Players Using COVID Year | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Players Using COVID Year

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I can see this trend continuing next year as well. It’s at least somewhat likely that both Clark and Bueckers use the Covid year
Paige can stay three more years. Doubt she will, but she could.

Reaction Score
I think there are plenty who aspire to be there but the limited number of rosters spots means only about a dozen or so recent college players actually wind up on a team in a given year. Competition for spots is fierce and the money is small relatively speaking so it's no surprise many are opting in.
I just think it’s not a great look for the league that players, like Celeste Taylor, who would almost certainly make a roster are choosing to stay in college longer

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow this should be a wake up call for the WNBA that so many pro-level players are choosing to stay in college an extra year. I don’t blame the players at all

I think the big problem is that there are so few spots in the league, so unless you're projected to be a top 5-10 pick, your odds of making a roster, let alone getting much playing time, are slim. None of the projected first rounders have announced they intend to use a 5th year aside from Rickea Jackson. All of the players on this thread are solid college players but aren't likely to make a roster if they did declare.

Reaction Score
I think there are plenty who aspire to be there but the limited number of rosters spots means only about a dozen or so recent college players actually wind up on a team in a given year. Competition for spots is fierce and the money is small relatively speaking so it's no surprise many are opting in.
Absolutely that's part of the problem.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I just think it’s not a great look for the league that players, like Celeste Taylor, who would almost certainly make a roster are choosing to stay in college longer
I'm not sure she would. She's a great defensive player but has always been inefficient offensively and lacks a consistent jumper.

Reaction Score
The WNBA has a big problem. Too many players aren't in a rush to get

I'm not sure she would. She's a great defensive player but has always been inefficient offensively and lacks a consistent jumper.
Yep, she was definitely taking a risk leaving this year. Glad she decided to take another year to develop.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Yep, she was definitely taking a risk leaving this year. Glad she decided to take another year to develop.
Same--she's a fun player to watch and could help elevate Duke to be an elite program.

Reaction Score

A lot of veterans that are still in shape to compete against (e.g. Taurasi, Parker, etc.) also makes it challenging. Longer playing careers also has an effect.

Reaction Score

Not so sure. Look at who was drafted in the first round and didn't make a roster last season. Even if she were drafted, there's no guarantee she'd stick.

Reaction Score
I think the big problem is that there are so few spots in the league, so unless you're projected to be a top 5-10 pick, your odds of making a roster, let alone getting much playing time, are slim. None of the projected first rounders have announced they intend to use a 5th year aside from Rickea Jackson. All of the players on this thread are solid college players but aren't likely to make a roster if they did declare.
100% accurate.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Does anyone know of a place where you can see the list of who has declared for the WNBA? I didn't see anything on the WNBA website and have no idea where to look on the ESPN app or website. Except for the teams in the Elite Eight, the deadline has passed, so any seniors that didn't declare most likely will be playing somewhere next season.

Reaction Score
Jacy Sheldon has officially announced she will be back at OSU next season.

Let's go that's great for the women's game next year. OSU becomes a legit contender again.

Reaction Score
That's true also because so many WNBA teams have concluded that the best use of the cap space is to spend the salary you would have paid your 12th player on upgrading one of the other 11. Half the teams don't even use that last roster spot.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Jacy Sheldon has officially announced she will be back at OSU next season.
Mikesell moves on but Rikki Harris and Madison Greene (assuming rehab is good) will be back to join her in the backcourt.

Reaction Score
Mikesell moves on but Rikki Harris and Madison Greene (assuming rehab is good) will be back to join her in the backcourt.
And MacMahon will build on her freshman year. What does OSU have for post depth next season? Haven't heard anything about Walker or Mikulasikova returning, but I could have missed it being announced.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
And MacMahon will build on her freshman year. What does OSU have for post depth next season? Haven't heard anything about Walker or Mikulasikova returning, but I could have missed it being announced.
Ditto on Walker and Mikulasikova. If either/or those two comes back, they should be ok. Buckeyes are not listed in Top 25 Class Rankings so not sure who they have coming in on the "natural" frosh level. If the aforementioned two don't come back, McGuff is going to visit Plan B to look for a post/tough forward, like so many other schools.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Ditto on Walker and Mikulasikova. If either/or those two comes back, they should be ok. Buckeyes are not listed in Top 25 Class Rankings so not sure who they have coming in on the "natural" frosh level. If the aforementioned two don't come back, McGuff is going to visit Plan B to look for a post/tough forward, like so many other schools.
Taylor Mikesell was the only Buckeye to get any senior day treatment this season. That doesn't really mean much but I'd assume these players will be back next season. I could be 100% wrong though. Walker really provided the correct amount of hustle and strength inside and a midrange shot, that Mikulasikova didn't have the confidence in her shot to make. If Mikulasikova returns and can be 100% focused like she was early in the season all season, I think they'll be okay. But I think the best rebounders are going to be McMahon and Thierry again.

As for Freshmen next season, Diana Collins is a guard out of Georgia and their top ranked recruit (#70), I don't know too much but I think she's more of a two guard but can handle the ball if needed, which, with the timeline of Greene's injury, she may have to. I don't think Rikki is the best choice at PG. For height, Faith Carson out of Michigan is 6'4" but I haven't seen much video on her, apparently her other finalists were Ole Miss, Michigan State, Xavier, and Pitt. I think most of her offers were non-P5 schools though. I'm not sure if OSU has space for any transfers, but I'd hope they could get someone with size and skill in. Seems like Posts are the hardest position for McGuff and co. to recruit in. Without any more attrition this offseason, OSU I think only has one open scholarship spot. They will have five players taller than 6' next season.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Taylor Mikesell was the only Buckeye to get any senior day treatment this season. That doesn't really mean much but I'd assume these players will be back next season. I could be 100% wrong though. Walker really provided the correct amount of hustle and strength inside and a midrange shot, that Mikulasikova didn't have the confidence in her shot to make. If Mikulasikova returns and can be 100% focused like she was early in the season all season, I think they'll be okay. But I think the best rebounders are going to be McMahon and Thierry again.

As for Freshmen next season, Diana Collins is a guard out of Georgia and their top ranked recruit (#70), I don't know too much but I think she's more of a two guard but can handle the ball if needed, which, with the timeline of Greene's injury, she may have to. I don't think Rikki is the best choice at PG. For height, Faith Carson out of Michigan is 6'4" but I haven't seen much video on her, apparently her other finalists were Ole Miss, Michigan State, Xavier, and Pitt. I think most of her offers were non-P5 schools though. I'm not sure if OSU has space for any transfers, but I'd hope they could get someone with size and skill in. Seems like Posts are the hardest position for McGuff and co. to recruit in. Without any more attrition this offseason, OSU I think only has one open scholarship spot. They will have five players taller than 6' next season.
Thanks for the input, as usual.
Everyone needs a "true post." I just reviewed Louisville and UVA and it's either stated and/or implied that both teams need (more) posts. But, as we all know, they just don't pop up everywhere. So, if you have P5-level talent and are a post/tough forward, you'll be a hot commodity in the portal: take your time, do your research and make the right choice.

Last Buckeye question: what's the prognosis on Madison Greene, a player I like a bunch, but seems snake-bit?

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Thanks for the input, as usual.
Everyone needs a "true post." I just reviewed Louisville and UVA and it's either stated and/or implied that both teams need (more) posts. But, as we all know, they just don't pop up everywhere. So, if you have P5-level talent and are a post/tough forward, you'll be a hot commodity in the portal: take your time, do your research and make the right choice.

Last Buckeye question: what's the prognosis on Madison Greene, a player I like a bunch, but seems snake-bit?
They've been pretty tight-lipped on the nature of the injuries players have suffered this season. They've only referred to Greene's injury at "Season-ending Knee Injury", which could be anything since it happened in December and required surgery. We can make assumptions since it's the same knee that kept her out the previous season. I hadn't seen any reports even saying Greene had knee surgery since that injury, so much is unknown. Hoping whatever the injury is she is able to rehab and strengthen it with enough time to where she can play with confidence again.

With Sheldon, we never heard what exactly her injury was. Taylor Mikesell throughout the tournament received treatment on her hamstrings and all season she never sat down during the timeouts when the other players would sit. Which, I can appreciate them keeping things close to chest for the privacy of the players, but as a FAN...It's frustrating haha.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
They've been pretty tight-lipped on the nature of the injuries players have suffered this season. They've only referred to Greene's injury at "Season-ending Knee Injury", which could be anything since it happened in December and required surgery. We can make assumptions since it's the same knee that kept her out the previous season. I hadn't seen any reports even saying Greene had knee surgery since that injury, so much is unknown. Hoping whatever the injury is she is able to rehab and strengthen it with enough time to where she can play with confidence again.

With Sheldon, we never heard what exactly her injury was. Taylor Mikesell throughout the tournament received treatment on her hamstrings and all season she never sat down during the timeouts when the other players would sit. Which, I can appreciate them keeping things close to chest for the privacy of the players, but as a FAN...It's frustrating haha.
As an Irish fan, I can appreciate your frustration, from the (still) tight-lipped approach to 'Liv Miles injury and surgery to the "what's wrong with Lauren Ebo's lower extremities absence in February. With Dara Mabrey, since it was a career-ending injury, everyone was more open (particularly Dara, of course). I get the various privacy issues, but aargh (this has happened many times in many sports over the years at the Home of the Dome). Good luck to Greene: love her verve.

Last edited:

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Jaz Shelley has announced she is going to return to Nebraska next season. Which, I'm happy about because I think she's a tremendous player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom