Practices start, extra excitement, and great quote from Geno... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Practices start, extra excitement, and great quote from Geno...

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that if opponents deliberately cross the line between tough physical play and “cheap shots”, UConn has a stable of enforcers (Aaliyah, Aubrey and Nika) who are more than capable of returning the favor. I am reminded of the tournament game several years back when Syracuse tried to mix it up with UConn, only to face the wrath of Kia Nurse, who almost ripped the arm off a Syracuse player, putting her out of the game with an injury.
And Bam Bam. Don't forget Bam Bam.

Reaction Score
I loved that. NOT that someone got injured, but if you plan to come into a game and play almost dirty - hacking and hard fouling figuring that the refs "can't call fouls on every play", then I'm all for enforcers. Stacy "Bam Bam" Hansmeyer and our own Jamelle are 2 early examples of players you didn't want to face the wrath of.

And I was not referring to cheap shots. Stef was famous for having bruises all over her body after certain games. It's basketball, not football.

If other teams want a rugby scrum, I'd also add in Ayanna who is more than capable of using her strength to set other players right. Ice is no frail flower either. I'll also be curious to see how KK and Ashlynn respond to play like that as well.
I wouldn't want to meet a really p***ed off Nika in a dark alley.

Reaction Score
I think @Tonyc is right to think we'll see a few 100+ point games this season. Any one of Paige Azzi Aaliyah can go off for 30+ on any given night, and I suspect at least 5 players will average >10 pts/g. And if Nika merely bumps her offensive production from 7.1 to 10 pts/g, she could average a double double. I have a feeling she won't get enough minutes to do it, but it's not impossible. And that would be next to the double double Aaliyah is likely to average.

As for KK, she is quick like Crystal and MoJeff and she has no fear of driving the lane among the bigs. And she does it with a few inches on the other speedsters currently in D1. The question mark for me is Inês -- she is a speedster too, but she hasn't shown the confidence level KK already has. I wonder if some of that will rub off on her from playing with KK in practice.

When I picture what the team will look like in the 1st quarter, I see echoes of the Texas and NC St. games from last season, with Nika scaring the daylights out of opponents on D, finding Aubrey and Aaliyah on the break, and finding Paige and Azzi on the perimeter. It'd be a 'shock and awe' campaign for 10 mins. Then bring in KK Ice and Caroline and you have a totally different look. Slip Ayanna Ashlynn Inês and Qadence in here and there in the 2nd quarter, all running like mad things, and opponent's heads will be spinning. Start the 3rd quarter with the first team at the beginning of the 3rd quarter, and let Nika and Aubrey disrupt the opposing coaches retooled game plan (remember the Tennessee game two years ago?) and Paige Azzi and Aaliyah will pick them apart. I love thinking about how much energy they could bring to the floor. And let the 4th quarter belong to Ice and Amari playing high-low, blocking shots and owning the paint. There are just so many possibilities, not just because they are basketball players (as Geno loves to say) but mainly because they will be a TEAM, in the great husky tradition. They will find each other in the mayhem they create.

Is it November yet?
Not quite November, but we can call October: "November's Eve'"

I am liking the pictures you are "painting" and can't wait to she AE, ICE, Ayanna, and Amari (with her new found height :D, and desire to dominate with an inside/outside game [declaring this into existence today :cool:]) working in the paint, and PB, Azzi, Nika, KK, and company slashing through the paint without missing a layup because of the frequency they will achiieve in games because of all the high IQs and skill sets on the floor!

Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
Not quite November, but we can call October: "November's Eve'"

I am liking the pictures you are "painting" and can't wait to she AE, ICE, Ayanna, and Amari (with her new found height :D, and desire to dominate with an inside/outside game [declaring this into existence today :cool:]) working in the paint, and PB, Azzi, Nika, KK, and company slashing through the paint without missing a layup because of the frequency they will achiieve in games because of all the high IQs and skill sets on the floor!

Go Huskies!!!
Speaking of new found height, I noticed ESPN finally updated their roster info for the new season. Several things were interesting. Paige listed a 6-0, Nika at 5-11, Amari at 6-6 and Jana at 6-5. All those are an inch more than previous listed heights. Q was listed at 6-0 as she has been for a while, but of course her height in HS was probably overstated at 6-2.

If it truly represents additional growth that would be pretty encouraging. I think we have known for some time that Paige was bigger than 5-11, and Azzi, for example, but maybe the others have added a little. I haven't checked the official Uconn site yet to see if these are the heights listed there.

sun

Reaction Score
Speaking of new found height, I noticed ESPN finally updated their roster info for the new season. Several things were interesting. Paige listed a 6-0, Nika at 5-11, Amari at 6-6 and Jana at 6-5. All those are an inch more than previous listed heights. Q was listed at 6-0 as she has been for a while, but of course her height in HS was probably overstated at 6-2.

If it truly represents additional growth that would be pretty encouraging. I think we have known for some time that Paige was bigger than 5-11, and Azzi, for example, but maybe the others have added a little. I haven't checked the official Uconn site yet to see if these are the heights listed there.
Maybe that's their height wihen wearing basketball shoes & not growth.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I think @Tonyc is right to think we'll see a few 100+ point games this season.

...When I picture what the team will look like in the 1st quarter, I see echoes of the Texas and NC St. games from last season, with Nika scaring the daylights out of opponents on D, finding Aubrey and Aaliyah on the break, and finding Paige and Azzi on the perimeter. It'd be a 'shock and awe' campaign for 10 mins. Then bring in KK Ice and Caroline and you have a totally different look. Slip Ayanna Ashlynn Inês and Qadence in here and there in the 2nd quarter, all running like mad things, and opponent's heads will be spinning. Start the 3rd quarter with the first team at the beginning of the 3rd quarter, and let Nika and Aubrey disrupt the opposing coaches retooled game plan .... and Paige Azzi and Aaliyah will pick them apart. I love thinking about how much energy they could bring to the floor. And let the 4th quarter belong to Ice and Amari playing high-low, blocking shots and owning the paint. .... they will be a TEAM, in the great husky tradition. They will find each other in the mayhem they create.
holy cow! you've got me worrying i'll be so fed up with the impending winter-long stretch of boring-as-crap, non-competitive basketball 'shows' that i'll have to find some excitement elsewhere -- maybe brushing up on my solitaire skills can fill the bill.

gee whiz, bone dog, what a terrible future.

i'd prefer some challenges for the huskies on the way to another undefeated season.

Reaction Score

All these height discrepancies would be cleared up if there was universal adoption of 'Hartley units'

Reaction Score
He didn't say she was the most consistent player on the team. He said she was the most consistent of the freshmen. If you watched the 4 European games, you must have noticed her burst to the bucket that left defenders shaking their heads. I don't recall the exact numbers but she had either the most points of any Husky or close thereto. She was aggressive on defense, had a lot of assists and Geno said the freshmen would "get a lot of minutes" and among them I expect KK to have the most. I don't expect her to take minutes from Paige or Azzi. She has a skill set that compares most favorably with Nika and I expect that difference to become more and more evident as the season progresses.

He did say that Shade was in the "afraid to make a mistake phase" and that Q needed to add more dimension to her game, both of which would be focuses of the coaches.
So, if she wasn't the most consistent on the team but only as a forsh what was your point about her vs Nika? Nika isn't a frosh so how is it that you are tying KK being consistent as a frosh vs less minutes for Nika? I think you are taking Geno's comments way way too literal- and for someone like Geno known to exaggerate a lot - way too much literal.

As Digger replied to you, the Texas coach had an emphasis at some point to deny Nika the ball this pst year. And you could listen to the presser from Dawn after UConn vs South Carolina in which she stated one of the keys for South Carolina late was that they were denying Nika the ball.

Geno's comment of "Get out of the way," in context is in sharp contrast to the opposing hall of fame coaches deliberately trying/looking to "deny Nika the ball." That's why the 5 on 4 comment you made seems more like "dislike Nika Muhl," rather than reality. You specifically said she doesn’t need to be defended yet HOF coaches during games you watched are actively working to deny her the ball. That is not in realiity "get out of the way . . .".

Also, in regard to this summer, IMO there has to be an understanding that UCONN was playing exhibition games. Exhibition. Exhibition. Please let's not carried away with Exhibition. Anyhow I do think KK will get decent minutes but I believe a lot of it will be due to Ducharme being so questionable.

And if KK's offense is truly very very good then during games in which UCONN is winning comfortably in which they could rest Paige and/or Azzi -- then Nika could pass to a player like KK (and Nika can then get out of the way :)) too in which they both get minutes.

Reaction Score
I didn't hear any. There have been years when October brought out Geno the critic but he seems strangely calm. I think he and I see the same things about this team.

If he is not criticizing at all-- then how much stock should we put into his pre-season comments after for example just 1 practice? IMO very, very little. No team is perfect. Especially not for the greatest coach in wcbb history.

Reaction Score
So, if she wasn't the most consistent on the team but only as a forsh what was your point about her vs Nika? Nika isn't a frosh so how is it that you are tying KK being consistent as a frosh vs less minutes for Nika? I think you are taking Geno's comments way way too literal- and for someone like Geno known to exaggerate a lot - way too much literal.

As Digger replied to you, the Texas coach had an emphasis at some point to deny Nika the ball this pst year. And you could listen to the presser from Dawn after UConn vs South Carolina in which she stated one of the keys for South Carolina late was that they were denying Nika the ball.

Geno's comment of "Get out of the way," in context is in sharp contrast to the opposing hall of fame coaches deliberately trying/looking to "deny Nika the ball." That's why the 5 on 4 comment you made seems more like "dislike Nika Muhl," rather than reality. You specifically said she doesn’t need to be defended yet HOF coaches during games you watched are actively working to deny her the ball. That is not in realiity "get out of the way . . .".

Also, in regard to this summer, IMO there has to be an understanding that UCONN was playing exhibition games. Exhibition. Exhibition. Please let's not carried away with Exhibition. Anyhow I do think KK will get decent minutes but I believe a lot of it will be due to Ducharme being so questionable.

And if KK's offense is truly very very good then during games in which UCONN is winning comfortably in which they could rest Paige and/or Azzi -- then Nika could pass to a player like KK (and Nika can then get out of the way :)) too in which they both get minutes.
Those coaches are trying to deny Nika because of her passing. They’re not afraid of her scoring! I got in on this late but I’m guessing the poster you are referring to, was saying she didn’t need to be defended from shooting. Which is true, to date, she has not been much of a scoring threat.
Once she passes the ball, defenses tend to sag off of her as they are not afraid of her shooting! Whereas they cannot do that with Paige, Azzi, Caroline etc. She got better last year however, and I am hopeful she will be even better this season. If she can put a little fear in our opponents as a scorer, as well as a distributor, we will be a much better team.

Reaction Score
Those coaches are trying to deny Nika because of her passing. They’re not afraid of her scoring! I got in on this late but I’m guessing the poster you are referring to, was saying she didn’t need to be defended from shooting. Which is true, to date, she has not been much of a scoring threat.
Once she passes the ball, defenses tend to sag off of her as they are not afraid of her shooting! Whereas they cannot do that with Paige, Azzi, Caroline etc. She got better last year however, and I am hopeful she will be even better this season. If she can put a little fear in our opponents as a scorer, as well as a distributor, we will be a much better team.
But if you leave her wide open to pass - she can pick the lane to get the ball to the scorer being completely unimpeded to make the pass. For example, on here we've heard from some posters stating how Paige and Azzi can get double-teamed. with Nika in They really can't if Paige/Azzi are in a motion offense and aren't initiating the play. Guards on the perimeter running off of picks and moving as much as they do rarely can be double-teamed. So, it's the same scenario - -> it's not 5 on 4.

PvP

Reaction Score

I guess we agree to disagree. Fortunately the actual play will determine who was correct.

Reaction Score

Geno's comment of "Get out of the way," in context is in sharp contrast to the opposing hall of fame coaches deliberately trying/looking to "deny Nika the ball."
That's why the 5 on 4 comment you made seems more like "dislike Nika Muhl," rather than reality. You specifically said she doesn’t need to be defended yet HOF coaches during games you watched are actively working to deny her the ball. That is not in realiity "get out of the way . . .".

I think that people forget that for much of the season Muhl was the only guard in the rotation. Bettencourt was too raw and Senechal was a wing. The denial strategy was to put the ball in the hands of UConn's non-guards. It made perfect sense last season but I doubt we'll see it used this year.

Reaction Score
I think that people forget that for much of the season Muhl was the only guard in the rotation. Bettencourt was too raw and Senechal was a wing. The denial strategy was to put the ball in the hands of UConn's non-guards. It made perfect sense last season but I doubt we'll see it used this year.
Yes bu tthere were comments made on here saying it was like 5 on 4. That wasn't an accurate statement. There tends to be inaccurate statements made agaianst Muhl moreso than anyone in recent memory. Regardless how many points she scored, there were HOF coaches activley trying to deny her the ball.

That's not "5 on 4."

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
In the Texas game the denial of Muhl put the ball in the hands of Fudd, who many thought should have been the point guard last year. Fudd went on to score 30 points in that game, but she also scored 30 in the next game playing only off the ball.

On the other hand Fudd had 4 assists and 7 turnovers in her brief stint as lead guard against Texas, while Muhl had 9 assists, mostly in the first half when she was lead guard, and 3 turnovers. Albeit based on a limited sample size those back to back games revealed that whether Fudd was on ball or off ball did not matter for the guard’s production. However, the offense ran more efficiently with Muhl as the lead guard.

During our early stretch of games against decent competition there was indeed a choice of guards, both of whom various posters thought were PG material. Muhl was the one chosen and she was efficient enough with shooting, and certainly with passing, that she had to be guarded.

Reaction Score
Opponents are going to find it hard trying to contain UConn from scoring 100 pts a game. I expect games to be slowed down to contain UConn. We have to many players who can put up big numbers. IMO this is why UConn is the best team in the country when healthy. Paige Azzi Aaliyah and Caroline can all lite it up big time. Opponents playing them one on one will be very difficult so I would expect teams to try and focus on keeping the score in the 60's which is not going to be easy. This team much like the Stewie teams is loaded and can Domin8 opponents.
I'm an unsophisticated poster and not sure how to set up a poll-post.

To the matter at hand and TonyC's opinion on UConn scoring 100+ pts, I'm putting the O/U at 6.5 games.

Reaction Score
Yes bu tthere were comments made on here saying it was like 5 on 4. That wasn't an accurate statement. There tends to be inaccurate statements made agaianst Muhl moreso than anyone in recent memory. Regardless how many points she scored, there were HOF coaches activley trying to deny her the ball.

That's not "5 on 4."

Sorry but I refuse to get into that self-destructive discussion. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
In the Texas game the denial of Muhl put the ball in the hands of Fudd, who many thought should have been the point guard last year. Fudd went on to score 30 points in that game, but she also scored 30 in the next game playing only off the ball.

On the other hand Fudd had 4 assists and 7 turnovers in her brief stint as lead guard against Texas, while Muhl had 9 assists, mostly in the first half when she was lead guard, and 3 turnovers. Albeit based on a limited sample size those back to back games revealed that whether Fudd was on ball or off ball did not matter for the guard’s production. However, the offense ran more efficiently with Muhl as the lead guard.

During our early stretch of games against decent competition there was indeed a choice of guards, both of whom various posters thought were PG material. Muhl was the one chosen and she was efficient enough with shooting, and certainly with passing, that she had to be guarded.

Good points. The pts assists and TO stats may be miss-leading. How many of Fudd's assists were due to Muhl making a basket? Compare that to how many of Muhl's assists were due to baskets made by Fudd.
I have been a Muhl fan since day one and was one of the few who thought she could succeed starting after Bueckers went down. Last year she had a bunch of efficient scorers to pass to. Fudd (for 15 games), Senechal, Edwards and Juhasz. To her credit she took advantage of that.
I haven't a doubt that Fudd could lead UConn to a title playing the point. She's as good at the point as Bueckers is at the off-guard position and that's very very good.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Good points. The pts assists and TO stats may be miss-leading. How many of Fudd's assists were due to Muhl making a basket? Compare that to how many of Muhl's assists were due to baskets made by Fudd.
I have been a Muhl fan since day one and was one of the few who thought she could succeed starting after Bueckers went down. Last year she had a bunch of efficient scorers to pass to. Fudd (for 15 games), Senechal, Edwards and Juhasz. To her credit she took advantage of that.
I haven't a doubt that Fudd could lead UConn to a title playing the point. She's as good at the point as Bueckers is at the off-guard position and that's very very good.
Not only has Fudd’s A/T ratio been consistently and significantly less than Muhl’s as Huskies, her assists per minute is consistently less than any other guard. Fudd is in the line up to score, not to distribute, as she should be. Her decision making throughout her career has been that of a scorer, as it should be. In contrast, Bueckers still manages to rack up assists when in the line up with Muhl.

You often qualify Muhl’s ability by citing efficient scorers as teammates, as if good shooters is something new at UConn. Tamika Williams has the shooting percentage record. Cash, Taurasi and Jones all very good at shooting. Last year’s team was by no means the greatest shooting team for UConn percentage wise, nor in possessions per game, yet Muhl still set the assists record. Crediting her success to the good fortune of having good shooters as teammates is a clever argument, but does not hold true in comparison to other great UConn teams with great point guards like Bird, Montgomery and Jefferson.

Please present whatever tangible evidence you have that Fudd would be as good at point as Bueckers at off guard. Simply saying so does not make it true, and I am unaware of any data/evidence/experiences that supports that claim. To reiterate, her whole career Fudd has shown the mindset of a scorer, which she absolutely should. Suddenly anointing her a championship level point guard simply because she is highly skilled is a claim without any support.

Reaction Score
Not only has Fudd’s A/T ratio been consistently and significantly less than Muhl’s as Huskies, her assists per minute is consistently less than any other guard. Fudd is in the line up to score, not to distribute, as she should be. Her decision making throughout her career has been that of a scorer, as it should be. In contrast, Bueckers still manages to rack up assists when in the line up with Muhl.

You often qualify Muhl’s ability by citing efficient scorers as teammates, as if good shooters is something new at UConn. Tamika Williams has the shooting percentage record. Cash, Taurasi and Jones all very good at shooting. Last year’s team was by no means the greatest shooting team for UConn percentage wise, nor in possessions per game, yet Muhl still set the assists record. Crediting her success to the good fortune of having good shooters as teammates is a clever argument, but does not hold true in comparison to other great UConn teams with great point guards like Bird, Montgomery and Jefferson.

Please present whatever tangible evidence you have that Fudd would be as good at point as Bueckers at off guard. Simply saying so does not make it true, and I am unaware of any data/evidence/experiences that supports that claim. To reiterate, her whole career Fudd has shown the mindset of a scorer, which she absolutely should. Suddenly anointing her a championship level point guard simply because she is highly skilled is a claim without any support.

Both Fudd and Bueckers went to the U17 tryouts as pg's. Both made the team. Fudd started at pg and Bueckers started at the off-guard. It may be old evidence but the fact remains that the USA coaches thought Fudd made a better pg than Bueckers. As far as I'm concerned, Bueckers is the best pg to come along in a long long time, maybe ever. So just to be considered in her class by coaches tells me all I have to know. Just watch some of the U17 games.

I rest my case. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom