Postgrad Watch 3.0 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Postgrad Watch 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Has anybody heard anything on Jaylen Adams or Matt Mobley? If we're still in the market for a shooter, I don't think we do much better than Mobley - he shot 38% last season on over 7 attempts per game. He put in 28 against Florida, 20 against Dayton, and 34 against VCU. The Bonnies finished 91st in KenPom, which is four spots ahead of us.

My guess is Mobley could shoot in the 45% range playing alongside Adams - our guy - and Gilbert. They'd be stress-free looks in fewer minutes compared to what he's used to. He grew up about an hour from campus so I don't know if there would be any interest or not. Seems like Sterling Gibbs part two.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Has anybody heard anything on Jaylen Adams or Matt Mobley? If we're still in the market for a shooter, I don't think we do much better than Mobley - he shot 38% last season on over 7 attempts per game. He put in 28 against Florida, 20 against Dayton, and 34 against VCU. The Bonnies finished 91st in KenPom, which is four spots ahead of us.

My guess is Mobley could shoot in the 45% range playing alongside Adams - our guy - and Gilbert. They'd be stress-free looks in fewer minutes compared to what he's used to. He grew up about an hour from campus so I don't know if there would be any interest or not. Seems like Sterling Gibbs part two.
Seems very unlikely Mobley will do a postgrad year elsewhere, from what I've heard.

Reaction Score
I love the irony of people worrying about depth at center and say we wasted a scholarship on Cobb. Are people even watching the NCAA tournament? A lot of teams with 6'9" space eaters at the 5. I think Durham will be solid and put on some muscle too since he's finally not injured.
I know Durham has basketball skills and can contribute but what makes you think he can put on muscle in the offseason? Kids that age and body type have a hard time of that just like Brimah and Facey did. I bet no more than 10 lbs when we see him in September and it won't be noticeable on a 6'11" kid. BTW, I don't think Cobb is wasted for a ship.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I know Durham has basketball skills and can contribute but what makes you think he can put on muscle in the offseason? Kids that age and body type have a hard time of that just like Brimah and Facey did. I bet no more than 10 lbs when we see him in September and it won't be noticeable on a 6'11" kid. BTW, I don't think Cobb is wasted for a ship.

Don't think he needs to to be an impact player. Don't get me wrong, I (and KO and staff and Durham) want him to do so, but it's not going to kill him. Quickness and awareness at his position will do far more for baskets, rebounds and D than anything.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Unless they see a guy they have to get I'd like them to hang on to the schollie for the next year. Sniper? Yes. Burly rebounder at the 4 -5? Yes please.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Just saw that Hans Brase is leaving Princeton and will have a sixth year of eligiblity. He's missed almost two full seasons with injury, and I know that Caruso is the Princeton guy @Matrim55 is high on, but he put up Shonn Miller rebounding and shooting numbers in his last full year in the Ivy. He's also quite the 3-point shooter. He may not be exactly what we're looking for, but on a board where multiple pages were devoted to discussing whether or not Terrence Samuel should get the last scholarship, I figured it'd be worth bringing him up.

Hans Brase

Reaction Score
Just saw that Hans Brase is leaving Princeton and will have a sixth year of eligiblity. He's missed almost two full seasons with injury, and I know that Caruso is the Princeton guy @Matrim55 is high on, but he put up Shonn Miller rebounding and shooting numbers in his last full year in the Ivy. He's also quite the 3-point shooter. He may not be exactly what we're looking for, but on a board where multiple pages were devoted to discussing whether or not Terrence Samuel should get the last scholarship, I figured it'd be worth bringing him up.

Hans Brase
Didn't Shonn average like 17-9 his last year? 11-8 arent quite the same

Reaction Score
He wouldn't be my first option but he was second in the Ivy League in defensive rebound % a couple years ago.

Reaction Score
So Rice's coach is off to VCU and their leading scorer, guard Marcus Evans, is also transferring. Could make it easier for Koulechov to leave

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
So Rice's coach is off to VCU and their leading scorer, guard Marcus Evans, is also transferring. Could make it easier for Koulechov to leave

You've got an unbelievable hard-on for this Russkie.

Reaction Score
Terence Samuel 2014 stats, 2013-14 UConn Huskies Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com: 9th on the team in minutes played with 9.0 per game; 9th on the team in points with 1.4 per game; 12th on the team in rebounds with 0.9 per game. For a "sixth" man he's awfully 9th-12th ish.

Year long averages don't tell the story with him, because he spent most of the year out of the rotation and barely playing. It was only in mid-February that KO finally gave up on Omar, kept him nailed to the bench and started playing T Sam regularly.

Reaction Score
Between Jalen, Alterique, Vital and Makai I am not concerned about our guard play entering next season. As nice as it sounds to add Koulechov to the roster I worry about the implications it may have on chemistry. Vital played his way into a starting role next year, or at least a fight for it vs. Gilbert. I am not speculating on transfers but as a guard on our current roster, if we recruited Koulechov I would not take to it well.

Now, if Ollie and co. want to add a guard who can come in play 10-20 min, shoot 40% from 3 and play some good D, then I'm all for it. Basically, at the guard position I don't think we need anything more than a glue guy.

However, we need an impact big immediately - a cog in the paint who can get us 8 and 10.

pj

Reaction Score
Year long averages don't tell the story with him, because he spent most of the year out of the rotation and barely playing. It was only in mid-February that KO finally gave up on Omar, kept him nailed to the bench and started playing T Sam regularly.

If mid-February means Feb 15, then starting with the Feb 15 game against Memphis, UConn played 14 games. TSam had two good games -- the NCAA tourney games against Villanova and Iowa State, when we needed a third guard to match the opponent. Apart from those two games, he scored 17 points total in the other 12 games, less than 1.5 per game. He had 10 rebounds total in the 12 games, 0.8 per game. Terrence Samuel 2013-14 GGame Log | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

That team just had a shortage of guards. After Shabazz and Boat, there was TSam, Omar who was 6'6" with a poor handle, and Lasan Kromah 6'6" likewise. In the Nova and ISU games, any third guard would have done as well as TSam, all the attention was on Shabazz, Boat, Giffey, and Deandre. I'm glad TSam stepped up in those games, but he is the definition of a replaceable player.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Between Jalen, Alterique, Vital and Makai I am not concerned about our guard play entering next season. As nice as it sounds to add Koulechov to the roster I worry about the implications it may have on chemistry. Vital played his way into a starting role next year, or at least a fight for it vs. Gilbert. I am not speculating on transfers but as a guard on our current roster, if we recruited Koulechov I would not take to it well.

Now, if Ollie and co. want to add a guard who can come in play 10-20 min, shoot 40% from 3 and play some good D, then I'm all for it. Basically, at the guard position I don't think we need anything more than a glue guy.

However, we need an impact big immediately - a cog in the paint who can get us 8 and 10.

8 and 10 is a pretty good cog. To get someone who can get us 10 boards a game at this point in time would be close to a miracle.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
If mid-February means Feb 15, then starting with the Feb 15 game against Memphis, UConn played 14 games. TSam had two good games -- the NCAA tourney games against Villanova and Iowa State, when we needed a third guard to match the opponent. Apart from those two games, he scored 17 points total in the other 12 games, less than 1.5 per game. He had 10 rebounds total in the 12 games, 0.8 per game. Terrence Samuel 2013-14 GGame Log | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

That team just had a shortage of guards. After Shabazz and Boat, there was TSam, Omar who was 6'6" with a poor handle, and Lasan Kromah 6'6" likewise. In the Nova and ISU games, any third guard would have done as well as TSam, all the attention was on Shabazz, Boat, Giffey, and Deandre. I'm glad TSam stepped up in those games, but he is the definition of a replaceable player.
I'll preface this by saying I don't think it's a good idea to bring Samuel back, unless he wants to be a grad walk on. However, this analysis would be a little unfair no matter who the player is, for the following reasons:
  1. When he came into the game, he was not being called on to score. He was being called on to be another ball handler, and to guard quicker smaller lineups.
  2. If he's on the floor with Boatright, Napier, Daniels, which of them would you want to sacrifice offensive opportunities to let Samuel have more?
  3. Per game averages don't work for a seventh, eighth, or ninth guy off the bench - I would expect them to be low. He's not getting that many minutes. The question instead is, is he adding value in the minutes he gets?
  4. He was a freshman. How much of a contribution do you expect for most freshman fourth guards? How much would you have expected from Vital this year had Gilbert not been lost for the season?
As you say, in the two games where he was needed to match the opponent, he did his job well. In other words, he added value when necessary.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
8 and 10 is a pretty good cog. To get someone who can get us 10 boards a game at this point in time would be close to a miracle.
True. Wishful thinking. 7-8 rpg would be nice, too.

Reaction Score
Iona would be a good fit for TSam. I am not sold on Casimir at the point. Although the staff may not mess with chemistry. I would like to see the Martin brothers from Weaver eventually end up at Iona to play with EJ.

pj

Reaction Score
I'll preface this by saying I don't think it's a good idea to bring Samuel back, unless he wants to be a grad walk on. However, this analysis would be a little unfair no matter who the player is, for the following reasons:
  1. When he came into the game, he was not being called on to score. He was being called on to be another ball handler, and to guard quicker smaller lineups.
  2. If he's on the floor with Boatright, Napier, Daniels, which of them would you want to sacrifice offensive opportunities to let Samuel have more?
  3. Per game averages don't work for a seventh, eighth, or ninth guy off the bench - I would expect them to be low. He's not getting that many minutes. The question instead is, is he adding value in the minutes he gets?
  4. He was a freshman. How much of a contribution do you expect for most freshman fourth guards? How much would you have expected from Vital this year had Gilbert not been lost for the season?
As you say, in the two games where he was needed to match the opponent, he did his job well. In other words, he added value when necessary.

All true (except point 3, his per-40-minute stats were very poor). Not trying to dis Samuel's contribution, he was good enough to allow us to win a championship that year, but he was a limited player, and we can do better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01