• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Lew stated clearly how we needed to go D1 in football to protect basketball in the shifting conference landscape. If you can explain how D1 football at UConn has done that for MBB, I’m all ears. If you can make the case how it has done that for WBB, I’ll be incredibly impressed.
UConn was a decade late from when Lew Perkins said that.

Consider, if UConn was able to do what it did in that first decade a whole decade prior to 2004, it would've been UConn and not BC that joined the ACC. Why did BC get in over UConn?

Reaction Score
Why do people take it personally when a sliver of potentially good news for UConn shows up?
It would seem that if the pac-12 gets a new deal they will sign if GoR. They don’t have a tv deal. There is no GOR in the table.

I interpreted the tweet from the guy as everything is set and all the teams have agreed to a GOR.

That is not a case.

Reaction Score
The "football drives the bus" people ignore that once doctors can diagnose CTE in living people, the number of kids playing football is probably going to drop dramatically, even in the south, and football players and programs may become uninsurable. Or the sport is going to have to change so much that it will be barely be comparable to what we watch today.

That will happen soon. It might be 10 years, it might be 5 years.
Soccer is the big issue with CTE in modern childhood population.

Reaction Score
It would seem that if the pac-12 gets a new deal they will sign if GoR. They don’t have a tv deal. There is no GOR in the table.

I interpreted the tweet from the guy as everything is set and all the teams have agreed to a GOR.

That is not a case.
Listen to what John is saying. There is a lot of smoke being sent out just as Colorado plans to leave the Pac 12.

Reaction Score
Another person driving by and cherry picking a comment (out of context) in a 86 page thread that has no clue what they are even talking about.
You’re right you are very smart and I have no clue. You want to go to the big 12 that’s fine and maybe the right move, but the need for some to disrespect the big east on the way out doesn’t say smart it screams classless.

Reaction Score
The "football drives the bus" people ignore that once doctors can diagnose CTE in living people, the number of kids playing football is probably going to drop dramatically, even in the south, and football players and programs may become uninsurable. Or the sport is going to have to change so much that it will be barely be comparable to what we watch today.

That will happen soon. It might be 10 years, it might be 5 years.
Nope.

Tonight, I am heading to my 2 sons' parent/player meeting for their HS football season for next year. I guarantee that out of the 125 kids and 75+ parents not one would walk out if they were told that doctors are close to diagnosing CTE in living people and I'm in MA never mind the South. Football is still king and young men will always want to play it with their parents cheering them on. Heck, I'm more worried when they drive out of the driveway which is a hell a lot more dangerous and yet still insurable.

Reaction Score
I think that is likely a very naive take. Football is not going anywhere anytime soon. Other things will change before the entire sport becomes uninsurable, or there is a noticeable drop in kids playing football to the point where football is not the bus driver anymore. Football is a multi billion dollar industry. Rules for contact in the game will change before anything like that happens.

Nevermind the fact that many people in the southeastern part of the US simply don’t care about the long term effects of CTE on their health.
Here for a good time not a long time.

Rules have changed. It has made players like Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater, and Chuck Cecil obsolete. That safety with no coverage skills that would just decleat dudes that came over the middle. Those guys couldn't play in today's NFL. You can't crack block anymore. I think we will see the kickoff taken out completely soon or maybe make it an end of half option. The NFL makes more money than anyone. It isn't going anywhere.

Reaction Score
Here for a good time not a long time.

Rules have changed. It has made players like Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater, and Chuck Cecil obsolete. That safety with no coverage skills that would just decleat dudes that came over the middle. Those guys couldn't play in today's NFL. You can't crack block anymore. I think we will see the kickoff taken out completely soon or maybe make it an end of half option. The NFL makes more money than anyone. It isn't going anywhere.
Then why increase the amount of games then, they need to expand rosters practice squad guys should on active rosters. Give teams two byw weeks. The XFL and USFL should be working with the NFL use those leagues as a feeder system with the NFL.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Wow it has gotten pretty confrontational in this thread! it is all about and will always be about the money. I know everybody understands this, so it seems there is no reason to debate this issue. We all love the Big East but we can’t just think about basketball. Especially when we are through our own mis management operating the athletic department at a loss. If we get invited there really is no decision to make. It sucks for all of us big east loyalist but really no reason to get this worked up about it.

Reaction Score
Nope.

Tonight, I am heading to my 2 sons' parent/player meeting for their HS football season for next year. I guarantee that out of the 125 kids and 75+ parents not one would walk out if they were told that doctors are close to diagnosing CTE in living people and I'm in MA never mind the South. Football is still king and young men will always want to play it with their parents cheering them on. Heck, I'm more worried when they drive out of the driveway which is a hell a lot more dangerous and yet still insurable.
Gotta love these anti football people who react to an injury or concussion with doom and gloom and really don’t give a damn about the guy. Has there been any stories of Demar Hamlin being fully recovered and playing football again, nope because that’s positive news.

Reaction Score
Then why increase the amount of games then, they need to expand rosters practice squad guys should on active rosters. Give teams two byw weeks. The XFL and USFL should be working with the NFL use those leagues as a feeder system with the NFL.
Those things may happen. I don't get what you are arguing. I'm saying they have changed rules to make football "safer". Why more games? More money. Players and owners both love more money.

Reaction Score
Those things may happen. I don't get what you are arguing. I'm saying they have changed rules to make football "safer". Why more games? More money. Players and owners both love more money.
Yep you said it more money I’m not buying the word “safety” from the NFL.

Reaction Score
No, it isn't. Football has far and away the most concussions in youth sports.
No I have done work on this in the past. They don’t even allow headers in some youth leagues. In leagues where headers are legal it’s a problem.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Ive no idea why, but "Google monkey" just cracked me up.
The image of a monkey with a Google logo on his forehead, frantically banging away on some keyboard. What can I say, I'm a sucker for visuals.
day text GIF

Reaction Score
UConn was a decade late from when Lew Perkins said that.

Consider, if UConn was able to do what it did in that first decade a whole decade prior to 2004, it would've been UConn and not BC that joined the ACC. Why did BC get in over UConn?
Football and the fact that the in the ACC didn't realize how little the Boston media market cares about college sports.

Reaction Score
Soccer concussions are very problematic for girls. It’s a real issue.

Well aware. It's also not nearly as prevalent as football. I take a concussion refresher for sports every single year. We cover it.

Reaction Score
You might both be right about concussions, or both be wrong, depending how you look at it. But I appreciate that you guys just argue about it instead of actually research it and define the criteria.

According to the study attached below, the rate of concussions is significantly higher in football. However, I’d bet WAY more kids are playing soccer, so there probably are more concussions in soccer.

Reaction Score
No I have done work on this in the past. They don’t even allow headers in some youth leagues. In leagues where headers are legal it’s a problem.

You may have done work on this, but it clearly wasn't very good. There are FAR MORE concussions from football than any other youth sport.

Concussions happen in soccer quite a bit, but it's easy to fix. You just don't allow headers and the problem disappears. Can't do that with football.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How about you both win. It can be CL82 Field at UConn Dan Stadium.
I'll go halves with him on it, assuming we both win enough money.

Reaction Score
You might both be right about concussions, or both be wrong, depending how you look at it. But I appreciate that you guys just argue about it instead of actually research it and define the criteria.

According to the study attached below, the rate of concussions is significantly higher in football. However, I’d bet WAY more kids are playing soccer, so there probably are more concussions in soccer.

Why do you assume I haven't done the research? I did it today, and I've been to a concussion course every year for a decade. Good effort though!

The rates of concussions might be a little misleading because of no-header leagues in soccer. I think most non-club leagues are doing that now up here.

Reaction Score
Since Duke is a Private school, they have no say. Now NC State is a question but UCLA abandoned Cal.
Do not underestimate the political clout Duke carries in NC. That would be a huge mistake.

Reaction Score

Football vs soccer numbers are similar for youth athletes. Many more football players in high school (teams are bigger).

Good effort!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Anybody actually measure the mileage?
Rentschler Field to Gampel is either 23, 24, or 25 miles depending on which route you take.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom