Poll 1/28 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Poll 1/28

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Isn't this a 19 point margin? I would think that is the more relevant result given that it happened yesterday.

View attachment 38839

Speaking of relevancy, halftime scores are about as irrelevant as it gets. They beat a bad team by 13. Miss St. beat a bad team by 50. Who cares? I'm supposed to be impressed Miss St. ran up the score against RPI #123? Really?

I think a 50 point win vs a 13 point win is relevant. You don't? Ok, your perspective. Fair enough.

I don't think putting emphasis on RPI ranking differences after the 50s is relevant, but ok... that's my opinion.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Good lord. Your evidence is so grossly cherry-picked. I can cherry-pick as well, if I wanted to:
  • MSU (when at full strength) struggled mightily to put away Marquette on its home floor, while Notre Dame crushed them in Milwaukee.
  • MSU struggled more to beat Marquette on its home floor than Oregon did to beat MSU in Eugene.
  • MSU has played the weakest schedule among teams vying for top rankings.
  • MSU struggled for 3 and a half quarters with South Carolina, a team Baylor and Maryland had blown out.
  • MSU struggled to beat Georgia at home, and actually trailed by 3 with 6 minutes to play. This is the same Georgia team that has losses to Villanova and Alabama and a 26-point loss to Missouri.
No one's saying MSU isn't a great and dangerous team this year. Clearly they are.

Every team in the top 6 to 8 has to cherry pick to say they are significantly better than others in that group, because they all have pretty comparable resumes. Thankfully they will keep playing games. I think UConn and Baylor are pretty interchangeable at 1 & 2 right now with Louisville, Oregon, MSU, & ND all having cases for #3. Stanford, NC State, Marquette and a few others can almost certainly beat any of the Top 6 on the right night. It's a competitive year.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Weakest schedule? Well... we're 4-1 against top 15 teams. That's also debatable if we have the weakest schedule. differs by each user I guess.

You've repeated this twice now. I see us as 2-1 vs consensus Top 15 teams (Oregon, Marquette and Texas) and 4-1 vs Top 20 (add SC and Kentucky)?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I agree that 24 win Notre Dame had over Marquette is impressive. I can see why Notre Dame could be ranked over us based on that. Just saying I don't agree with the logic that Jackie Young is an excuse for UNC.

Everything else you mentioned is debatable.

We can debate whether we struggled with Marquette more than Oregon against us. We can also debate whether we struggled vs South Carolina at all. I don't even think the South Carolina fans think we struggled against a highly improved team with Elite 8 potential and has Herbert-Harrigan and Tea Cooper - who would start for any other team in the nation. In short, I never saw a top 15 win against SC a struggle at all.

Weakest schedule? Well... we're 4-1 against top 15 teams. That's also debatable if we have the weakest schedule. differs by each user I guess.

Lol. You think it's debatable that MSU struggled to beat Georgia? Trailing in the 4th quarter for you is synonymous with easily breezing to victory?

The same Massey ratings that you're constantly harping on have MSU's schedule the weakest among the contender teams. So you only want the voters to care about one aspect of the Massey ratings, but not the other?

Not exactly sure how you're calculating 4-1. South Carolina and Kentucky are no longer in the top 15.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Every team in the top 6 to 8 has to cherry pick to say they are significantly better than others in that group, because they all have pretty comparable resumes. Thankfully they will keep playing games. I think UConn and Baylor are pretty interchangeable at 1 & 2 right now with Louisville, Oregon, MSU, & ND all having cases for #3. Stanford, NC State, Marquette and a few others can almost certainly beat any of the Top 6 on the right night. It's a competitive year.
You're right. No one in that group is clearly much better than the others. So absent any new convincing evidence (and that means wins and losses, not just margin-of-victory arguments loosely based on the transitive property), the polls are not gonna shift much.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
#15-#18 is pretty much a tie.

15. Gonzaga--269pts
16. SC--265pts
17. RU--256pts
18. Syracuse--253pts

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Lol. You think it's debatable that MSU struggled to beat Georgia? Trailing in the 4th quarter for you is synonymous with easily breezing to victory?

The same Massey ratings that you're constantly harping on have MSU's schedule the weakest among the contender teams. So you only want the voters to care that about one aspect of the Massey ratings, but not the other?

Not exactly sure how you're calculating 4-1. South Carolina and Kentucky are no longer in the top 15.

I didn't see what you said Georgia, but yes.... I was whining at the end of that game. I lost my passion for my team, until we hit a hot streak in the game right after, and it came back after South Carolina. We're on a 4 game streak similar to the streak that UConn is on after losing to Baylor.

Aren't we #15 in the Massey strength-of-schedule rankings? Is there a huge difference between #9 and #15? It's not like we have a SOS of #42.

LOL, South Carolina is only out of the top 15 because of a loss to us. Both Kentucky and South Carolina were #15 when we played them. Again, don't fuss over slight ranking differences. #15, #16, #17 whatever.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I didn't see what you said Georgia, but yes.... I was whining at the end of that game. I lost my passion for my team, until we hit a hot streak in the game right after, and it came back after South Carolina. We're on a 4 game streak similar to the streak that UConn is on after losing to Baylor.

Aren't we #15 in the Massey strength-of-schedule rankings? Is there a huge difference between #9 and #15? It's not like we have a SOS of #42.

LOL, South Carolina is only out of the top 15 because of a loss to us. Both Kentucky and South Carolina were #15 when we played them. Again, don't fuss over slight ranking differences. #15, #16, #17 whatever.

Ha, so not only are you cherry-picking an arbitrary threshold (top 15) but then you're playing fast and loose about the criteria for deeming a team to have met your cherry-picked arbitrary threshold.

Homer passion. Run with it.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Ha, so not only are you cherry-picking an arbitrary threshold (top 15) but then you're playing fast and loose about the criteria for deeming a team to have met your cherry-picked arbitrary threshold.

Homer passion. Run with it.

I don't understand this.

Ok. I'm letting this go.

Have a good day.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Given the head to head results, I have a hard time understanding ranking ND over UConn, or UConn over Baylor. It would be interesting to hear the reasoning.

Reaction Score
Given the head to head results, I have a hard time understanding ranking ND over UConn, or UConn over Baylor. It would be interesting to hear the reasoning.

Easy for ND after BU or UConn.....They have lost two games and they have lost 1.

BU UConn is more eye test and opinion in my opinion. They are both pretty interchangeable. I think BU edges UConn on out Massey and RPI.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

In the conventional SOS metric (aka the one that goes on the team sheets the selection committee uses), Miss St.'s SOS is currently #44.

1548703175932.png

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
In the conventional SOS metric (aka the one that goes on the team sheets the selection committee uses), Miss St.'s SOS is currently #44.

View attachment 38842

It's should be a constant embarrassment to the NCAA that RPI is still used as a judging criteria in picking and seeding teams.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score

View attachment 38842

If Massey has us at #15 and that metric has us at #44... it just shows how cautionary we have to approach these rankings. I mean... if one evaluating group has us #15 and another has us at #44, don't you think this is hard to really determine?

Where is this information? I would like to look at it.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Thread for announcement of today's poll, and for the inevitable whining that the voters (sportswriters from across the US) are owned by ND and biased towards the Irish.

My prediction:
  1. Bay (+1)
  2. UConn (+1)
  3. ND* (-2)
  4. Lou
  5. Ore
  6. Miss St (+2)
  7. NC St (+1)
  8. Stan* (-2)
  9. Ore St
  10. Marq
  11. MD
  12. Tex
  13. Iowa (+4)
  14. Syr* (-1)
  15. RU* (-1)
  16. Ky* (-1)
  17. Utah (+4)
  18. Gonz
  19. SoCar
  20. Az St* (-4)
  21. TAMU (+3)
  22. IowaSt* (-2)
  23. Mich St
  24. Fla St* (-2)
  25. Mizzou*

* = Losses last week

My prediction they are going to fall a lot further than 3rd

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
More or less of an embarrassment than scheduling non-conference games against Coppin St?

Every team plays cupcakes. Not sure what you're using to determine if someone is more cupcake than someone else.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
If Massey has us at #15 and that metric has us at #44... it just shows how cautionary we have to approach these rankings. I mean... if one evaluating group has us #15 and another has us at #44, don't you think this is hard to really determine?

Where is this information? I would like to look at it.

My source for strength of schedule is: Strength of Schedule (SOS) 2019 Womens College Basketball - WarrenNolan.com

I truly have no idea what Massey's methodology for determining strength of schedule is or how it works. Not saying it's wrong or right. I just don't know.

Reaction Score
I don’t mind ND falling to 5. They’ll make their way back up if they can win the rest of their regular season games and win the ACC tourny.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom