Prediction Time | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Prediction Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Odds are this is going to be a close game and I have UConn winning 73-65. However if UConn is able to rebound with South Carolina, negate their height advantage inside by stuffing the paint, and is hot from the outside this game could get ugly and UConn could win by 20.
I guess people are forgetting that UConn has a poor record in close games. This factoid came out in the Stanford game.

I have a fear that this game will start out like the Stanford final four game. An ugly first half. Hopefully, UConn will wear SC down.

Reaction Score
At 10:54AM Uconn is now favored by 11.5 pts which is more realistic.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
One thing I agree with TonyC about: South Carolina will not be able to score big points against UConn. For the Gamecocks to win, the score will have to remain in the 50's or low 60's, which would mean that UConn is not hitting shots, their shots are getting blocked or altered by USC's big defenders, or their key scorers are sitting on the bench for one reason or another.

If none of those things happen (which seems most likely though far from certain), then an approximate 20-point victory seems probable. UConn in the high 70's; South Carolina in the mid-50's.

Reaction Score
Dawn Staley's #1 USC Carolina Gamecocks ... the Lady-Gs 67, Geno's #2 UConn Huskies 63.

SCAR defense is better than y'all realize, plus our long range bombers get hot tonight, force y'all to come out and that leaves the bigs inside open for some easy 2s. We run the court very well and we've got too much depth for y'all to handle all night ... eventually your girls will fatigue.

Now, the key to this game for SCAR is to shoot minimum 75% from the charity strike.

I'd like to see y'all's bigs in foul trouble early - that would be good. We're going to try to pound the ball down low but I fully expect the refs up there to let'em bang on our girls so we're not counting on this thing to be called evenly. We'll see though. I could be wrong.

Not surprised to see y'all favored by double-digits given the history of teams failing up there. You've got a heckuvan intimidating place to play-in. We're supposed to be bringing a big crowd. A planeload, a busload, plus a bunch of people coming up from the NYC area. We sold all 200 of our tickets we were allotted.

Reaction Score
I have always been amazed at how accurate Vegas can be, they have us favored by 11 1/2 which I find suprising. I give the Gamecocks more respect than that personally but not being a gambler I'm going with the odds makers. SC 63 UCONN 74 1/2 :D

Reaction Score
I have always been amazed at how accurate Vegas can be, they have us favored by 11 1/2 which I find suprising. I give the Gamecocks more respect than that personally but not being a gambler I'm going with the odds makers. SC 63 UCONN 74 1/2 :D

Is it really Vegas that has set that spread ? I was under the impression that they don't have WCBB lines until the NCAA's.
Massey has UConn as 12.5 pt favorites. However, that is not a betting line.

Reaction Score
Is it really Vegas that has set that spread ? I was under the impression that they don't have WCBB lines until the NCAA's.
Massey has UConn as 12.5 pt favorites. However, that is not a betting line.
Maybe I should have not used the term Vegas. Here is where I got it.
http://www..com/lines/basketball_college_women
I went with the word Vegas because if you look hard enough there is nothing you can't bet on there.

Reaction Score
Dawn Staley's #1 USC Carolina Gamecocks ... the Lady-Gs 67, Geno's #2 UConn Huskies 63.

SCAR defense is better than y'all realize, plus our long range bombers get hot tonight, force y'all to come out and that leaves the bigs inside open for some easy 2s. We run the court very well and we've got too much depth for y'all to handle all night ... eventually your girls will fatigue.

If you check above, you'll see I am expecting a very close game, and I'm not at all an "in-your-face" fan. I've been a basketball fan much too long for that, I know the ball bounces both ways. While much of your projection is possible, one thing shows your unfamiliarity with UConn. Do NOT expect fatigue from UConn. If there's one aspect that more than any other underlies the historic dominance of UConn, it's the conditioning. I think it is the single biggest advantage the Huskies have, that and the assumption by opponents that they will tire during the game.

Reaction Score
Maybe I should have not used the term Vegas. Here is where I got it.
http://www..com/lines/basketball_college_women
I went with the word Vegas because if you look hard enough there is nothing you can't bet on there.

Interesting. I've never seen a posted betting line on a WCBB regular season game before. It appears that "" is based in Canada.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Good Huskies 77
Roosters 63
Overconfident fans who are bad for the mojo 0

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score

Now, the key to this game for SCAR is to shoot minimum 75% from the charity strike.

I'd like to see y'all's bigs in foul trouble early - that would be good. We're going to try to pound the ball down low but I fully expect the refs up there to let'em bang on our girls so we're not counting on this thing to be called evenly. We'll see though. I could be wrong.

Not surprised to see y'all favored by double-digits given the history of teams failing up there. You've got a heckuvan intimidating place to play-in. We're supposed to be bringing a big crowd. A planeload, a busload, plus a bunch of people coming up from the NYC area. We sold all 200 of our tickets we were allotted.
UConn doesn't fatigue because of their conditioning and they don't foul.

Reaction Score
UConn 82 SC 57

As much as ESPN and the rest of the WCB world has hyped this game, it simply won't come close to being a game, at least in the end. There are just too many factors going against SC that will allow them to keep this one close.

1. Stage fright - Huge game played before a boisterous home crowd and in front of a national television audience. Second nature for the Huskies...Gamecocks will be blinded by the bright lights and never see that train coming.

2. Intimidation - Simply put, all teams not named Notre Dame and Stanford are intimidated at the thought of playing the "Mighty Huskies".

3. Lack of high level competition - South Carolina played a weak OOC schedule and doesn't really face much competition in the SEC, which features lousy offensive / scrappy defensive-minded teams. But make no doubt, SC will be facing a defense tonight like none other they have ever faced.

The only saving grace for South Carolina is that they have a very competent coach and some very highly skilled talent. With that being said, the I can see SC keeping it close for a while, but once UConn gets going on their first run, it's going to be lights out after that. It's not that Geno has any hate for Dawn and SC, but I fully expect him to keep the foot on the pedal tonight in an attempt to demoralize SC in the event there is a second meeting this season.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Bottom line Tomorrow morning UConn will be number 1 in the polls. I agree our defense is going to be the biggest surprise for SC and add fan base I think there will be to much pressure on SC to overcome. In games like this it shows you both teams weaknesses. SC turnovers and lack of outside shooting will take its toll tonite.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Bottom line Tomorrow morning UConn will be number 1 in the polls. I agree our defense is going to be the biggest surprise for SC and add fan base I think there will be to much pressure on SC to overcome. In games like this it shows you both teams weaknesses. SC turnovers and lack of outside shooting will take its toll tonite.
I remember when Ivory Latta and her NC teammates were hardly intimidated.....

Reaction Score
This will be a game where we miss the steadying anchor-like presence of Stef.

Reaction Score
Both teams will have trouble scoring against the other team's D, except for KML. UConn 68 - SC 55.

Next year's game in SC will be even more of a heavyweight battle, if possible, with most all starters on both sides returning, and strong in-coming freshman classes. That'll be a game for the ages by two veteran, star-studded teams. Tonight, I expect to have many moments of skittish play by one (SC) or both teams.

Reaction Score
My hope is that with great defense on both sides SC can turn this into a grinding type game and not let UConn dictate the pace. Huskys have a much more polished offense and the Lady G's are still trying to get there. This year they have survived on their size advantage and depth and won a few games ugly. Can't have the sluggish start in this game that has plagued us in many games and survive. I expect a close slugfest type game and am hoping for a Gamecock win! 68-64

Reaction Score
Both teams will have trouble scoring against the other team's D, except for KML. UConn 68 - SC 55.

Next year's game in SC will be even more of a heavyweight battle, if possible, with most all starters on both sides returning, and strong in-coming freshman classes. That'll be a game for the ages by two veteran, star-studded teams. Tonight, I expect to have many moments of skittish play by one (SC) or both teams.

Only one team will have a strong Freshman class next year. We have two of the top 5 and 3 of the top 22 recruits in the country coming to Storrs next year plus Butler. We lose KML and Stokes and they lose Ibiam, Welch and Gaines. We lose more but we gain much more coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom