• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Why would the Pac 12 schools publicly agree to a GOR for a media deal if there was no media deal imminent? It is not a rhetorical question. I can't come up with a single reason to do that, because the language of the GOR is going to be dependent on the media rights deal.
Not sure I understand the question. If you're asking why they might leak out that they have a GOR ready to go when they don't have a media deal yet and therefore won't sign the GOR yet, one answer would be it takes pressure off Colorado for not jumping on the XII's presumed invitation.

But the answer would be a PR reason -- not an economic one.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why would the Pac 12 schools publicly agree to a GOR for a media deal if there was no media deal imminent? It is not a rhetorical question. I can't come up with a single reason to do that, because the language of the GOR is going to be dependent on the media rights deal.
Because they want to provide some assurance to the media companies they are negotiating with that they are willing to stay together. Nobody has offered them anything because nobody believes that Washington, Oregon, Colorado are going to be there.

Reaction Score
When we were winning and the place was rocking, honestly were there really that many negative thoughts about the Rent? We can win again and the place will fill up again and if we're playing a P5 schedule, then people will want it expanded.
It's not just that, but the perception of the other conferences that our stadium isn't even on campus. And sure the Rent can be rocking when winning, but nobody is going when we suck. If it was on campus, at least there would be casual student attendance.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You can't spend your life worrying about correcting every stupid criticism someone makes about you. If you do, you spend your whole life reacting to meaningless statements and those who want to criticize will find some other stupid thing to criticize you for anyway. All you can do is correct your meaningful flaws and worry less about what those who don't like you say.
Nor can you spend your life doubling down on past mistakes. Putting our football stadium 25 miles off campus is a meaningful flaw that we should look to correct at our earliest opportunity.

Reaction Score
A lot to unpack here.

1) This may be bad reporting, although Canzano is legit out west.

2) A lot of the reporting claiming that Colorado's departure to the Big 12 was imminent will turn out to have been spectacularly wrong if this report is true.

3) The Pac 12 may have pulled off one of the all time negotiating coups. They pointed a gun at their own head, threatened to shoot, and got what they wanted. There wouldn't be a GOR getting signed unless there was a media partner behind it. It is worth noting that ESPN has settled down with its "Pac 12 will not get a contract" reporting in the last week or two, which may mean they know the Pac 12 is about to sign with someone else and ESPN doesn't want to look stupider than they already look. We will find out soon.

If Apple or Amazon are about to enter the arena, the game will have changed dramatically.

4) If 1, 2 and 3 above all happen, UConn may want to tap the brakes on joining the Big 12. If Apple and/or Amazon are in the mix, then the Big East is going to get paid. It also means that the ACC is going to be even more desperate than ever to figure out how to get out of that long-term TV contract they signed. Maybe UConn or the Big East could figure into that solution.
In the responses to this post, Canzano says there is no media deal and that the details of the GOR agreement are in principle pending a media rights offer.

In other words, they've probably only agreed on what it would look like if they got a big media rights offer.

Reaction Score
It's not just that, but the perception of the other conferences that our stadium isn't even on campus. And sure the Rent can be rocking when winning, but nobody is going when we suck. If it was on campus, at least there would be casual student attendance.
there was barely casual student attendance at Gampel when we were struggling in the AAC days.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is funny that some UConn fans have so much invested in being right on a message board that they are rooting for the story reported by THREE respected sports media outlets to be wrong.

If you really want to root for UConn's failure, why not root for the Big 12 not getting any teams from the Pac 12, and then not taking UConn anyway. There are still a lot of ways that this might not work out for UConn. You don't need to put all your eggs in the "4 teams from the Pac 12 to the Big 12" basket.

Reaction Score
If the PAC schools stay put, who would the Big 12 go after in addition to Uconn? Potentially?

San Diego State (if they couldn't talk themselves into the Pac, which they would prefer) maybe? Maybe? There is not a single other school (not including basketball onlies) that wouldn't delete the brand and the product.

Reaction Score
Nor can you spend your life doubling down on past mistakes. Putting our football stadium 25 miles off campus is a meaningful flaw that we should look to correct at our earliest opportunity.
As I said, rational debate that UConn nation can have. I don't agree -- I don't think we could have raised the money to get the program going if the stadium was in Storrs -- but very reasonable for you or others to want the stadium in Storrs. Just not to think it matters to anyone who isn't invested in UConn.

Reaction Score
That would potentially be the best news ever for UConn if the Pac 12 stands put, right? Because now we instantly jump to #1 on the B12's wish list of available candidates.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score

At least UConn is not the only school getting played here. It looks like the Pac 12 is playing the Big 12 which is playing UConn. To add to UConn's humiliation, the ACC is considering merging with a conference of leftovers on the other side of the continent rather than add UConn.

At UConn's athletic department, they call this "Tuesday".

I think the state should turn the XL Center and The Rent over to UConn, actually hire some competent managers and see what happens. Absent an NHL team, this is the most logical path forward. The problem is what ex politicians do for a living and we need to unwrap that and not be hostage to the usual CT game.
Create an MBA specialization in sports facilities management. Students could cut their teeth with top facilities of different sizes and sports; ESPN is close by for the media side of things; and plenty of small and large facilities in a three-hour radius for case studies and internships.

Samoo

Reaction Score
A lot to unpack here.

1) This may be bad reporting, although Canzano is legit out west.

2) A lot of the reporting claiming that Colorado's departure to the Big 12 was imminent will turn out to have been spectacularly wrong if this report is true.

3) The Pac 12 may have pulled off one of the all time negotiating coups. They pointed a gun at their own head, threatened to shoot, and got what they wanted. There wouldn't be a GOR getting signed unless there was a media partner behind it. It is worth noting that ESPN has settled down with its "Pac 12 will not get a contract" reporting in the last week or two, which may mean they know the Pac 12 is about to sign with someone else and ESPN doesn't want to look stupider than they already look. We will find out soon.

If Apple or Amazon are about to enter the arena, the game will have changed dramatically.

4) If 1, 2 and 3 above all happen, UConn may want to tap the brakes on joining the Big 12. If Apple and/or Amazon are in the mix, then the Big East is going to get paid. It also means that the ACC is going to be even more desperate than ever to figure out how to get out of that long-term TV contract they signed. Maybe UConn or the Big East could figure into that solution.
His nickname in Portland is clownzano...

Reaction Score
That would potentially be the best news ever for UConn if the Pac 12 stands put, right? Because now we instantly jump to #1 on the B12's wish list of available candidates.

If the PAC12 holds together and they don't add UConn that just proves they never really wanted us. The PAC12 holding together does not create a reason to cancel UConn's addition, if anything it enhances the need to add UConn.

Samoo

Reaction Score
Three reporters running the same story within half an hour. Either the Pac 12 already has the deal, or they are publicly meeting one of the closing conditions that the media partner has demanded for an agreement. It is highly likely we are much closer to the end of the media negotiation process for the Pac 12 than to the beginning.
OR...they are planting a story with media friends to slow down the Big 12 slog to the finish line.

CL82

Reaction Score
As I said, rational debate that UConn nation can have. I don't agree -- I don't think we could have raised the money to get the program going if the stadium was in Storrs -- but very reasonable for you or others to want the stadium in Storrs. Just not to think it matters to anyone who isn't invested in UConn.
As you pointed out, it is ready ammunition for people who want to criticize the program. That said, it's not going anywhere in the near term.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Fair enough, but having a college football stadium 25 miles off-campus gives him a talking point that he would not otherwise have.
It works for UCLA and Miami though. We can make it work until I win the powerball

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Mostly, yes. UCLA and Miami (as you noted) don't have issues. If UConn was actually drivable to B12 schools, I think it might be an issue. There is something about arriving on the opposing campus that is just different. I remember watching Nebraska fans just infiltrate Lawrence, it was wild. It was their way of imposing themselves on the home team.

But since they'd fly, and the Rent is vastly more practical and better for visiting fans in that case, it is fine. It's a nothing burger. Might need to make it bigger.

Reaction Score
If the PAC12 holds together and they don't add UConn that just proves they never really wanted us. The PAC12 holding together does not create a reason to cancel UConn's addition, if anything it enhances the need to add UConn.
Of course they never really wanted us. If they did, we would have been invited. At best, we were the school that provided an even number of additions if they took one or three of the four corner schools.

CL82

Reaction Score
It works for UCLA and Miami though. We can make it work until I win the powerball
Ha ha, I think exactly the same thing. CL82 stadium has a nice ring to it.

Reaction Score
They were both second hires.

1. PP was when Hathaway balked at Whipple (UConn was preparing for whipple). Also, search sucked, though Paul should have performed better as coach (bit as bad as people think. 5-7, 5-7).

2. Narduzzi was No. 1 , but declined. They got Diaco, who was totally unprepared from a personality and management standpoint to be a head coach.
On the 2nd hire we also had anAD who was not prepared for his role as well

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Any prognostication here is likely to be wrong. My guess, based on the reports so far, is Colorado goes. AZ schools and Utah stay, UConn is invited, and SDSU (+ possibly Utah State and Nevada) moves to the Pac. But I have about 2% confidence in that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The GOR framework is never in place until right before the media rights deal is signed.

No spit that the GOR won't be signed if there is no media rights deal.

And you still think it’s a development.

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

It feels like these people don’t totally know what they’re talking about.

There is, like, zero chance that Kansas is scared of UConn and Gonzaga basketball joining the conference. The 3 schools are about as far apart as possible, geographically, in the continental United States. Kansas basketball is not going to miss a beat, they are an international basketball brand on the recruiting trail. They might lose a few more Big 12 basketball championships, that’s about it. Self retiring is a much more concerning thing for Kansas in the near future than more great basketball programs joining their conference.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

If the PAC12 media deal is a disaster, it’s a bad deal for UConn on multiple fronts…

1) No B12.
2) The Big East media deal will likely be worse than it is now, which means selling our media rights at even steeper discount than we do now.
3) Gives some life to the coast to coast ACC/P12 idea that we would not be a part of.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom