Practices start, extra excitement, and great quote from Geno... | The Boneyard

Practices start, extra excitement, and great quote from Geno...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

“We're actually starting way earlier than we've ever started,” Auriemma said. “I just felt like kids were really excited, ‘Let's get started, let's get started.’”

"...But we have a long time to fix it. But I liked what I saw when we were at our best. That looked really, really good. And when we were at our worst, that's why God invented red wine.” :D

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Listening to Geno's press availability, I thought that he gave an unintentional clue about the probable starting lineup when he was answering a question about Nika's role. When asked what he thought Nika's role would be, he said (near-exact paraphrase) that she should dribble to half court, then pass to Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah or Ice -- and be prepared for Paige to make some passes as well.

So does that mean that those five players are the ones he is thinking about (right now) as the probable starting lineup? I think it does. Certainly, one needs to make allowances for the fact that Jana is out for the season and Amari, Ayanna, and Aubrey are currently dealing with minor injuries and thus aren't practicing. But, at a minimum, his comment seems to endorse a "two-big" starting lineup with Aaliyah and Ice as the front runners for those two slots. It also seems to suggest that Nika will be handling the ball and starting the offense, with Paige and Azzi (initially) off the ball.

Reaction Score
What I thought was interesting was his comment that while many people think he only plays 6 players he has played as many as 10 and it's looking like that this year. He also said that the team looked best in a pressure defense and an aggressive/open court offense. That could mean up-tempo basketball, something that we rarely saw in the last few years. And some meaningful minutes for the freshmen.

Reaction Score
What I thought was interesting was his comment that while many people think he only plays 6 players he has played as many as 10 and it's looking like that this year. He also said that the team looked best in a pressure defense and an aggressive/open court offense. That could mean up-tempo basketball, something that we rarely saw in the last few years. And some meaningful minutes for the freshmen.
I also thought that was interesting this early in the process. I had hoped that he would play an extended rotation, press and run a lot, but didn't expect Geno to sound like he has committed to that this early. It appears he has seen enough from all the freshmen to consider them rotation ready, which is a pretty major vote of confidence when they are just getting started with practice.

Reaction Score
As a reminder, Aubrey, Paige, Aaliyah, Nika, and Azzi could all leave after this season. On the other hand, all of them could come back; Paige could play this year plus TWO more.
For the 4 Seniors I think they will go on to the WNBA after the season. They have been great stewards of the UCONN WBB program and it is now their time to make their mark on the pro game. Players like Paige and Caitlin Clark are the kind of personalities that can transform the league and the league needs them. I think Azzi will be around for her Senior year and they have a great supporting cast for her now with some great talents coming in. With that said there is a great season to watch before any of that will matter.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I believe we did have up tempo basketball when Nika was in the line-up.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
1--- The health of Paige, Azzi, and Caroline will determine how much bench he uses.

2--- Nika Muhl's 3pt shot will determine how many minutes she gets and how much bench he uses.
No 1. I agree
No. 2 she shot 34% from 3pt range, behind only behind Aaliyah at 100% (1-1) and Lou at 44%
And was 2nd in the country in asst with 284.
Throw in 2 time BE defensive player of the year, her minutes will drop bcus there's fresh legs on the bench this year not bcus of lack of production.

Reaction Score
As a reminder, Aubrey, Paige, Aaliyah, Nika, and Azzi could all leave after this season. On the other hand, all of them could come back; Paige could play this year plus TWO more.
Is Azzi going to be draft eligible after only her junior year?

Reaction Score
I guess I’m just dense but I just don’t get how Paige could play three more years? She played two, missed last year, oh wait…. So this is her senior year, she has a covid year, so is the third one a redshirt year? Is that officially allowed or would they simply count her covid year as her redshirt year? Anyone know for sure?

Reaction Score
I guess I’m just dense but I just don’t get how Paige could play three more years? She played two, missed last year, oh wait…. So this is her senior year, she has a covid year, so is the third one a redshirt year? Is that officially allowed or would they simply count her covid year as her redshirt year? Anyone know for sure?
Not until it is requested AFTER her CoViD year... Medical Redshirts have to be requested, and can be denied.

Reaction Score
It's pretty simple. She has this coming season, her redshirt season from last year, and her covid season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Yes, Azzi will turn 22 on Nov. 11, 2024. Having a 22nd birthday in 2024 makes a player eligible for the 2024 WNBA draft. I don’t think Azzi will leave if she hasn’t completed her degree, but she will be draft eligible.

Reaction Score
No 1. I agree
No. 2 she shot 34% from 3pt range, behind only behind Aaliyah at 100% (1-1) and Lou at 44%
Throw in 2 time BE defensive player of the year, her minutes will drop bcus there's fresh legs on the bench this year not bcus of lack of production.
Regarding #2 -

1--- already know she can pass terrific.
2-- already she knows can defend great
3-- she shot 34+% from 3 despite having tired legs so there is little concern of tired legs affecting her.
4-- If Caroline is healthy, she is an all-American caliber type of candidate.

The All-American candidate (Caroline) if healthy is a better player than Nika. If healthy UCONN is going to have a lot of blowouts so no one gets a lot in those games other than more goes to the top players. However, in big games with a threat to lose, the three all-American caliber perimeter players are A/A caliber for a reason. They aren't just "good" – they are to varying degrees “great.” That’s what an A/A is to varying degrees. So, if they are "better" -then why wouldn’t Geno give the better players a lot of minutes in big games especially if Nika isn't shooting well throughout the season?

On the flipside if Nika shoots great from three, she becomes an extremely special player because she makes the offense a ton more efficient in addition to her defense would probably help push pace.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Listening to Geno's press availability, I thought that he gave an unintentional clue about the probable starting lineup when he was answering a question about Nika's role. When asked what he thought Nika's role would be, he said (near-exact paraphrase) that she should dribble to half court, then pass to Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah or Ice -- and be prepared for Paige to make some passes as well.

So does that mean that those five players are the ones he is thinking about (right now) as the probable starting lineup? I think it does. Certainly, one needs to make allowances for the fact that Jana is out for the season and Amari, Ayanna, and Aubrey are currently dealing with minor injuries and thus aren't practicing. But, at a minimum, his comment seems to endorse a "two-big" starting lineup with Aaliyah and Ice as the front runners for those two slots. It also seems to suggest that Nika will be handling the ball and starting the offense, with Paige and Azzi (initially) off the ball.
That would be a great starting lineup. We've known for quite some time that Muhl, The Kid, Fudd and Edwards were going to start (as long as healthy). It was always who's the fifth? Griffin, CFD or Ice. I'd like it if Ice is playing well enough to start.

Reaction Score
There's a certain freshman who always makes me smile: #2 leads off a shortie:

You gotta love #2. She’s gonna create some havoc on the court this season. But she’s not the only one, and maybe not the biggest surprise. I have a feeling about Qadence and what a little attention from Geno and CD might mean for her game. And no one should forget about Ashlynn, the little engine that could. She has the heart to carry this team and I suspect she’ll end up doing just that over the next 4 seasons.

4 years from now we will look back at the core of KK Ashlynn Qadence Ice Ayanna and Jana and think “What a great run!” And right behind them will be Morgan and Allie and Kelis. Oh the times they’ll have together!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Opponents are going to find it hard trying to contain UConn from scoring 100 pts a game. I expect games to be slowed down to contain UConn. We have to many players who can put up big numbers. IMO this is why UConn is the best team in the country when healthy. Paige Azzi Aaliyah and Caroline can all lite it up big time. Opponents playing them one on one will be very difficult so I would expect teams to try and focus on keeping the score in the 60's which is not going to be easy. This team much like the Stewie teams is loaded and can Domin8 opponents.

PvP

Reaction Score
No 1. I agree

PvP

Reaction Score
With apologies to the many faNIKAddics, I think it is important to listen carefully to Geno. He said her role would be to bring the ball to halfcourt pass it to a scorer "and get out of the way." In essence he is saying that we are spotting the opponents one player who needs to get out of the way. Of course if you have a player who has to get out of the way, that means she doesn't need to be defended leaving the other team with the ability to double team whomever they fear most of our remaining 4 players. That was what he was forced into last year by the injuries but this year he will have options. I have to believe that KK's ability to score will allow the team to compete without one hand tied behind behind it will compel Geno to limit Nika's minutes even if she remains a "starter."

Reaction Score
Opponents are going to find it hard trying to contain UConn from scoring 100 pts a game. I expect games to be slowed down to contain UConn. We have to many players who can put up big numbers. IMO this is why UConn is the best team in the country when healthy. Paige Azzi Aaliyah and Caroline can all lite it up big time. Opponents playing them one on one will be very difficult so I would expect teams to try and focus on keeping the score in the 60's which is not going to be easy. This team much like the Stewie teams is loaded and can Domin8 opponents.
A healthy Caroline would do wonders for this team. If she is healthy all season, we will be tough to beat at all. Her game is not like anyone else’s on our team and just adding her versatility puts us over the top I believe. Unfortunately I don’t believe she plays a full year. Crossing my fingers on that one but Europe showed me all I needed to see. If she’s still getting hit in her head and needed time off in Europe, than that’s what I expect this entire season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom