Precious Speaks on Recruiting! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Precious Speaks on Recruiting!

Reaction Score
Eh you're probably right. In a pissy mood today--my best player dislocated his knee. My bad.

I think what it boils down to is I know kids don't view uconn as a top school like kansas, unc, duke, kentucky, etc. Even nova. We're more like a non P5 Florida to them.
That can change quickly, there wasn't a single kid 5 years ago who considered Nova a blueblood.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Eh you're probably right. In a pissy mood today--my best player dislocated his knee. My bad.

I think what it boils down to is I know kids don't view uconn as a top school like kansas, unc, duke, kentucky, etc. Even nova. We're more like a non P5 Florida to them.
I think the window is closing on us even being in the same conversation as Florida. We need to win important games quick. We need a number back in front of our name and a tournament bid within the next couple years just to maintain where we are.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Blue bloods stay consistent. We haven't been so no way we are a blue blood. yet.

Reaction Score
UConn is still big time. Hurley arrived just in time to bring us back to the top before we lost too much cache.

Reaction Score
If Indiana is a blue blood then we may as well consider adding San Francisco. They had a great run a little while back!

Reaction Score
Agreed, IMO there are only 4 true bluebloods. Kentucky, Kansas, Duke. and Carolina.
I have to agree. In the present day landscape of men's college basketball, these are the four that seemingly year in year out are considered to be potentially competing for a national title, and consistently being ranked in the top ten. All kinds of arguments can be made to include other schools, or even what really constitutes a blueblood, but I'm not going there.

Reaction Score
UConn has as much of a claim as Indiana or more of one IMO. Indiana hasn't won it all in 31 years, UCLA has all the history but hasn't won it in 23 years. Kentucky, Duke, UNC, and Kansas are the only consistently great programs who also win titles.

UCLA has the most titles, a top 5 win%, tied for 2nd most FF, and 2 final fours in the last 11 years.

Blue blood is about history, so don't think you can dismiss that out of hand. Lineage. Bloodline. You need continued current success, sure, but UCLA's final fours being within a decade are good enough for me considering the overwhelming history.

Teams with 15 or more Final Fours is a pretty easy cutoff. UNC, Kentucky, UCLA, Duke, and Kansas. All between 15-20 FF. Next highest is 10 FF. All 5 of those schools wear blue. Easy, done.

Reaction Score
If Indiana is a blue blood then we may as well consider adding San Francisco. They had a great run a little while back!
And lets not forget CCNY! The won the NC and NIT in the same year!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No doubt. Same principle is how we fell off the map so quick
Sigh, we aren't off the map. These kids still know UConn.

Reaction Score
We were a blue blood. If Hurley can recruit the talent he can bring us back to near that because success breeds success. All of a sudden we're in the tourney picture every year making runs and getting the exposure which will bring recruits. Can't be done without talent. Without Barrett and Williamson this year how good is Duke? Get a quality big man to go with the guards. The whole program rides on that.

CL82

Reaction Score
Early 2000s we were a clearly top destination. You don't know kids if you think that's the case now.
Well I know that some do:
1545405936268.png

... and we may not be done yet.

Reaction Score
Well I know that some do:
View attachment 37587

... and we may not be done yet.

Because they bought into revitalizing the brand. Do you really think we have the same draw to recruits we did in years past? Perhaps I'm comparing us to the true blue bloods and you're not. The goal shouldn't be to be Louisville minus the prostitutes. I want a team that is top 10 every year, reeling in multiple 5* and 4* recruits. Not quite there yet, but we're definitely trending positively.

CL82

Reaction Score
Because they bought into revitalizing the brand. Do you really think we have the same draw to recruits we did in years past? Perhaps I'm comparing us to the true blue bloods and you're not. The goal shouldn't be to be Louisville minus the prostitutes. I want a team that is top 10 every year, reeling in multiple 5* and 4* recruits. Not quite there yet, but we're definitely trending positively.
Sigh. Revitalizing the brand, means that there is a brand, right?

So how do you define blue bloods? Who do you feel fits that definition.

Reaction Score
Sigh. Revitalizing the brand, means that there is a brand, right?

So how do you define blue bloods? Who do you feel fits that definition.

Mention where I said we don't have a brand? "Falling off the map" means we HAD a brand and are losing it. UConn's brand is NOWHERE near as strong as it was. I think a few years of sustained regular season success and some tourney runs could bring us back. A so-so season and a miracle run in the tournament is not going to do it. As much fun as 2014 was (I went to a few games with my father), that's not going to bring back a fan base.

UK, KU, UNC. Not sure a school like UCLA should count any more. Not enough recent sustained success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom