Problem - These teams are just better. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Problem - These teams are just better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
TSam is not getting better and it's not just his inability to shoot a non layup. His defense is horrible with him left slapping his arms on his sides after the opponent has taken him or lost him on the way to the basket. Ollie had better get the new point guard an assistant because if TSam is getting more minutes next year we will have a losing record. The lack of ball handling skills of OC and Purvis combined with a freshman point guard does not bode well either. When you look at the shooting form of OC and Purvis is it any wonder that they struggle to make them? They both have an unbalanced release. Today we looked like we ran out of gas and had a hangover from losing another home game at Gampel. I hope the team can play better in the AAC tourney but it will be a longshot. Too many hard ceilings.

Reaction Score
TSam has had a bad stretch of games, but by no means is he less of a player than Dbev was as someone stated earlier. Hell, Tsam had some huge buckets in the NCAA tourney last year. It's growing pains. It's college basketball. This is what happens when kids stick around and grow as players. Get over it and stop being spoiled.

Tsam had huge layups and FTs last NCAAs with 3 dynamic shooters on the floor with him. He got space. His man was hedging or going to double team Bazz. That won't happen next year. He isn't a baller. Just becusse he's better than Dbev doesn't mean anything. We had the best player on the floor in 11 and 14. With some serviceable players around those 2. Dbev and Tsam could have been someone else. I glad they did what they did both of them. And they are part of the Uconn family. But Tsam is what he is. What we should expect is for him to become a more consistent defender, less turnovers, better decision maker, hit 75% from the line. But he will never be a 3 point threat that ship has sailed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
TSam has had a bad stretch of games, but by no means is he less of a player than Dbev was as someone stated earlier. Hell, Tsam had some huge buckets in the NCAA tourney last year. It's growing pains. It's college basketball. This is what happens when kids stick around and grow as players. Get over it and stop being spoiled.
Neither of them were particularly good Div.1 point guards. They would be the #3 or #4 option on most teams and that is ok. TSam did have some huge buckets in the tourney last season but there were open lanes because opponents had to respect our outside shooting. I never liked his game and took some heat for it last year. His lack of athleticism will hold him back.
You are right: this season was a season of growing pains and that is little to accept after winning a NCC last year. I think we will see huge improvement in Brimah and Hamilton next year although I'm less convinced that Purvis will be more consistent. We'll have a freshman PG who was more of a combo guard in HS and he will have the ball in his hands probably more than a freshman should but KO really doesn't have a choice. Maybe Sam Jr. will improve his D.
KO didn't forget how to coach and his decisions will look better when the players improve.

Reaction Score
Its been obvious for a while now that a lot of the expectations going into this season were unrealistic. Thats what makes it hurt more. I mean if anybody said back in October that this team would never have a 4 game winning streak at any point in the season, Id tell them they were crazy. Even looking back at the schedule now its hard to believe we never got things going having to play teams like Houston, ECU, USF, etc.

Reaction Score
I was on a work call with the game on mute so I don't know the specific play to which you're referring, so I'm not disputing the accuracy of your description. But the problem is that you seem to be saying that this sort of lack of situational awareness is a problem that's specific to Purvis, and it really seems to be a hallmark of the team generally. Every single guy on the team does stuff like this - repeatedly - every game. At least Rodney offsets it on occasion with some offense. Other guys don't.

You're certainly right that a lot of the bad habits Purvis exhibits plagues the entire roster. Where I will sympathize with @Cheeky regarding the position he's taken is that oftentimes it feels he is the least redeemable of everybody, which is made worse by the fact that we're dependent on him to be a lead guard. Everybody else has an excuse - Facey and Brimah are still painfully young in basketball years, Hamilton's only a freshman, and guys like Calhoun and Samuel just aren't that talented.

I don't think this is an indictment on his character or anything. He seems like a great kid. Sometimes the game just moves faster than you can think, and a lot of times I think it's something your born with.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Perhaps we can blame the ban for the lack of talent on this team (and can you imagine this team had Boatright left?).

But it's just not acceptable to basically only having Jalen coming in to replace Boat next year. This program needs so much more it's not even funny. Why are we playing with such fire? The margin of error is so small with this group. What happened to the stacked depth of an Okafor, Charlie V, Boone, Armstrong? Losing the amount of recruits we lost this past off season coming off a title and a new practice facility is just not getting it done.

I just can't believe this program is having this much difficulty navigating an AAC conference regular season schedule. If we can't handle the grind of SMU, Memphis, Temple than God help them if the ACC miracle invite ever comes and they have Louisville, Duke, UNC, UVA, Syracuse, Pitt staring at them.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Just like tsam was a help last year dbev was in 2011 run. He definitely is a better point guard than tsam even if he lacked the defense that tsam has. As we can tell from this year there isn't any point guard skills with him. He can't create offense for others due to an iffy handle and bad passing instincts. I pray we find someone this year that can handle the ball when Adams is out of the game or next season is going to scary.

Reaction Score
We weren't the only ones with expectations, all the college hoops mags and reporters had us inside the top 20 and these are people that do this for a living which tells us what we already know. No one had seen a Purvis for a year, he gave us a lot of down and some up. Nolan, Samuel, and Facey were projected to improve, it didn't happen. Those who are expecting improvement next year from Brimah will be rewarded I think. Calhoun came back to shoot better from 3 but it's apparent his athleticism isn't there for other needed game skills. We need an injection of new blood, we're down several pints.

C

Chief00

We can't shoot and that leads to a lot of bad things - turnovers, travels, crazy drives and poor transition defense. And guys eventually get discourage and jack-up really bad shots.
As for Fishy's point the Bigs are making the same stupid mistakes they made in November - I couldn't agree more and I have been pleading for a Bigs coach for a long time. In the meantime we have won 2 NCs but it's been in spite of the Bigs slow development.
Ollie has pushed all the wrong buttons this year so unlike the first two. Much is due to to the fact he doesn't have the talent to respond - and sometimes teams just don't have chemistry - 2012 had great talent but bad chemistry and a disruptive season due to NCAA suspensions.
Ollie and his staff, who you seldom hear recruits mention - need to reel in some late talent - at least 2 players who can play immediately.

Reaction Score
We can't shoot and that leads to a lot of bad things - turnovers, travels, crazy drives and poor transition defense. And guys eventually get discourage and jack-up really bad shots.
As for Fishy's point the Bigs are making the same stupid mistakes they made in November - I couldn't agree more and I have been pleading for a Bigs coach for a long time. In the meantime we have won 2 NCs but it's been in spite of the Bigs slow development.
Ollie has pushed all the wrong buttons this year so unlike the first two. Much is due to to the fact he doesn't have the talent to respond - and sometimes teams just don't have chemistry - 2012 had great talent but bad chemistry and a disruptive season due to NCAA suspensions.
Ollie and his staff, who you seldom hear recruits mention - need to reel in some late talent - at least 2 players who can play immediately.

What this team really needs next season is another Nadev Henefeld type player, an older experienced high BB IQ type who can do the little things needed to win games. I had some hopes for the German kid, but I'm not sure what the story is with him. The individual pieces are in place for next season, we just need a stabilizing influence to pull the pieces together.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
We will get Hardnett or Carter or Smith. So, Adams will play the two. The other will play the point. Purvis will be an off the bench heat check guy. Don't be surprised if Ollie starts Enoch, Brimah, Dham, New point and Adams, hoping to make a run in two years. Of Course, he could bring as yet unknown fifth year and then things will change.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Pom poms are off.

TSam is at best a 3rd or 4th guard. He can't shoot and drives down blind alleys and then gives the ball away. Purvis is a slasher with no left hand. Purvis will improve. TSam will not. Cassell belongs on the bench with TSam. Omar should slide down a little to make room.

Brimah will improve but let's face it: if he gets good enough to carry the team he's gone after next year. Nolan has come up small when we needed him. Facey has a lot to prove and I'm not I even know who Lubin is. Stubby guy that should be playing for Central, right? DHam is a stud but I worry that he'll be asked to do too much.

I see only two returning players that we can count on next year: Brimah and Hamilton.

I blame Ollie and the staff. While we shouldn't speculate on players that should leave I can say that Ollie has to take a hard look at his staff. I see a lot of deadwood. The former Husky thing ain't working.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
We will get Hardnett or Carter or Smith. So, Adams will play the two. The other will play the point. Purvis will be an off the bench heat check guy. Don't be surprised if Ollie starts Enoch, Brimah, Dham, New point and Adams, hoping to make a run in two years. Of Course, he could bring as yet unknown fifth year and then things will change.

Carter I can see being able to earn a spot in the starting lineup if he plays extremely well in the first practices. I have a harder time thinking that Hardnett or Smith would start over Purvis. As frustrating as he has been, he has far more upside on a college basketball court than a 3-star freshman can be assumed to have.

Reaction Score
Pom poms are off.

TSam is at best a 3rd or 4th guard. He can't shoot and drives down blind alleys and then gives the ball away. Purvis is a slasher with no left hand. Purvis will improve. TSam will not. Cassell belongs on the bench with TSam. Omar should slide down a little to make room.

Brimah will improve but let's face it: if he gets good enough to carry the team he's gone after next year. Nolan has come up small when we needed him. Facey has a lot to prove and I'm not I even know who Lubin is. Stubby guy that should be playing for Central, right? DHam is a stud but I worry that he'll be asked to do too much.

I see only two returning players that we can count on next year: Brimah and Hamilton.

I blame Ollie and the staff. While we shouldn't speculate on players that should leave I can say that Ollie has to take a hard look at his staff. I see a lot of deadwood. The former Husky thing ain't working.

At this point I'd have to agree with your view of the staff. I don't know the inner workings of the staff but I believe the recruiting assistants are Miller, Hobbs and Ricky. Of those 3 only Hobbs is an experienced recruiter and I haven't heard his name associated with anyone UConn has recruited for next season or anyone we are looking at beyond that. I had hoped that he would have some connections in the Baltimore/DC area from his time at GW, but again, nothing.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Adams will start over Purvis. Why? Adams look like a big time scorer and we don't want him running the offense. Leave that to lesser mortals. Purvis can't run the show. This means we have to find our starting point.

Reaction Score
Adams will start over Purvis. Why? Adams look like a big time scorer and we don't want him running the offense. Leave that to lesser mortals. Purvis can't run the show. This means we have to find our starting point.
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that our starting lineup will be Adams-Purvis-Hamilton-????-Brimah, provided all are healthy.

Purvis has the potential to be a serious scorer. We saw that, and I suspect he'll get more consistent. Since the Houston game he is averaging 12.7ppg. That's opposed to 9.3ppg before that.

Brimah and Hamilton are obvious. Adams will be a PG for this team. We'll probably play those 4 plus another ball-handler with some frequency.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Quite frankly, while I like guys who can shot - if you have some shooters there is always a spot on the team for a TSam type - I love his toughness and attitude - he plays hard. He is a good kid who competes. He fills a role and will give us energy off the bench with defense and occasionally driving the ball on offense; however he should not take the open 3 - since there is a reason he is open on the 3 point line.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

I'm pretty sure that Adams will be playing the 1 as he has this entire year. He could certainly switch to the 2 at times, but his future is at the 1 and that is where I expect him to play primarily.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Forget the AAC Tournament.

Four wins in four days? No. The teams above us in the conference are better and play harder and smarter than we do. If they all get off the plane at Bradley, we're not making it.

The irony is that we probably will win the AAC tourney.

So, to recap, we should lose the AAC tournament but we probably will win it.

Reaction Score
pnow15 said:

Take a break.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the kittens...at least that cheered me up a bit!

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Great post. I also heard Kevin Ollie owns a snow plow company on the side and it's just been a busy season for he and the guys who he uses as drivers.
Well there is an 800 lb gorilla that most often goes unsaid for good reason but KOs personal difficulties have no doubt affected his performance all year long both on the court and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom