Poll 1/28 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Poll 1/28

Reaction Score
Thursday we’ll find out if Debbie A is right about Louisville. Somebody gonna have 2 losses and be holding hands with ND

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
More or less of an embarrassment than scheduling non-conference games against Coppin St?

Pretty weak and petty. Want me to analyze the UNC game? Certainly no losses like that on MSU's resume.

Go Binghamton (we all play cupcakes).

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Pretty weak and petty. Want me to analyze the UNC game? Certainly no losses like that on MSU's resume.

Go Binghamton (we all play cupcakes).

That's the 1 group 4 (RPI 200+) team that ND has played. Miss. St. has played 6 (though one is Florida, so that one couldn't be helped).

Last edited:

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Eh, it was a joke. At least, I thought it was funny.

That's the 1 group 5 (RPI 200+) team that ND has played. Miss. St. has played 6 (though you can't help that a team as bad as Florida is in the SEC).

I'm not degrading Notre Dame or anything.... that might be the other Mississippi State fans but not me. I think they're the team I personally would LEAST like to face in the tournament. I can totally see how they're ranked slightly ahead of us at #3. But I think #4 is about as low as I would put us.

I don't wanna meet you in Chicago. And on that note, I hope you don't come meet us in Greensboro so I'm definitely hoping you win all of your remaining games.... so that could not happen.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
That's the 1 group 4 (RPI 200+) team that ND has played. Miss. St. has played 6 (though one is Florida, so that one couldn't be helped).

So you would be happier if we had 5 wins vs teams ranked 50-100? They've made it pretty clear they can whip those teams too. The reason I dislike RPI is it places way to much emphasis on who you played, not how you played. By the way, I've also made it clear that when hitting on all cylinders I think ND is #1.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
So you would be happier if we had 5 wins vs teams ranked 50-100? They've made it pretty clear they can whip those teams too. The reason I dislike RPI is it places way to much emphasis on who you played, not how you played. By the way, I've also made it clear that when hitting on all cylinders I think ND is #1.

Agreed. It doesn't matter if we whip a team RPI #78 or RPI #126 or RPI #189. They're ALL bad. There's not much separating those teams at all. They just have to put one after another. But if you put 100 average teams together, it'll seem like there's a lot separating them when it's just a lot of bad apples somebody had to be placed slightly higher and that causes some huge ranking variance.

Margin of victory is relevant. Which is why our 50-point win over Washington on the road is significantly different than Oregon slightly pulling away from them in the 4th quarter. If we whip Washington by 50 in football and another team whips them by 13... that'll be discussed for weeks.

Reaction Score
Agreed. It doesn't matter if we whip a team RPI #78 or RPI #126 or RPI #189. They're ALL bad. There's not much separating those teams at all. They just have to put one after another. But if you put 100 average teams together, it'll seem like there's a lot separating them when it's just a lot of bad apples somebody had to be placed slightly higher and that causes some huge ranking variance.

Margin of victory is relevant. Which is why our 50-point win over Washington on the road is significantly different than Oregon slightly pulling away from them in the 4th quarter. If we whip Washington by 50 in football and another team whips them by 13... that'll be discussed for weeks.

But also take into consideration conference foes know each other a lot better. Just like some weak SEC teams may play y'all tighter because they know y'all. Where as two different conference teams playing in OOC haven't played one another and so it is a lot harder going into that game. I hope that made sense. lol

Reaction Score
UConn drops 2 spots for a loss on the road to top 10 Baylor. So with that logic Notre damn is dropping more that 2 spots

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Baylor is No. 1 in The Associated Press women's college basketball poll for the first time nearly 6 years.

The Lady Bears (17-1) rose to the top spot after then-No. 1 Notre Dame lost to unranked North Carolina on Sunday. Baylor, which received 24 of 28 first-place votes Monday from a national media panel, last was No. 1 in the final poll of the 2012-13 season. The Bears were the top choice among voters for the final 11 weeks of that season.

Notre Dame fell to 5th, with UConn, Louisville and Oregon following Baylor. Mississippi State, North Carolina State, Stanford, Oregon State and Marquette rounded out the top 10. The Wolfpack are the only undefeated team left in Division I basketball. Stanford dropped two spots in the AP poll to 8th, following their loss to Utah on Sunday.

The coach's poll had not been released at the time of this posting.

I think the AP was very gracious in dropping ND only 4 spots in the rankings after losing to an unranked team that at the time was only 2 games over .500 (11-9). I think an argument could be made for a lower ranking, although there are those that have a much different take:

Notre Dame's No. 1 seed isn't up for debate

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
UConn drops 2 spots for a loss on the road to top 10 Baylor. So with that logic Notre damn is dropping more that 2 spots

It's not one person who is making the poll. It's 30+ separate analysts. Even if all 30+ analysts had team X drop 2 spots, it doesn't mean the team will drop 2 spots in the aggregated poll.

Nor is there any kind of metric voters follow, nor should there be. It entirely depends on what other teams do, and how a voter seems them all relative to each other.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Oregon St. crushed Washington on Friday night by 47. Just because their margin of victory was more than twice as much as Oregon's was against UW, I don't think anybody would try to make the argument OSU should be ranked ahead of UO.

I seem to recall Oregon beat Mississippi St. Isn't head to head more relevant than score against common opponents?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm glad to see we finally got a little variety from the same top 4 reshuffling. Oregon hasn't lost in forever but was stuck in the same spot for a long time.

I don't think anybody should get a pass due to an injury. Almost everybody has suffered significant injuries this season. An unfortunate part of the game.

Reaction Score
Was pleasantly surprised how well Utah played against Stanford. Really enjoyed their teamwork tho Huff is a load.
Utah is coming through the State of Oregon this week--Oregon Ducks Friday night, and Oregon State Sunday afternoon.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I had to Keep checking I was on the UCONN version of the Boneyard as the MSU Dawgs want to dominate the thread...:rolleyes:

As this is before the UConn Louisville game, while I really appreciate MSU, they should be behind Baylor,
UConn
Oregon
Louisville
ND
MSU
The eye test tells me all are better and would beat MSU on a neutral court especially with Bibby out.
After UConn beats Louisville :rolleyes: I would put the Cards behind the Dawgs...

My last point is wow, Utah has impressed me and the games against both Oregon schools this weekend will be further telling!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You've certainly played a lot of good teams. Lost to every last one of them. But you've played them!

6853GOM.jpg

:rolleyes:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Good lord. Your team LOST to Oregon. I don't care if they needed a buzzer beater to beat Washington. Your team LOST to them. Just because Washington happened to be the next game where MSU took out its frustrations on by running up the score doesn't change or mitigate the fact that they LOST to them.

Reaction Score
I'm not degrading Notre Dame or anything.... that might be the other Mississippi State fans but not me. I think they're the team I personally would LEAST like to face in the tournament. I can totally see how they're ranked slightly ahead of us at #3. But I think #4 is about as low as I would put us.

I don't wanna meet you in Chicago. And on that note, I hope you don't come meet us in Greensboro so I'm definitely hoping you win all of your remaining games.... so that could not happen.

UCONN, Baylor, Louisville, or ND? ND is the team I would most like to face among that group. Baylor would be the team I would least like to see in the same bracket with MSST.

Reaction Score
I had to Keep checking I was on the UCONN version of the Boneyard as the MSU Dawgs want to dominate the thread...:rolleyes:

As this is before the UConn Louisville game, while I really appreciate MSU, they should be behind Baylor,
UConn
Oregon
Louisville
ND
MSU
The eye test tells me all are better and would beat MSU on a neutral court especially with Bibby out.
After UConn beats Louisville :rolleyes: I would put the Cards behind the Dawgs...

My last point is wow, Utah has impressed me and the games against both Oregon schools this weekend will be further telling!
My assumption is you saw the ND Louisville game, so why would 2 losses by Louisville to UCONN and ND be worst than 2 loses by ND to UCONN and UNC? Head to head with ND game was close and definitely, IMHO, referee influenced!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
You're a drama queen.

Who says it mitigated it? I take responsibility for that loss. Our worst game of the year. But I also think it's the only thing keeping us from a #1 ranking. If not, everyone would be deeming as the frontrunner for the National Championship since everyone else but NCState has one loss. See how slight these things are? Let's just leave it at the fact that it's the last week of January, and these things are too slight to determine.

Yes, well, there's a heaping handful of teams that can say they're one bad game from a #1 ranking. So yeah, knock off one of them and then let's have a calm discussion about grievances. :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
My assumption is you saw the ND Louisville game, so why would 2 losses by Louisville to UCONN and ND be worst than 2 loses by ND to UCONN and UNC? Head to head with ND game was close and definitely, IMHO, referee influenced!
Nothing can be perfect but here’s my logic:
Assuming UConn beats Louis AT Louisville,
ND beat Louisville AT LOUISVILLE, so while ND lost at home to UConn they lost on the road to UNC.
ND has played a much tougher schedule than Louisville as well so to me, that puts them ahead. I would also put MSU ahead of Louisville as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom