Poll 1/28 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll 1/28

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Well by all means, if AEH hit the dagger 3, stop the presses! They need to be number 1!

I give you credit for homer passion, but trust me, you're making it more than it is.

You took that comment to mean more than I meant it to be. It was a big shot in the game and her first real contribution in an important game. I was happy for her.

Why not give me credit for the fact I actually went to the boxscore and gave some facts rather than just making a statement that was misleading?

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Well by all means, if AEH hit the dagger 3, stop the presses! They need to be number 1!

I give you credit for homer passion, but trust me, you're making it more than it is.

All I'm saying is that we deserve the #3 spot. Oregon has the head-to-head over us, but they beat ASU on the last possession, trailed at halftime to unranked Washington State, and allowed Washington - a team we crushed by 50 points - to hang around until the halfway point of the 4th quarter. So I can see why Massey has us over Oregon.

And I'd say UConn and Louisville had their struggles this year too.

Our South Carolina win is about what people expected. That they would hang around with us until a certain point, but when their shots went cold in the 4th quarter, other aspects favored us and we showed that we're the better team. Not making it out to be one of the best wins of this year.. it's an EXPECTED win by an EXPECTED margin.. Baylor's win over UConn is by far the best win of the year. Still, I wouldn't want to play a team with Herbert-Harrigan and Tea Cooper. I'm sure UConn wouldn't either.... that game will be one of the most important games remaining in the year, and I think will be closer than what some are predicting.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Time for the voters to look at performance rather than reputation.

Miss. State's best win is against Marquette by 5 at home. ND beat Marquette by 24 on the road.

Miss. State has just one road win against a team with an RPI better than UNC's. That was against RPI #20 Texas and Texas didn't have Joyner Holmes.

I'm fine with ND dropping as far as six but let's not act like Miss. State has a laundry list of great wins or like ND has accomplished nothing.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
All I'm saying is that we deserve the #3 spot. Oregon has the head-to-head over us, but they beat ASU on the last possession, trailed at halftime to unranked Washington State, and allowed Washington - a team we crushed by 50 points - to hang around until the halfway point of the 4th quarter. So I can see why Massey has us over Oregon.

They beat Washington State by 15 and Washington by 19. You are really reaching here.

Arizona State is a really good team (Massey #15, RPI #14). Not seeing a whole lot of difference between Oregon beating them by 6 at home versus Miss St. beating Marquette (RPI #12) by 5 at home.

Reaction Score
Lot more movement in the second 10 than I expected with Utah moving up 7 ! And Gonzaga up 3.

Reaction Score
The big jumble was 14-19
14) Utah +7
15) Gonzaga +3
16) SoCar +3
17) RU -3
18) Syr -5
19) Ky -4

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
They beat Washington State by 15 and Washington by 19. You are really reaching here.

Arizona State is a really good team (Massey #15, RPI #14). Not seeing a whole lot of difference between Oregon beating them by 6 at home versus Miss St. beating Marquette (RPI #12) by 5 at home.

Washington vs. Oregon - Game Summary - January 4, 2019 - ESPN

No, they did not. They beat them by 13 in the earlier game of the year, and was leading by only 1 at halftime. We beat Washington by 50 on a trip to the Pacific Northwest..... that's about 2000 miles from Starkville.

I see your point with Marquette, but I think Marquette is a top 8 team, ASU is a top 16 team. But yes I see your point.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I'm fine with Notre Dame at 5th or even if they were voted 6th or 7th. If they are deserving of a higher ranking, they still have plenty of time to make their case with future regular season games and the ACC tournament.

Why is Miss St. ranked below the Irish? I think it's SOS. Miss St. could have scheduled a more challenging OOC, but they are not required to do so, and Schaefer chose not to do it. Apparently, in the voters eyes, beating less challenging teams by big margins is less impressive than beating higher ranked teams.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
All I'm saying is that we deserve the #3 spot. Oregon has the head-to-head over us, but they beat ASU on the last possession, trailed at halftime to unranked Washington State, and allowed Washington - a team we crushed by 50 points - to hang around until the halfway point of the 4th quarter.

Good lord. Your evidence is so grossly cherry-picked. I can cherry-pick as well, if I wanted to:
  • MSU (when at full strength) struggled mightily to put away Marquette on its home floor, while Notre Dame crushed them in Milwaukee.
  • MSU struggled more to beat Marquette on its home floor than Oregon did to beat MSU in Eugene.
  • MSU has played the weakest schedule among teams vying for top rankings.
  • MSU struggled for 3 and a half quarters with South Carolina, a team Baylor and Maryland had blown out.
  • MSU struggled to beat Georgia at home, and actually trailed by 3 with 6 minutes to play. This is the same Georgia team that has losses to Villanova and Alabama and a 26-point loss to Missouri.
No one's saying MSU isn't a great and dangerous team this year. Clearly they are.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Both Antonelli and LaChina Robinson voted Louisville #1.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Washington vs. Oregon - Game Summary - January 4, 2019 - ESPN

No, they did not. They beat them by 13 in the earlier game of the year, and was leading by only 1 at halftime. We beat Washington by 50 on a trip to the Pacific Northwest..... that's about 2000 miles from Starkville.

I see your point with Marquette, but I think Marquette is a top 8 team, ASU is a top 16 team. But yes I see your point.

Isn't this a 19 point margin? I would think that is the more relevant result given that it happened yesterday.

1548699367470.png

Speaking of relevancy, halftime scores are about as irrelevant as it gets. They beat a bad team by 13. Miss St. beat a bad team by 50. Who cares? I'm supposed to be impressed Miss St. ran up the score against RPI #123? Really?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
AP Women's Basketball Poll Week 13

Baylor #1, followed by UConn, Louisville, Oregon, then Notre Dame at #5 (just 2 points behind Oregon). Surprised ND fell so far.

Stanford falls to #8, NC State up to #7.

Utah up to #14.

BYU enters at #25.

Reaction Score
Miss. State's best win is against Marquette by 5 at home. ND beat Marquette by 24 on the road.

Miss. State has just one road win against a team with an RPI better than UNC's. That was against RPI #20 Texas and Texas didn't have Joyner Holmes.

I'm fine with ND dropping as far as six but let's not act like Miss. State has a laundry list of great wins or like ND has accomplished nothing.
That is why I am really looking forward to the big dance this year. We will have a most competitive tournament in a long time, I do not expect to see all number 1 seeds in the final four this year and I hope MSST gets there again!

Reaction Score
It’s interesting the very people who consistently thump the Massey bible are willing to put that book down when it says something they don’t want to believe. :p

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
ND loss must be discounted as Jackie Young was out. They, like us, have 5 players who start and play virtually all game. Take out one and it comes apart. But still shocking, 4 healthy players and a sub should have been able to beat NC. It was not NC State or Louisville.
Keep on whining...just like last year and how the story was all about their players that had been injured yet they were still the NCs.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Good lord. Your evidence is so grossly cherry-picked. I can cherry-pick as well, if I wanted to:
  • MSU (when at full strength) struggled mightily to put away Marquette on its home floor, while Notre Dame crushed them in Milwaukee.
  • MSU struggled more to beat Marquette on its home floor than Oregon did to beat MSU in Eugene.
  • MSU has played the weakest schedule among teams vying for top rankings.
  • MSU struggled for 3 and a half quarters with South Carolina, a team Baylor and Maryland had blown out.
  • MSU struggled to beat Georgia at home, and actually trailed by 3 with 6 minutes to play. This is the same Georgia team that has losses to Villanova and Alabama and a 26-point loss to Missouri.
No one's saying MSU isn't a great and dangerous team this year. Clearly they are.

I agree that 24 win Notre Dame had over Marquette is impressive. I can see why Notre Dame could be ranked over us based on that. Just saying I don't agree with the logic that Jackie Young is an excuse for UNC. Full strength? 4/5 strength?? come on now.

Everything else you mentioned is debateable.

We can debate whether we struggled with Marquette more than Oregon against us. We can also debate whether we struggled vs South Carolina at all. I don't even think the South Carolina fans think we struggled against a highly improved team with Elite 8 potential and has Herbert-Harrigan and Tea Cooper - who would start for any other team in the nation. In short, I never viewed a top 15 win against SC as a struggle at all.

Weakest schedule? Well... we're 4-1 against top 15 teams. That's also debatable if we have the weakest schedule. differs by each user I guess.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom