• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Is this for basketball? I’d rather see basketball stay in a consistently competitive basketball league that is no way a midmajor, and play good teams and have a chance at winning national titles (like we did this past year).

For all other sports, they can stay in a borderline mid major and win or play good schools and lose, or play good schools and win. I don’t care either way.

If the argument is we need to join the Big 12 to protect our basketball program from future consolidation in case P5 teams break off and make their own version of March Madness, then fine, I’m open to that argument.

If your argument starts with “we should join the big 12 because it helps football/baseball/soccer/track” , I’m out.

And golf and Field Hockey.

Reaction Score
There will come a reckoning with top tier college (call it that if you will) football in the near future. It will involve paying athletes handsomely from a revenue base of rabid community support that includes 65k tickets sold weekly at minimum along with every man, woman and child in the state plunking down in front of the TV. The stakes and money are that great. NCAA basketball is March Madness, not much else in the rest of the country, including at most P5 schools. The rest of college sports does not belong on the same campus as college football in comparison. Keep dreaming the dream that UConn football will get to that table. I enjoy it, I root for them. Mora is right in speaking of aspirations. But any talk of us being part of a megaprobreakawaycollegeconference is folly. And I don’t think that is even likely or desirable for basketball. The big football schools arguably don’t sustain winning basketball. Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia. I don’t think that’s coincidental. Maybe they will in their rogue college/pro endeavor. I know I won’t be interested in watching.

Reaction Score
There will come a reckoning with top tier college (call it that if you will) football in the near future. It will involve paying athletes handsomely from a revenue base of rabid community support that includes 65k tickets sold weekly at minimum along with every man, woman and child in the state plunking down in front of the TV. The stakes and money are that great. NCAA basketball is March Madness, not much else in the rest of the country, including at most P5 schools. The rest of college sports does not belong on the same campus as college football in comparison. Keep dreaming the dream that UConn football will get to that table. I enjoy it, I root for them. Mora is right in speaking of aspirations. But any talk of us being part of a megaprobreakawaycollegeconference is folly. And I don’t think that is even likely or desirable for basketball. The big football schools arguably don’t sustain winning basketball. Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia. I don’t think that’s coincidental. Maybe they will in their rogue college/pro endeavor. I know I won’t be interested in watching.
Have fun. You sound delightful.

Reaction Score
Football drives the bus. UConn staying in the Big East means the entire athletic department is going to run at a constant defecit. And that's going to rub a lot of people the wrong way and will eventually hurt both basketball teams. . So you'd rather see UConn stay in the Big East which is a borderline mid major at best at this point and win than go play good schools and possibly lose? That's the most idiotic mentality to have.
Big East is a borderline mid major at best at this point?

It was the second best basketball conference in the country this past season and the best conference at the top end, it will be the best basketball conference in the country next season.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I can’t get to the story. But they haven’t signed it yet. You telling me Oregon and Washington want to sign that GoR?

Why do people take it personally when a sliver of potentially good news for UConn shows up?

Reaction Score
Also lets listen to the UofA president or maybe we just listen to the "legit west coast reporter" with anonymous sources.

Reaction Score
Ok. But Lew Perkins was right.
Lew stated clearly how we needed to go D1 in football to protect basketball in the shifting conference landscape. If you can explain how D1 football at UConn has done that for MBB, I’m all ears. If you can make the case how it has done that for WBB, I’ll be incredibly impressed.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Also lets listen to the UofA president or maybe we just listen to the "legit west coast reporter" with anonymous sources.

Maybe you should listen to the interview before spiking the ball.

The U of A President gives a very bullish interview on the PAC 12, and the headline implies that the league is falling apart. That is a very dishonest tweet.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Football drives the bus. UConn staying in the Big East means the entire athletic department is going to run at a constant defecit. And that's going to rub a lot of people the wrong way and will eventually hurt both basketball teams. . So you'd rather see UConn stay in the Big East which is a borderline mid major at best at this point and win than go play good schools and possibly lose? That's the most idiotic mentality to have.

Saying the Big East is a borderline mid-major conference is an absurd thing to say.

It's incredible some of the outlandish things the football fanboys have said on this forum the last few weeks.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The "football drives the bus" people ignore that once doctors can diagnose CTE in living people, the number of kids playing football is probably going to drop dramatically, even in the south, and football players and programs may become uninsurable. Or the sport is going to have to change so much that it will be barely be comparable to what we watch today.

That will happen soon. It might be 10 years, it might be 5 years.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
The "football drives the bus" people ignore that once doctors can diagnose CTE in living people, the number of kids playing football is probably going to drop dramatically, even in the south, and football players and programs may become uninsurable. Or the sport is going to have to change so much that it will be barely be comparable to what we watch today.

Totally. Probably shouldn’t have built that ice rink either or soccer stadium. Concussion city with those two.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yeah, considering the concussion issues that Hawkins had when he played here it may be best to just stop playing sports. Nobody will get head injuries if that happens.

Reaction Score

I think it is safe to say that the price of big -time college sports is going up exponentially. Whatever camp you’re in on this conference thing, be prepared to pay for your entertainment. No free lunch.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Another person who feels the need to talk bad about big east teams for no apparent reason.
Another person driving by and cherry picking a comment (out of context) in a 86 page thread that has no clue what they are even talking about.

Reaction Score
The the PAC 12 reaches an agreement to stay together and essentially spurns the Big 12’ advancements, doesn’t that signal the weakness of the Big 12 compared to the other P5s? Why would we want to jump to what could then be argued the weakest P5 conference and getting locked into that instead of retaining flexibility to see how things develop? If the PAC 12 GOR news is correct, that tells us what other schools think of this new Big 12.
It does only temporarily because the other conferences may be weaker if stripped of their teams for the B1G. Oregon and Washington leave, what does the Pac12 have at that point?

Reaction Score
It takes far, far less time to get from Storrs to the Rent than it does from Westwood to Pasadena. Someone should tell the Big Ten this -- it will presumably change its mind on UCLA.
Counselor: You are far too bright to use this logic. UCLA plays in the Rose Bowl stadium. That is a football mecca. UConn plays in the Rent. That is an aging dump located in a poorly chosen location.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

I think that is likely a very naive take. Football is not going anywhere anytime soon. Other things will change before the entire sport becomes uninsurable, or there is a noticeable drop in kids playing football to the point where football is not the bus driver anymore. Football is a multi billion dollar industry. Rules for contact in the game will change before anything like that happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom