU) and clunkers (Memphis), but there has been no consistency from him whatsoever. I think that he will be a bit more stable next year, but he is never going to be the next great one. I hope he proves me wrong. Rather than critique each player and go further off on this tangent, I would just say that I am seriously concerned about the direction in which this program is heading. Poor recruiting, lack of player development and a seeming regression from our HC. These things can be fixed, but if we don't get out of this second tier conference it may be awhile. And nobody here can argue that we haven't exactly played our way out of it.

Reaction Score
If Hamilton isn't the alpha dog next year, I'm going to be shocked. Say what you will about Purvis but I haven't read any of his quotes in media sessions that make him out to be anything but a team-first guy.

Because there aren't any quotes like that. This is just that thing where message board posters indulge in baseless speculation about the character of kids they don't know.

Reaction Score
Of course he's making mistakes. Every player is making mistakes. And many are making the same ones over and over. OC gets the ball and starts to the basket without dribbling. Almost every game he gets a traveling call. He's the same age, has more college experience, and his off season surgery was earlier than Rodneys'. He wasn't a burger boy but he was highly ranked. Why are you giving him a pass? How many times did Thabeet bring the ball down to a spot he could be stripped? How many times does TSam drive too far and get blocked or get a turnover? And on and on. Some players develop and some don't. Some correct their mistakes and some don't.

How many times do people in this forum get upset by something, vocalize it every time, knowing it probably won't change anything? What's more frustrating? A player who makes repeated mistakes or any fan that continues to obsess in a futile endeavor. Not singling you out by any stretch. I admire your insight to the game tremendously which is why I'm replying to you directly. Furthermore I'm well aware there are a slew of people who share your sentiment. But is expressing this frustration with Rodney, or any frustration we have over anything every time we see it appear, different than the repeated mistaken action taken by a player? Does this repeated expression accomplish anything positive? If it there is a chance than I recommend we continue the endeavor. If it is unlikely, then I suggest we do something else such as come to terms with the situation or ignore it. Or better yet figure out why it bothers us so much.

We often dwell on something and very rarely introspect why that problem means so much to us. I share with all of you the desire that every UConn player fixes their mistakes and develops to their maximum potential, hoping like others, that doing so accomplishes team success. If that happens I get a vicarious pleasure from that accomplishment. I can strut with the best of you. However there isn't really anything I can do regarding players. I have no contact with them. I do have contact with members in this forum. If I can help one person find peace during troubling times by expressing something, than I get the same satisfaction I would get if I could help Rodney. If not I know I gave it my best effort.

Peace champs!

I think we may be closer to the same page on this topic than you realize. This roster is deeply flawed - which isn't overly surprising considering their relative youth - and any of the frustrating tendencies Purvis exhibits certainly are not unique to him. Calhoun is as bad, if not worse as you alluded to.

It seems we agree that Purvis may prove to be a polarizing player on this board for years to come, even if through no fault of his own. It will happen though, because of his physical ability; he's your prototypical two guard in terms of height, build, and athleticism. He will also demonstrate a soft shooting touch, even if his release is slow and he's inconsistent. These are characteristics that, IMO, differentiate him from Samuel and post-hip surgery Omar Calhoun.

Daniel Hamilton is the perfect counter point. He is a freshman who is plagued by all of the troubling tendencies freshman are usually plagued by, yet, you will find little resistance to the notion that he is on his way to stardom. Purvis, meanwhile, continues to enrage people long into his sophomore year with his apparent deficient instincts for the game. I use the word instinct because it does not carry a negative connotation as it relates to his character. He plays hard, I'm sure he works/trains hard. Some are simply less equipped than others at interpreting the shifting complexions of a basketball court, and to some extent, it's something you either have or don't. Purvis does not appear to, and thus, despite his physical measurables, will never fulfill his pre-college hype.

I hope I'm wrong, of course, and I have been many times. I would argue that in taking this position, I am better suited to embrace his flaws while also appreciating his strengths than say, somebody penciling him into the lottery. To me, Purvis is the perfect example of a kid who the board would be better off re-calibrating their expectations for moving forward. He is still a potential success story viewed in certain terms.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I disagree. He's a better player than he knows.

He won't be the alpha dog next year and anyone who thinks Hamilton has that in him hasn't been paying attention.

The alpha dog is at a prep in New Hampshire right now.

Reaction Score

Are you trying to convince us that Adams is the Khalid El-Amin to Daniel Hamilton's, well, Richard Hamilton?

(Note: No idea who Purvis represents in this scenario.)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geez Fishy how about we play a game or two before you run up the white flag?
surrender.jpg

Reaction Score
Well the one thing is we have no gimme in this tourney. Even USF is going to give us fits the way we have been playing. They actually played us pretty well the last time in Hartford.

Reaction Score
I disagree. He's a better player than he knows.

He won't be the alpha dog next year and anyone who thinks Hamilton has that in him hasn't been paying attention.

I think it is possible Hamilton is deferring to Boat. Boat is a very good player and a strong personality.

And sometimes it takes players a long time to fully realize how much they can dominate. Ben Gordon, I remember, didn't quite figure out how good he was until midway through Junior year, so I hope Hamilton, and to a lesser extent Purvis, are in that camp.

But...the big difference between them and Gordon is that Gordon--even when he didn't quite realize how good he was--still scored a lot.

Reaction Score
I think we will see huge improvement in Brimah ... next year

Why on earth would you think that ? He was supposed to improve immensely this year. Against Temple his line was 3 points and 1 rebound in 28 minutes. Sure, he also had 5 blocks, but as pointed out above, many times, his propensity to try and block shots directly results in offensive rebounds or easy baskets.

I'd like to think Brimah will be a different player next year, but at some point, you have to accept that he is what he is.

Reaction Score
Well there is an 800 lb gorilla that most often goes unsaid for good reason but KOs personal difficulties have no doubt affected his performance all year long both on the court and off.
Yup, without a doubt.

Reaction Score
Why on earth would you think that ? He was supposed to improve immensely this year. Against Temple his line was 3 points and 1 rebound in 28 minutes. Sure, he also had 5 blocks, but as pointed out above, many times, his propensity to try and block shots directly results in offensive rebounds or easy baskets.

I'd like to think Brimah will be a different player next year, but at some point, you have to accept that he is what he is.
I'll be happy to accept that after he gets a summer to improve his game. If he comes back and is the same, then sure.

This year had lots of little things go wrong in the offseason. Starting with Daniels going pro (again, not a judgement on his decision, but he would undeniably have made this team much better), then we had the offseason surgeries to Purvis and Brimah. And then we had regular season injuries at the least ideal times.

Where we got all the bounces last year, we've gotten none this.

Reaction Score

Because college-aged kids tend to get better from year to year? While the freshman-to-sophomore jump typically is the biggest, most guys don't stop improving after their sophomore seasons.

And not for nothing, but Brimah has improved a whole heck of a lot since last year. I know a lot of people consider him a major disappointment because he didn't meet the absurd lottery pick predictions, but we're talking about a player who averaged 4-3 as a frosh. He's not a great player - and may never be - it's not unreasonable to think he'll be a very good, 7-foot college center next season.

That's a valuable thing for a college team to have.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Are you trying to convince us that Adams is the Khalid El-Amin to Daniel Hamilton's, well, Richard Hamilton?

(Note: No idea who Purvis represents in this scenario.)
To me, Marques Johnson. (I know I'm mixing eras) I hope I'm wrong. I want to eat crow on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom