Prediction Time | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Prediction Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn 82 SC 57

As much as ESPN and the rest of the WCB world has hyped this game, it simply won't come close to being a game, at least in the end. There are just too many factors going against SC that will allow them to keep this one close.

1. Stage fright - Huge game played before a boisterous home crowd and in front of a national television audience. Second nature for the Huskies...Gamecocks will be blinded by the bright lights and never see that train coming.

2. Intimidation - Simply put, all teams not named Notre Dame and Stanford are intimidated at the thought of playing the "Mighty Huskies".

3. Lack of high level competition - South Carolina played a weak OOC schedule and doesn't really face much competition in the SEC, which features lousy offensive / scrappy defensive-minded teams. But make no doubt, SC will be facing a defense tonight like none other they have ever faced.

The only saving grace for South Carolina is that they have a very competent coach and some very highly skilled talent. With that being said, the I can see SC keeping it close for a while, but once UConn gets going on their first run, it's going to be lights out after that. It's not that Geno has any hate for Dawn and SC, but I fully expect him to keep the foot on the pedal tonight in an attempt to demoralize SC in the event there is a second meeting this season.

Not back so much to toot my horn, although I did correctly predict the exact final margin of victory, and I did forecast a close game initially that would be over after UConn's first run. However, I really wanted to give the Dawn Staley and the SC team some kudos. I didn't see a team blinded by the light or intimidated. I saw a team that came out firing, running and gunning and taking it to the Huskies. However, we have heard this song before...the script of this game was very similar to that of the ND game. The Huskies took the opponents best shot and was surprisingly knocked off-balance momentarily; but quickly regained their composure and with a collective, quiet, confident, grin, said "Ok then, let's get it on"!

Again, props to SC...they proved they are deserving of a high ranking and that they are a team to be reckoned with come March. But in the end, SC simply does not have the overall player talent and coaching skills to match the Huskies. Continuously, UConn utilized it's offensive genius to get create high quality shots, and props to the players for executing them...to shoot 55% against such a high regarded defense is AMAZING! And the Huskies held SC to under 40% shooting...GREAT JOB!

While one question was answered loud and clear last night (UConn is definitely the #1 team in the land), another one looms...who is the 2nd best team? I am really looking forward to a potential Final Four matchup between ND and SC. I think these two teams comprise the second tier. After that, I think there is a slight drop off in the overall quality of teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I honestly thought SC would give UConn a real game.

Sometimes it is good to be wrong :D

Reaction Score
Not back so much to toot my horn, although I did correctly predict the exact final margin of victory, and I did forecast a close game initially that would be over after UConn's first run.

While one question was answered loud and clear last night (UConn is definitely the #1 team in the land), another one looms...who is the 2nd best team? I am really looking forward to a potential Final Four matchup between ND and SC. I think these two teams comprise the second tier. After that, I think there is a slight drop off in the overall quality of teams.
Agree.

And congrats on your prediction (toot toot!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom