Players Using COVID Year | The Boneyard

Players Using COVID Year

Reaction Score
Apologize if this was posted elsewhere, I assume it was in the Tennessee thread, but pretty big news that Rickea Jackson announced she was using her 5th year.

Begs the question, what will the other big 4th year WNBA prospects do. Presume most of these players are about to graduate undergrad if they haven't already. With NIL and COVID year available will any stay for a 5th year or Grad transfer instead of going to WNBA? Anyone else announced one way or the other?
Aliyah Boston
Haley Jones
Diamond Miller
Jordan Horston
Zia Cooke
Brea Beal
Liz Kitley
Maddy Siegrist
Jacy Sheldon
Charisma Osborne
Mackenzie Holmes (is using COVID year, per reports)

Sure I'm missing some.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Jacy Sheldon hasn't made an official announcement but she did not participate in the Senior Day festivities OSU had for Taylor Mikesell. So, assumptions can be made.

Seems the same can be said for all of OSU's academic fourth year players (Madison Greene [redshirt], Rikki Harris [redshirt], Rebeka Mikulasikova, Eboni Walker, Hevynne Bristowe, Karla Vres)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
One thing that is very different about the women's game is the fact that they have to make their decision quickly after their season ends, at least those players with the COVID year that are in the tournament.
Don't players that play in the Championship game only have 24 or 48 hours to decide?
Gotta be a lot of extra pressure.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Haley Jones has stated she is going to the WNBA. Seems silly honestly with as much as she is making in college and how much worse her outside shot got this year. I think she'll struggle to make a roster without the ability to hit a shot outside the free throw line and a shaky handle at the next level let alone play. She won't be able to post up the likes of Delle Donne or Taurasi at the next level and players like Plum is Skylar will pick her pocket at will. If she was able to improve those skills to be serviceable it will allow her to be a rookie that can make an impact.

Reaction Score
Brinae Alexander announced last night that she will use her Covid year. Faith Masonius and Lavender Briggs announced earlier in the season that they will do so as well for Maryland. Pleasent surprise considering we always hear the opposite from Terp players.

Of course, the big news last night was Rickea Jackson announcing she is coming back.

Reaction Score
Oregon's Endiya Rogers (16.5 points, 4.4 Assists, .397 3 pt pct) went through Senior night festivities but no word if she is taking covid year. It was mentioned not to read too much into Senior Night participation. The other three Senior Night players were all fifth year and are gone for sure.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
Watched an interview with Caitlin Clark, she said after next season she will definitely consider coming back to Iowa for a Covid season. Said has loved her experience at Iowa and loves playing for coach Bluder but NIL will have no factor in her decision. All of her NIL agreements will go along with her to the WNBA so she won't be taking a pay cut. It may not be the same for all players, but hadn't seen that angle brought up before.

Reaction Score
I think it’s not good for most of these programs to have these players stay on. It just seems to clog the recruiting pipeline, and maybe tilts them even further toward having to rely too much on the portal.

Reaction Score
I think it’s not good for most of these programs to have these players stay on. It just seems to clog the recruiting pipeline, and maybe tilts them even further toward having to rely too much on the portal.
In addition because of the confusion and uncertainty regarding possible 5th years, I'm sure it increases the activity in the portal which I suspect the NCAA is already worried about being too high.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It feels like the "covid year" has resulted in every team in Big Ten starting a team of 23-year-olds.

Of course, the Iowa girls are coming back. No one ever leaves in the Big Ten! At least Ali Patberg didn't find a way to take an 8th year...

Last edited:

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Haley Jones has stated she is going to the WNBA. Seems silly honestly with as much as she is making in college and how much worse her outside shot got this year. I think she'll struggle to make a roster without the ability to hit a shot outside the free throw line and a shaky handle at the next level let alone play. She won't be able to post up the likes of Delle Donne or Taurasi at the next level and players like Plum is Skylar will pick her pocket at will. If she was able to improve those skills to be serviceable it will allow her to be a rookie that can make an impact.
Someone closer to Stanford can confirm, but I think Tara usually likes to use up the scholarships she has. There may not be room for Jones without taking a scholarship from another player. A similar situation happened with OSU’s volleyball team. All the seniors transferred out to play their final COVID year because NCAA didn’t extend the policy that let teams go over their scholarship limit. She could transfer for her final year but she may be happy with her Stanford career and ready for the next challenge.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As has been said by many a coach, the portal is not a sustainable way to operate. But it is invaluable for short term issues. The catch 22 is it gives you an option to allow freshman more time to develop, however, the freshmen may up and depart because, well, playing time.

Players staying is just a little different in that it also may give you some flexibility with the frosh, but you don't have to integrate them the way you would a portal acquisition. Here in AZ, Adia has said that her most important recruits are players that will stay for an extra season.

As to @oldhuskie commenting on the portal volume - the NCAA may be worried about it, but the truth is players that are eligible for an extra covid year are decreasing each season. There are also numerous cautionary tales out there about not finding a landing place.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Someone closer to Stanford can confirm, but I think Tara usually likes to use up the scholarships she has. There may not be room for Jones without taking a scholarship from another player. A similar situation happened with OSU’s volleyball team. All the seniors transferred out to play their final COVID year because NCAA didn’t extend the policy that let teams go over their scholarship limit. She could transfer for her final year but she may be happy with her Stanford career and ready for the next challenge.
We have two scholarships open for next year, and there's been some speculation one or two of our seniors could return. That said, the speculation was focused more on Hannah Jump and Fran Belibi. Although Jones hasn't definitively said she's gone, no one expects her to stay, and we're not even sure there's a grad program she could be admitted to.

Reaction Score
So at this point it seems like the early in the game beneficiaries of the extra covid year are Tennessee, Iowa and probably Maryland, all good programs with a significant boost from 5th year returnees. More to come.

Reaction Score
NEVER rely on a Maryland player NOT transferring for that fifth year.
If they stayed that long they're probably not going to leave for Year 5. Mimi Collins is the only notable player who left as a grad transfer. That's because (according to Brenda) she couldn't get into grad school, so she left for NCSU.

Reaction Score
NEVER rely on a Maryland player NOT transferring for that fifth year.
The Maryland transfer history hits are getting a little old. However, just for reference, Lavender Briggs and Brinae Alexander have only been at Maryland for one year. Faith Masonius will wind up playing for the Terps for 6 years because of the Covid year and a ACL suffered last season.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
COVID Year eligible seniors have until March 27th to declare for the WNBA draft if they are no longer in the Tournament.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Tara announced Hannah Jump will be back next year and that Ashten Prechtel got her master's and is moving on to play professionally. Going into this season I thought Prechtel would have a bigger role on the team but whenever I watched Stanford, she was buried on the bench. She's a pretty unique player and I think was a catalyst in Stanford winning their championship their sophomore year. Jones is moving on to the WNBA. Only senior with question marks is Belibi.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom