Poll 1/28 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Poll 1/28

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
UCONN, Baylor, Louisville, or ND? ND is the team I would most like to face among that group. Baylor would be the team I would least like to see in the same bracket with MSST.

I'm not sure. But I'd want to face Notre Dame the least. Sure, this is a completely different Mississippi State team than last year playing almost the same Notre Dame team. But still, Notre Dame has an answer for everything we throw at them. Even Shepard got identical stats as McCowan in the game last year?

Our biggest Achilles this year has been teams that have players that can do a lot of slip screens. So I guess I'd take my chances against a team that does less of that. We haven't been beaten by the 3-point shot yet this year. So I guess based on that, I'd take my chances with UConn out of those.

I also would prefer to play a team that we absolutely should have the rebounding margin over. Maybe by that token of logic, that would be the main difference between the Mississippi State team this year and Notre Dame. We're better this year on the boards, we're also speedier this year, with playmakers on the ball, and our transition offense looks like a thing of beauty, and we usually finish our drives. So maybe based on that, a rematch vs Notre Dame doesn't sound so bad.

McCowan is prone to slumps, but she'll wake up during tournament time no doubt. Vic always goes to her during crunch time. She was slumping at the end of the year until NCState in the Sweet 16 last year. I think a big reason for our Oregon loss is that Vic thought he could win without McCowan's maximum contribution, and he was wrong. So therefore against South Carolina, he went back to her again and it showed that McCowan is still the Everest of our team.

How about this. I prefer us to be the #1 seed in Greensboro so that NcState could get the #2 seed due to geographical proximity. :) Not counting out NcState, but I think they'll be less of a physical grind to get through than Baylor, Notre Dame or UConn.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I had to Keep checking I was on the UCONN version of the Boneyard as the MSU Dawgs want to dominate the thread...:rolleyes:

As this is before the UConn Louisville game, while I really appreciate MSU, they should be behind Baylor,
UConn
Oregon
Louisville
ND
MSU
The eye test tells me all are better and would beat MSU on a neutral court especially with Bibby out.
After UConn beats Louisville :rolleyes: I would put the Cards behind the Dawgs...

My last point is wow, Utah has impressed me and the games against both Oregon schools this weekend will be further telling!

I don't want to dominate anything, but if I see things I don't agree with I will respond with facts as best I can. Kinda the point to me. I haven't really pushed any MSU agenda here. I have stated pretty clearly earlier in the thread how I see the Top 6+.

Luckily for MSU, there are more eyes than yours.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Yes, well, there's a heaping handful of teams that can say they're one bad game from a #1 ranking. So yeah, knock off one of them and then let's have a calm discussion about grievances. :)

I'd do that, but I think this thread is one post away from being a thread that belongs on the Mississippi State board.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
...[/QUOTE]

I agree. But why, then, not leave it a that instead of the going on and on here?
I'd do that, but I think this thread is one post away from being a thread that belongs on the Mississippi State board.

Well, by my count about 1/3 of the entries in this thread are by Mississippi State fans. Sort of reminds me of a thread before the Oregon game.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't want to dominate anything, but if I see things I don't agree with I will respond with facts as best I can. Kinda the point to me. I haven't really pushed any MSU agenda here. I have stated pretty clearly earlier in the thread how I see the Top 6+.

Luckily for MSU, there are more eyes than yours.
And EVERYONE who has replied does not see things as you do, yet you continue to promote a view we disagree with. It’s not like we think your team stinks, they just have not played as strong a schedule as the 5 ahead of you. I do think you are better than Louisville and we will find out Thursday.
Also remember you have lost your 2nd best player so again, there should 5 teams ahead of you as your not as strong as you could be. There are only 2 chances MSU has for a #1 seed:
UConn loses to Louisville
Or
OSU/Utah win the PAC12
Then MSU could slide into the #1 seed.
Short of that, you are the top #2 seed put in the weakest #1 bracket.

The SEC is doing you no favors this year as they are the worst of the P5 conferences so your ability to move up is limited.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No offense to anyone in this thread but arguing over the rankings on Jan 28 is just dopey. You don’t win anything for being ranked higher than some other team in a mid-season poll.

Sheesh

Reaction Score
Nothing can be perfect but here’s my logic:
Assuming UConn beats Louis AT Louisville,
ND beat Louisville AT LOUISVILLE, so while ND lost at home to UConn they lost on the road to UNC.
ND has played a much tougher schedule than Louisville as well so to me, that puts them ahead. I would also put MSU ahead of Louisville as well.
ND beat Louisville at home. Actually believe that and the refs are the reason for the loss.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
My assumption is you saw the ND Louisville game, so why would 2 losses by Louisville to UCONN and ND be worst than 2 loses by ND to UCONN and UNC? Head to head with ND game was close and definitely, IMHO, referee influenced!
The issue I have with your argument is that you are only focusing on losses. I agree with you that losing @UNC and home to UConn (as ND did) is worse than losing @ND and at home vs. UConn (as Louisville may do). Based on losses alone, Louisville should be ranked above ND even if they lose their home game vs. UConn. But the committee weighs losses against wins, and ND has more good wins than any other team this year. If the committee didn't balance losses against wins, what would be the seeding incentive for any team to schedule tough teams? Didn't 2nd-ranked 1-loss Baylor get a 2-seed last season due to a weak schedule? And hasn't Maryland been punished in the past as well? Schaefer chose to schedule a weak OOC slate, so you cannot simply point out the number and quality of losses and rank or seed teams based only upon that criterion.

About 4 or 5 years ago, Princeton was undefeated but had a weak schedule. They were ranked fairly high by the pollsters, but were seeded poorly in the tournament. It's the same principle.

Reaction Score
The issue I have with your argument is that you are only focusing on losses. I agree with you that losing @UNC and home to UConn (as ND did) is worse than losing @ND and at home vs. UConn (as Louisville may do). Based on losses alone, Louisville should be ranked above ND even if they lose their home game vs. UConn. But the committee weighs losses against wins, and ND has more good wins than any other team this year. If the committee didn't balance losses against wins, what would be the seeding incentive for any team to schedule tough teams? Didn't 2nd-ranked 1-loss Baylor get a 2-seed last season due to a weak schedule? And hasn't Maryland been punished in the past as well? Schaefer chose to schedule a weak OOC slate, so you cannot simply point out the number and quality of losses and rank or seed teams based only upon that criterion.

About 4 or 5 years ago, Princeton was undefeated but had a weak schedule. They were ranked fairly high by the pollsters, but were seeded poorly in the tournament. It's the same principle.
ND win against Marquette was impressive but I can not ignore the at home loss to UCONN. To me if the regular season ended today the number 1 seeds would be Baylor, UCONN, Oregon, and Louisville.

Reaction Score
Baylor's win over UConn is by far the best win of the year.

Nope. Just for starters....

UConn destroyed Notre Dame on their home court while a very rusty UConn lost to Baylor by a much less margin at Baylor.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
ND win against Marquette was impressive but I can not ignore the at home loss to UCONN. To me if the regular season ended today the number 1 seeds would be Baylor, UCONN, Oregon, and Louisville.
Are these 4 teams your own personal opinion of which teams have earned 1-seeds, or are they your predictions of what the committee will choose? Charlie is usually pretty good in discerning which teams will fill the top 16 seeds, and he has ND at the 1-seed tier.

Reaction Score
Are these 4 teams your own personal opinion of which teams have earned 1-seeds, or are they your predictions of what the committee will choose? Charlie is usually pretty good in discerning which teams will fill the top 16 seeds, and he has ND at the 1-seed tier.

ND's loss to an unranked team is going to cost them.

ND is at best on the bubble as a 1 seed. Louisville's loss to UConn this week will help ND (As a one-trick pony with little balance Louisville has little chance).

Notre Dame is one loss away from permanent exclusion as a 1 seed.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
1548723417214.png

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Notre Dame won't fall as far as their two pretty bad losses warrant (calling UConn a bad loss because it was by 18 at home). Their schedule is strong and their ceiling is probably higher than everyone, but they can be uninterested for long stretches in games. That may be a recipe for disaster. Yesterday showed me they have little chance to win it all if Jackie Young is not on the court.
They wouldn’t have won last year without Jackie Young!

Reaction Score
They wouldn’t have won last year without Jackie Young!

ND wouldn't have won last year without the horrible non-call by the refs in the final seconds of the championship game.

The impact of the non-call that cost the Saints a Super Bowl this past weekend is no different than the non-call that cost Mississippi State the Championship last year.

Reaction Score
My opinion, I have not idea what the criteria is for the committee. I watch a lot of WBB and based upon what I have seen those would be my number 1 seeds. We still have a lot of games to see so my opinion will change depending on the results of those games. ND wins the ACC tournament then I would say they would be a number 1 seed.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

AS A HORSE OWNER, I AM DEEPLY OFFENDED BY THIS GIF AND I AM GOING TO REPORT YOU TO THE MODS AND TO PETA AND THE ASPCA!!!!!

Just kidding, I love it!!!
But, I really do own multiple horses.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
No offense to anyone in this thread but arguing over the rankings on Jan 28 is just dopey. You don’t win anything for being ranked higher than some other team in a mid-season poll.

Sheesh
Thinkin...the same thing
You beat me to it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44