• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I don't see how you can reach that conclusion with any certainty. It will all depend on how many schools are left in the ACC and how much they prioritize hoops and academics compared to football. But the thought that Wake and Pitt would rather be associated with Oregon State and Washington State than UConn and, say, Temple? Why exactly?
Because the ACC has passed on UConn how many times now?

Reaction Score
Football drives the bus. UConn staying in the Big East means the entire athletic department is going to run at a constant defecit. And that's going to rub a lot of people the wrong way and will eventually hurt both basketball teams. . So you'd rather see UConn stay in the Big East which is a borderline mid major at best at this point and win than go play good schools and possibly lose? That's the most idiotic mentality to have.
Big East a borderline mid major? You just unleashed the hounds on that one. Most athletic departments run at a deficit - UConn is far from alone on that point. Going down the rabbit hole of chasing football $ is a legit concern - and the SEC has not won a MBB championship in a decade, Big10 in over 20 years.

Reaction Score
Because the ACC has passed on UConn how many times now?
Took a number of tries before my wife stopped dumping me when we were dating, but we just celebrated 41 years. Situations change. Pitt was selected over us because the ACC found our resumes overall fairly comparable and it wasn't worth fighting BC over the difference, and Louisville because Clemson and FSU (who won't be around at the next round of decision making) cared about nothing but a football team helping their SOS. Who knows what will happen when the ACC is in a much weaker position.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Can someone explain why having a framework in place matters until they sign off on anything? Wouldn’t the conference always do their due diligence on the off chance the 50/50 schools like their deal better? Isn’t the only important detail how much money the Pac gets from their TV deal if everyone stays?
The only purpose is to be able to negotiate with the television/streaming services.

They can't bring a contract to the conference members that is dependent on a GOR only to find out that they can't reach an agreement among members in the GOR.

Additionally, the framework on the GOR is one thing (albeit a very important thing), there would still be some details that would need to be hammered out once the offer is made.

Reaction Score
Football drives the bus. UConn staying in the Big East means the entire athletic department is going to run at a constant defecit. And that's going to rub a lot of people the wrong way and will eventually hurt both basketball teams. . So you'd rather see UConn stay in the Big East which is a borderline mid major at best at this point and win than go play good schools and possibly lose? That's the most idiotic mentality to have.
Is this for basketball? I’d rather see basketball stay in a consistently competitive basketball league that is no way a midmajor, and play good teams and have a chance at winning national titles (like we did this past year).

For all other sports, they can stay in a borderline mid major and win or play good schools and lose, or play good schools and win. I don’t care either way.

If the argument is we need to join the Big 12 to protect our basketball program from future consolidation in case P5 teams break off and make their own version of March Madness, then fine, I’m open to that argument.

If your argument starts with “we should join the big 12 because it helps football/baseball/soccer/track” , I’m out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The the PAC 12 reaches an agreement to stay together and essentially spurns the Big 12’ advancements, doesn’t that signal the weakness of the Big 12 compared to the other P5s? Why would we want to jump to what could then be argued the weakest P5 conference and getting locked into that instead of retaining flexibility to see how things develop? If the PAC 12 GOR news is correct, that tells us what other schools think of this new Big 12.

1. The Pac will be the lowest paid of the P5, I'm fairly sure of that. Probably more streaming heavy than they'd want. Pacific time content just isn't worth as much and the LA schools were their main calling card.
2. Colorado will probably say no thanks and go back to the B12.
3. Washington and Oregon will have to make sure the GOR is short enough not to foreclose a move to B1G. 5-6 years.
4. As for spurned advances, it's just AZ schools and Utah. Utah has incentives to stay, b/c Utah State could be added. AZ schools looking at slightly less money, but more traditional rivals for them. In 5-6 years if UW and Oregon bolt, it will all back on the table again.

All of the ACC, B12 and Pac have weaknesses compared to SEC & B1G. The ACC is the least vulnerable, but is locked into its deal. That is both good and bad. The Pac is the most vulnerable, and the verbal GOR news is because for the last year and a half nobody would offer them a TV deal. The B12 sits in the middle, maybe slightly more money than the ACC due to recency of contract, but the GOR is short for the same reason the PAC GOR will be short.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Is this for basketball? I’d rather see basketball stay in a consistently competitive basketball league that is no way a midmajor, and play good teams and have a chance at winning national titles (like we did this past year).

For all other sports, they can stay in a borderline mid major and win or play good schools and lose, or play good schools and win. I don’t care either way.

If the argument is we need to join the Big 12 to protect our basketball program from future consolidation in case P5 teams break off and make their own version of March Madness, then fine, I’m open to that argument.

If your argument starts with “we should join the big 12 because it helps football/baseball/soccer/track” , I’m out.

Ya know, I really disagree with your take but I appreciate your honesty where as the rest of the pro stay in the big east crowd dances around the fact they simply don't care about UConn football.

Reaction Score
Ya know, I really disagree with your take but I appreciate your honesty where as the rest of the pro stay in the big east crowd dances around the fact they simply don't care about UConn football.
Haha thank you - might be the wrong take but it’s how I feel

Reaction Score

Oh come on.

The “borderline mid-major“ conference produced three of the last seven national champions, (not to mention three in sweet sixteen, and two in the final eight just last year)

We’ve proven that we can be successful playing in it. What we haven’t proven is that we can be successful playing in a conference as a geographic and cultural outlier.

Reaction Score
Why are we risking the status of our crown jewel to help football
Because we already have a lot invested in football and want it to survive and because the B12 does not put basketball at risk at all, it will in fact provide more revenue to keep our great basketball coaches happy. It probably won't be long before Kentucky starts waving the big bucks at our great coach.

Reaction Score
Haha thank you - might be the wrong take but it’s how I feel
Except when not having football effects the basketball side of things. Creighton ,Xavier and Butler use to be the Cinderellas of March Madness and now they are national powerhouses? I am not buying it. It’s an insult to UConn!

Reaction Score
Of course they never really wanted us. If they did, we would have been invited. At best, we were the school that provided an even number of additions if they took one or three of the four corner schools.

I don't think this is necessarily true, however we will find out soon enough. The B12 does not need to add an even number of schools as they don't have divisions.

Hopefully the interest in the east coast NYC market is real as is the interest in creating the best basketball conference (Men's and Women's) on the planet. Adding more schools also creates ballast to protect against future raids, something the ACC should be doing.

Reaction Score
Except when not having football effects the basketball side of things. Creighton ,Xavier and Butler use to be the Cinderellas of March Madness and now they are national powerhouses? I am not buying it. It’s an insult to UConn!
If having P5 football is so great for MBB, why hasn’t the SEC won a title in 10 years, the Big 10 in over 20?

Reaction Score
So when the P5 break away and you are not included don’t fret you can play Seton Hall at the Garden for some kind of championship! It will be rocking.

Reaction Score
I think they care, especially since most have expressed a belief that what's good for UConn football long-term is also good for UConn basketball. The problem is most people are wired to look towards the near-term, and in the near-term those who weigh their interests towards basketball do so at a potentially great cost to football. Obviously, most schools don't have this problem since the TV money covers both.

The group of you that's 50/50 or more in favor of UConn football, I have a lot of respect for. That's a lot of investment for a cause that doesn't promise much, and I hope for their sake that UConn gets back in a real football conference soon.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't see how you can reach that conclusion with any certainty. It will all depend on how many schools are left in the ACC and how much they prioritize hoops and academics compared to football. But the thought that Wake and Pitt would rather be associated with Oregon State and Washington State than UConn and, say, Temple? Why exactly?

Because it pays better and because any idea that starts with hoop and academics is dead on arrival.

The eastern football alliance that all of you think is out there for us is never, ever, ever, ever going to happen. Never. Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College….those schools are never coming back here.

Reaction Score
An actual reporter runs a story and the most respected college sports reporter west of the Rockies retweets it. Or we can believe butthurt Big 12 fans who don't like the story. We will know soon enough who is right.
I can’t get to the story. But they haven’t signed it yet. You telling me Oregon and Washington want to sign that GoR?

Reaction Score
So when the P5 break away and you are not included don’t fret you can play Seton Hall at the Garden for some kind of championship! It will be rocking.
You sound like Lew Perkins circa 1995 reading tea leaves with such certainty. 16 championships ago. If the Pwhomever breakaway from the rest of college athletics to become in effect another professional tier, UConn football in any conference won’t save us.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I can’t get to the story. But they haven’t signed it yet. You telling me Oregon and Washington want to sign that GoR?
As I said a few posts up, it will need to be short.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Having basketball run you to the point of everything else.

As an alum, basketball, football, baseball, softball, soccer, I want the school to do well in all sports and be in the best shape financially to compete.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
You sound like Lew Perkins circa 1995 reading tea leaves with such certainty. 16 championships ago. If the Pwhomever breakaway from the rest of college athletics to become in effect another professional tier, UConn football in any conference won’t save us.
Ok. But Lew Perkins was right.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yeah. Having basketball run you to the point of everything else.

As an alum, basketball, football, baseball, softball, soccer, I want the school to do well in all sports and be in the best shape financially to compete.
Agree fully.

If we had a pickle ball team, as long as it didn't take away from any other program, I'd want them to be the best in the country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom