Precious Speaks on Recruiting! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Precious Speaks on Recruiting!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Lol, which kids?

Kofi and Akok have spoken of us like that, Kofi pointedly, but that's probably Hurley selling like a demon--kudos to him. But yeah, I don't think that's the general impression nationally.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Montverde played against some regular public school last night lol.

Reaction Score
It’s different - night and day. The good news is we don’t have an assistant coach monopolizing his time with class catalogs and schedules. What self perceived 1 and done recruit could refuse that experience?
Please tell me Glenn Miller is getting a Xmas card from you this year

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Never mind the complaints Nomar.
Some people don't understand that each bingo card is different and that other chief00-isms appear in other cards.
Otherwise, Bingo would always end up in a massive tie.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Kids in Montverde are Giants in comparison to the other kids. They should have demolished them like they did.
the smallest player in their rotation is 6’5. Check out the no look behind the back alley-oop at :33 seconds. I’ve never seen that before!

Reaction Score
I for one am sick of hearing about the “ bluebloods”. We have 4 NC’s in the last 20 years, which is more or less the amount of time these kids have been on planet earth. For them, we are a school they grew up watching on tv as a perennial NC contender ( with of course a few down years like everyone else). The only bluebloods are octopi. The rest is media hype. I personally find it irrelevant that Kentucky won championships in the 1940’s.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I for one am sick of hearing about the “ bluebloods”. We have 4 NC’s in the last 20 years, which is more or less the amount of time these kids have been on planet earth. For them, we are a school they grew up watching on tv as a perennial NC contender ( with of course a few down years like everyone else). The only buebloods are octopi. The rest is media hype. I personally find it irrelevant that Kentucky won championships in the 1940’s.

18-19 year old Kids don't remember uconn's glory days. They were 1, 4, 11, and 14 years old. In their memory, we stink.

I think you overestimate how much these kids follow college bball. Most kids are all about the NBA and BallisLife mixtapes.. what they know are the 30 second clips from SportsCenter.

Luckily, Hurley is doing a great job branding our history to recruits.

Reaction Score
18-19 year old Kids don't remember uconn's glory days. They were 1, 4, 11, and 14 years old. In their memory, we stink.

I think you overestimate how much these kids follow college bball. Most kids are all about the NBA and BallisLife mixtapes.. what they know are the 30 second clips from SportsCenter.

I disagree. In the area we recruit these kids are well aware of UConn’s pedigree. It’s why it makes and made so much sense to recruit the hell out of the northeast. When you branch off into other parts of the country your point holds more validity. But kids in NY, Jersey, Boston, and surrounding areas are well aware. They even idolize kids like Kemba, Bazz, eveb Drummond. They view UConn as a big time school

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Because 11 and 14 year old basketball players don't watch games or follow March Madness?

In any event when 18-19 year olds come into Werth and see the 4 national championship banners they probably are just confused and don't know what that means. Frankly they may not even notice them because they are so distracted by all the NBA banner hanging on the wall. Not that playing in the NBA really matters to these kids, am I right?

Reaction Score
Because 11 and 14 year old basketball players don't watch games or follow March Madness?

In any event when 18-19 year olds come into Werth and see the 4 national championship banners they probably are just confused and don't know what that means. Frankly they may not even notice them because they are so distracted by all the NBA banner hanging on the wall. Not that playing in the NBA really matters to these kids, am I right?

If these kids thought the UConn program stinks, we wouldn't be lining up this type of class. I'm sure these kids don't follow college hoops a ton but the brand is still strong.

Reaction Score

You're an idiot.

What you're describing is what I am saying UConn and Hurley is doing well--branding our history to recruits.

11-14 year olds obviously watch March Madness. But your average kid doesn't consider UConn a blue blood. Ollie did his work to ruin that possibility for the past 4 years. Nor do they care about our history in the tournament. They want to get to the NBA. Who do we have to show? Kemba and Drummond, really. Young kids don't really even remember #34. That's it. I'm sure Hurley and the staff are making our history much more well known to recruits. The athletic department has done a good job branding in NYC too. Part of the reason why we're able to reel in some higher rated guys still.

I work with and coach teenagers 5 or more days a week all year. I am well aware of the average kid's priorities.

Reaction Score
If these kids thought the UConn program stinks, we wouldn't be lining up this type of class. I'm sure these kids don't follow college hoops a ton but the brand is still strong.
People dont realize these kids dont have time to watch sports. They're already playing and practicing 24/7. When I was playing AAU baseball I watched maybe 1 baseball game per month.

Some kids are big fans and will watch because it's an interest, but for a lot of kids they couldn't be bothered

Reaction Score
You're an idiot.

What you're describing is what I am saying UConn and Hurley is doing well--branding our history to recruits.

11-14 year olds obviously watch March Madness. But your average kid doesn't consider UConn a blue blood. Ollie did his work to ruin that possibility for the past 4 years. Nor do they care about our history in the tournament. They want to get to the NBA. Who do we have to show? Kemba and Drummond, really. Young kids don't really even remember #34. That's it. I'm sure Hurley and the staff are making our history much more well known to recruits. The athletic department has done a good job branding in NYC too. Part of the reason why we're able to reel in some higher rated guys still.

I work with and coach teenagers 5 or more days a week all year. I am well aware of the average kid's priorities.
Average kids have probably never heard the term blue blood. But they did see what Kemba and Shabazz did in a 4 year span.

CL82

Reaction Score
You're an idiot.

I guess I could be an idiot, or maybe you are just insecure and name call when challenged. I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

Either way I will respectfully disagree that the average high school is unaware of UConn's success. I can tell you in my experience they watch the tournament and know our players. But what the heck, if you are still coaching kids in that age bracket ask them this afternoon whether they ever heard of UConn and see what they have to say about us. Ask them if they can name any UConn players or whether we've won any natties and post back to let us know their response.

Reaction Score
You're an idiot.

It sure seems to me he had his tongue way into his cheek.

Reaction Score

Lol @husky429. Shabazz and Kemba are still in the NBA. They definitely don't remember the first 2, but they definitely remember the 2nd two. Kids watch MORE sports when they're 11 and 14. I watched literally every sport and 3 hours of SportsCenter a day when I was that age. If they're watching mixtapes and house of highlights, they'll see Kemba going off and google where he went to school if they don't remember. The last 2 championships weren't "normal". Kemba and Bazz got more coverage than usual because of the unusual runs (and LeBron tweeting about Shabazz, etc.).

Reaction Score
I guess I could be an idiot, or maybe you are just insecure and name call when challenged. I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

Either way I will respectfully disagree that the average high school is unaware of UConn's success. I can tell you in my experience they watch the tournament and know our players. But what the heck, if you are still coaching kids in that age bracket ask them this afternoon whether they ever heard of UConn and see what they have to say about us. Ask them if they can name any UConn players or whether we've won any natties and post back to let us know their response.

Eh you're probably right. In a pissy mood today--my best player dislocated his knee. My bad.

I think what it boils down to is I know kids don't view uconn as a top school like kansas, unc, duke, kentucky, etc. Even nova. We're more like a non P5 Florida to them.

CL82

Reaction Score
Eh you're probably right. In a pissy mood today--my best player dislocated his knee. My bad.

I think what it boils down to is I know kids don't view uconn as a top school like kansas, unc, duke, kentucky, etc. Even nova. We're more like a non P5 Florida to them.
Sorry to hear it. Hope he/she heals quickly.

I'll agree that Kansas, UNC, Duke and Kentucky are all tough to recruit against. Of all of them only Duke and Kentucky really worry me though. We can compete against Kansas and North Carolina.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom