Practices start, extra excitement, and great quote from Geno... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Practices start, extra excitement, and great quote from Geno...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Opponents are going to find it hard trying to contain UConn from scoring 100 pts a game. I expect games to be slowed down to contain UConn. We have to many players who can put up big numbers. IMO this is why UConn is the best team in the country when healthy. Paige Azzi Aaliyah and Caroline can all lite it up big time. Opponents playing them one on one will be very difficult so I would expect teams to try and focus on keeping the score in the 60's which is not going to be easy. This team much like the Stewie teams is loaded and can Domin8 opponents.
Totally agree T-man! Teams will want to try to run 29 seconds of offense and then try to get a shot off. On defense, pack it in if possible. If not, I would think teams would try zone to try to force outside shots. Given the great shooters we have, that probably won't work. Then maybe play overly physical defense and foul ALL the time - especially hitting players as they are moving thru the lane.

If I were Geno I'd start working the officials NOW. The old "if you can't slow them down then beat them up" should not be allowed. Play a few games with 3 out of 5 starters fouling out in the first half and teams will stop that crap in a second. I absolutely detest the overly physical play teams try to spring on UCONN to slow them down when the other team is overmatched in every way.

Every year the NCAA has refs taught points of emphasis to watch out for. With a team as talented as UCONN, they should be looking for overly physical play.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
With apologies to the many faNIKAddics, I think it is important to listen carefully to Geno. He said her role would be to bring the ball to halfcourt pass it to a scorer "and get out of the way." In essence he is saying that we are spotting the opponents one player who needs to get out of the way. Of course if you have a player who has to get out of the way, that means she doesn't need to be defended leaving the other team with the ability to double team whomever they fear most of our remaining 4 players. That was what he was forced into last year by the injuries but this year he will have options. I have to believe that KK's ability to score will allow the team to compete without one hand tied behind behind it will compel Geno to limit Nika's minutes even if she remains a "starter."
Ouch. (some posts just make my head hurt)

giphy.gif

sun

Reaction Score
Every year the NCAA has refs taught points of emphasis to watch out for. With a team as talented as UCONN, they should be looking for overly physical play.
Do you mean that the refs should be looking out for physical play by Nika & Edwards? :D

Reaction Score
With apologies to the many faNIKAddics, I think it is important to listen carefully to Geno. He said her role would be to bring the ball to halfcourt pass it to a scorer "and get out of the way." In essence he is saying that we are spotting the opponents one player who needs to get out of the way. Of course if you have a player who has to get out of the way, that means she doesn't need to be defended leaving the other team with the ability to double team whomever they fear most of our remaining 4 players. That was what he was forced into last year by the injuries but this year he will have options. I have to believe that KK's ability to score will allow the team to compete without one hand tied behind behind it will compel Geno to limit Nika's minutes even if she remains a "starter."
I'd lke to have heard those comments he made in ordert to determine context. And we do know Geno is also known for a bit of exaggeration. As far as KK - she has to show she can shoot and defend. Being a better shooter than Nika but not shooting well enough along with not setting up teammates as well as Nika and not defending near as well as Nika won't get it done.

And going one-on-one while taking shots away from Paige, Azzi, Ducharme, and Edwards is probably a bad idea too.

I doubt KK is going to get more minutes than Nika unless injuries come up or Nika's shot tanks.. I believe Nika's minutes will be tied to her shooting if all players are healthy. And I believe if Ducharme is not healthy, then a strong chance KK gets significant minutes. Maybe even more than Nika because they might need scoring .

Reaction Score

Head bang

Reaction Score
Extrapolating a bit too much from Geno's off the cuff remark. Is it possible Geno was being facetious to some degree? Probably.

PvP

Reaction Score
I'd lke to have heard those comments he made in ordert to determine context. And we do know Geno is also known for a bit of exaggeration. As far as KK - she has to show she can shoot and defend. Being a better shooter than Nika but not shooting well enough along with not setting up teammates as well as Nika and not defending near as well as Nika won't get it done.

And going one-on-one while taking shots away from Paige, Azzi, Ducharme, and Edwards is probably a bad idea too.

I doubt KK is going to get more minutes than Nika unless injuries come up or Nika's shot tanks.. I believe Nika's minutes will be tied to her shooting if all players are healthy. And I believe if Ducharme is not healthy, then a strong chance KK gets significant minutes. Maybe even more than Nika because they might need scoring .
The comments were made in Geno's post-first practice which is readily available on YouTube. Also pay attention to his comments about KK being the "most consistent" of the freshmen and complementing her aggressive play while, of course, mentioning a few bad plays among the numerous good plays. Any complements from Geno amount to high praise.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just a thought. With so many players coming back from injury I would think more players will get more playtime giving those recovering from injuries some rest and time to continue to heal. In big games that may be different and Geno will coach accordingly. We have alot of talent and alot of that talent is inexperienced at the college level however they need to gain experience for later in the season and seasons following. Thank goodness we have alot of guards because with recovering Paige Azzi and Caroline they will need rest and time to heal.

Reaction Score
As a reminder, Aubrey, Paige, Aaliyah, Nika, and Azzi could all leave after this season. On the other hand, all of them could come back; Paige could play this year plus TWO more.
Paige could be done with her Master's before finishing playing for Geno!!

Reaction Score
The comments were made in Geno's post-first practice which is readily available on YouTube. Also pay attention to his comments about KK being the "most consistent" of the freshmen and complementing her aggressive play while, of course, mentioning a few bad plays among the numerous good plays. Any complements from Geno amount to high praise.
KK by far looked the most ready among the freshmen in Europe.

Reaction Score
Just a thought. With so many players coming back from injury I would think more players will get more playtime giving those recovering from injuries some rest and time to continue to heal. In big games that may be different and Geno will coach accordingly. We have alot of talent and alot of that talent is inexperienced at the college level however they need to gain experience for later in the season and seasons following. Thank goodness we have alot of guards because with recovering Paige Azzi and Caroline they will need rest and time to heal.
Tony I think it's a neccesity that Geno monitor their minutes, and give the bench/freshman more PT, even if there are growing pains.

Reaction Score
All injuries from last season other than DeBerry and Patterson are healed and ready to play normal time. If they weren’t the players wouldn’t be cleared 100% to practice. Remember, the practices are supposedly harder than the games.

Reaction Score
Thank goodness we have alot of guards because with recovering Paige Azzi and Caroline they will need rest and time to heal.
All injuries from last season other than DeBerry and Patterson are healed and ready to play normal time. If they weren’t the players wouldn’t be cleared 100% to practice.
I’m with @Tonyc on this one. Even 100% players get worn down by a long season. And I suspect all opponents will be looking to test how durable Paige & Co really are. In other words, they are liking to get the same treatment Lou got last season. Even if they don’t get re-injured they will get bruised up in games. Depth will make a difference in this respect especially.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m with @Tonyc on this one. Even 100% players get worn down by a long season. And I suspect all opponents will be looking to test how durable Paige & Co really are. In other words, they are liking to get the same treatment Lou got last season. Even if they don’t get re-injured they will get bruised up in games. Depth will make a difference in this respect especially.
Keep in mind that if opponents deliberately cross the line between tough physical play and “cheap shots”, UConn has a stable of enforcers (Aaliyah, Aubrey and Nika) who are more than capable of returning the favor. I am reminded of the tournament game several years back when Syracuse tried to mix it up with UConn, only to face the wrath of Kia Nurse, who almost ripped the arm off a Syracuse player, putting her out of the game with an injury.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
All injuries from last season other than DeBerry and Patterson are healed and ready to play normal time. If they weren’t the players wouldn’t be cleared 100% to practice. Remember, the practices are supposedly harder than the games.
True However being cleared to play does not always mean the injury is still tender. I know from my own experiences with injury. Being cleared 100% for practice is great however still proceed with caution.

Reaction Score
I still recall his comments after Taurasi left how well he thought all the players have grown. And then each subsequent year his assessments. But I'll listen- thanks!

And if she is the most consistent- so we take it more consistent than player's like Edwards? SO does this mean she'll get the most minutes on the team? Orf course not. And I've always felt freshmen are very vulnerable to losing confidence beucase of lack of experience throughout the season. Agree?

In re to coaching, years ago Jim Valvano, a commentator on ESPN (no longer coaching NC back then) at the time was asked about Rollie Massimino's new "Chuck-and-Duck" Offense that Rollie was using at the start of the season. Opposite of Rollie's past halfcourt style. Valvano laughed and said to para "Watch how long that will be." He went on to say - "wait until he loses his 1st game or a game is tight and see how long h keeps using it. Some of those chuck-and-ducks will result in bad shots. His coaching style was work for the good shot. He won't keep it up."

What ended up happening was after a certain game Jimmy V was right. And eventually no more "Chuck and Duck."

BTW, did Geno criticize anyone in the video?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that if opponents deliberately cross the line between tough physical play and “cheap shots”, UConn has a stable of enforcers (Aaliyah, Aubrey and Nika) who are more than capable of returning the favor. I am reminded of the tournament game several years back when Syracuse tried to mix it up with UConn, only to face the wrath of Kia Nurse, who almost ripped the arm off a Syracuse player, putting her out of the game with an injury.
I loved that. NOT that someone got injured, but if you plan to come into a game and play almost dirty - hacking and hard fouling figuring that the refs "can't call fouls on every play", then I'm all for enforcers. Stacy "Bam Bam" Hansmeyer and our own Jamelle are 2 early examples of players you didn't want to face the wrath of.

And I was not referring to cheap shots. Stef was famous for having bruises all over her body after certain games. It's basketball, not football.

If other teams want a rugby scrum, I'd also add in Ayanna who is more than capable of using her strength to set other players right. Ice is no frail flower either. I'll also be curious to see how KK and Ashlynn respond to play like that as well.

PvP

Reaction Score
I still recall his comments after Taurasi left how well he thought all the players have grown. And then each subsequent year his assessments. But I'll listen- thanks!

And if she is the most consistent- so we take it more consistent than player's like Edwards? SO does this mean she'll get the most minutes on the team? Orf course not. And I've always felt freshmen are very vulnerable to losing confidence beucase of lack of experience throughout the season. Agree?

In re to coaching, years ago Jim Valvano, a commentator on ESPN (no longer coaching NC back then) at the time was asked about Rollie Massimino's new "Chuck-and-Duck" Offense that Rollie was using at the start of the season. Opposite of Rollie's past halfcourt style. Valvano laughed and said to para "Watch how long that will be." He went on to say - "wait until he loses his 1st game or a game is tight and see how long h keeps using it. Some of those chuck-and-ducks will result in bad shots. His coaching style was work for the good shot. He won't keep it up."

What ended up happening was after a certain game Jimmy V was right. And eventually no more "Chuck and Duck."

He didn't say she was the most consistent player on the team. He said she was the most consistent of the freshmen. If you watched the 4 European games, you must have noticed her burst to the bucket that left defenders shaking their heads. I don't recall the exact numbers but she had either the most points of any Huskie or close thereto. She was aggressive on defense, had a lot of assists and Geno said the freshmen would "get a lot of minutes" and among them I expect KK to have the most. I don't expect her to take minutes from Paige or Azzi. She has a skill set that compares most favorably with Nika and I expect that difference to become more and more evident as the season progresses.

He did say that Shade was in the "afraid to make a mistake phase" and that Q needed to add more dimension to her game, both of which would be focuses of the coaches.

Reaction Score
Opponents are going to find it hard trying to contain UConn from scoring 100 pts a game. I expect games to be slowed down to contain UConn. We have to many players who can put up big numbers. IMO this is why UConn is the best team in the country when healthy. Paige Azzi Aaliyah and Caroline can all lite it up big time. Opponents playing them one on one will be very difficult so I would expect teams to try and focus on keeping the score in the 60's which is not going to be easy. This team much like the Stewie teams is loaded and can Domin8 opponents.
+1

According to Geno all the freshmen are good at is open court play so when the halftime score makes it plain who is going to win and Geno subs out, the players coming in are going to keep the tempo up. Geno will shut down the transition game but not the defense. Those 30 point leads after 3 will expand instead of contracting.

Reaction Score
He didn't say she was the most consistent player on the team. He said she was the most consistent of the freshmen. If you watched the 4 European games, you must have noticed her burst to the bucket that left defenders shaking their heads. I don't recall the exact numbers but she had either the most points of any Husky or close thereto. She was aggressive on defense, had a lot of assists and Geno said the freshmen would "get a lot of minutes" and among them I expect KK to have the most. I don't expect her to take minutes from Paige or Azzi. She has a skill set that compares most favorably with Nika and I expect that difference to become more and more evident as the season progresses.

He did say that Shade was in the "afraid to make a mistake phase" and that Q needed to add more dimension to her game, both of which would be focuses of the coaches.
KK is somewhat bigger version of Crystal D............she may also be one of the quickest guards in the college game.......... If she improves the consistency of her outside shooting, she will be incredibly difficult to defend.........she also lives for the steal.......I look forward to watching her annoy numerous opposing players and coaches at both ends of the court......;)

Reaction Score

I didn't hear any. There have been years when October brought out Geno the critic but he seems strangely calm. I think he and I see the same things about this team.

Reaction Score
I think @Tonyc is right to think we'll see a few 100+ point games this season. Any one of Paige Azzi Aaliyah can go off for 30+ on any given night, and I suspect at least 5 players will average >10 pts/g. And if Nika merely bumps her offensive production from 7.1 to 10 pts/g, she could average a double double. I have a feeling she won't get enough minutes to do it, but it's not impossible. And that would be next to the double double Aaliyah is likely to average.

As for KK, she is quick like Crystal and MoJeff and she has no fear of driving the lane among the bigs. And she does it with a few inches on the other speedsters currently in D1. The question mark for me is Inês -- she is a speedster too, but she hasn't shown the confidence level KK already has. I wonder if some of that will rub off on her from playing with KK in practice.

When I picture what the team will look like in the 1st quarter, I see echoes of the Texas and NC St. games from last season, with Nika scaring the daylights out of opponents on D, finding Aubrey and Aaliyah on the break, and finding Paige and Azzi on the perimeter. It'd be a 'shock and awe' campaign for 10 mins. Then bring in KK Ice and Caroline and you have a totally different look. Slip Ayanna Ashlynn Inês and Qadence in here and there in the 2nd quarter, all running like mad things, and opponent's heads will be spinning. Start the 3rd quarter with the first team at the beginning of the 3rd quarter, and let Nika and Aubrey disrupt the opposing coaches retooled game plan (remember the Tennessee game two years ago?) and Paige Azzi and Aaliyah will pick them apart. I love thinking about how much energy they could bring to the floor. And let the 4th quarter belong to Ice and Amari playing high-low, blocking shots and owning the paint. There are just so many possibilities, not just because they are basketball players (as Geno loves to say) but mainly because they will be a TEAM, in the great husky tradition. They will find each other in the mayhem they create.

Is it November yet?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom