Play Bouknight at point? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Play Bouknight at point?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The past 3 games vs American Conference opponents have all been blowouts. What else do you need to see by the current point guards before opening your mind that our most talented player should have the ball in his hands as much as possible?

We could have Kemba at point and this offense would still have problems.

Also, it takes about two years for a point guard to develop. El-Amin is an outlier on so many ways, and the exception that proves the rule.

Reaction Score
Bouknight is not a bad idea. I think he has the tools even though I still like Gafney. We need to stop the slide and maybe Bouknight is the answer. Worth a try.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Bouknight is not a bad idea. I think he has the tools even though I still like Gafney. We need to stop the slide and maybe Bouknight is the answer. Worth a try.

It is a terrible idea. You will make Bouknight less effective, and grind the whole offensive down. Leave Bouknight on the wing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Grind the offense down? Have you seen the past two games and the Indiana game? How much more could it be ground down?

There is a 30 second shot clock. It takes 5-7 seconds just to get the ball up the court. If Bouk is bringing the ball up, the entire defense is looking at him. Since it is easier to get open away from the ball than with it, for Bouk to get open, he would have to give up the ball, then get it back. This could take 8-10 seconds. Look how much trouble UConn is having running this with Carlton and Gilbert. This could leave UConn with 15 or less seconds to get Bouk a look before someone has to jack up a shot. 15 seconds is not a long time to play defense.

Making Bouk the point will make him less effective as a scorer. Bouk will be better if he is off the ball.

Reaction Score
Grind the offense down? Have you seen the past two games and the Indiana game? How much more could it be ground down?
Agreed. If you can take time to focus on the whole court and watch the movement, you’ll see at least 2 guys (often 3 ) shuffling back and forth not really moving or rotating. The offense is stagnant and even a marginal PG can succeed if the goal is to keep the ball moving rather than move back and above the arc and then high screen drive with 10 seconds on the clock and make something happen.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
One of the other things I like about playing him at the top with the ball in his hands is that it forces him to be engaged in the offense. He has a tendency to disappear at times, become too passive. We need a playmaker.

Reaction Score
I can see both sides of this, but you can go back and name several instances where Bouk has made something really good happen either with the shot clock running down, end of the game possession, or just generally making a move from the top of the key. Good things happen more often than not when the ball is in his hands, and hes a young freshman who will only improve and cut down on turnovers as time goes by.
I dont think playing hin at pg is the answer, however, we should get the ball to him at the top of the key way more often than we currently are, especially when we get down to 15 seconds or less in the shot clock. Even if it becomes predictable bail out offense, what are teams going to do? You cant double team or collapse on him because he's so good that he will find an open man at the 3 pt line or get a lob up to akok or sid, and if you man up against him he will blow by you.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I think your plan is brilliant. In fact we can let the other 4 players stay back ready for defense while Bouk 'probes' the defense? They won't have to go into the front court and stand around and watch Bouk probes the defense', they can stand around in the back court and stay fresh while 'Bouk probes the defense' I appreciate your thinking outside the box but the concept is doomed to failure.

The key to a good program is several Strong Talented Experienced Players (STEP) with high basketball IQ who know their roles and perform those roles. There is not much of that on this team at this point. I believe we are headed into the realm of STEP. It will take 2 or 3 STEPs at a time. Right now DH is developing 3 STEPS and possible 5 STEPs (I don't know if Springs and Cole will qualify) There are 2 more potential STEPs coming next year. The year after that with an estimate of 7 STEPs (and hopefully a couple of STEPs in development) on the team, then UConn gets on the other side of the blowouts.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Often the best solution is the simplest, put the ball in your best playmakers hand, allow him to create. Bouknight also has the best feel for the game on the team and is one of our best passers as well. I’m surprised no one else has suggested this yet. Thoughts?

He did that for about 3-4 minutes against Cinci and it was the only time we were effective. But it's a quasi-point role. AG brings the ball up, passes to Bouknight up top and splits wide as a SG off the ball. The offense runs through Bouknight the way it did through Jalen Adams, and he has Vital, AG or Polley as shooters to his left and right. Bouknight has been wasted down in the corner, and defenses were forcing the ball to the opposite side of the floor.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There is a 30 second shot clock. It takes 5-7 seconds just to get the ball up the court. If Bouk is bringing the ball up, the entire defense is looking at him. Since it is easier to get open away from the ball than with it, for Bouk to get open, he would have to give up the ball, then get it back. This could take 8-10 seconds. Look how much trouble UConn is having running this with Carlton and Gilbert. This could leave UConn with 15 or less seconds to get Bouk a look before someone has to jack up a shot. 15 seconds is not a long time to play defense.

Making Bouk the point will make him less effective as a scorer. Bouk will be better if he is off the ball.

He's not bringing the ball up. He's not a PG, but you can run the offense through him like the offense runs through LeBron James wherever he plays. What we can't do from a shot clock perspective is waste 20 seconds of dribbling by AG and Vital and passes to and handoffs from Josh outside the 3 point line.

AG brings it up, passes to Bouk and splits wide. Polley, Akok or Sid acts as the primary screener with Josh in the post and two shooters wide and Bouk in the middle. They will have to come out on Polley or Akok as screener and stay will him, that means we might force an actual switch, with Bouk getting a mismatch. The guys guarding the wings will need to collapse in the lane, and the guy guarding Josh has to decide to come out or stay with him. We did it for a few minutes and it was effective.

Reaction Score
All respect to Gilbert, but he's no Shabazz, Kemba, Taliek or Ricky Moore. They haven't had a tough LEADER in years. Who can you recall since Shabazz graduated that would identify as the leader of the offense and team? No asking you personally, just in general. It's what this team is desperately lacking.

By no means am I saying Gilbert is as tough as any of these guys but we need to look at it in a relative manner. Kemba had Shabazz, Shabazz had Boat, Taliek had Ben Gordon, Ricky had KEA. While Vital is maybe tough he's not close to the player any of those guys are and especially not this year where he has regressed. AG is behind the 8 ball without another PG or talent to make his job easier. He was fine yesterday for those still wanting another PG but has been inconsistent no doubt. But life is easier when you have another guy who can handle the ball and be dependable to make plays and get it where it supposed to go besides you. This team has no one else it can depend on consistently if defended by a good team. Bouk, love him and his potential but what are you guys watching? He dribbles the ball into trouble as much if not more than AG and while he has great vision throws way too many ill advised weak passes on that end. He needs to be off the ball and have people picking for him so he's coming off shooting or with the step advantage. Let's stop throwing it to him hoping he inca split the double team himself and make a play. He's really good but even the good players need things drawn up to be able to make plays, like Rip and Ray!

Reaction Score
By no means am I saying Gilbert is as tough as any of these guys but we need to look at it in a relative manner. Kemba had Shabazz, Shabazz had Boat, Taliek had Ben Gordon, Ricky had KEA. While Vital is maybe tough he's not close to the player any of those guys are and especially not this year where he has regressed. AG is behind the 8 ball without another PG or talent to make his job easier. He was fine yesterday for those still wanting another PG but has been inconsistent no doubt. But life is easier when you have another guy who can handle the ball and be dependable to make plays and get it where it supposed to go besides you. This team has no one else it can depend on consistently if defended by a good team. Bouk, love him and his potential but what are you guys watching? He dribbles the ball into trouble as much if not more than AG and while he has great vision throws way too many ill advised weak passes on that end. He needs to be off the ball and have people picking for him so he's coming off shooting or with the step advantage. Let's stop throwing it to him hoping he inca split the double team himself and make a play. He's really good but even the good players need things drawn up to be able to make plays, like Rip and Ray!
AG has been consistent.

Reaction Score
Does anyone understand how help defense works?

If you want Bouk to score more, he should play off the ball.

While I agree that book and it should not be the primary goal him there, your point is not really true when it comes to UConn basketball. Kemba, Shabaka, Boatright, and Adams have all been our primary ball handlers and best scorers in recent years. That is very much a product of not having a lot of great offensive sets, and ideally our offense would not require one player to create for himself all the time.

Reaction Score
He was also a sick athlete in his High School/AAU videos. He’s the latest in a long line of Huskies that seemed to have lost their athleticism when they come here. Purvis was never as explosive as he was billed to be, AG was in the McdAA dunk contest, etc.

Sorry, but you are wrong on this. I went to the last 2 games at the XL Center and had very good seats. I was extremely happy with Gaffney's atleticism. Once the kid gets some serious run and his confidence rises, you will see some serious athleticism from him.

Reaction Score
The past 3 games vs American Conference opponents have all been blowouts. What else do you need to see by the current point guards before opening your mind that our most talented player should have the ball in his hands as much as possible?

The guy is a complete buffoon. If there was ever any doubt about it, he has erased it recently.

Reaction Score
I don’t see how the number can get that high tho realistically do you? Unless hurley completely changes course and starts shipping guys out, which I genuinely don’t see

Without speculating about specific individuals, chief and other insiders predicted 4 open schollys for 2020 (not including cole and springs) since the summer time

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Without speculating about specific individuals, chief and other insiders predicted 4 open schollys for 2020 (not including cole and springs) since the summer time
That may very well be the case, I think I would be a little surprised because of the way things have gone and hurleys stance his first two off seasons. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Bfield mentioned UConn going after a big fish with the Gilbert scholly.....let’s hope!

Reaction Score

Although I predict Bouknight future professionally is at the point. But for now he totally lacks experience.
My first move would be Gaffney who seems to see he floor well and is a good passer. That’s it ,see if he can get better looks for his catch and shoot guys.
I think Gilbert simply lacks court vision. Laugh at me but I would play him at the two a bit. With open looks he can shoot as well as anyone. He was always more RB than Bazz in skill set.

Reaction Score
Although I predict Bouknight future professionally is at the point. But for now he totally lacks experience.
My first move would be Gaffney who seems to see he floor well and is a good passer. That’s it ,see if he can get better looks for his catch and shoot guys.
I think Gilbert simply lacks court vision. Laugh at me but I would play him at the two a bit. With open looks he can shoot as well as anyone. He was always more RB than Bazz in skill set.

Gilbert had 8 assists last game. He has court vision, but often exercises questionable judgment (as in driving right into 2 taller defenders). He also plays very small, something that wasn't true of Boat.

Reaction Score
Gilbert had 8 assists last game. He has court vision, but often exercises questionable judgment (as in driving right into 2 taller defenders). He also plays very small, something that wasn't true of Boat.

Bingo - is small and play small I agree. Nervous about Coles for that reason alone but we will stay with this year. He had 8 assists imagine if he had vision? :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom